• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuusui

nvm. how about a proper link?

demonssouls_greatesthits_packshot.jpg

Demons Souls is easily the best game of this generation, and probably the best thing that's happened to gaming since the first Metroid Prime (although extremely honorable mentions go the the 2 Mario Galaxy games as well).

A true modern classic, this is definitely a game we'll be remembering and talking about in 10-20 years from now. :D

I'm hoping for some DS-related announcement at TGS; not necessarily a sequel (might be too soon for that), but at least some DLC related to the fifth arch-stone would be awesome :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
zerokoolpsx said:
Well, I'll be checking this thread pretty soon. I just hope I don't die over and over and over and over and well, you get the idea.
:lol You will.

Guevara

Baller said:
The Lighting Deal was... for $29.99? The same price the game normally sells for on Amazon... did I miss something?

You missed everything. It was $19 for about 20 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem for you, Baller, PhD! :lol

Canova

Banned
astroturfing said:
mmmm yes... maybe we should go hunting?

a few more days, till they all got their copies :D

just joking don't mean to scare off the new players, they will have enough to worry about

Right, i've been after a new game for a while, and i've come to the conclusion that it is going to be an RPG, i was going to give two worlds II a chance but it seems like it isn't out now until the end of october. So, i dunno if this game is for me, i'd be grateful if anyone could answer a few questions for me.

Combat, what's it like, what game is it comparable too ? Is it a hack and slash combo fest, like god of war, i was going to get darksiders, but the combat in the demo felt to repetitive. I prefer using different types or weapons or ways to kill enemies rather than combos.

Game world, is it open or split into areas ?

Enemies, are they varied and do they have multiple ways to take them down, not just figuring out a combo ?

I've never been a massive rpg player because i dislike turn based combat (i know this isn't) and too much magic spells and stuff, i thought oblivion and fable where good, i don't like the idea of summoning beings etc, basically i like to get stuck in myself. Is this game really comparable to any other game or parts of other games. thanks guys.

oracrest

Jamesearlcash said:
Right, i've been after a new game for a while, and i've come to the conclusion that it is going to be an RPG, i was going to give two worlds II a chance but it seems like it isn't out now until the end of october. So, i dunno if this game is for me, i'd be grateful if anyone could answer a few questions for me.

Combat, what's it like, what game is it comparable too ? Is it a hack and slash combo fest, like god of war, i was going to get darksiders, but the combat in the demo felt to repetitive. I prefer using different types or weapons or ways to kill enemies rather than combos.

Game world, is it open or split into areas ?

Enemies, are they varied and do they have multiple ways to take them down, not just figuring out a combo ?

I've never been a massive rpg player because i dislike turn based combat (i know this isn't) and too much magic spells and stuff, i thought oblivion and fable where good, i don't like the idea of summoning beings etc, basically i like to get stuck in myself. Is this game really comparable to any other game or parts of other games. thanks guys.

You directly control the character. The combat is slow and realistic. Not fast and "ninja-esque" like a God of War or Devil May Cry. It's more of the thinking man's combat. You can easily die in just a few hits from most enemies in the game, so you tend to approach every encounter very calculated. Getting better at the combat system allows you to burn through enemies much faster, but you really have to develop some mastery of the system to do that.

Moves work in conjunction with stamina. Blocks, running, and attacks all take away certain amounts of stamina, so you have to fall back and let yourself rest often.

the world branches off into five seperate areas, and you have to linearly navigate through to later levels of a given area. You can, however, go into any area whenever you want, and try to go through them in any order.

Just bought the deluxe Edition off of Ebay. I love the alternate cover on it. :D

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Just bought the deluxe Edition off of Ebay. I love the alternate cover on it. :D

actually I may just do that. I already have the regulard NA version and EU BP edition, which is gorgeous with the red color

<--- like my avatar

oracrest

canova said:
actually I may just do that. I already have the regulard NA version and EU BP edition, which is gorgeous with the red color

<--- like my avatar

Yeah, I just love this character design. I never wanted to play Demon's Souls as anyone other that the Temple Knight :)

demons_souls_deluxe_edition_box_art.jpg

The PS3 isn't region sensitive, so all version will work on a NA system, right? Are there any differences in content between any of them?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ Yes all versions will work. The NA one had the patches from the Japanese version I think, but it's all the same.

I love that character design as well, my current dude is a knight so I started with that gear, but I still ditched it. I'm a light armor guy, I'm just using the ninja outfit mixed with the priest clothing. I'll take mobility over a little extra defense any day. I'm very anal about minimizing weight, though, right now I'm only holding 22 lbs worth of gear.

oracrest

I tried once with the simple chainmail coif that you get, but there was something so cool to me about the fully helmeted character. I stuck with this slow as nuts kind of armor the whole time. I really would like to get some of the guy in 3-2's armor. Do you only see him that one time in the whole game? Do you get his stuff if you kill him?

This is what I look like now. I don't use the huge axe, but I busted it out for the screenshot. I am still stuck with the long sword I have. I am holding out to get to level 2-2 to be able to level up some weapons.

6c25f873.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Do you only see him that one time in the whole game? Do you get his stuff if you kill him?

Yes and Yes. It's in your best interest to kill him though and you'll get his sweet set of armor that is very useful in other parts of the game.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
I tried once with the simple chainmail coif that you get, but there was something so cool to me about the fully helmeted character. I stuck with this slow as nuts kind of armor the whole time. I really would like to get some of the guy in 3-2's armor. Do you only see him that one time in the whole game? Do you get his stuff if you kill him?

This is what I look like now. I don't use the huge axe, but I busted it out for the screenshot. I am still stuck with the long sword I have. I am holding out to get to level 2-2 to be able to level up some weapons.

6c25f873.jpg

i love the armor from the 3-2 guy, the gloom armor + thief mask = badass

this is my guy

c507f3c3.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My fave outfit is still the Miralda the Executioner set. My last character was a female thief and I was wearing that shit through out the whole game. It's got decent attributes, it's light and most importantly, it looks friggin badass.

I want to start up a new character quite badly. Anyonw with Asian version got the same itch? It is so great to see that after all this time new folks still turn up in this thread.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I want to start up a new character quite badly. Anyonw with Asian version got the same itch? It is so great to see that after all this time new folks still turn up in this thread.

This has to be the longest running active OP in ever.

I'm on NA servers but yes, you should start another character. I want you to make a naked character that doesn't use weapons or spells, just fists.

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

do you have NA version? there should be another influx of new NA players in a few days after the latest sale from Amazon.

I'm gonna start another character myself this weekend

geebee

Banned
Finally getting this game today. The only reason I've held out this long was due to my huge backlog.. but now I have the time to dedicate to this. :D

Coldsnap

Got this game during the amazon sale, I hope you guys don't let me down on this one. I want to use a big ass sword or axe, what class should I choose?

Roklie

I'm currently on 2-1 and my item burden is too big so I can't pick-up any weapons or items anymore and I've found many on the way with the same message, can I come back and pick them later if I go and deposit some of my current equipment in Nexus? Thanks

Canova

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Got this game during the amazon sale, I hope you guys don't let me down on this one. I want to use a big ass sword or axe, what class should I choose?

if you like melee, go with Temple Knight

Canova

Banned
Roklie said:
I'm currently on 2-1 and my item burden is too big so I can't pick-up any weapons or items anymore and I've found many on the way with the same message, can I come back and pick them later if I go and deposit some of my current equipment in Nexus? Thanks

once you touch an item, you have to pick it up or it will be gone if you go back to the Nexus.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:

Class doesn't really matter, just be sure to track down the Dragon Bone Smasher or the Meat Cleaver to satisfy your big ass weapon need.

Coldsnap

Gosh this game seems so crazy. Is there anything in the beginning that I should be doing to not be locked out of content latter on in the game like weapons/armor/spells?

Ferrio

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Gosh this game seems so crazy. Is there anything in the beginning that I should be doing to not be locked out of content latter on in the game like weapons/armor/spells?

Don't "use" boss souls. That's pretty much it. Oh and killing some npcs seriously fucks you over. Don't even hit them once or they get pretty pissed off, many people have accidently hit an npc and pretty much invalidated them for the rest of the game. I think there's only one you wanna make sure to cut down asap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:

When you kill a boss, you will get their soul. It can give you a decent chunk of souls if you consume it, but don't, they are to be exchanged for special weapon upgrades and spells/miracles.
Good luck out there.

Beaten. Don't kill the Knight guy in 1-1, he is your boy.

Requeim

i was wondering, how would you guys rank the worlds in the game?

for me:

1 = 4 > 2 = 3 > 5

this doesn't mean that 5 is bad in any way, but i feel it's the weakest by far. 5-2 is really the only level in the game that i don't like.

Shrine of storms is amazing

Canova

Banned
Requeim said:

for me:

1 = 4 > 2 = 3 > 5

this doesn't mean that 5 is bad in any way, but i feel it's the weakest by far. 5-2 is really the only level in the game that i don't like.

1>2>4>5>3

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Shrine of Storms is my favorite. 4-2 murders my ass everytime, but the design of the two levels is amazing, especially the first one. I love pretty much everything about it. The Storm King fight is possibly the easiest boss fight in the game, but it's still epic as fuck.

Boletarian Palace comes close. 1-3 is my favorite zone in the game after 4-1.
Tower of Latria isn't as great from a gameplay standpoint, but the atmosphere is so intense and it always creeps me out.

Valley of Defilement is probably no. 4 and Stonefang Tunnel is my least favorite, even though it's still great.

Requeim

Snuggler said:
The Shrine of Storms is my favorite. 4-2 murders my ass everytime, but the design of the two levels is amazing, especially the first one. I love pretty much everything about it. The Storm King fight is possibly the easiest boss fight in the game, but it's still epic as fuck.

<3

Coming in 2011, Project Dark official thread...

...a continuation of the Demon's Souls universe.

While we're speaking of favorite levels, mine is most definitely 3-1. God that level tortured me; when I first began playing it I had an impossible time progressing because I was underpowered, and had no idea what was in store for me. The fear was just indescribable.

hxa155

Requeim said:

for me:

1 = 4 > 2 = 3 > 5

World 1 is definitely the best.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
While we're speaking of favorite levels, mine is most definitely 3-1. God that level tortured me; when I first began playing it I had an impossible time progressing because I was underpowered, and had no idea what was in store for me. The fear was just indescribable.

Oh man, that level is seriously horrifying, especially the first time you play it.
The cthulus with their goddamn bells, oh man those guys are EVIL. Hiding in a cell as they pass is so intense. The place looks so dark and disgusting, it's what I imagine Hell would be like. It's also a good example of the fantastic sound design in Demon's Souls, the ambient noises alone are enough to give me the chills. Oh man and when you get to the area where the vendor lady is singing....

I should stop there. Once I start talking about this game, I can't stop.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Big B said:
don't forget lord rydell's grunting/moaning/screaming. Scary and at the same time hot.

Way back in this thread, someone compared his noises to someone having violent diarrhea pangs. Quite accurate, in my opinion.

ZeroRay

I think I said this once in this thread.

World 3 for atmosphere, 1 for combat, 4 for level design. Worlds 2 and 5 are great, I appreciate world 5 more now that I've beaten it 5 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom