• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denver decriminalizes magic mushrooms.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Surprised there wasn't already a thread on this.

The action doesn't legalize psilocybin mushrooms, but it effectively bars the city from prosecuting or arresting adults 21 or older who possess them. In the ballot language, adults can even grow the fungus for personal use and be considered a low priority for Denver police. The changes could take effect as soon as next year.

What happened in Denver may be the start of a much larger movement, which seeks safe access to psilocybin for its purported medicinal value. Supporters point to research suggesting psilocybin is not addictive and causes few ER visits compared with other illegal drugs. Ongoing medical research shows it could be a groundbreaking medicine for treatment-resistant depression and to help curb nicotine addiction.

I like acid more, but no doubt shrooms are a memorable experience. I had a bad trip on them but would be willing to try again.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
LSD and shrooms are the only drugs I have ever been interested in trying, due to the experiences others have had and them being non-addictive.
It's fun, but you just have to take it seriously. It's not like other drugs.

You have to have a safe zone, at home, and don't leave home. Don't be around people you don't trust. Don't look in the mirror either. Just chill at home.

You have to have a safe zone, at home, and don't leave home. Don't be around people you don't trust. Don't look in the mirror either. Just chill at home.

I had a friend who was planning to walk me through an acid trip, but she moved cross country and we've been out of contact for almost a year. She was going to procure it for me and stay with me during it.

I really regret not doing that when I had the chance. I was also going to try weed with her, but LSD is far more interesting.

I actually have never done any sort of drug before. I dont even drink lol. Just really wanted to try it based on how she described her experiences.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
mushrooms rule. before the War on Drugs really ramped up in the 60s they were testing mushroom treatment on California prisoners and it was greatly reducing the re-incarceration rate. that got shut down because the private prisons rule the state and they WANT more people in jail, not less.

psychedelics are alright as long as you are doing it in a controlled situation. "set and setting" are key terms. make sure you are in a good mind to use it (ie not drinking when severely depressed) and use it in a place where you feel safe and secure (ie your home, not out in public).

bonus points for experiencing nature. on psychedelics, nature is so much more captivating than man created things. kinda makes sense Colorado would do this, it's a pretty psychedelic state, nature-wise.

Sleepydays

Banned
I didn't even know this was on the table, so it's hugely surprising.

I'd be very careful about legalizing mushrooms, but this just means not jailing people for possession, which is sensible enough.

TrainedRage

Banned
I’m too afraid to try these kind of drugs. I have severe anxiety/panic disorder and I would think that would combine for a pretty bad trip on my end
I have diagnosed depression and anxiety. I have had bad trips before and at times have been very thankful to have friends around.

I wish I could be a guide for all you guys that want to give it a try. In my experience where you are who you are with and your current mood play huge parts in how your trip will progress.

If you are feeling anxiety and you go ahead with the trip it may just push those thoughts into a spiral that you seemingly can't escape.

Yet if you are relaxed and in a decent mood it can yield some seriously positive effects.

It is literally life changing and will effect how you view the world in such a larger picture. It's like tapping into an unconscious collective of knowlage love and experiences.

nikolino840

And buy only if yours Friends already bought with that drug vendor..many young ones are died for taking poison from strangers in clubs ..

V2Tommy

It is literally life changing and will effect how you view the world in such a larger picture. It's like tapping into an unconscious collective of knowlage love and experiences.

Man, I've never wanted to try something less in my life. I bet any methhead will tell you the exact same thing, and any person that's murdered someone and telling you how it felt after.

The human brain is wonderful by default, you don't have to dose it with toxic substances.

TrainedRage

Banned
Man, I've never wanted to try something less in my life. I bet any methhead will tell you the exact same thing, and any person that's murdered someone and telling you how it felt after.

The human brain is wonderful by default, you don't have to dose it with toxic substances.
Except that meth is not a psychedelic hallucinogen... And yeah many people who have taken DMT say it simulates death in your brain, or the death of the Ego so you have an out of body like experience. But I wouldn't reccomend a noobie try DMT.

I try and avoid debates with people who have never experienced them before. But the comparison of meth to mushrooms is ignorantly incorrect.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Human brain chemistry is susceptible to a constant stream of stimuli including non-toxic substances. The amount of sleep you get, the foods you eat, the exercise you do or don't do, e.t.c. are all constantly influencing your consciousness. The act of taking a hallucinogenic drug is simply a more deliberate way of affecting it.

Humdinger

I took mushrooms twice, decades ago, in college. Once was fine -- I was out in nature among family and friends. The other time was not so good. I was walking around a city with guys I didn't know all that well. I got pretty paranoid, and it was very uncomfortable.

Anyway, it sounds like this isn't really legalizing it for sale, just refraining from punishing or persecuting those who are holding small amounts. If they take the step of legalizing it for sale, that would be something else.

Kamina

Golden Boy

What happens if you look into the mirror? Bloody Mary?

pr0cs

Surprising due to how intense the experience can be. I'm all for it though. It seriously can be a life changing experience, already scientifically proven to have positive benefits for a lot of people and their positive outlook on life.. Wish I still had a link to the study.

If you are in a good frame of mind, with people you like and trust shrooms is fantastic. Just be prepared for a long ride and sleep may be impossible for the better part of 24 hours.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't really think people should be doing time for musrooms especially since its grown naturally. I am not going to say its a harmless drug but compared to coke/acid etc its way below, I might even say less harmful then weed since you aren't smoking it.

I wouldn't support Mushrooms for all, but I don't really see a reason for someone to wind up in jail if they have an ounze of shrooms on them.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mushroom takers will avoid jail time, pair that with Colorado’s current weed laws and you have a very valuable market.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Except that meth is not a psychedelic hallucinogen... And yeah many people who have taken DMT say it simulates death in your brain, or the death of the Ego so you have an out of body like experience. But I wouldn't reccomend a noobie try DMT.

I try and avoid debates with people who have never experienced them before. But the comparison of meth to mushrooms is ignorantly incorrect.
loOFj8o.jpg

Weilthain

Banned
I did mushrooms I think 5 times. One was a low dose of wild Scottish shrooms that resulted in a really awesome trip where we went out on a boat on a loch and everything was larger than life and so surreal, a real "whoah man the meaning of life and all that" stuff.

The rest of the times were in Amsterdam with the strong stuff. Walking through the red light district looking at the hookers in their glass windows was pretty weird, the buildings were breathing and looming over us. Still fun time.

Again in Amsterdam, we were in a small tent at a campsite. The small tent was like a massive cathedral, and there was some kind of commotion going on outside involving tons of shouting men, like 2 football teams. Turns out it was just 2 guys getting kicked off the campsite but it honestly felt like something completely different.

Another time in a hostel, my friend turned into the muppet devil, as in he looked just like a muppet devil, was really funny. He totally freaked out soon after that and experienced spiders crawling over him. Major freak out for him, for me I had a good time.

Last time it was like time travel. I kept jumping through time but couldn't keep up, or remember what was happening. Was very confusing and not a pleasant experience. Not a major freakout compared to other stories, but definitely scary enough of an experience to call it quits after that.

TrainedRage

Banned
What happens if you look into the mirror? Bloody Mary?
It's kind of like seeing yourself for the first time. You don't believe it is you staring back. It starts this mental dual with your mirror persona. I was looking all close up at myself, trying to get a reaction from my mirror image or see if it was delayed or different somehow. I don't know, everyone has a different reaction and experience. I could have looked at a mirror or a painting for hours at a time while on shrooms.

Then another time I took a bunch of them and just played videogames and the trip was pretty normal and uneventful.

One time I ate mushrooms and they kicked in when I went to Meijer with a friend of mine. We roamed Meijer for 14 hours sitting on their furniture chasing an owl and watching the ceiling move and what not. It was a good time. Luckily they didn’t kick us out the entire time, but they kept their eye on us.

Winter John

Gold Member
We did mushrooms and went to see The Phantom Menace. We thought tripping our asses off watching a brand new Star Wars movie was going to be the best thing ever. We were wrong. That film sucked.

crowbrow

Banned
I've had only good to meh experienced with mushrooms a very bad one with lsd and a life changing good one with lsd. Despite the bad one, im still a fan of psychedelics. Just do it with the right company and setting and dont panic!

Teletraan1

Banned
I used to do shrooms all the time when I was young. In the Forrest was fun. I even did them at work once. Boring office job was fun for one day. I played through Zelda OOT on shrooms once.

Ironically the only time I had even close to a bad time was at at day 2 of a 3 day Phish concert. There were a bunch of people standing around me burning incense. The smoke was like a cartoon, it was swirling around me, it felt inescapable, I felt like I couldn't breathe. The person I was with noticed I was tripping and we moved. I ate something to take the trip down a notch. Unfortunately the concert was in a field. It was rainy prior to the show and the ground was pure muck. If you stood in place you would sink to about halfway up your shins. For the rest of the day I felt like I was going to get sucked into the mud but that part sucked regardless of shrooms.

I'm glad to see some places taking a different approach to narcotics. The current method of making people criminals for using chemicals to deal with their problems definitely doesn't work. It will be interesting to see how this effects crime rates etc

Less criminalization of most things would be a positive step for society.

We ought to be cultivating a society of openness and trust, not fear and oppression.

(Hugs tree. :p)

pr0cs

We ought to be cultivating a society of openness and trust, not fear and oppression.
Well I lean more on the Conservative side of things. Some people simply should not use any sort of drugs, booze or illicit. Sadly we have to err on the side of caution because these people tend to fuck it up for everyone else.
That being said, it's clear a "war" on them does NOT work and most of the time does nothing except tear people apart have a lot of secondary casualties either direct or indirect. Education and support is likely the best solution.

I'm in Canada, weed is legal here, personally I expected a lot more problems but there are tons of places to get help and education.

Shrooms are a whole other matter. I've never had a bad trip but I have "greened out" before and that was a horrific experience. Psychedelics has the potential to be MUCH worse

LordPezix

Hell yeah. I fully support drug legalization. Tax payers money could be put to better use than policing such nonsense.

Top Bottom