• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack Addresses Kotaku Allegations [Silicon Knights]

This has been bothering me. If Andrew could only get 8 people out of over 100 to badmouth SK & Dyack, then I lean towards those 8 just being shitty with the company for their own personal reasons.

There were 32 names on the whistle-blower's list that he reached out to. I'm sure the total number wasn't too much more than that seeing as the author says "dozens." And what's with your phrasing? "Only got 8 people to badmouth SK & Dyack," as if he's asking them to say bad things. Remember, the original story was getting the truth about dozens of developers being potentially left off the game's credits - like with Team Bondi and LA Noire - not about X-men Destiny's troubled development.

In the article he names off a few examples of reasons why most didn't want to comment. Ex. not wanting to hurt possible future opportunities if any other info was possibly leaked. And if you think about it, nothing was stopping the developers from accepting an interview and giving positive accounts. It's not like they were gonna be blackballed from praising their former employer. Just so happens everyone who had something to say on the record had negative experiences to share.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Since they have a kickstarter in the balance where they're asking people to pay for their next game, I think it's relevant to the discussion the horrible misdeeds of their past, rather than making everything ride on this kotaku article. It's not merely an academic discussion; there are stakes here.

Paul Caporicci is not going to take my donation and secretly build Too Human 2. The absolute worst outcome of this is we get Kickstartered vaporware.

For anyone wanting to call neogaf haters, I think it's rare that neogaf collectively hates something without a good reason.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Again I could find eight anonymous banned sources who disagree. This thread hasn't exactly been ripe with consensus.

Mael

Since they have a kickstarter in the balance where they're asking people to pay for their next game, I think it's relevant to the discussion the horrible misdeeds of their past, rather than making everything ride on this kotaku article. It's not merely an academic discussion; there are stakes here.

For anyone wanting to call neogaf haters, I think it's rare that neogaf collectively hates something without a good reason.

Still even without the public character assassination, we're left with Dyack's track record and no one is forgetting anything though.
That doesn't mean everything you here from everyone is true though.
Sadam Hussain was a dirt bag but the testimony at the UN with a girl saying that they ate children was still false.
SH was still a dirt bag but that girl was still a lying bastard.
As I said before I don't care about the kickstarter or any for that matter.

There were 32 names on the whistle-blower's list that he reached out to. I'm sure the total number wasn't too much more than that seeing as the author says "dozens." And what's with your phrasing? "Only got 8 people to badmouth SK & Dyack," as if he's asking them to say bad things. Remember, the original story was getting the truth about dozens of developers being potentially left off the game's credits - like with Team Bondi and LA Noire - not about X-men Destiny's troubled development.

In the article he names off a few examples of reasons why most didn't want to comment. Ex. not wanting to hurt possible future opportunities if any other info was possibly leaked. And if you think about it, nothing was stopping the developers from accepting an interview and giving positive accounts. It's not like they were gonna be blackballed from praising their former employer. Just so happens everyone who had something to say on the record had negative experiences to share.
The staff roll issue is certainly valid concern but quite separate from the fraudulent issues at hand.
By that I mean I totally get that what the ex employee said could be the naked truth, it's not relevant to what I have issues with though.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
And if you think about it, nothing was stopping the developers from accepting an interview and giving positive accounts. It's not like they were gonna be blackballed from praising their former employer. Just so happens everyone who had something to say on the record had negative experiences to share.

Not everyone.

The video ends with additional comments from Precursor Games CEO Paul Caporicci and COO Shawn Jackson.

“I think Denis is one of the most creative persons I’ve ever met in the industry,” Caporicci argues. “Denis had reservations about doing this video but I felt that it was essential that we hit these issues head on.”

Jackson added: “Back in the studio environment there were a select few people who made it their mission to paint him in a certain light and it concerned me a lot. So I made it my mission to address those concerns and actually bring them to Denis.”

He then goes on to twice describe Dyack as “very generous and caring”.

Dat quote by Jackson... worth considering.

I apologise. I thought I read that he contacted a lot more than 32.

Regardless, 8 out of 32 is still a poor return in my book. The whole "too scared to comment" line doesn't fly with me as they were able to stay anonymous too if they wanted to, presumably.

Top Bottom