• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite Releasing One AAA Game Every 4-5 Years, CD Projekt RED is Now Worth $8 Billion

base

Banned
They are not supported by the government. Actually, the gov tried to use their succes to promote their tax reform. CDPR did it all alone without any support. I'd advise them to follow this path and not get involved in the politics.

FeiRR

Banned
FYI, Poland is a rich country.
Lol, no. Where did you get that from, official propaganda of the totalitarian government? If there's a way to milk CDPR because of their success, they'll find a way, just like with every successful company.

Last edited:

HarryKS

They own GOG and one of the best game this year Cyberpunk 2077 is from them

In other words youre deluded

Equities, how do they work?

Magic.

Just for comparison's sake, Macy's, which has fallen on hard times recently, but is still resilient compared to many other mall-dependent retail stores, has a market cap of 5.14 billion as of closing yesterday. They employ roughly 130k.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
Lots of news reports and all that about Poland during the years. Are they all lying?
Generally speaking: yes. We're a third world country in the middle of Europe. I'm talking here about personal freedom and level of welfare, not that shops are full of stuff and banks lend you money so you can seem happy.

molasar

Banned
Generally speaking: yes. We're a third world country in the middle of Europe. I'm talking here about personal freedom and level of welfare, not that shops are full of stuff and banks lend you money so you can seem happy.

What rating criteria do you use?

Poland is a developed country i.e. the 1st world country. The main issue there is with parasites in power. However the other countries have the same problem.

FeiRR

Banned
What rating criteria do you use?

Poland is a developed country i.e. the 1st world country. The main issue there is with parasites in power. However the other countries have the same problem.
Freedom of speech is gone after 30 years of hiatus from totalitarianism. Law is fictional now because courts belong to the ruling power. As for welfare, for example a CVA department closed down in my town this month. People who get a stroke here are most likely going to die or at least be disabled for the rest of their lives. In another town I lived, there's no children's ward so I had to drive my friend and her son who had a small accident at a playground half an hour to another town. If he had had a serious injury, his life could have been in danger. If I can't be sure the money we pay for health insurance actually gives you insurance, I don't consider such living conditions to be "developed".

What criteria do you use? For me "others have it as bad" doesn't count. "Some have it better" does, though. If there are countries with better living environments, they are first world, not us.

molasar

Banned
Freedom of speech is gone after 30 years of hiatus from totalitarianism. Law is fictional now because courts belong to the ruling power. As for welfare, for example a CVA department closed down in my town this month. People who get a stroke here are most likely going to die or at least be disabled for the rest of their lives. In another town I lived, there's no children's ward so I had to drive my friend and her son who had a small accident at a playground half an hour to another town. If he had had a serious injury, his life could have been in danger. If I can't be sure the money we pay for health insurance actually gives you insurance, I don't consider such living conditions to be "developed".

What criteria do you use? For me "others have it as bad" doesn't count. "Some have it better" does, though. If there are countries with better living environments, they are first world, not us.

What you mentioned are effects caused by parasites who can be bribed and they increase taxes as much as possible. Not to mention a majority of manipulated citizens there who are interested in ad hoc solutions only like there is no future.

Do you live there? Do you do anything actively to change this dire situation?

FeiRR

Banned
What you mentioned are effects caused by parasites who can be bribed and they increase taxes as much as possible. Not to mention a majority of manipulated citizens there who are interested in ad hoc solutions only like there is no future.
Exactly that. So we're not civilized here. Civilized societies understand that future is important, even if just for the sake of their own offspring.
Do you live there? Do you do anything actively to change this dire situation?
I go to vote every time I can. I try to be an example by not breaking law (which seems to be the norm). I try to help people who seem worth it. What else would you suggest?

molasar

Banned
Exactly that. So we're not civilized here. Civilized societies understand that future is important, even if just for the sake of their own offspring.

I go to vote every time I can. I try to be an example by not breaking law (which seems to be the norm). I try to help people who seem worth it. What else would you suggest?

I will send you a PM regarding this.

Mattyp

Gold Member
They are not based in that toilet that is San Francisco or any other California city so that there saves them billions every year.

The price of property and food in Poland is some of the cheapest in Europe when I visited, I dare say their outlay is absolute fuck all. No way they don't own the headquarters they're in now.

Still massively over valued but for what they produce Witcher & Cyberpunk bring in bank but not $8 billion worth of bank. We're saying it's worth 3x as much as Minecraft? Not a chance. As someone who heavily invests I just can't see the potential on earnings to have this market cap.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The price of property and food in Poland is some of the cheapest in Europe when I visited, I dare say their outlay is absolute fuck all. No way they don't own the headquarters they're in now.

Still massively over valued but for what they produce Witcher & Cyberpunk bring in bank but not $8 billion worth of bank. We're saying it's worth 3x as much as Minecraft? Not a chance. As someone who heavily invests I just can't see the potential on earnings to have this market cap.

I dare say theyre the best in the business right now

If theres anyone worth that many its them

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
The price of property and food in Poland is some of the cheapest in Europe when I visited

If you put those prices against a minimum wage there, then it is not so rainbows and unicorns. Also a really good food is quite expensive.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
so proud and happy for them.

i'm super excited for Cyberpunk like most people but i think a lot of people have insane and unrealistic expectations for it. i'm not financial expert but i am expecting that their valuation will drop quite a bit after the game is out.

there is no doubt it will sell like crazy but i'm thinking long term sales. of course there is no reason why they couldn't out perform The Witcher 3 but i'm just concerned about the hype some people have for it.

CdPR will be worth $20 billion.

Dontero

Banned

CDPR with Cyberpunk2077 can break GTA like numbers. If nothing shits the bed they are on path to become next Rockstar.

God dam. Good to see a company that doesn't fuck over their fans get rewarded.

This entitlement that they have been granted, i dont understand. They are basically like all indie studios they call all the shots and hold themselves accountable for what happens to their product. If you believe, if they continue to grow, they will not change their buiness strategy,

Totally agree, no way they are worth that amount, AND it all banks on their next game. For comparison go look at Bioshock Infinites reveal and it was equal to the first impressions of Cyberpunk, and how did that work out for ken Levines team? They are talented devs. and top tier, but putting this $$$ amount to an ind. studio is different. NOW there are other factors to consider down the road including movies and tv shows, but they dont own the IPs the are working on , so dont know how they reap any of that $$$$ other than the video game piece.

molasar

Banned
CDPR with Cyberpunk2077 can break GTA like numbers. If nothing shits the bed they are on path to become next Rockstar.

58074aa4a269ea91874cbd556c82b50d.gif

Dontero

Banned

TW3 is aproaching 30mln coppies. They sold more copies after first year than release year. Those are already huge near GTA like numbers. I obviously don't talk about GTA5 success which is record but something like GTA4 maybe above that.

CB2077 has so much hype around that i can only compare it to GTA4 hype back in the day.

HarryKS

TW3 is aproaching 30mln coppies. They sold more copies after first year than release year. Those are already huge near GTA like numbers. I obviously don't talk about GTA5 success which is record but something like GTA4 maybe above that.

CB2077 has so much hype around that i can only compare it to GTA4 hype back in the day.

Look at earnings reports, not sales. People aren't denying the success of the company as a competent game developer, rather, they're using some common sense and commenting on overvalued companies and equities.

FeiRR

Banned
I had known about the delay before it was announced. The person I got that info from also said that the reason at least partially was game design, not (only) technical problems, which doesn't bode well. He also said he was going to sell his shares in CDPR before the launch. Of course I wish them a success but this is a very ambitious project, they hired some outside people to help them and maybe not all is bright.

I know some devs but please don't consider me to be an insider. I don't ask people about their work if I know they can't talk about it. Such information may and will influence the share price so spreading it against a NDA is criminal offence. Sometimes people start speaking on their own, which is fine with me but it's quite rare.

I really appreciate how much they have grown culminating with the development and release of one of the greatest games of all times. I still remember wen the first Witcher game was released, and wen they finally launched GOG; I would have never, ever imagined back then that this small development company from Poland would end up where they are now. It still is something bewildering to behold, to be honest. I just hope they don't end up becoming the villain.

Shouldn't it really be one AAA game, period? The first two Witcher games were not AAA.

The Witcher 2 was AAA, it was made on a budget of around 10+ million on an engine built by themselves from the ground up (REDengine), had a strong marketing campain, sold millions and was released on most major platforms. I remember the hype, it was pretty damn huge because it was marketed as this remarkable improvement over the original, which in many ways it was.

The first Witcher was AA, it was made on a shoestring budget of about 1 mil. (IIRC, i may be wrong about the amount) by a (then) small group of people on a modified version of Bioware's Aurora Engine (the same one used for Neverwinter Nights).

Last edited:
I mean its their own platform but only the stupid that will ditch Steam.

GoG Galaxy 2.0 has made ditching Steam much easier imo. Finally your library in one place. Heck, the free EGS games I've been collecting are finally in a state where I might play them.

Dontero

Banned
Look at earnings reports, not sales. People aren't denying the success of the company as a competent game developer, rather, they're using some common sense and commenting on overvalued companies and equities.

I don't think you understand what is stock price. Stock price IS NOT how much company is worth now. Stock price is prospect of company growth.

Simple example. If company is folding down, stock price goes to 0. Company can be worth billions but it is not worth a lot when you buy something to lose then later.

On other hand if you have small company that has invention or product to be released in future you know it will sell a lot then anyone buying stock can triple quadruple or more their investment as stock price will soar later.

This is why small companies can be worth bilions despite owning only 1 building and few employees. Because stock price is not how much they are worth now but pricetag on their future growth.

Company like EA doesn't have much change in stock price because whatever they do they will be stable. Buying EA stock to gain on EA growth is idiotic. You would have to wait years or maybe even decades to quadruple your investment. In case of CDPR if CB2077 will be success you will instantly get 4 or more what you put in.

Back in 2013 their stock price was worth about 5zl now it is 330zl+ If you would invest in them 1 milion you would get nearly 65 in return.

If you put money in EA stock you will get maybe 20% in next few years.

That is why their price is so high.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
I don't think you understand what is stock price. Stock price IS NOT how much company is worth now. Stock price is prospect of company growth.

Simple example. If company is folding down, stock price goes to 0. Company can be worth billions but it is not worth a lot when you buy something to lose then later.

On other hand if you have small company that has invention or product to be released in future you know it will sell a lot then anyone buying stock can triple quadruple or more their investment as stock price will soar later.

This is why small companies can be worth bilions despite owning only 1 building and few employees. Because stock price is not how much they are worth now but pricetag on their future growth.

Company like EA doesn't have much change in stock price because whatever they do they will be stable. Buying EA stock to gain on EA growth is idiotic. You would have to wait years or maybe even decades to quadruple your investment. In case of CDPR if CB2077 will be success you will instantly get 4 or more what you put in.

Back in 2013 their stock price was worth about 5zl now it is 330zl+ If you would invest in them 1 milion you would get nearly 65 in return.

It is still a speculative value.

HarryKS

I don't think you quite understand what drives stock price. Although it is true that as a growth vehicle it's been exceptional, the basis for it is not founded on sound principles, i.e: net income, revenue stream, eps...etc.

There has been a pattern for a while, driven by tech companies mostly where investors have prioritized growth over profits and actual earnings and we're now in a house of cards situation. Some of the biggest growth companies are now being pumped with money despite not having anything to really show for it: TESLA, Beyond Meat, Virgin Space. We're in a current state of euphoria driven mostly by speculation.

GeorgPrime

Banned
One AAA every 5 years. I feel bad for Ubisoft... am i? 😂

Well done CD Projekt Red. Next year, you'll be number one. 👍👏

That happens when you bring one good AAA game that sells instead of 5 aaa games said are mediocre and boring xD

Cant wait for Cyberpunk 2077 come out soon enough

Last edited:
Top Bottom