• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats bracing for town hall protests directed at them ask Bernie Sanders for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

This is the jewel of the problem, I think.

People in this country are struggling, and they want actual solutions. For the left, it is increasingly being aimed to arm a message and a direction, to support actual policies, movements, and ideas, that it seems the Democrats, at least higher up, do not understand.

I would imagine most of the Democratic party is like Nancy Pelosi. When even questioned about the failure of social policy of the last 35+ years -- particularly neoliberal Capitalism -- she doubles down on Capitalism and makes excuses, saying it's "shareholder Capitalism" as if that's some fluke. She wouldn't even concede with a Millennial who even asked her to open her horizons regarding a new approach. You know, the same generation hating Capitalism almost in full because it's become a machine to exploit, abuse, and they have nothing to show for even trying to "follow the American Dream" within it. They don't hate it because they're lazy; they hate it because it's not fucking working for most people in this society. People like Sanders and Warren have been political beacons for this for many years, but I would imagine people have become far more active as they see neoliberal Capitalism be replaced with neonational Capitalism, which is several degrees worse, offers no solutions, and makes several bullshit narratives of scapegoating that only promise things get worse.

This "old guard" really doesn't have a clue a precariat class has formed in this country, and they're not only befuddled at the "protests" aimed at them, they haven't a clue on how to handle it. They've normalized decades of increased precarity and a game that's worked for a few that most of them that they really haven't a single idea on how to reverse course, for they're only really focused on making sure the GOP doesn't pivot the ship into icebergs. But what if the ship is already insolvent and filled with water?

I mean, you can even say their inaction and passivity to even nominations the GOP is getting away with as a normalization of this problem, for they're not even preventing them from getting through the front door, in a sense.

This isn't what I meant, and I somewhat disagree with you. At least the first part of your post.

It must be stressed that a lot of the people protesting outside dem offices support these dems and their political leanings. This backlash isn't exactly a response to capitalism and policy, and to frame it as such is to be somewhat dishonest.

This backlash is a response to Democrats playing politics as usual in regards to constantly looking for ways to work with Republicans to the point of abdicating their own stated principles. Right now, the liberal base, for better or worse (I think better), want a fight. And too many Democrats are ignoring that and then wondering why they're getting the responses they're getting.

The Clinton wing of the party were never liberals/progressives. They were just republicans who stopped calling themselves republican.

The supposed calm experienced pragmatists who identify with the left were a big factor in putting you in the situation you're in. Really doesn't matter what they call themselves, but they have no idea what they're doing. Democrats are being embarrassed by the GOP...and remember the GOP wasn't suppose to have this much power right now.

zelas

Seems to have worked out pretty swimmingly.for the Republicans actually.

Key difference is republican voters show up to vote while Democratic party outsiders just stay home and whine. That passive aggressiveness/apathy hasn't resulted in anything since McGovern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom