• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designer on Warrior's Lair (Ruin) says it will likely never release. [2013]

If true that is incredibly disappointing. I've been looking forward to this game since they announced it and I've been waiting forever to play a good, isometric action RPG on a handheld for a long time.

Shame.

Why.... why God why :( I just wanted this game to help scratch my Diablo/dungeon crawler itch. Now I guess all I'll ever have will be that crappy port of Dungeon Hunter and possible streaming Diablo 3 via the PS4.... WHYYYYY :((((

Takao

Banned
If the game was bad, the game was bad. Better to have it canceled than sent to die because Sony didn't feel it was worth their time.

Seeing that we saw a new trailer for it 4 months ago, I'd say not.

That trailer wasn't officially from Sony.

If the game was bad, the game was bad. Better to have it canceled than sent to die because Sony didn't feel it was worth their time.

That trailer wasn't officially from Sony.

I get what you are saying but the dev doesn't seem to think the game was bad.

I think we would have made it and would have had a pretty decent game by the end of it, but again, I can't see things too objectively. I'd say Sony was right to worry, but ultimately made a poor call.

Warrior's Lair wasn't going to set the world on fire. It did not have the budget to compete with a Dark Souls, much less a Diablo. It probably had a number of weak spots. But I also think it would have been worth playing.

Remember Shuhei Yoshida thought Demon's Souls was crap and shut down Studio Liverpool despite them making one of the best downloadable games on PS3. Sony execs are not immune from making dumb decisions.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shame, the vid from December looks decent. Certainly better than the likes of Dungeon Hunter or even Sony's own previous handheld efforts with the Untold Legends franchise.

stufte

I really hope this game gets released, but I highly doubt that it will. It's a shame too, because it was so much fun to play.

So, after E3... Any new info about Warrior´s Lair, or can we assume that it is finally dead?
Can't really assume it's dead until San Diego announces a different non-MLB project. Too bad it fell of the earth though, especially now that Ubisoft announced essentially the same game just with a more cartoony/comedic style (The Epic Quest for Mighty Loot).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I was really looking forward to it. The Vita could have especially used it given the barren first-party release list for the year.

So many Monster Hunter clones, not one Diablo clone.

Who knows, maybe a surprise Torchlight port is right around the corner for both handhelds...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

What's been bugging me about this metacritic thing lately is it's supposed to be a cost saving measure.

It's not.

Sure they might not have to pay out a bonus, but they're forcing the addition of multiplayer modes, (I can't believe that game reviewers all really wanted Mass Effect multiplayer, Uncharted multiplayer etc even though they kept asking for them for years.) full voice acting and a host of other irrelevant and useless features nobody really wants because not having them apparently drags the review scores down.

They're now uniformly tying their budgets in an upward trend to negative bullet points in game reviews.

The worst part I read was Sony not caring about the Vita edition and being more concerned about how it plays on the PS3. Well I guess Sony doesn't really care about the Vita. :(

Circinus

Idol Minds (developer of Warrior's Lair) has now transitioned to mobile F2P game development (they made Qube Kingdom for example, which is published by DeNA).

SCE San Diego Studio (was overseeing Warrior's Lair and reportedly going to take over development) is now working on Kill Strain. A competitive top-down action game and I thought it was slightly reminiscent of Warrior's Lair.

Anyway, shame that this was cancelled, this looked decent, and a Diablo-style game on PS Vita could have been pretty fun. Honestly, I can't blame SCEA producers from a business point of view, because this game was going to have a hard time in terms of gaining mainstream appeal I think. I definitely don't think this game was going to be commercially successful as a boxed retail title.

Maybe they could have turned it into an F2P game like Fable Legends, seeing how F2P games and MLB are now SCE San Diego Studio's focus anyway.

Anyway in terms of commercial prospects, it could have been released and be the most amazing masterpiece on PS Vita, and it probably still wouldn't get much attention and lots of people would just proceed to perpetuate that PS Vita has no games, unfortunately. :p :l

Edit: and maybe the fact that Diablo III was being ported to consoles at the time, might also have contributed to SCEA producers deciding to cancel this. :l

CHC

What the hell is going on with those 2 year old thread bumps *_*

Usually junior members with some marginally-related update who are unable to start a new thread yet.

(Not trying to sound condescending that is really the answer)

Man, thats so frustrating

I was just thinking I would love an action based Diablo with more action oriented controls like being able to do combos

Sony own the code exclusively though right? Couldnt do a kickstarter?

- edit Oh woah didnt notice it was a 2 year bump

It's a shame Sony cancelled so many early potential Vita games. I was really excited for this one in particular.

What I don't understand is, if it was only three months from development, why didn't they release it? Did they really expect to make less than three months work on it? Especially since it was apparently coming along well.

I'm loving these necrobumps today.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's a shame Sony cancelled so many early potential Vita games. I was really excited for this one in particular.

What I don't understand is, if it was only three months from development, why didn't they release it? Did they really expect to make less than three months work on it? Especially since it was apparently coming along well.

Which games outside of Warrior's Lair did Sony cancel for Vita?

5taquitos

I'm willing to bet the lead dev was being...optimistic when he said they were only 3 months out.

Top Bottom