• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deftones |OT| Working on their 8th studio album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I know this forum has a few Deftones fans (I've also made the Koi No Yokan thread a few years ago), I thought it was a good idea to make an OT for what I consider the BEST BAND IN THE WORLD. Also because their 8th studio album comes out on April 8th 2016.

a5c6uNe.jpg

ABOUT DEFTONES
Deftones are an American alternative metal band from Sacramento, California, founded in 1988. The band consists of Chino Moreno (lead vocals and guitar), Stephen Carpenter (guitar), Sergio Vega (bass), Frank Delgado (keyboards and turntables), and Abe Cunningham (drums and percussion). As of 2009, Sergio Vega is the bass player in the band. Former bassist Chi Cheng became comatose in 2008 after a car accident and died in 2013.

Though initially rooted in heavy metal and often lumped in with nu-metal acts from the '90s like Korn, Deftones have always claimed diverse influences, with their musical style diversifying over their career. Their sound has been described as alternative metal, art rock, experimental rock, nu metal, post-punk, post-hardcore, progressive rock, metalgaze or post-metal, psychedelic rock, rap metal and lately shoegaze. Critic Johnny Loftus writes, "Rock critics usually reserve a special place for Deftones above or at least away from the rest of the turn-of-the-century metal movement [....] Deftones have always seemed more curious, more willing to incorporate traditionally revered sounds like D.C. hardcore and dream pop into their Northern California alt-metal."

Deftones have been cited as an influence by various bands, including the British bands Muse, Fightstar and other modern rock bands such as Linkin Park, Seether, Avenged Sevenfold, 10 Years, System of a Down, and numerous others. In particular, the use of a heavy, downtuned guitar tone played in clean chords is attributed to Deftones. Also distinctive is the way Chino Moreno sings: he switches between high-pitched screams and crooning.

blaQNu5.jpg

DISCOGRAPHY
Want to get into Deftones? Here you can read about their records and listen to some choice samples of some of the best and most popular songs.

Deftones has released 7 original studio albums: Adrenaline, Around The Fur, White Pony, Deftones (often referred to as ST - self titled), Saturday Night Wrist, Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

Between Saturday Night Wrist and Diamond Eyes the band worked on a studio album named Eros, but after Chi Cheng's car accident the band shelved the record and started working on Diamond Eyes with new bassist Sergio Vega.

AyfUB.jpg

Adrenaline (1995)
1. Bored
2. Minus Blindfold
3. One Weak
4. Nosebleed
5. Lifter
6. Root
7. 7 Words
8. Birthmark
9. Engine No. 9
10. Fireal
11. Fist (Hidden Track)

Adrenaline is the debut album by Deftones, released in 1995 through Maverick Records. You can really hear that this first record is a product of its time, with a lot of rap-metal that would fit right at home at an alternative rock party in the 90's where people would listen to Korn, (hed)PE and the like. However, even on this debut you can hear the difference in style between those bands and Deftones, with Chino crooning a lot over songs and some original tempo shifts. Not a classic, but a solid debut, although the production isn't up to today's standards.

Vyfr3.jpg

Around the Fur (1997)
1. My Own Summer (Shove It)
2. Lhabia
3. Mascara
4. Around the Fur
5. Rickets
6. Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
7. Lotion
8. Dai the Flu
9. Headup (featuring Max Cavalera)
10. Mx
11. Damone (Hidden Track)

Around the Fur is the second studio album by Deftones, released in 1997. Around the Fur is the first album to feature Frank Delgado as additional personnel, who would eventually join the band officially in 1999. The song "Headup" features Max Cavalera of Soulfly doing additional vocals. The band expanded its sound, spending more time with Date, and giving more thought to the album's production. The album was praised for its loud-soft dynamics, the flow of the tracks, Moreno's unusual vocals, and the strong rhythm-section grooves created by Cheng and Cunningham.

All in all, Around the Fur is one of the most praised Deftones-records. It's hard, in your face, with great production, but also paves the way for a more emotional, softer and experimental side to the 'Tones, as evident with songs like Mascara and Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away).

2CqSz.jpg

White Pony (2000)
1. Feiticeira
2. Digital Bath
3. Elite
4. Rx Queen (featuring Scott Weiland)
5. Street Carp
6. Teenager
7. Knife Prty
8. Korea
9. Passenger (featuring Maynard James Keenan)
10. Change (In the House of Flies)
11. Pink Maggit
12. The Boy's Republic (Bonus track on Limited Edition)

White Pony is the third studio album by Deftones, released in 2000 and was written by the band in a haunted mansion. During the writing process, various members of the band were under the influence of various drugs (hence the title White Pony, a slang term for cocaine. It marked a significant growth in the band's sound, incorporating new wave, dream pop, trip hop, and shoegazing influences with the alternative metal edge the group had become known for and is considered a turning point for the band in terms of experimentation. To this end, it is generally regarded by fans and critics alike as one of their most mature outings. White Pony is also their highest-selling album to date. White Pony is also the first album to feature Frank Delgado as a full-time member of the band.

Despite being pressured to release the album sooner, the band decided to take their time making the album. Former bassist Chi Cheng explained that "We didn't feel like we had anything to lose, so we made the record we wanted to make." Moreno did not have a common theme in mind lyrically, but made a conscious decision to bring an element of fantasy into his lyrics. Although the band initially wasn't intending to include guest musicians in the record, the album features additional vocals by Maynard James Keenan on "Passenger", Rodleen Getsic on "Knife Prty" and Scott Weiland on "RX Queen".

A year later, Deftones recorder the song "Back to School (Mini Maggit)", a rap-rock version of "Pink Maggit", to show the critics how easy to was to make a straight up pop-rock song. Against their will, the record company released a new version of the White Pony album with "Back to School" as the opening song. The band and fans alike disown this version of the album.

MOQW7.jpg

Deftones (2003)
1. Hexagram
2. Needles and Pins
3. Minerva
4. Good Morning Beautiful
5. Deathblow
6. When Girls Telephone Boys
7. Battle-Axe
8. Lucky You (feat. Reyka Osburn)
9. Bloody Cape
10. Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event
11. Moana

Deftones is the fourth studio album by Deftones. It was released in 2003 through Maverick Records. The album features a broader spectrum of musical styles than previous Deftones records, ranging from some of their heaviest compositions to rather moody trip hop influences, and most of the were recorded with 7 string guitars. It would be the band's final album produced by Terry Date, whose collaboration with Deftones dates back to their 1995 debut, Adrenaline.

Deftones is an eclectic album, with songs spanning many different ideas in diverse genres. It has a much different feel from prior efforts, due in part to Frank Delgado leaving his turntables behind and instead playing keyboards and synthesizers. Most songs on the album make extensive use of the band's low G# tuning and Moreno's instable high screams, resulting on the heaviest songs in the band's catalog. On the other hand, "Lucky You" is a dark soft trip hop-influenced piece featuring DJ Crook from Moreno's side project, the band Team Sleep. A grand piano and toy piano are featured in the mournful "Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event."

The self titled album marked the beginning of a dark period for the band, as tensions between the members rose due to frontman Chino dividing his time between Deftones and his side-project Team Sleep and various divorces and other events happening in the lives of the band members during the writing process. This dark period is very noticable in most of the songs on the Self Titled-album.

qvER1.jpg

Saturday Night Wrist (2006)
1. Hole in the Earth
2. Rapture
3. Beware
4. Cherry Waves
5. Mein (featuring Serj Tankian)
6. U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start
7. Xerces
8. Rats! Rats! Rats!
9. Pink Cellphone (featuring Annie Hardy)
10. Combat
11. Kimdracula
12. Rivière

Saturday Night Wrist is the fifth studio album by Deftones. It was released on Maverick Records in 2006. The record was the product of an arduous and stressful creative process lasting roughly two years and straining relationships within Deftones. Complicating matters, and inspiring many of the album's songs, were frontman Chino Moreno's drug addictions and the crumbling of his marriage. The outcome, however, would be an album met with critical praise.

In interviews since the album's release, vocalist/guitarist Chino Moreno would describe the lyrical subject matter of some of the songs. Moreno explained that "Kimdracula" was part of his email address at the beginning of making the record during his heavy drug use phase. "Beware" is a warning to others about sex, drugs, and drinking, which were the three main problems he encountered during the album's creation. A story Moreno wrote about a witch during his heavy drug use phase would be told in "Rivière". "Cherry Waves" is about testing the trust a person has in someone else. The confusion Moreno experienced when making Saturday Night Wrist was illustrated in the song "Rapture". Communication issues between the band during the making of the album, in which they were quite divided, would be captured in "Hole in the Earth". Moreno explained the record's title being reference to the nerve damage caused when an intoxicated person falls asleep on his or her arm. He elaborated on the title being attributed to "when you're alone on Saturday nights and your only best friend is your shaking wrist..."

shZKl.jpg

Diamond Eyes (2010)
1. Diamond Eyes
2. Royal
3. CMND/CTRL
4. You've Seen the Butcher
5. Beauty School
6. Prince
7. Rocket Skates
8. Sextape
9. Risk
10. 976–EVIL
11. This Place Is Death

Diamond Eyes is the sixth album by Deftones, released in 2010 through Reprise Records. An album tentatively titled Eros was originally intended to be their sixth full-length release and follow up to Saturday Night Wrist (2006), but was not released due to bassist Chi Cheng entering a coma after a serious car accident that occurred in November 2008. The release of Eros was put on hold in favor of Diamond Eyes in June 2009. Former Quicksand bass player, Sergio Vega, is featured on the album in substitution for Cheng.

Diamond Eyes was recorded in two months with producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, Stone Sour, Alice In Chains). Deftones avoided using Pro Tools on the album in favor of writing songs together as a band and practicing them "a million times 'til they were perfect" in order to achieve a more raw and "personable" sound.

After dealing with the tragedy surrounding Chi Cheng's car accident, Deftones wanted to create an album with an overall positive and optimistic vibe. Describing the band's state while writing for the album, Chino Moreno stated, "Our inspiration and unity as a band is stronger than it has ever been before and we needed to channel that energy into our music." The album doesn't feature songs about complaining, hurting, or how "life sucks" – a common lyrical theme Moreno has noticed since the early 90s. Moreno describes the overall theme of the album as a "positive zest for life", and also having "a fantasy vibe" similar to White Pony.

gwU9P1Q.jpg

Koi No Yokan (2012)
1. Swerve City
2. Romantic Dreams
3. Leathers
4. Poltergeist
5. Entombed
6. Graphic Nature
7. Tempest
8. Gauze
9. Rosemary
10. Goon Squad
11. What Happened to You?

Koi No Yokan is the seventh studio album by Deftones. The album was released through Reprise Records in 2012. Band frontman Chino Moreno characterized the album as "dynamic" with a full range of noise, noting that more contributions were made to the album from bassist Sergio Vega compared to their previous record. Although there is no exact translation of the album title, in Japanese the title 恋の予感 (Koi No Yokan) means "Premonition of Love".

The album was met with overall critical acclaim. The aggregate review site Metacritic assigned an average score of 86 to the album based on 18 reviews, indicating "Universal Acclaim". With this score Koi No Yokan was among the eight best reviewed albums of 2012. Gregory Heaney or Allmusic wrote, "While a lot of bands out there have been tinkering with the loud/quiet dynamic for decades now, what makes Deftones so special is their ability to do both at the same time, effectively blending the calm and the storm into a single sound."

Ex0Xcfw.jpg

Gore (april 8th 2016)
1. Prayers/Triangles
2. Acid Hologram
3. Doomed User
4. Geometric Headdress
5. Hearts/Wires
6. Pittura Infamante
7. Xenon
8. (L)mirl
9. Gore
10. Phantom Bride
11. Rubicon

Listen to the first track, Prayers/Triangles, here.

Listen to the second released track, Doomed User, here.

iATjO.jpg

So, with this information out of the way, feel free to discuss anything and everything related to Deftones right here, right now!

YES! A fellow Deftones fan. I'm excited as well!

How would you rank the albums from favorite to least favorite?

Here's my list:

1. White Pony
2. Koi No Yokan
3. Around the Fur
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Self Titled
6. Saturday Night Wrist
7. Adrenaline

Great band. Its beyond impressive how consistent they've been and for how long. A majority of bands fall off after a few years.

Can't really rank the albums, but white pony is my favorite overall. Nostalgia and all that
...Team Sleep's new album...
Whoa whoa whoa. is this confirmed?!

PillarEN

That's quite a thorough OT for an album. Deftones are great. Respect to any band that still produces high quality albums after 2 decades.
EDIT- oh it's an official topic for the band

That's quite a thorough OT for an album. Deftones are great. Respect to any band that still produces high quality albums after 2 decades.
EDIT- oh it's an official topic for the band

Haha yep I thought what the heck, might as well have an OT for this band so that we can keep discussing in here.

These guys have yet to make a bad album imo.

Looking forward to the new one!

I agree, they don't have a bad album.

Anyone else care to make a top list of their records? I'm curious!

Leatherface

Diamond Eyes if my absolute favorite Deftones album. It's simply amazing that a band who has been around for as long as they have put out their BEST work so late into their career. A true testament of how amazing they are. Looking forward to the new release. :)

Diamond Eyes if my absolute favorite Deftones album. It's simply amazing that a band who has been around for as long as they have put out their BEST work so late into their career. A true testament of how amazing they are. Looking forward to the new release. :)

I agree that Diamond Eyes is a fantastic record. Way more cohersive than S.T. and especially SNW. A true cohesive sound, Chino on top of his game again, great production and some classic songs. To me, it felt that Diamond Eyes started a new era for Deftones, where they embrace their more 'mainstream' sound (without really being mainstream of course) and losing the last of their 'true metal' sound. Which is okay by me, we all grow up, so do the band. The band seems to have so much fresh energy since Diamond Eyes, something they continued with Koi No Yokan and hopefully the new record.

I was a pretty solid Deftones fan, but it appears I missed out on their last album.

I should get my hands on that soon.

Do it! To me it feels like a mix between Diamond Eyes and White Pony. Well, it is its own unique album of course, just like all their records are unique, but if I had to describe it, that would be the way.

PillarEN

Ok I'm guilty of not listening to all their material in a thorough way.
So if I rank the albums I've listened to the most it is as follows
1. White Pony ( this is just an insanely good album. I have the EU version :) )
2. Self Titled (I just really like the vibe. Don't understand why this one gets put down)
3. Koi no Yokan (I've listened to this one a lot)
4. Adrenaline (kind of love-hate the production. I like the viciousness in this one)
5. Diamond Eyes (Like it. Not crazy about it but I like it)
6.7. Yeah the other two records I never listened to too much. Mainly familiar with the singles.

RC

Banned

Diamond Eyes is to me their most complete album, and the one I go back to most often.

Completely forget that they have a new album coming out this year, thanks for the OT.

I've dabbled in their discography. Koi no Yokan's the most familiar (I'm a big fan of the album cover and, well, it's their most recent, so I gravitated on that basis), but White Pony and a bit of Around the Fur seem like great stuff. Really mature blending of genres and figurative lyrics.

Revolver

Funny I was just listening to Diamond Eyes. Love Sextape. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Chino does. Really enjoyed Crosses too. Looking forward to the new album.

FUCK YEAH, DEFTONES! I remember being not knowing much about them in the 90's except the fact that I LOVED 'Be quiet and drive' the rare time the radio played it. When I discovered White Pony, it was a revelation. I knew these guys were destined for much more than the messy muck of nu-metal left in the wastes. Probably my favourite contemporary band.

i thought the plan was to release eros next, hmm.

Nope. Chino has said in interviews that they perhaps plan to eventually release Eros. Problem is that the album isn't quite finished and that some elements have been used on Diamond Eyes and KNY, if I recall correctly. Like the intro from Beauty School, that's lifted from Eros. Still, it would be awesome if they release it online as a curiosity for fans. As far as I'm aware, all project names for the songs were stripper names, like for instance Melanie, lol. Makes me think that 'Rosemary' from KNY was originally an Eros-song as well.

By the way, I've seen them around 8 times live now. I started seeing them live around the time ST was released. Man they were bad live in those years. Chino gained a lot of weight and had his drugs problem. Since Diamond Eyes they're great live!

I've been listening to them since Around the Fur. White Pony was the album that made them one of my favorites, though.

Fucking awesome

They're one of my favourite bands, and the only album I'm not a fan of is Saturday Night Wrist. Diamond Eyes was amazing, though, and better than Koi No Yukan, which was also good.

It's hard to rate them, but I really like Around the Fur, White Pony and Diamond Eyes. I don't even know if I've listened to much off Adrenaline, for some reason.

Fucking awesome

They're one of my favourite bands, and the only album I'm not a fan of is Saturday Night Wrist.

I love some songs on that record, but I find it one of the least satisfying records because its all over the place. All their other records feel like 'one', if you know what I mean. The songs fit together and make you want to listen to the records from front to back. I don't have that with SNW. Plus, the production is all over the place. I think that's because it took so long to record, with struggles within the band, and two different producers (Bob Ezrin and Shaun Lopez).

This was my favorite band growing but I havent loved anything they've done since White Pony. Any album after the self titled has been listened to once and never again. I'll do the same for this and hopefully its worth a second spin.

I love some songs on that record, but I find it one of the least satisfying records because its all over the place. All their other records feel like 'one', if you know what I mean. The songs fit together and make you want to listen to the records from front to back. I don't have that with SNW. Plus, the production is all over the place. I think that's because it took so long to record, with struggles within the band, and two different producers (Bob Ezrin and Shaun Lopez).

I agree, and share the same thoughts. I like Hole in the Earth and a couple of other songs, but the album just doesn't interest me much as a whole.

I didn't know about the two producers thing.

Years ago, around 2002/2003, my friend introduced me to Deftones. He loved them, and was also a korn fan like myself. However, I couldn't get into them. Even when I saw them live at Summer Sanitarium 2003, I wasn't a huge fan. Nor were they great live.

Over the last several years, though, I've become a big fan. They're now one of my favourite bands, as mentioned. I've seen them live two-three times since and they've been a lot better live, too.

I absolutely loved Koi No Yokan, but I seriously hope they take a turn back towards the direction they were going with Diamond Eyes.

Diamond Eyes is incredible, easily stands up against White Pony and Around The Fur.

Zakalwe

Banned
Around The fur is the best thing they'll ever do. Moody, sex, dark, seeping in atmosphere. White Pony is very good, but it lacks the urgency.

Around the fur
-
-
-
-
-
White Pony
Diamond Eyes
Adrenaline
-
-
-
The Rest

-

I've seen them about 7 times. One time they came back on for an encore and played the entirity of Adrenaline from start to finish. Incredible.

Subbed,

I've only just got into Deftones a few weeks back and they're all i've listened too.
Seriously cannot get enough of them.

Feel like i've missed out so much though.
Diamond eyes album does it for me with "Youve seen the butcher" and "Rocket Skates" being my jammmmsssss.

Tried listening to Team Sleep but just end up going back to Deftones haha.

Since seeing this thread last night Ive had Adrenaline -> Around the Fur on repeat.
So many fun times, fun shows associated with those albums.

Checked to see if they are touring..not yet. If I get to see them again I hope its a lot better than last time when Chino was an obese fuck still trying dress like a hood and sounded like shit.

Weird that these guys were the contemporaries of bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit and that whole Family Values Tour crowd and actually hold up today. Those first three albums are huge.

Weird that these guys were the contemporaries of bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit and that whole Family Values Tour crowd and actually hold up today. Those first three albums are huge.
Deftones' music aged a whole hell of a lot better than Korn's. How Korn thought they were in the same artistic league is beyond me.

They made it a point to specifically separate themselves from the nu-metal scene around when Around the Fur came out. They actively disdained being considered nu-metal.

I'm so fucking excited. This and Team Sleep's new album. MAN I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED

Wait, this is happening?!

Also, speaking of Team Sleep, I NEED a poster-sized image of this:

team-sleep-1.jpg

I didn't know the Deftons were still around. I kinda lost interest after 'Around the fur', but was a huge fan of 'Adrenaline' at the time.

I'll check this out. Thanks for the head's up OP.

Nope. Chino has said in interviews that they perhaps plan to eventually release Eros. Problem is that the album isn't quite finished and that some elements have been used on Diamond Eyes and KNY, if I recall correctly. Like the intro from Beauty School, that's lifted from Eros. Still, it would be awesome if they release it online as a curiosity for fans. As far as I'm aware, all project names for the songs were stripper names, like for instance Melanie, lol. Makes me think that 'Rosemary' from KNY was originally an Eros-song as well.

By the way, I've seen them around 8 times live now. I started seeing them live around the time ST was released. Man they were bad live in those years. Chino gained a lot of weight and had his drugs problem. Since Diamond Eyes they're great live!

I've been listening to them since Around the Fur. White Pony was the album that made them one of my favorites, though.

ah, yeah releasing it at some point as a curiosity would be great but i'm guessing it's hard, either emotionally or contractually, to do.

i saw them at download festival around white pony's release and they/chino was dire. completely wasted the entire time.

i was meant to see them again, this time in london with support from a perfect circle but our car broke down on the way there, haha.
years later a friend would tell me how that gig would go down. apparently chino was once again a dick and taunted the fans for wanting them to perform passanger with maynard. made me feel a bit better for missing it, ha!

hypotc

Smile is a beautiful song. I love mellow Deftones like this.

Some of my favorite tunes are Xerces, Beware, Cherry Waves, Beauty School, Sextape, Diamond Eyes and Gauze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom