• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This probably sounds incredibly stupid, since there's no proper method to simulate this, but is there some mockup on the internet that at least comes close to show how the supposedly bad resolution and maybe the viewing area roughly looks like?

After reading all the critical voices I expect original Doom like pixelation on every game.

Mathieran

Banned
Reading these threads are a roller coaster of emotions for me. I get pumped with the people that love it, and my hype deflates with the critical receptions. Don't think I will get a chance to try it out before my order comes in, so gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Considering that I think the Wii U game pad looks fine I'll probably be fine, though. Not too picky about graphics.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Reading these threads are a roller coaster of emotions for me. I get pumped with the people that love it, and my hype deflates with the critical receptions.

Haha, same here :D I will probably not try it out until my preorder arrives though, even while visiting Gamescom, since I kinda want to preserve the "wow". If there is a "wow".

I also don't want to sour my preorder in case it's actually crap.

theWB27

This probably sounds incredibly stupid, since there's no proper method to simulate this, but is there some mockup on the internet that at least comes close to show how the supposedly bad resolution and maybe the viewing area roughly looks like?

After reading all the critical voices I expect original Doom like pixelation on every game.

IQ reminded me of something like Mario cart on wiiU.

I did the shark demo btw

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The next demo I tried was the shark Cage. I wanted to try this one just as a change of pace from Battle Zone. And I wanted to compare it to the under sea demo on Galaxy Gear. Needless to say the PSVR demo felt like a generation ahead. This game also gave me the greatest sense of presence. I KNEW I was seating in a Best Buy playing a game, but some primitive part of my brain was completely fooled in to "feeling" like there was a big ass shark a foot away from my face. I just can't explain it. I was There and It was there with me! Trippy experience.

They don't let or encourage you to stand for shark cage?

Just like on a normal game, VR games will be running at different resolutions and using different AA and post process techniques that will affect their final look. Some will be sharper than others.

Mathieran

Banned
Haha, same here :D I will probably not try it out until my preorder arrives though, even while visiting Gamescom, since I kinda want to preserve the "wow". If there is a "wow".

I also don't want to sour my preorder in case it's actually crap.

Yeah I'm in the same boat except I simply won't have the opportunity. I would try it if I could, cause 500 bucks is a big gamble for me. I'm hoping if I don't like it I can resell it easily since stock is supposed to be short.

theWB27

Games look awful

PSVR was a mistake

I also wouldn't pay things like this statement any attention at all if you're on the fence.

They don't look awful and this will be one of the best thins to ever happen to gaming. +1 for being able to use the psvr for things other than just games.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I also wouldn't pay things like this statement any attention at all if you're on the fence.

They don't look awful and this will be one of the best thins to ever happen to gaming. +1 for being able to use the psvr for things other than just games.

PSVR is disappointing if you've used Rift or Vive before, but it's a good entry level platform if you don't have a gaming PC.

If they're on the fence they should see firsthand how awful it looks

Tjamato88

Are there any other locations being added?

There's one near me but it's like an hour away. It's also in a bad part of town so I'm not sure why they picked that one.

Soi-Fong

PSVR is disappointing if you've used Rift or Vive before, but it's a good entry level platform if you don't have a gaming PC.

I disagree with this statement. I've spent countless hours in the Rift and Vive both professionally for work and for play and what PSVR offers is on-par with both. I'd say exceeds in some cases, just because of how comfortable the HMD is.

If anything, what PSVR is will lag behind is in graphical fidelity, but one of the many things you learn devving for this medium is that realistic graphics isn't a requirement for presence.

I felt like the image quality was a step down from the TV that they had hooked up to the system as well. Are people not finding this to be true?

jusufin

I disagree with this statement. I've spent countless hours in the Rift and Vive both professionally for work and for play and what PSVR offers is on-par with both. I'd say exceeds in some cases, just because of how comfortable the HMD is.

If anything, what PSVR is will lag behind is in graphical fidelity, but one of the many things you learn devving for this medium is that realistic graphics isn't a requirement for presence.

Yup, I've got a Rift and I still use and love the Gear VR despite it being vastly inferior to both the PSVR and PC VR.

Games look awful

PSVR was a mistake
As long as they are up on framerate it doesn't matter, TBH.

There was some tech demo a while back of a room being remade using several Kinects to record and render a room. It looked like absolute butt. Textures were popping in/out. Defined edges were fuzzy/distorting constantly - but the peeps in the room were still convinced.

Sitting in a chair at a table, you saw people swiveling their chairs instinctively moving their legs out of the way of the low poly table, avoiding shit that wasn't there, etc. Your brain believed it.

Framerate is what will matter. Your brain doesn't know the difference between real vs not real. It only knows via stimulus and goes from there.

Screen door, low poly, etc - if the VR implementation is spot on when moving/turning/FOV/etc - your brain can be fooled.

Also, drive-bys without explanation add so little to the discussion.

I'm waiting at my Best Buy now lol. Dude left the stuff here and walked away...probably not the best of ideas. Apparently it was at this Best Buy yesterday too, but not on the schedule.

Got to try one out at a local Best Buy in Illinois yesterday, so I will give my brief impression.

Comfort -- First thing I noticed is just how comfortable this headset truly is. I have only used a Gear VR and a strap-ified Google Cardboard in the past. I haven't tried the Rift or the Vive, but you can rest assured, having the weight of the headset rest on the top of your head instead of your face is completely superior in every way. You can probably wear this thing for hours on end without issue, something that I cannot say about my Gear VR.

Display -- While the image is not as sharp as my Galaxy S7 Edge in my Gear VR, it is still enjoyable to look at. Text can be a bit blurry and difficult to read in some instances, but that could be attributed to foggy lenses or the impromptu placement of the headset on my skull. Either way, the resolution will not hold back this device from providing convincing VR experiences, and I am very pleased with what I saw. I will make note of one other thing, and I hope others can chime in, but the image brightness seemed somewhat low on my demo unit.. It may just be that I'm used to the super-bright AMOLED display of the Galaxy, but I figured it's worth a mention.

FOV -- The FOV of this headset is very nice. Having moved up the ranks from Carboard - Gear - PSVR, I can appreciate that I do not get the "ski goggle effect" that I get with the lower tier headsets. Not much else to say on this subject, but I do not see any cause for concern regarding FOV issues.

Gameplay -- I got to play Battlezone, and I had quite a good time with it in my brief 10 minute adventure. The cockpit was very detailed with bits of info scattered about, and the general aesthetic of the game was very vibrant, and very energetic. Will definitely pick this one up on release.

Final Thoughts -- After trying out the headset, I think I will be keeping my pre-order. With the pure comfort of the device, coupled with the extensive support of developers making awesome games and experiences, I can see myself spending tens of hours inside these virtual worlds. I am confident that PSVR will remain a staple in the Playstation line-up.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What are all the demos available? I want to decide beforehand which one is the best to try out.

Soi-Fong

What are all the demos available? I want to decide beforehand which one is the best to try out.

Battlezone (Cockpit hover-tank game)
Eve Valkyrie (Cockpit dogfighting game)
VR Worlds(Underwater Observation Experience)
SuperHyperCube (abstract puzzle game)

VR Heist is only available in Gamestop as there's too many f-bombs dropped and too violent for BB.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Battlezone (Cockpit hover-tank game)
Eve Valkyrie (Cockpit dogfighting game)
VR Worlds(Underwater Observation Experience)
SuperHyperCube (abstract puzzle game)

VR Heist is only available in Gamestop as there's too many f-bombs dropped and too violent for BB.

Thanks. Hmmmm, I might have to make the longer drive to Gamestop if that's the case.

edit: It's only a few minutes difference but I'd have to go today if I wanted to go before next weekend. BB is tomorrow.

Go to post 416 in this thread, someone posted some off screen screenshots of the ps vita screen. I'd say the PSVR battle zone demo looks very close to the third ps vita screen posted, except PSVR is just a bit more blurrier.

EDIT: here's the screenshot

DSC01799.jpg.html

Go to post 416 in this thread, someone posted some off screen screenshots of the ps vita screen. I'd say the PSVR battle zone demo looks very close to the third ps vita screen posted, except PSVR is just a bit more blurrier.

EDIT: here's the screenshot

DSC01799.jpg~original

Wait, so my experience wasn't a fluke? That image quality is standard and normal?

theWB27

I felt like the image quality was a step down from the TV that they had hooked up to the system as well. Are people not finding this to be true?

It's very true.

I posted on the last page how much I was shocked at the difference until my eyes adjusted.

I've tempered my expectations for every game they've shown.

Jetku

Going to try it in Brick NJ soon - hoping there's not much of a line.

What's the setup, and how have turnouts been? Multiple units? What are the demos?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Reading these threads are a roller coaster of emotions for me. I get pumped with the people that love it, and my hype deflates with the critical receptions. Don't think I will get a chance to try it out before my order comes in, so gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Considering that I think the Wii U game pad looks fine I'll probably be fine, though. Not too picky about graphics.

I'll say this as I've tried it multiple times, have come to grips with its limitations and have one pre ordered- the negative responses are more accurate than the positive so far in this thread

The iq difference is very noticeable between the screen and the headset. As others have mentioned the image is a lot softer, and some smaller details are more smudged/blurry. The graphics are basically PS3 level or worse for the vast majority of what I have tried.

I think for people who go in with realistic expectations, it'll be a good experience for the most part. There is light bleed at the bottom of the headset no matter how much you adjust as well. It's very comfortable and the head tracking is perfect.

That being said a lot of people are expecting ps4 level visuals and it's simply not that. The iq is noticeably downgraded, the fidelity just isn't there. It's nice and it's a very unique experience but I think some people assume vr is a lot easier to accomplish than it is. I think this is a jumping off point for Sony, and they're likely looking to build up a strong install base for next gen and make vr essentially a requirement for most if not all games similar to remote play.

Drewfonse

Isn't the new resident evil going to be psvr compatible? I wonder if it will look the same as playing on a TV, IQ and frame rate wise?

Wait, so my experience wasn't a fluke? That image quality is standard and normal?
All VR devices--not just PSVR--have IQ issues. The optics are taking a flat screen and distorting it, leading to variably-sized pixels. This is the worst-case scenario for SDE, color coherence, smear, fresnel artifacts, and so on.

Until we have extremely high-res displays, the only meaningful question is "Does the presence effect outweigh the visual flaws?". That's going to be subjective for each user, and for each game (depending on how their tech and design match with the display's strengths and weaknesses).

Shancake

At a session now and it's an absolute nightmare. Been standing here for an hour and the unit still isn't working properly. Keeps turning off and disconnecting from TV. The guy was also 45 minutes late setting up.

GreekWolf

I greatly appreciate everyone's impressions in this thread, as I won't have an opportunity to demo one myself before Oct.

It sounds like the PSVR tech has an extremely promising future but might not be quite *there* yet for those who expect greater visual fidelity. I'm thinking that I'll switch my preorder to the Neo for this year and revisit the PSVR when it's running Neo games.

Jetku

One demo unit in Brick, NJ. A line of "one" in front of me..

The Sony rep is running into issues getting it set up and running.

bDA8pEK.jpg

Fuck, been in lines for over 40 mins, and only half way through the line. I should have eaten before I came here, hunger setting in like a mother. Wasn't expecting like 30+ people to be here before the event even started.

Top Bottom