• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats threaten to kill human trafficking bill over lack of abortion funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like, when you have an adversarial system, one party being obstinate is the other party being obstinate, since both can equally object or yield to the others' objection?

This is essentially what debates like this come down to - "your side is stubborn while mine steadfastly holds true to its principles". Arguing over the semantics of it is a waste of time.

fixedpoint

Create a Computer Forensics Unit and a Child Exploitation Investigations Unit within the Cyber Crimes Center (a division of U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) to investigate trafficking, IP theft, money laundering, arms proliferation, and "illicit activity" on the deep web. These units will, among other things, "participate in research and development in the area of digital forensics," collaborate with the Defense Department to recruit, train, equip, and hire veterans and transitioning service members through the HERO program, and "enhance United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement's ability to combat criminal enterprises operating on or through the Internet, with specific focus" on "cyber economic crime," digital intellectual property theft, "illicit e-commerce (including hidden marketplaces)," "Internet-facilitated proliferation of arms and strategic technology," and "cyber-enabled smuggling and money laundering.

Partisan spin in the OP aside, this bill totally seems to be primarily aimed at helping victims of human trafficking.

Effect

Republicans couldn't simply take the win. Show they're good at governing. Add a feather in their cap for when they say they can work with the other side. They had to go and purposefully reach for the L. The house republicans, I repeat, the house republicans didn't put this crap in the bill. They're the hardcore conservatives. If there was any group you expected to do this nonsense it would be them. So why in the hell would the senate republicans go and sabotage the damn thing!? That's what I don't understand at all.

benjipwns

Banned
Partisan spin in the OP aside, this bill totally seems to be primarily aimed at helping victims of human trafficking.
Look at this fixedpoint jerk over here trying to undermine efforts to stop human trafficking.

MPAA: "Please help us protect the victims of IP trafficking."

Draft

Human trafficking is already illegal. What good is making it more illegal. Cancel the entire bill, melt Congress into a noxious goo and weaponize it in the fight against ISIS.

Volimar

Republicans couldn't simply take the win. Show they're good at governing. Add a feather in their cap for when they say they can work with the other side. They had to go and purposefully reach for the L. The house republicans, I repeat, the house republicans didn't put this crap in the bill. They're the hardcore conservatives. If there was any group you expected to do this nonsense it would be them. So why in the hell would the senate republicans go and sabotage the damn thing!? That's what I don't understand at all.

It's not a win if they don't get something extra. It's been that way since the showdown over the NDAA. Maybe longer.

Human trafficking is already illegal. What good is making it more illegal. Cancel the entire bill, melt Congress into a noxious goo and weaponize it in the fight against ISIS.

The way I read it, it imposes further penalties and creates programs to help address and investigate trafficking.

Alexlf

Finally, a political platform I can stand behind!

JZA

I would love it if they would take the DEA funding and personnel that goes to raiding grow operations and dispensaries and apply it towards this HERO Corps. If the police are becoming more militarized, I'd want them to be pointed at the bigger jerks.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
It also makes the Hyde Amendment permanent law, instead of something that has to attached to each year's appropriations.

Except… why is it in this bill?

This is a bill creating a permanent fund separate and apart from annual appropriations bills. So it makes sense that the provision restricting the use of the funds would be permanent with respect to that fund. And it also makes sense why the restriction appears in this bill.

I mean, is it a serious question? Your thread's premise is that "federal funding of abortions" (your framing, not mine) is "really" so important to Democrats that they'd kill this bill, just as "federal prohibition of funding of abortions" is "really" so important to Republicans that they'd let the bill be killed?

Is there actually a debate to be had beyond "Abortion is bad and I think we should not do it" or "(Access to) abortion is good and I think we should (ensure it)"? I don't understand how the procedural dimension adds anything.

I don't think those are the only questions at issue here. In addition to the moral question of whether abortion is good, or even the legal one of whether it should be legal, there is another question regarding whether federal funds should be expended on the provision of abortions. The answer to that last question is not dictated by the answer to the first two, a difference borne out by public opinion polls.

reason.com

LMFAO

Did you have a particular complaint about their summary?

Yes, we wouldn't want human traffickers to be forced to pay for something that they don't personally feel comfortable with! How dare Democrats try to cram this down their throats.

MarkusRJR

When I read the title and first half of the post I expected the Democrats to have added in an abortion mention of something, but it was the other way around and the Republican party added in something about no abortions (in regards to people who were basically raped)? What is up with the wording in the OP?

Don't really understand why IP theft is in there but I welcome any bill that attempts to tackle the problem of human trafficking.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This thread title would show on Fox news as "Democrats threaten to kill human... over lack of abortion"

Metaphoreus

When I read the title and first half of the post I expected the Democrats to have added in an abortion mention of something, but it was the other way around and the Republican party added in something about no abortions (in regards to people who were basically raped)? What is up with the wording in the OP?

No, no. The controversial provision was present from the time the bill was introduced by Cornyn. The Senate Judiciary Committee amended the bill by rewriting it (I'm not sure precisely what changes they made), but they left the controversial provision intact.

The provision prohibits the funds raised by the bill from being used to pay for abortions, except in the case of rape, incest, or a threat to the mother's life. It does so by incorporating a restriction already in place on other appropriations of federal funds.

Fair and balanced.

I admit I had second thoughts about that closing line. But if you're looking for "fair and balanced," you've come to the wrong website.

You're looking for FoxNews . com.

Seriouser response: This isn't a bill unrelated to the funding restrictions included by Cornyn. This is a bill that creates a federal fund, so it makes perfect sense that the restriction on how the money in that fund may be used would appear in this bill.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oh it's the democrats fault for forcing republicans to put in stuff about abortion.

Right

(Not left)

Volimar

The real baffling (not really) issue here is a group of old men (predominately) are once again attempting to implement policy which relates entirely to the opposite sex. Should women not be given a voice on a issue that blatantly concerns them?

Men and boys aren't victims of human trafficking? Or are you referring to the abortion provision?

Stet

Banned
Republicans threaten to kill human trafficking bill by including a provision limiting abortion funding.

andthebeatgoeson

Note that, in the case of rape, the restrictions on funding do not apply:

You are going to have to excuse me if I don't trust any republicans around abortion issues. Are they going to ask the victims to perform a vaginal ultrasound before deciding if they want to have the babies conceived by rape?

Oh, just read the last line of the OP. Whoohoo, this guy is rocking and rolling.

There aren't any further restrictions on abortion. It's a restriction on the use of federal funds, and it's identical to the general restriction that is already the law. There's nothing new here, except for Democrats holding up progress in the name of federal funding for abortions.

*which affects low income women more than any other group affected under such laws.

Good ole GOP.

Metaphoreus

I'm not going to glorify that shitty lunatic site with a rebuttal. There are enough posts in the thread that did just that.

Dude, I cited them for their summary of the bill, not on (e.g.) the question of whether taxation is theft. Either their summary is correct, or it isn't, but that doesn't turn on their political beliefs. This is a naked ad hominem.

You are going to have to excuse me if I don't trust any republicans around abortion issues. Are they going to ask the victims to perform a vaginal ultrasound before deciding if they want to have the babies conceived by rape?

This isn't a question of trust, but of reading. I quoted the controversial provision and one of the two provisions it cites to accomplish its goal of restricting the use of funds. (The other provision it cites is the actual prohibition; the provision I cited lists exceptions. You can read both in the link I provided.)

Kal_El

"These poor innocent victims of human trafficking. Let's help them... but they're damn sure going to bring to term their rape babies."

My exact thoughts. Once you have the baby you're also on your own. No handouts. Bootstraps and such. Good luck.

Damaniel

Banned
Did you have a particular complaint about their summary?

Their website is a huge libertarian circlejerk. In most cases, it's safe to say if Reason says one thing, the opposite is always true. (Not to say that the left doesn't have their own echo chambers, but 'Reason' continues the right wing's tradition of naming things for the opposite of what they actually are).

I suppose that there are a couple ways to frame the argument over this bill (like OP's, if you squint hard enough), but I tend to side with the side that *isn't* stuffing it full of religious bullshit to score points with their political base. Republicans have no concept of a 'clean' bill, and see every piece of legislation, relevant or not, as another method of promoting their extremist, religiously conservative agenda.

benjipwns

Banned
Dude, I cited them for their summary of the bill, not on (e.g.) the question of whether taxation is theft. Either their summary is correct, or it isn't, but that doesn't turn on their political beliefs. This is a naked ad hominem.
They're statist scum who refuse to accept that taxation is theft. But they republish articles from Sheldon Richman so technically one of their writers recognizes the truth.

Their website is a huge libertarian circlejerk. In most cases, it's safe to say if Reason says one thing, the opposite is always true. (Not to say that the left doesn't have their own echo chambers, but 'Reason' continues the right wing's tradition of naming things for the opposite of what they actually are).
The worst is their peacenazi opposition to wars, be it wars against brown people or wars against drugs or wars against free expression or winning the war against cops in favor of the cops. War. Gwar. War-Z.

Wilsongt

No Metapod...

you-spin-me-round-o.gif

This falls on both on them. However, Republicans are taking it a step farther by stating that they won't confirm Loretta Lynch until the bill is agreed upon. So, once again, Republicans step up to be obstructive.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is a bill creating a permanent fund separate and apart from annual appropriations bills. So it makes sense that the provision restricting the use of the funds would be permanent with respect to that fund. And it also makes sense why the restriction appears in this bill.

If the Hyde Amendment already covers this bill, then why is it necessary? Literally nothing would then be lost by its removal except allowing the bill to already pass.

No Metapod...

you-spin-me-round-o.gif

This falls on both on them. However, Republicans are taking it a step farther by stating that they won't confirm Loretta Lynch until the bill is agreed upon. So, once again, Republicans step up to be obstructive.

And that too.

EDIT: Actually, the only thing that would be lost is that if the Hyde Amendment wasn't attached to a yearly approepiations bill and was not passed, federal funds could be used from this bill for abortion.

"Give us something we want that is totally unrelated to the topic at hand or we will block something that's needed that is equally unrelated to the topic at hand."

Classic GOP move.

Well, given that the bill concerns Human Trafficking, limiting abortion funding to only cases of rape and incest seems like an idiotic notion.

Help the victims, but not really.

Timeaisis

Did anyone read the article? The Hyde Amendment is pre-existing. This proposed bill isn't changing anything dealing with abortion funding, it's merely falling in line with it.

I'm not going to comment on my thoughts of the bill. I think it's a little far reaching, to be honest. But the criticism from the democratic party is kind of grasping, in my eyes.

Well, given that the bill concerns Human Trafficking, limiting abortion funding to only cases of rape and incest seems like an idiotic notion.

Help the victims, but not really.

But good luck proving the rape. By that point, it's likely that the baby will have been born.

Wilsongt

"Give us something we want that is totally unrelated to the topic at hand or we will block something that's needed that is equally unrelated to the topic at hand."

Classic GOP move.

Pretty much.

Also, before Metapod screams source on my comment:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Sunday that the confirmation of Loretta Lynch as attorney general may hinge on whether Congress works out its gridlock over a human trafficking bill.

"It's not a threat. We need to finish this human trafficking bill that came out of the Judiciary Committee unanimously . . . because the next week we'll be doing the budget and the next two weeks after that Congress is not in session," McConnell said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Meanwhile, Lynch's confirmation process has taken the longest compared with those of others who held the post, dating at least to Janet Reno. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) called on McConnell to "keep his word" and not delay the vote on Lynch. There is no procedural excuse for further delay and her nomination can be brought to the floor at any time, according to a statement from Adam Jentleson, Reid's spokesman.

"By continuing to stall Lynch's nomination Republicans are failing yet another basic test of their ability to govern," the statement said. "There is nothing stopping the Senate from confirming Lynch and continuing to debate the trafficking bill this week, except Senator McConnell's unwillingness to bring her nomination up for a vote."

Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, called McConnell’s comments “politics at its worst.”

“Opponents of safe and legal abortion are using a bill that was supposed to help women to hurt women and hold up the important Senate business of confirming a well-qualified nominee to serve as Attorney General,” Richards said in a statement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rmation-until-vote-on-human-trafficking-bill/

Don't read the comments.

ivysaur12

Banned
Did anyone read the article? The Hyde Amendment is pre-existing. This proposed bill isn't changing anything dealing with abortion funding, it's merely falling in line with it.

I'm not going to comment on my thoughts of the bill. I think it's a little far reaching, to be honest. But the criticism from the democratic party is kind of grasping, in my eyes.

Nope, the Hyde Amendment is a yearly rider. This would expand it to 5 years.

Metaphoreus

If the Hyde Amendment already covers this bill, then why is it necessary? Literally nothing would then be lost by its removal except allowing the bill to already pass.

But the Hyde Amendment doesn't cover the bill, from what I can tell, since the appropriations in this bill are not "appropriated in" the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2014 (the statute cited by Cornyn's bill to impose the restriction on abortion funding), to which section 506 of that Act limits itself.

I'll agree with you, however, that if existing law already imposes the restrictions (on the proposed fund) that the controversial provision attempts to impose, then Republicans should simply remove the controversial provision, as they have nothing to gain from its inclusion. But, as I said, I don't think that's the case.

You know I keep thinking of that damned Simpsons seen where the Simpsons go to Washington and the senator tells them to use the mighty paper clip to get what they want.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think those are the only questions at issue here. In addition to the moral question of whether abortion is good, or even the legal one of whether it should be legal, there is another question regarding whether federal funds should be expended on the provision of abortions. The answer to that last question is not dictated by the answer to the first two, a difference borne out by public opinion polls.

I think what you've correctly demonstrated is that framing of poll questions matters--I know this already--but I'm not really sure how that relates to my questions to you here (well unless it's some sort of meta-satire about your very deliberate polemic in the OP and how that's causing different reactions than a different framing would? If so, that's clever, but I don't think you'll find very many people are going to follow you all the way down the rabbit hole).

The thread is presented primarily as an issue of procedural obstinacy, and I think you and I both know that's not the root issue here--the root issue here is the normative dimensions of abortion itself. That's fine. We're allowed to have conversations about that. I just don't know why we need the veneer of of partisan / procedural stuff. It's not really adding anything to the thread. Democrats could drop their opposition and pass the bill with the "poison pill" (from their perspective) included. Republicans could drop the clause and pass the greater bill. Neither group is budging because both seem to agree the debate about this side issue is more important than the greater bill. There are no illusions about this, everyone agrees the debate is about abortion, not about the sex trafficking bill. So why pretend this is a procedural abuse or that this is a gotcha moment?

Gotchaye

Okay, so grant that what we've got here is a bill addressing human trafficking that does a lot of things that everyone wants it to do. Part of that involves spending some money helping victims of human trafficking.

The big roadblock is that there's one thing - abortion - Republicans aren't willing to spend money on while Democrats would like to at least leave that option open (it's not clear to me if the bill would otherwise mandate spending on abortion or would leave that decision up to whoever's executing the law).

Clearly it's fair game to criticize the Republican position here. The best policy may be to spend some money on abortion. Perhaps Republicans are wrong to want this provision. But it's easy to believe that they really do want this provision, and even that they're so concerned with abortion that they really would rather have no bill than have a bill that might fund abortion. Maybe that makes them evil, but there's not much of a procedural objection to be made here (except about whatever was communicated about the bill to Democrats, perhaps). They're not inserting this language about abortion into an unrelated bill. This is how politics is supposed to work.

The Democrats presumably like the rest of the bill. It's hard to believe that they really don't think the bill would be a net good thing even if funds aren't allowed to be used for abortions. Either we do this good stuff (edit) but not including funding abortions or we just don't do anything. This... looks a lot like hostage-taking, as we were all understanding it when the Republicans were holding up tax cuts for everyone except the rich because they also wanted tax cuts for the rich. The position may be the better one, but it looks like they're procedurally in the wrong here - we ought to do the stuff we can agree on and then fight about the stuff we can't agree on, not threaten not to do the stuff we actually agree on unless the other side gives in on something they don't want to do.

There are possible defenses here. Maybe actually more Senators would vote for the bill with abortion funding than without. Maybe this is the sort of thing where you're really only likely to get one shot at crafting a solution, and the bill plus abortion funding is so much better than the bill as-is that it's worth waiting a few years to see if you can build a majority. Maybe if you yell loudly that Republicans won't help victims of human trafficking if it means they have to pay for abortions then people will vote against them and you'll have a majority to do what you want. But I'd want to see this sort of case get made, and in particular I'd want to be convinced that you'd need to start from scratch in the future rather than just repealing this provision.

Paskil

I think the best part is that McConnell is refusing a confirmation vote for AG on Loretta Lynch until the Senate passes (or reveals support for trafficking by voting it down) the bill. No way refusing to vote on a pretty much universally accepted nominee that is a black woman due to petty partisanship will blow up in your face. Nope, nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom