• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Days: An unlikely 21st century pop classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the verge of Gorillaz return after a 7 years since their last major studio album, I've been revisiting their past work and have been, as always, particularly drawn back to Demon Days. I was kind of surprised in the top 3 albums thread just how many people listed this album alongside other greats, although maybe I shouldn't have. I had forgotten just how huge this album was in 2005, nearly everybody was listening to Feel Good Inc., D.A.R.E., and the other singles. They were even put at the forefront of iTunes marketing campaigns at the time.

Demon Days is such an unlikely success candidate. A weird, pseudo-cartoon band with an Uber eclectic album that sounds like a soundtrack to a horror storybook. Beyond the catchy dance tracks it bops around genres like like the jazzy "Every Planet We Reach is Dead", and culminating in a flowing 3 track climax that transitions from a spoken word parable by Dennis Hopper, to two ethereal and hauntingly beautiful gospel infused songs. And this[/] was a wildly successful pop album. What??

The only thing more surprising than the success of such a strange and convention defying endeavor is just how good it is. Danger Mouse's layered production offers a verisimilitude across the seemingly disparate tracks that cohere the whole thing together into one hell of a cinematic nightscape of an album. Each track feels perfectly positioned with some amazing transitions and has a purposeful intro and outro. In an age where pop albums are constructed around singles, an album that had such wildly successful singles making more sense in a constructed whole is an unusual thing.

Damon Albarn would try again and push the envelope of convention defying pop music even further with Plastic Beach, although to unferstandably less enthusiastic popular reception at the time, given he seemed to be actively fighting against putting any track that could be used as an album defying single. He even brought De La Soul from Feel Good Inc. back for a goofy track about mass produced junk food jellyfish.

From what we've heard of Humanz it sounds like Damon Albarn and co. are returning to, and doubling down on, the darker and dancier moments of Demon Days, with the album art consciously recalling it as well, so I'm curious if he can strike gold for a second time.

What do you guys think of the album, 12 years out? Am I overstating its quality, success, or influence?

It was essentially the defining album of my college life so it will always hold a special place in my heart, but beyond that I do consider it to be a technical marvel and a modern masterpiece.

Jakoo

On the verge of Gorillaz return after a 7 years since their last major studio album, I've been revisiting their past work and have been, as always, particularly drawn back to Demon Days. I was kind of surprised in the top 3 albums thread just how many people listed this album alongside other greats, although maybe I shouldn't have. I had forgotten just how huge this album was in 2005, nearly everybody was listening to Feel Good Inc., D.A.R.E., and the other singles. They were even put at the forefront of iTunes marketing campaigns at the time.

Demon Days is such an unlikely success candidate. A weird, pseudo-cartoon band with an Uber eclectic album that sounds like a soundtrack to a horror storybook. Beyond the catchy dance tracks it bops around genres like like the jazzy "Every Planet We Reach is Dead", and culminating in a flowing 3 track climax that transitions from a spoken word parable by Dennis Hopper, to two ethereal and hauntingly beautiful gospel infused songs. And this[/] was a wildly successful pop album. What??

The only thing more surprising than the success of such a strange and convention defying endeavor is just how good it is. Danger Mouse's layered production offers a verisimilitude across the seemingly disparate tracks that cohere the whole thing together into one hell of a cinematic nightscape of an album. Each track feels perfectly positioned with some amazing transitions and has a purposeful intro and outro. In an age where pop albums are constructed around singles, an album that had such wildly successful singles making more sense in a constructed whole is an unusual thing.

Damon Albarn would try again and push the envelope of convention defying pop music even further with Plastic Beach, although to unferstandably less enthusiastic popular reception at the time, given he seemed to be actively fighting against putting any track that could be used as an album defying single. He even brought De La Soul from Feel Good Inc. back for a goofy track about mass produced junk food jellyfish.

From what we've heard of Humanz it sounds like Damon Albarn and co. are returning to, and doubling down on, the darker and dancier moments of Demon Days, with the album art consciously recalling it as well, so I'm curious if he can strike gold for a second time.

What do you guys think of the album, 12 years out? Am I overstating its quality, success, or influence?

Demon Days has always been my favorite Gorillaz album and personally, one of my favorite albums of all time. It's an album with a great range and also without too much bloat (White Light is the only song I can happily pass on).

I love the live performance of this album too.

It is easily one of my favorite albums if all time. One of the few where I don't skip a single track. I am super disappointed I didn't snag one of the vinyl reprints, and I don't even own a record player.

Its definitely a go-to album of mine if I don't know what to listen to. Its just cover-to-cover one of the best albums of the 2000s and dared to be different, weird and eclectic and showed that people actually want this kind of music.

As much as I'm admittedly a little bit sick of 'Feel Good Inc', there are some standout classics for me and I've always had a soft spot for 'November Has Come' as MF DOOM kills on that track and Albarn's hook is so catchy.

If Humanz even has a handful of tracks with the quality of Demon Days then I'll be more than happy.

It was essentially the defining album of my college life so it will always hold a special place in my heart, but beyond that I do consider it to be a technical marvel and a modern masterpiece.
I have the same feelings about it, in fact it got me back into listening to music again.

I remember the first time I heard it I was in the my college's cafeteria and Feel Good Inc's music video started playing it. Right after I got done listening to it I knew I had to get that album. I got a friend to take me out to the mall and got the album and just feel in love with it and the band themselves and went on to immerse myself in everything Gorillaz.

Every time my friend's came to my dorm I had that album blasting. DARE is an all time favorite and has a beats and lyrics that are infectious to me and I had that on repeat for fucking days. I cannot think of a song on there I legit dislike.

While I cannot make a judgment call on its influence I can say it is it is their best work, that said I think Gorillaz is an extremely close second.

Joeku

The Iraq war commentary hasn't exactly aged all that well, but other than that I don't love this album any less than I did when I first heard it. I'll gladly sit through the whole thing front to back. Best one of the aughts.

Also based on what I've heard of Humanz, it seems like it's hearkening back to DD some. Super stoked.

Blader

I like their self titled a lot, since I'm about that creepy dub vibe, but it always felt more like a proof of concept for what became fully realized with Demon Days.

More or less how I feel too. Gorillaz is the Homework to Demon Days' Discovery (although Gorillaz is WAY better than Homework, I think).

The Iraq war commentary hasn't exactly aged all that well, but other than that I don't love this album any less than I did when I first heard it. I'll gladly sit through the whole thing front to back. Best one of the aughts..

I think the Iraq War commentary still fits fine. It's only for the Dirty Harry track, and the song is mostly about war in general (apart from a line or two that date it in general). But it fits the theme of the album being a night-time tour of the various ways humans are tearing ourselves and our world apart.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Gorillaz was one of those weird things from my high school life that I didn't get into becuase of other people. I remember the people who were really into it seemed more excited about anime than good music so I foolishly didn't take it very seriously.

I don't think there's anything unlikely about it being successful. Whilst Gorillaz aesthetic could be described as non-mainstream (shortly before Demon Days, it was heavily influenced by Japanese graffiti/vinyl toy/medi-com and similar sub-cultures), Damon Albarn's pop sensibilities are very apparent through the record, most noticeably on the singles.

It's good music with very good grooves. Maybe it's 'cause I'm from the UK but they've pretty much been in the mainstream since their first hit single - I mean, they headlined Glastonbury: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEQc_FnAZk

I remember when IGN got the music video for Feel Good Inc. I downloaded a quicktime file of it and played the shit out of that music video. It was the perfect single to get people hyped for the album.

Feel Good Inc, Dirty Harry, DARE...

Demon Days hands down my favourite Gorillaz album. I do like Clint Eastwood though from their debut album (who doesn't?)

I agree that their self-titled debut album was a concept, albeit a very impressive complex concept album. Demon Days is the magnum opus.

This is insanity.
I know I know, opinions and all.

But Gorillaz doesn't touch Homework

It's not a consistent album. Every song is very different than the last and that isn't a bad thing as it helped establish the Gorillaz as a band that can do everything, but Demon Days has a theme and every song is connected to that theme no matter how different they are. It's a rare album where you feel the need to listen to it from the beginning to the end without skipping a song. Shits magical.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That album was inescapably everywhere at the time. The live show DVDwith all the artists and even Dennis Hopper is so incredibly dope. The lady with the big harp. 😍

Turok_TTZ

Prefer Gorillaz album. Not a single track was average. Tomorrow​ comes today and Latin Simone are underrated in particular.

Prefer Gorillaz album. Not a single track was average. Tomorrow​ comes today and Latin Simone are underrated in particular.

Tomorrow Comes Today I don't think is underrated, isn't that the most popular on the album after Clint Eastwood and 19-2000? Great track though.

My pic for most underrated on the self titled is Sound Check (Gravity). Such a dope song.

NotLiquid

Demon Days is a special kind of album that is so potent in large part because of the type of band Gorillaz sells itself on.

With Humanz coming out and there being much ado about whether or not it sounds like "Gorillaz" and all that, I've never really considered that to be a notion worth entertaining because between the original self titled album and Plastic Beach, it's clear the band has always been more of a collaborative effort of ideas and concepts. But I think Demon Days is particularly galvanized by the band's concept having to be depicted as a cartoon band.

I think of it a little bit as I do BoJack Horseman - there was an article that analyzed one of the main reasons why that show is so profound and it's how the outlandish cartoon style and characters themselves kind of helped add a necessary layer of disconnect from material that was incredibly dark, depressing and almost human/social commentary when you truly analyze it, and it's that dichotomy which makes it such an effective piece of media. I think a similar logic can be leveled at Demon Days in particular because one of the main appeals behind Gorillaz was always the visual "front" of the band. It'd be easy to dismiss the idea as a gimmick in the first album, but in Demon Days it's clear that wasn't the case at all. It sold the visual and narrative elements as slightly more important, and as a result the album explicitly feels like the voices of dozens of people, singing and performing about the vices and woes of human nature, melancholic philanthropy, rolled into a simple and quaint cartoon band. In that moment's notice of a hectic world we had an album with profound messages and catchy hooks, and in some part we believed in the idea that this band of fictional misfits, all ideologically opposed, had more to say about the world than any one of us.

It might seem too much of an idealistic stretch but I really do feel that Demon Days is so memorable in large part because of the kind of band Gorillaz is. It upheld the suspension of disbelief and evoked a very contemplative narrative in comparison to what came before and what came after. Sound-wise it might not be my favorite Gorillaz album but I think of it similarly as to how I think of Kanye and Dark Twisted Fantasy - it came out at the exact right time and was exactly everything it needed to be and more because of it's circumstances.

I was 9 years old when it released. I remember watching the Feel Good Inc. music video play on repeat on MTV and thinking "Wow this looks and sounds like nothing I've heard." My grandpa bought the CD for me and I cherished it, must've listened to it hundreds of times. It is a defining album for me and kinda what got me into music outside of what I knew. I listened to classic rock (because that's what my dad listened to) like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles, etc. After Demon Days I found bands like Radiohead and hip-hop groups. It really shifted the way I thought about music. It's super important to me.

Now, I still think it's a great album and unlike anything released during its time. Gorillaz are an important band to me.

D.A.R.E is a good song. I find I listen to this album in a singles format and cant recall listening to it as a full album.

Empire Ants came on in my rotation and I went back to listen to that album and I still really like it. will have to do the same with this album.

Goldboy

One of the best albums I've ever heard. I love the instrumental outros on songs like Kids With Guns and Every Planet We Reach is Dead.

Clefargle

That album is a who's who of amazing artists. I love every fucking track so much and the album works really well listened to from front to back

No one talks about how amazing All Alone is.

Known to what these sayers say
Known to what these doers do
It's you and who and you-know-where
We's about to take it there
We's about to make it clear, we happy or we lonesome
The long jump, the beat heart, from start to finish
Ten spoons of spinach, the soul and the spillage
The cup that runneth over, return of the ogre

No one talks about how amazing All Alone is.

Known to what these sayers say
Known to what these doers do
It's you and who and you-know-where
We's about to take it there
We's about to make it clear, we happy or we lonesome
The long jump, the beat heart, from start to finish
Ten spoons of spinach, the soul and the spillage
The cup that runneth over, return of the ogre

It's one of my favorite songs on the album. The second half when Martina Toply Bird starts singing is beautiful, and a stark contrast to the banging beat and Roots Manuva's rap.

iavi

Demon Days was massive, and so deservedly so.

Easily in my personal top 3.

Everything I've heard of Humanz evokes the same feeling as well, I agree, OP. Put a delux pre-order in the minute I heard the leak of submission.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Bought it the first day in Thailand when spending a 3 month holiday with 2 friends and travel the country.
Played it a thousand times at least.
This album is fucking great.

aBarreras

theyve turning us into monsters, turning us into fire, turning its into monsters its all desire

great, now i have to listen to the whole album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom