• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Yeah, the framerate is much smoother now it seems, which is good I guess. Have a hard time deciding if this game playes well (or 'decent enough') or not. :p

The third link shows the boss fight with the big bubblebutt at least.

WYWY said:
Official site was just updated today. Link in the first post.

Added all remaining character classes, weapons, NPCs and more demon bosses. A few more area screenshots.

Network play - well it didn't really clarify any more about the previous issues raised, just added two more network mode explanations:

"Soul Direction"
The actions of all logged-on players affect the gameworld. Absolutely no explanation about how this system works. Depending on the actions of all the players, the monster population, items type and distribution, strength of phantoms, etc. will change in different areas. An inaccessible area may suddenly become accessible, with a ladder appearing, etc. (See screenshots on site).

Network Invasion - PVP!
To start, no there is no info as to whether this can be 'switched off' if you login. Also no info how another player is selected, etc.... All it says is that if a player has a specific "black stone" special item and perishes, he can invade the gameworld of another player as a "black phantom". Win and he gets resurrected. Lose and he loses "soul level". The "black phantom" form will be of a higher level than the deceased player is currently at.

Awesome, thank you for translating the update. I saw that and hoped someone would! I'm going to link your post in the OP. Still no idea how it works but it's a start! :)

Guymelef said:

Great find, adding to the OP - Thanks a bunch for the hook up!

cruets said:
found these pics of what i believe is the Asian version menu. oh man kingsfield was my first rpg on ps1 back in the day. if this is truly a kings field successor...day 1

Another great find. Every new screenshot makes the game look more and more like a 'spiritual successor' to KF. The menu shot looks great and shows that it's at least in English (Asian version)

Thanks for the some of the good info. I'm linking/posting most of it in the official post and trying to thank everyone who has provided it -- if I forgot to credit your find, do let me know!

Glad to see there's some interest stirring with this one!

biocat

WYWY said:
MORE DETAILS! (DPS reviews can be a bit more 'wordy' compared to other JP mags.)

I usually never buy Dengeki - only read it in the store.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow if I get a chance as I only glanced at it today.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ChoklitReign said:
Why did Famitsu not like it as much? Too macho American for their tastes? This could be the first Atlus title that intrigues me.
1) Atlus?
2) I played it at TGS and it was pretty meh.

I guess I should try to view the game more as its own entity, it's not called King's Field V after all. But my first impression of the video was that the game's speed and camera were a bit off-putting, the atmospheric feel that the devs seem to be striving for could be achieved better by slowing things down and using a 1st-person perspective. OTOH control seems good and it seems to be far from a mess technically. So I'm still interested.

lupinko

Kagari said:
Great thread :D

No it doesn't. And yes you can get Japanese game trophies on your US account. I have them for both Mainichi Issho and White Knight Chronicles.

They locked Mainichi Issho trophies for non-Japanese accounts with patch before the most recent patch.

This only applies to Mainichi Issho though since those are all done server-side by BeXide.

YouTube videos are awesome!! Just got in and watching them now. Looks like they really improved the framerate. No excuses now people! IMPORT!!

Tom Penny

Anybody know if this game is in english or has the option and what is the deal with if you die you have to start over? What does that mean.

Tom Penny said:
Anybody know if this game is in english or has the option and what is the deal with if you die you have to start over? What does that mean.

Images of the menu in OP show English text is present. The speculation is English subtitles, but hasn't been officially confirmed. Most likely there will be English subtitles (in the ASIAN version). The deal with "dying and starting over" is not confirmed either but speculated in this post after reading through the Dengeki preview:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14562587&postcount=609

Great videos!!! Day one for me!

Consoles are REALLY lacking games like this where you slowly progress through the enviroment with elements of exploration and RPG AND in THIRD PERSON!

Simply awsome!

So any idea where these Youtube videos came from?! Hype +1

The atmosphere is fucking top notch, no doubt it feels like King's Field, but in a good way. If it's one genre FROMSoft shines in it's this one, IMO.

RavenFox said:
Im so damn well tempted. I think I will.

edit: Okay watched some of the vids and saw the English menu stuff. Its on and wallet may cry.

:lol It seems like it's getting some decent advertising/marketing over in Japan...SCEJ on top of things as usual...

Defuser

Dammit,I just blew my cash on RB2. I'll wait for some good impression before I can decide whether to pick it up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lupinko said:
They locked Mainichi Issho trophies for non-Japanese accounts with patch before the most recent patch.

This only applies to Mainichi Issho though since those are all done server-side by BeXide.

Ah XD Didn't realize they did that.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
BudokaiMR2 said:
I played it at TGS and thought it showed promise although it was rough around the edges.

Now that have read about the online side of things... O.O

I might just sell shitty WKS and pick this up.

i havent gotten wkc yet but i'm certainly interested in it. are you saying i should just forget it?

also, demons souls is day one. any word if the japanese and asian versions can go online together?

PROOP said:
i havent gotten wkc yet but i'm certainly interested in it. are you saying i should just forget it?

also, demons souls is day one. any word if the Japanese and Asian versions can go online together?

To my knowledge, nothing's been mentioned yet. Anyone else have a clue?

biocat

ChoklitReign said:
Why did Famitsu not like it as much? Too macho American for their tastes? This could be the first Atlus title that intrigues me.

All the Famitsu reviewers who rated it low said the game was too hard. Pretty typical for Famitsu.

biocat said:
All the Famitsu reviewers who rated it low said the game was too hard. Pretty typical for Famitsu.

PSH! Famitsu. We'll see. With all the EASY RPG/Adventure games these days I'm welcoming the cranked difficulty.

Play-Asia just sent me an update that their release date has changed from February 5th to just February. Hopefully it's just something on their side and the game will still ship this week.

MoxManiac

Holy shit, this game looks amazing. I always lamented the end of the KF series.

I don't suppose there's any chance of this coming stateside? Or will I be forced to import the asian version? How will the online work with an asian game on a US account?

Valkyr Junkie said:
Play-Asia just sent me an update that their release date has changed from February 5th to just February. Hopefully it's just something on their side and the game will still ship this week.

Got this email too. Had just updated to UPS shipping and noticed this...Hopefully not some weird, last minute delay... SCEJ official site still lists 2/5 as the release date.

*However, my order status on Play-asia changed from Preorder/Backorder to Paid via Paypal (which sometimes means preparing to process/ship)

MoxManiac said:
Holy shit, this game looks amazing. I always lamented the end of the KF series.

I don't suppose there's any chance of this coming stateside? Or will I be forced to import the asian version? How will the online work with an asian game on a US account?

I bet you'll love this then..Many similarities between the two. Part of me thinks the reason for the English option in the Asian version is because it won't be coming stateside. No confirmation of a release in PAL or NA currently. Word is that online servers will NOT be region locked. Only way we'll know is once we have the game.

MightyKAC

Hmmm I may have to grab the Asian version of this if its in English. And recommendations for a good import site?

MightyKAC said:
Hmmm I may have to grab the Asian version of this if its in English. And recommendations for a good import site?

Asian version reportedly has English text. NCSX and Play-Asia are my favorite sites to import from. Ebay can be good as well depending on the seller.

MightyKAC said:

As mentioned, Play-asia and NCSx. The listing on NCSx however only lists the "Japanese import" so I'm not sure that indicates the Japanese version which doesn't have English option. However if you contact them and they do have the version available, they ship from NYC which is presumably faster. I preordered from Play-asia.com which definitely sells the Asian version.

eXistor said:
I'm still waiting on whether it's truly in English or not. If it is, I'll order it right away.

Menu text is in English for sure, see the image in original post. Supposedly, at the Asia Game Show the build FROMSoft demo'd on was entirely in English which probably means subtitles at the very least.

MightyKAC

Thanks guys. Was able to sign up, preorder and prepay for the game from play-asia in the space of 5 mins.

Appreciate the help.

MightyKAC said:
Thanks guys. Was able to sign up, preorder and prepay for the game from play-asia in the space of 5 mins.

Appreciate the help.

No problem, hope you enjoy the game (I'm confident you will) :)

semiconscious said:
playasia just emailed a ship date change: from 2/5 to 2, period?...

Yes...I've already sent a short email to Play-asia asking them what it all means, hopefully I'll get a response back. Could be nothing, who knows. Official site still says 2/5/2009 as the release date, and no news of anything.

--Would Play-asia change the date if they were to ship prior to release date? Do they ever ship ahead of the release date? I've never preordered from them...

gogogow

Are there any villagers/NPC's in this game that you can talk to?
Or is it more of a dungeon crawler type of game?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
--Would Play-asia change the date if they were to ship prior to release date? Do they ever ship ahead of the release date? I've never preordered from them...

never happened to me (i've ordered a few things), but they do mention that as a possibility...

CAVE343

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Menu text is in English for sure, see the image in original post. Supposedly, at the Asia Game Show the build FROMSoft demo'd on was entirely in English which probably means subtitles at the very least.

Your making it hard not to buy the game :)
I'm still waiting for the conformation that the game text is in english

Thanks for the new screens:

Update on Play-asia situation:

My order just changed from Preorder/Backorder, to Paid via Paypal, to Preparing Order. Looks like it will be shipping quite soon. I can't and won't say 100% that the game is in English but I've read there is an English build, and don't see why it wouldn't have, at the very least, English subtitles.

matmanx1

May import this after release depending on the impressions and reviews. For me to spend the cash on an import it needs to be lengthy and fairly well executed. If it really feels like King's Field in HD then I would absolutely love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom