• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

I tried it today at the BB in Burbank, IL. The guy was very nice and informative. He was really good at explaining things about the headset and the future content with PSVR. It was my first experience with VR and I walked away sold on it. I was skeptical about VR but wanted to give it a try for myself.

Pros:

-The headset weighs next to nothing. It sits comfortably and you barely notice it once it's on

-The ocean demo I played was really cool. You sit in a cage that gets lowered deeper into the ocean. The few "surprises" in the demo didn't make me jump or anything because I saw other people play it, but it's a great intro for a first time experience. I can see my non-gaming family members enjoy a simple demo like that

-I enjoyed the demo so much that I'm going to a different store next weekend to try The Heist

-It will be super immersive with my Pulse Elites. They had surround headphones there but they weren't super great

Cons:

-A tiny bit of light was creeping in from the bottom. But once I readjusted it was fine

Looks like I'm going to preorder it as soon as any preorders go up again. I can't wait to get my hands on it again!

hwy_61

Banned
I tried it today at the BB in Burbank, IL. The guy was very nice and informative. He was really good at explaining things about the headset and the future content with PSVR. It was my first experience with VR and I walked away sold on it. I was skeptical about VR but wanted to give it a try for myself.

Pros:

-The headset weighs next to nothing. It sits comfortably and you barely notice it once it's on

-The ocean demo I played was really cool. You sit in a cage that gets lowered deeper into the ocean. The few "surprises" in the demo didn't make me jump or anything because I saw other people play it, but it's a great intro for a first time experience. I can see my non-gaming family members enjoy a simple demo like that

-I enjoyed the demo so much that I'm going to a different store next weekend to try The Heist

-It will be super immersive with my Pulse Elites. They had surround headphones there but they weren't super great

Cons:

-A tiny bit of light was creeping in from the bottom. But once I readjusted it was fine

Looks like I'm going to preorder it as soon as any preorders go up again. I can't wait to get my hands on it again!

were there a lot of people in line?

Ashtar

Im in line in Maryland Sony dude claims the line was out the door earlier he's running it a little late to get everyone in
Shout out to the couple with the baby and the mom was really dedicated to getting her turn, I'll post impressions in a few when I play.

Tsosie

So I am pretty much sold on PSVR based on the content I have seen that is being released. I have my pre-order in already. Should I try it out now or wait until it shows up? I am hyped to go try it, but at the same time I am kind of excited for my first experience to be at home with no lines or end time.

hwy_61

Banned
So I am pretty much sold on PSVR based on the content I have seen that is being released. I have my pre-order in already. Should I try it out now or wait until it shows up? I am hyped to go try it, but at the same time I am kind of excited for my first experience to be at home with no lines or end time.

By the time it comes out, everything will be refined and ready to go(hopefully).

I don't think there's any harm in trying it out. We're months away from the release.

it's the holy grail of gaming i've been waiting for over 25 years.

i tried an early prototype version of Oculus and it had that limited view, i thought it was just because it was a prototype...

i don't want half-assed VR, it needs to be absolutely perfect when i first try it, to make it worth the decades long wait. (Oculus protype doesnt count because it was so shitty lol, didnt really give me a good idea of whats possible).

No offense but if you think Oculus "doesn't count" as a representation of the potential of VR even with the prototype you're fairly closed off perceptually. Even DK1 felt pretty amazing at the time even with the blurriness of the display and blur/streaking.

Don't you think the engineers that have been working on this stuff at Sony, Valve/HTC, and Oculus have chosen their respective FOV ranges for good reason? It's performance, pure and simple. There ain't no way a PS4, or heck most gaming pcs, will be able to drive a higher fov at the current resolution standard for this gen of hmds (1080/1440) unless you use the most basic of assets and lighting. At that point you'd likely just shift complaints to visuals lol. It's a game of tradeoffs until both the hardware and tech become more ubiquitous. Realistic expectations, you need em :p

Ellite25

Went to Gamestop today to try it, there were about 15 people in line so I just left. Guess I'll find out what it's like on release day lol

valeu

they don't have best buys here but i'm enjoying the impressions in this thread. i have a psvr pre-ordered which i guess i won't get to try and see if i like it until launch day. but i have a google cardboard and even that is amazing to me, so i think my biggest worry is what games to get for launch

So Ray really liked Battlezone, including how it was inverted by default. I got a chance to try out Super Hyper Cube which was really awesome and you had to actually lean in and around the cubes in front of you to see the shape they had to fit through. We filmed each other's experience and a few others there (they tried Headmaster, Eve Valkyrie, VR Worlds). Will post video once it's done uploading, but for now here are some pictures.

ik1EIM6h.jpg

ZGPjwHvh.jpg

qaIvWHxh.jpg

D48ZHnwh.jpg

xkramz

You can see the individual squares of the pixels making up the screen because they are so close to your eyes.

I guess Schaumburg, IL was yesterday only? I went to the Best Buy site and they only have Joliet, Burbank and the HIP. Sucks man.

Did you ever press your nose up against a screen door when you were a kid? That's kinda how the picture looks in VR sometimes.

okay thanks. i notice this a lot with the samsung GEAR vr

Much better experience earlier today. Still had trouble getting a clear vision after spending more time doing adjustments, but that problem was mostly in the center (could see just fine looking from other angles). I could still see what I was doing (decided to go for Battle Zone instead of the EVE demo). Not sure if I'll get PS VR down the line, but if I do, I'm gonna spend as much time as I need to get a clear view from every angle

Gurrry

So im def gonna go try this probably next week. However, does the headset really not block out all outside light? That seems like it would be a deal breaker for me. I want the headset to block all my vision to the outside world. Does it do that?

Mass One

I got a chance to try it today. I liked. Worked well with my big frame glasses. Couldn't play London Heist because it was M-Rated. But the guy told me that the Gamestop Demos were up to the individual managers.

I tried the Eve Valkyrie at my local Best Buy today in Burbank IL. It was my first taste of true VR (not counting cardboard). I gotta say I left with a very positive feeling towards it. Game has moments where you just feel really immersed. Such as the beginning when you're starting up the ship and flying off into space. Gives you that sense of "oh shit". The gameplay was pretty basic for the most part. You aim around and shoot the red targets. I had a moment where I getting close to the big ships and felt like I was going to crash into one so that definitely made my body feel like oh crap I gotta move. The inside of the ship has nice little details on the right shoes your boost charging up and when it's being used. It left me wanting to play a bunch of other Vr games.

Forgot to add in shout out to Nick who was super kind, funny, and overall very helpful!

So Ray really liked Battlezone, including how it was inverted by default. I got a chance to try out Super Hyper Cube which was really awesome and you had to actually lean in and around the cubes in front of you to see the shape they had to fit through. We filmed each other's experience and a few others there (they tried Headmaster, Eve Valkyrie, VR Worlds). Will post video once it's done uploading, but for now here are some pictures.
Unless all BestBuys are exactly the same AND have identical photographers, this is Dublin?

I was at the Dublin CA BB today and was one of the first to test it out. Tried out the PSVR world demo featuring an underwater demo and I was moderately impressed. The headset felt fine and fit comfortably on my head. The demo itself was good looking, though clearly not as crisp as you would see on a normal screen. It was my first VR experience so I was relatively impressed by it all and there were a couple of times that I felt like I wanted to reach out to things in the game. I generally get pretty nauseous on 3D rides, but this didn't get me as bad. I could imagine a longer more intense demo would however. Overall it impressed me, but not enough to go out and preorder a headset.

The technology is new and will without doubt go through some reworking. Until Sony or whatever company has a solid catalog of experiences delivered at reasonable price and package I won't be biting. We'll see if it takes off.. At the price point and requirements Sony is requiring, I have my doubts.

Wow, my local BB is actually going to get this, and has a lot of dates too. Never get any of the special events here normally, so I'll probably end up going at some point.

So im def gonna go try this probably next week. However, does the headset really not block out all outside light? That seems like it would be a deal breaker for me. I want the headset to block all my vision to the outside world. Does it do that?

Depends if you wear glasses and if you adjust it properly, most people manage to fix it with a couple of adjustments and if not you get so immersed in the world sometimes you forget it's there. In no way that would be a deal breaker though. If anything you can play it at night or in a dark room lol.

Edit:

Amazing, nice footage thanks for sharing it.

Tried it out for about five minutes today while at work in the Potomac Mills store. I was able to test out EVE Valkyrie and loved it. The headset is very comfortable and fits over glasses perfectly. I was surprised at how having bifoical lenses didn't hurt things, and I still felt like I had a rich gaming experience even with only having one eye. The graphical quality was outstanding and I didn't have any issues with motion sickness.

The weirdest part was playing the game without having the world around me as a focus - it was strange, but cool and it took a bit of time to get used to not being able to see where the controller was. Not sure if I'm going to get PSVR day one, but I'll definitely get it at some point.

Ogni-XR21

Great impressions, keep em coming!

I wonder if some people having problems getting a clear view would do better if they could adjust the eye distance. AFAIK this is something that will bet set in the user settings on the PS4 (so each individual user on your system can adjust this individually). Or is this something they adjust when you get to play a demo?

That external processing box looks really ugly. Literally just a sharp-cornered box that looks straight out of the 80's. It's also much bigger than I imagined. I hope they can make it a bit sleeker (and smaller) before release.

How long are the cables from that external box to the headset? I want to hide that thing, but my sofa is about 10 feet away from the TV.

[boots]

I'm kinda disappointed that they're not showing RIGS. I don't know why I assumed that that would be there.

Well, considering how time-constrained they seem, I doubt they want the added hassles of multiplayer connectivity problems, matchmaking delays, long matches etc.

But yeah, that game looks like it would sell a good amount of people on the idea of a PSVR purchase so I can definitely see them adding it later on

Went to the MN Best Buy earlier today with my GF to check this out.

The line was pretty long when we got there (ended up waiting about an hour and a half in line), but I felt like it was worth the wait. The headgear felt a lot more comfortable and lightweight then I expected. I played the Super Hyper Cube demo and it was a level of engagement in video games I've never experienced before (note: this was my first VR experience) - very intuitive to play and got me excited for the potential of VR. My GF played Deep Sea Dive and was visibly tense at some of the shark moments (despite seeing that demo over and over again in line haha).

Overall we were both sold on PSVR. I might not be day one adopter (most due to monetary reasons), but I am now secretly hoping for a RE7 PSVR bundle. Pls Sony and Capcom

Saganator

I'm interested to know how the more casual types are reacting to VR in Best Buy? Are the demos getting a lot of onlookers? Are the people who haven't been waiting for this tech for years enjoying it?

akileese

I went to the BB in Lewisville, TX and I was first there. Waltzed in about 1115 or so, got a ticket and they were up and running by 11:45. Not a ton of people but only one station. It felt really good. No screen door. I did Eve Valkryie and immediately started going inverted and doing a ton of barrel rolls to see if it would make me sick (it didn't). Overall, it felt really well and I'm glad I've got it preordered.

Hilariously enough, the most exciting idea of VR to see is to strap that headset on my parents to see their reaction. Thanksgiving is going to be mighty interesting.

I'm interested to know how the more casual types are reacting to VR in Best Buy? Are the demos getting a lot of onlookers? Are the people who haven't been waiting for this tech for years enjoying it?

I want to know this too.

They had it set up right by the entrance and yeah there was a definite wow factor for people walking in, seeing it, and making comments to the people they were with.

I saw an older couple probably in their 50s try it out. The woman tried the shark demo and was genuinely startled and screaming at the jump scares, but had a smile on her face the whole time.

[*]I wore my glasses while playing, I could had just taken them off but the guy insisted I wore them (I suppose to get feedback on how I felt wearing glasses with the headset?) I felt like the headset should had been more on my face then it was. If I looked down I could see the light from the store and my pants so that wasn't that great. :/ The headset fits fine on glasses, I just don't think it was properly adjusted and the guy working was pretty keen on not having me mess around with the headset.

That's quite the opposite of my experience. The people at my store were very thorough about explaining how to put the headset on and adjust it. I wore glasses, and the fit was fine. I didn't notice any outside light. It wasn't as sharp as I was expecting it to be, but I'm not sure if that was because of my glasses or if that's just how it is. My friend who didn't wear glasses said it looked a bit blurry too though.

I went to best buy at mount vernon ny at 11:50, the demo unit was set and i was second in line. There was only me and the guy infront if me. My wife was with me so she decided to try it.

The sony rep was super nice, very informative and just happy to be there showing us the vr unit.

The guy infront of me plaid the space game. It looked fun.
My turn came and i appretiated the sony rep cleaning the head set thoroughly with wipes that had sony on them i thought that was cool.

Like some members said, the headset is light, the heavy part was on top so you dont feel it pushing down the eye area.
Very comfy, but i felt like there was some light slipping inside from the bottom. Maybe i needed to adjust it better.

I chose the deep sea demo. I wont go into detail as i want people to experience it themselves but i felt in there, i was in the ocean. My heart was pounding and i felt claustrophobic yet i was in awe of what i was seeing. I honestly have never felt like this since i bought ps1 and played resident evil.

My wife was next and even though she only plays nintendo games she was going crazy screaming when certain things happened in the demo.

She said nintendo should make one so we can play mario or mario kart in vr.

All in all i was sold on vr. Watching e3 i was like stop putting vr in every game, now i cant waiiiiit to play star wars or reaident evil in vr.

The future is here and im glad im young enough to experience it.

Well done sony.

We're in the same boat. I did try a vector graphics top down strategy gear vr game an indie dev was working on for about 3 minutes but my first true and extensive experience will be at home day one and I'm excited about that.

Top Bottom