• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demonization of Smoking vs Alcohol

Dural

What is with the crazy demonization of smoking vs drinking alcohol? Drinking is celebrated pretty much everywhere while people that smoke are made to look like outcasts. If you look at the taxes governments place on alcohol vs cigarettes, cigarette ads being banned from television, government anti-smoking ads, etc… Hell, some cities have even banned smokeless tobacco in public places.

VqxZaTg.png

SNS55X5.png

Local taxes aren't included, so in certain cities you can double the taxes or more on tobacco. Looking at Chicago, taxes on alcohol amount to ~25% while cigarettes are over 100%.

I don’t quite get it, smoking really only affects the person doing it. With alcohol, not only is the person drinking affected; the family of the person drinking, the coworkers, and the public with the possibility of a drunk driving accident. They both can lead to negative health consequences, though I do think a chain smoker will live longer than a hardcore alcoholic.

This is coming from someone that has never smoked and only drinks socially.

NickFire

Well, second hand smoke is bad too. My guess though, is the same people who want to ban smoking feel the same way about drinking, but know that did not work out so well last time and figure they'll pick their battles where success is most likely.

Drinking is celebrated pretty much everywhere while people that smoke are made to look like outcasts.

That's right. I'm no smoker and have had asthma, but I never had a problem with smokers, and I think the anti-smoking gestapo got out of control. It also had serious consequences for cafes and nightlife in general; it's not just the same anymore going out.

lil puff

I can't disagree. In NYC we are up to $16/pack. A beer is cheaper than water of the same fl. oz.

Shit even at work, when they have functions, it's totally normal for people to drink at noon, and ask me several times "Are you sure you don't want a drink?"]

But the dirty look of shame if a co-worker catches me on a smoke break (4 block down hiding behind a wall) is ridiculous. Fuck off and mind your business you f'in morning drunk.

The only issue with smoke (outdoors) is that we need to do better than thrown the butts all over the ground.

Last edited:
You nailed it. It's absolutely disgusting here in Wisconsin. The average 22 -55 year old can't do a regular activity without drinking. We serve alcohol at functions that are raising money for cancer research, we serve alcohol at virtually all sporting events, fairs, festivals, etc. Alcohol is a carcinogen. It literally causes cancer.

Paltheos

Well, second hand smoke is bad too. My guess though, is the same people who want to ban smoking feel the same way about drinking, but know that did not work out so well last time and figure they'll pick their battles where success is most likely.

Maybe. Both can come with some nasty consequences, but cigarettes are designed to be addictive. It's easier to make a case against. The average joe probably doesn't have to worry about alcoholism.

Dural

Maybe. Both can come with some nasty consequences, but cigarettes are designed to be addictive. It's easier to make a case against. The average joe probably doesn't have to worry about alcoholism.

Alcoholism is something that I see lots of people shrug off as if it can't happen to them, it sneaks up on people. Starts out with going out on the weekend and turns into the only thing you look forward to is going out on the weekend. It consumes peoples lives. At least for me, I have way more people in my life that have been negatively affected by alcohol than cigarettes.

lil puff

Well there is second hand smoke, but I tend to believe that isn't seriously impacting anyone.

Second hand smoke is old news. Third hand smoke is what you should be freaking out about now.
I dunno.

I remember staying with my grandparents who chain smoked, and you can just see all the filthy tar it leaves all over the walls and furniture. I figure it's probably not very healthy and does absorb into others.

If anything growing up around smokers is what made me a smoker. That's an anecdote. I'm not suggesting everyone is like that.

Nymphae

Banned
I remember staying with my grandparents who chain smoked, and you can just see all the filthy tar it leaves all over the walls and furniture. I figure it's probably not very healthy and does absorb into others.

It just makes me roll my eyes is all, I can only be outraged about so many things lol. Third hand fucking smoke? Yeah, smoke gets into things and makes them smell like shit, that's about the extent of it. No one is having their health impacted by third hand smoke.

If anything growing up around smokers is what made me a smoker. That's an anecdote. I'm not suggesting everyone is like that.

YYMV. I hated it for 14 years because my parents smoked, then I fell into it with weed. But my best friend at the time never got into smoking, and he came from a chain smoking household. He likes weed, but not cigarettes.

Alcoholism is something that I see lots of people shrug off as if it can't happen to them, it sneaks up on people.

Absolutely. Just as you described. But people are drinking products with higher alcohol content and it's causing a lot of problems.

lil puff

It just makes me roll my eyes is all, I can only be outraged about so many things lol. Third hand fucking smoke? Yeah, smoke gets into things and makes them smell like shit, that's about the extent of it. No one is having their health impacted by third hand smoke.

YYMV. I hated it for 14 years because my parents smoked, then I fell into it with weed. But my best friend at the time never got into smoking, and he came from a chain smoking household. He likes weed, but not cigarettes.
Lets just say I would never be one of those people with their kids in the car and smoking away, windows closed and all. It's not a great example, and I'm not sold that second-hand is a myth. Third-hand smoke, I hadn't even heard of that. I did a look, and shit... they have 4th hand smoke too.

To be clear, I don't believe touching things is a danger. I meant that seeing the dark walls and sticky furniture makes me believe that if I'm in the room for hours and 2 people are smoking everyday, I don't think that is healthy.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Lets just say I would never be one of those people with their kids in the car and smoking away, windows closed and all. It's not a great example, and I'm not sold that second-hand is a myth. Third-hand smoke, I hadn't even heard of that. I did a look, and shit... they have 4th hand smoke too.

I don't think that is real lol

fourth hand smoke, a term coined by John Boston of the Santa Clara Valley Signal: someone sitting next to someone who is thinking about someone else smoking.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Smoking pollutes the air around the smoker and causes immediate problems for people who are sensitive to it. An argument can be made that alcohol does something similar as far as the behavior of the people consuming it, but it's quite a different thing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The thing with alcohol is that America doesn't take it seriously. There's no respect for it which leads to rampant abuse.

I think in time, alcohol use will be looked at the same way we look at cigarette use. Its just lagging behind because the culture isn't quite there yet.

Both can come with some nasty consequences, but cigarettes are designed to be addictive. It's easier to make a case against.

Social events revolve around alcohol, people question why you don't want alcohol if you don't drink, and people recommend drinking to forget problems. That indicates it is an addiction - it has all the standard tells.

Paltheos

Alcoholism is something that I see lots of people shrug off as if it can't happen to them, it sneaks up on people. Starts out with going out on the weekend and turns into the only thing you look forward to is going out on the weekend. It consumes peoples lives. At least for me, I have way more people in my life that have been negatively affected by alcohol than cigarettes.

I could be underestimating the impact. No one in my small circle is an alcoholic, and I have a self-imposed rule to never drink outside of a social event and there only enough to get buzzed because I'm afraid of the danger given I believe my disposition leaves me at risk of becoming one.

Tesseract

Banned
generally if i'm feeling like i need a drink, i'll go on a garbage food bender (papa johns is what i do)

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
generally if i'm feeling like i need a drink, i'll go on a garbage food bender (papa johns is what i do)
Papa johns is bloody awesome.

I have worked for papa johns, dominos and Pizza Hut. Papa johns and dominos are comparable in how they make pizza while Pizza Hut is weird.

Dural

One of the things that really pisses me off with the tobacco taxes is that it really isn't going to stop an addict from smoking. Their kids are the ones that suffer as they will have to go without so the parents can buy the cigarettes. I've seen it first hand, politicians need to understand who they're hurting.

I can't disagree. In NYC we are up to $16/pack. A beer is cheaper than water of the same fl. oz.

Shit even at work, when they have functions, it's totally normal for people to drink at noon, and ask me several times "Are you sure you don't want a drink?"]

But the dirty look of shame if a co-worker catches me on a smoke break (4 block down hiding behind a wall) is ridiculous. Fuck off and mind your business you f'in morning drunk.

The only issue with smoke (outdoors) is that we need to do better than thrown the butts all over the ground.

God I used to work with a place where the owner was almost a full blown alcoholic. Used to get shit faced during lunch and come in later in the afternoon with his face flush red and always moody as fuck.

Unless they're quitting cold turkey at least smokers typically keep their cool better than most and just step outside for a quick cigarette to cool off if things get stressful.

The thing with alcohol is that America doesn't take it seriously. There's no respect for it which leads to rampant abuse.

I think in time, alcohol use will be looked at the same way we look at cigarette use. Its just lagging behind because the culture isn't quite there yet.
Nah alcohol has been consumed since the dawn of civilization. Humans can’t get enough of it.

Weilthain

Banned
I have read on this forum so many times people’s stories of their first time drinking, or planning their first time going out drinking.

“So I’m going to drive to a bar and try some alcohol for the first time any advice?”

“Oh sure try some whiskey and a couple of different craft beers, you know, see which kind of stuff is like.”

“Remember to drink plenty of water though”

“Ok guys thanks wish me luck!”

I do have a habit of reading things the wrong way but it always sounds like people are suggesting to drive to a bar try alcohol for the first time ever, then drive home after?

That’s terrible advice! Get a 4 pack of beer and drink it at home in the garden or whatever.

Makariel

I don’t quite get it, smoking really only affects the person doing it.
Nonsense. There is plenty of evidence that second hand smoke causes cancer. Just the first few hits of a quick google and google scholar search:

Öberg et. al. said:
Findings
Worldwide, 40% of children, 33% of male non-smokers, and 35% of female non-smokers were exposed to second-hand smoke in 2004. This exposure was estimated to have caused 379 000 deaths from ischaemic heart disease, 165 000 from lower respiratory infections, 36 900 from asthma, and 21 400 from lung cancer. 603 000 deaths were attributable to second-hand smoke in 2004, which was about 1·0% of worldwide mortality. 47% of deaths from second-hand smoke occurred in women, 28% in children, and 26% in men. DALYs lost because of exposure to second-hand smoke amounted to 10·9 million, which was about 0·7% of total worldwide burden of diseases in DALYs in 2004. 61% of DALYs were in children. The largest disease burdens were from lower respiratory infections in children younger than 5 years (5 939 000), ischaemic heart disease in adults (2 836 000), and asthma in adults (1 246 000) and children (651 000).
Interpretation
These estimates of worldwide burden of disease attributable to second-hand smoke suggest that substantial health gains could be made by extending effective public health and clinical interventions to reduce passive smoking worldwide.

Top Bottom