• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is a sequel to Destiny 1 vanilla rather than Destiny 1's Year 3

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that this thread is more about Destiny 2's PvE, so don't expect any talk about PvP since I'm not knowledgeable about PvP

It’s been a month since Destiny 2 and it made some pretty nice improvements in number of things from Destiny 1. But there are a number of things I find very questionable, including some stuff from Destiny 1 that were removed or not added to Destiny 2. The thread's premise as per the title is gonna go about the stuff

Gameplay:

The gameplay of Destiny 2 is still good, the guns still feel good and shooting aliens in the head always feels fucking relaxing. But, there are a few things that I find it questionable in terms of gameplay. For example, in Destiny 1, your abilities (super, grenade, melee) recharges faster based on your armor stats (Intellect for supers, Discipline for grenades, and Strength for Melee). Those were replaced with resilience, mobility, and recovery. Yet, those stats are mostly useless for PvE. Mobility doesn't affect your sprint speed, resilience is better off at 4 and nothing more, so that makes recovery the only useful stat for PvE. And worse than that, your base abilities don't recharge as fast as D1 used to and the cooldowns effects from the cooldown mods are negligible at best

Secondly, your movement feel slower in D2. There's no Titan-skating anymore, you don't feel fast as lightning, your grenades (save for pulse grenades) don't feel powerful as they used to. And lastly, I'd like to talk about the weapon loadout system. I'm not sure why Bungie felt it was necessary of them to put Shotguns and Snipers to heavy weapons (now known as power weapons). I'm sure they did that to make so Shotguns and Snipers don't become too prevalent in PvP or make the raid encounters too easy, but only few types of power weapons are used in the game. Personally, I've seen more people use shotguns, rocket launchers, and fusion rifles than the other three. Snipers aren't used for the most part and Grenade Launchers which replaced Machine Guns with a number of exceptions aren't good due to the blast radius and their damage.

Mods:

Mods were newly added to the game, as supposedly to enhance the perks or stats of your gear and weapons. Yet they feel underutilized. The recoil mods isn't used much, and most players would use legendary mods to increase their gear value by 5. Hell, once you use the mod, you can't use it again which can be seen as a problem because I’m pretty sure not a lot of people would like to waste their glimmer just so they can get enough of 3 specific blue mods to turn them into legendary

If this is Bungie's solution to the random rolls that was removed in Destiny 2, then they didn't do a good job at it. The mods system needs be expanded to have 3 slots. The mods could be three with one where you can change the attributes of a weapon (range, reload speed, stability, etc..), one that adds perks (Third Eye, Headseeker, Drop Mag, etc...), and one that increases power level which we currently have
In addition, it would be nice to earn legendary mods through completing weekly endgame activities like with Nightfall, Crucible, Raid, or even Flashpoints so we don’t have to waste glimmer and dismantle legendary mods just so we can get legendary mods.

Exotics:

Exotics are gear and weapons that players wanna chase for as they could have perks that could change their playstyle or the way their character plays. In other terms, players want them to fulfill their power fantasy. But with a handful of exceptions ), they feel underwhelming in some parts

For a while, after year 1, Bungie made the exotics as a way where it could fulfill a particular playstyle and not just be strong at everything like Y1 Gjallaharon or the infamous Y1 Vex Mythoclast. An admirable goal, but at this moment, they don't feel like the kind of exotics where you really want to get them, you simply get them from Exotic engrams through Public Events or get one of them through story missions. And at this moment, there’s no Exotic Questlines, which sucks because those stuff were fun to do

Lucky Pants's perks basically increases your HC ready speed and initial accuracy. And Mechaneer's Tricksleeves just increases your side-arm's reload speed. That's it. Those perks belong to legendary armor. Not exotics. The problem is that Exotics don’t feel unique for the most part (Some like Hallowfire Heart and Wings of Sacred Dawn have perks that are basically cut from the subclass trees) and the ones that are unique or just plain fun to play are few (Actium War Rig, Sweet Business, Tractor Cannon, etc…)

I know we’ll see more Exotics as time marches on, but I’d like to see Bungie get more creative and put more unique Exotics in the future

Moving on....

Legendary gear and lack of exciting perks:

Legendary gear is where you basically you grind and earn through the weekly endgame activities or other activities like Public Events. However, the legendary armor perks only comes with recovery, resilience, and mobility. Considering that recovery is the most important stat and both resilience/mobility have little to no beneficial effects in PvE, there wouldn’t be a lot of armor options for players, especially for Hunters. There’s not even any perks from D1 like increasing grenade throw distance, more ammo for a weapon type, less cooldown for your abilities, less cooldown for grenades when using melee kills, none. And that makes getting the legendary armor less exciting.

While some of the legendary weapons are quite good (Nameless Midnight, Nightshade, Last Hope, Antiope-D, etc…), the fact that their perks are static and not randomly rolled every time you get them makes it unfortunate because it means a bad legendary gun will be bad forever. But I’ll discuss the issue of static rolls later on.

And now, onto the raid...
The Raid:
Ah, the raid. The one endgame activity where players fight against tough encounters, defeat the final boss and get loot as a reward at the end of it.

I’m somewhat mixed on the Leviathan Raid. The encounters are pretty good, although the Dogs encounter was a source of frustration for the first week, but that’s been handled as we already got familiar with the Raid encounters. Exploring the Underbelly was pretty cool, but it got tedious overtime. But my main issue is the loot themselves. When you complete the encounters, you usually only get raid tokens you use for the raid vendor at the Tower to get the raid gear and they have lower PL than the ones you get from the raid themselves. The raid armor pieces and weapons aren’t even 100% guaranteed to drop from completing encounters save for Calus. You want to me to use the tokens? Fine, but at least make the drops from the raid more guaranteed. But that’s not the biggest problem I have with the raid.

The biggest problem is the lack of raid-specific perks from the gear themselves. Why the weapons don’t have a perk that increases damage against Dogs? Why they don’t have a perk that increases damage against the Cabal? Why there’s no perk for armor where you can move faster when holding the orb? Or a perk that increases damage against Calus? I could go on. I don’t understand how the designers behind the best Raid (And it's Wrath of The Machine IMO) managed to mess up few things that didn’t need fixing. And it doesn’t help that the Prestige mode of the Raid don’t allow you to increase your power level.. So not much motivation to do the Prestige raid unless you want to do it for the challenge

And unless you’d like to read the lore on the raid gear or feel like collecting them, there’s not much motivation to get them as they don’t have unique perks anymore.

The endgame grind or lack thereof:

So now, we go to the crux of the main issue. The endgame itself. Destiny 1 has never had a perfect endgame. In fact, Bungie put their time trying to make the endgame more welcoming to players over the years with The Taken King and Rise of Iron. In fact, the difference between vanilla Destiny and Destiny Rise of Iron is night and day. And with Age of Triumph update, there were a lot (Remastered old Raids to 390 light level, New raid armor ornaments from remastered Raids, Weekly heroic strikes, Weekly Nightfall, etc…). Hell, even before Age of Triumph, there were Strike loot and Strike scoring which gave a lot of players a motivation to grind the strikes.

Destiny 2, however, abandons the QoL changes and improvements that was made from TTK and RoI. In fact, all you do every week is for the milestones, namely: Nightfall, Crucible Call to Arms, Flashpoints, Raid, and Trials. That’s it. There’s not much motivation to do Strikes because you can’t even select the Strike you wanna play, there’s not even Heroic Strikes or Strike loot anymore. Those Lost Sectors and Adventures that Bungie talked about? They’re pretty much irrelevant after 265 PL. No private matches, no armor ornaments, or even armor sets that makes you feel you want to have it no matter what.
But the worst part about Destiny 2’s endgame is for me? The chase for loot doesn’t feel exciting anymore. The removal of random rolls didn’t help that either

For those who aren’t familiar with random rolls, every time you get a specific weapon, you get a random set of perks. That means every dupe of the same weapon will have different rolls of perks everytime. For some people, it made the chase for the perfect roll of the weapon they want to get very exciting. For others, it was tedious and annoying to the point it soured the game for them. As Destiny 2 has shown, Bungie took the latter’s feedback and removed random rolls out of the game. The mod system, as I said previously, is half-assed in its current state and not a good workaround to the static rolls.

So why is the the removal of random rolls is a problem? For one, it makes chasing the Namless Midnight you’re looking for is less exciting because you know the second or third Nameless Midnight is always the same. And if a legendary weapon is considered bad, you wouldn’t be able to change it and make it better through random roll of perks like random rolls used to do. And what if you want to change the explosive rounds perk to Outlaw perk for Nameless Midnight? With static rolls, that’s not possible. And the reskinned weapons is a problem with static rolls. I know Destiny 1 had numbers of reskinned weapons, but at least they felt different from each other due to random rolls. And it's not like anyone put fucking gun to your head and forced you to grind the same weapon until you get the perfect roll

Now I understand the fear of missing out, I understand that you have to overly grind just so you can get a perfect roll for Eyasluna and that the layer of RNG behind the random rolls wasn’t good. But it’s not like anyone forced you to do it. And if anything, they could’ve solved the problem of random rolls affecting PvP by disabling it from PvP or remove a handful of useless perks that wasn’t beneficial. However, Bungie took the easy out with the random rolls. And knowing they design their game around the parity of PvE and PvP, I don’t see much changing until they decide that designing both modes separately is beneficial for both players in the long run and it would allow them to get more creative with PvE and be less shackled for their quest for a balanced PvP

As it is now, The mod system is not a good substitute and needs to be expanded, especially with the lack of chase for loot or rather the loot itself feeling bland and boring for the most part. (I get that some people play Destiny for friendship, but loot should feel exciting to chase for as well)

I understand Bungie doesn’t want Destiny to feel like a second job. But it should have replayability. The fact that a month later and people are getting bored shows that the they’re designing the game the wrong way. The hardcore players feel alienated because everyone get the rewards and they don’t get to reap the rewards for their effort in playing tons of hours.

Call me elitist all you like, but I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't get to max level unless you're willing to do endgame activities like Raids, Nightfall, and Trials. What's the fucking point of doing those activities if you can easily get max level through Public Events? Public Events should be an avenue to get gear, not a sprint that will get you to max level

So… To conclude this, Destiny 2 is more of a sequel to Destiny 1 vanilla rather than Destiny 1’s Year 3. Now, don’t get me wrong, it might be good for people who hated Destiny 1. But for me, I like to grind. I like to have a game where I play it every day just like people who play League of Legends, World of Warcraft, DOTA 2, and Overwatch. Destiny 2 doesn’t accomplish that for me because the endgame is lacking.

Now, I’m not gonna quit the game forever or anything. I’m in it for the long haul, because I know things will improve with Destiny 2, but I sure as hell wish I didn’t have to wait for DLC for the game to get better.

Monocle

If this is accurate, I might have to do what I did with Destiny 1 and wait for all of the DLC to be released. I was very dissatisfied with vanilla Destiny, and absolutely delighted with the expansions.

My main issue currently is the grind from 265 to 290. Only way to get powerful gear is one weekly event, one nightfall (which you need to be higher than 265 for) per week and one raid (which you need to be 290 for) per week.

Not enough fun ways to bump up after 265 makes it a tough grind without much to look forward to due to lack of interesting endgame loot.

GlamFM

Banned
In some ways... yeah.

But it´s also (unfortunately) a pretty direct continuation of the road they were on since TTK.

Equalize EVERYTHING. Take the edge of EVERYTHING.

3oC, Infusion - nothing matters, everything is flat.

For me personally Bungie keeps drawing the wrong conclusions.

The loot-cave wasn´t a thing because the game "was not rewarding enough", it was a thing because people were "hungry".

The hunger is the driving force here - That´s the part Bungie should focus on.

(BAD?) ANALOGY TIME!

I don´t have a better time fishing if I drive up to a lake in the morning and someone hands me the fish.

Sitting there for 6hrs in anticipation is the actual fishing experience - so much so that some fishers trow the fish back into the lake after catching it.

I always thought that was what people meant by saying Destiny 1.5

Its a redux of the original game, with some QoL improvements and a gear reset to hopefully attain some kind of balanced foundation.

If this is accurate, I might have to do what I did with Destiny 1 and wait for all of the DLC to be released.
Solid plan. I had my best times with Destiny after I waited for a few DLCs to stack up.

Born2Live

My main issue currently is the grind from 265 to 290. Only way to get powerful gear is one weekly event, one nightfall (which you need to be higher than 265 for) per week and one raid (which you need to be 290 for) per week.

Not enough fun ways to bump up after 265 makes it a tough grind without much to look forward to due to lack of interesting endgame loot.

I'm sure you get powerful gear from Flashpoints, Call to Arms as well as Nightfall. Also don't forget your clan rewards should drop at a higher level too. So I think you've got it wrong with there only being one way to gain powerful gear.

panda-zebra

There's far more ways to get higher level gear. It's barely any sort of "grind" going between 265 and 290, in the context of previous Destiny it's tirvial, especially when you get to play with mods at 280 (shit-tier as they are).

Kill3r7

In some ways... yeah.

But it´s also (unfortunately) a pretty direct continuation of the road they were on since TTK.

Equalize EVERYTHING. Take the edge of EVERYTHING.

3oC, Infusion - nothing matters, everything is flat.

For me personally Bungie keeps drawing the wrong conclusions.

The loot-cave wasn´t a thing because the game "was not rewarding enough", it was a thing because people were "hungry".

The hunger is the driving force here - That´s the part Bungie should focus on.

(BAD?) ANALOGY TIME!

I don´t have a better time fishing if I drive up to a lake in the morning and someone hands me the fish.

Sitting there for 6hrs in anticipation is the actual fishing experience - so much so that some fishers trow the fish back into the lake after catching it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure you get powerful gear from Flashpoints, Call to Arms as well as Nightfall. Also don't forget your clan rewards should drop at a higher level too. So I think you've got it wrong with there only being one way to gain powerful gear.

my issue is more that it's finite.

like "oh, damn, all these engrams gave me helmets and power weapons and I already have those... and now there aren't anymore until next week? I guess I'm done with Destiny. This sucks."

I sat down today thinking I might want to do the weekly shit, and the spell was completely broken for me. Granted, I'm 275ish -- I could probably do the raid now. Getting a group together with five friends is hard though. I'll beat the drum again: I wish there was actually a reason to play strikes.

ethomaz

Banned
It is a sequel to the changes they started with TTK.

Destiny vanilla is still the best Destiny.

So… To conclude this, Destiny 2 is more of a sequel to Destiny 1 vanilla rather than Destiny 1’s Year 3. Now, don’t get me wrong, it might be good for people who hated Destiny 1.
But for me, I like to grind. I like to have a game where I play it every day just like people who play League of Legends, World of Warcraft, DOTA 2, and Overwatch.
Destiny 2 doesn’t accomplish that for me because the endgame is lacking.
That was what Destiny vanilla delivered and what Destiny 2 lacks (and what Destiny 1 year 3 is about).

So how you reach the conclusion in the opposite way is mind blowing :D

ethomaz

Banned

You can reach 310 light without ever touch any ending game activity (Raid, Nightfall, etc).

It is pretty fast too with no grind involved.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You can reach 310 light without ever touch any ending game activity (Raid, Nightfall, etc).

It is pretty fast too.
once you have all the powerful engrams, and you're sub-280, how?

sincere question. all my engrams are capped at 265+(some level proportionate number)

GlamFM

Banned

sincere question. all my engrams are capped at 265+(some level proportionate number)

You get new milestones every Tuesday.

Clan XP contribution
Flashpoint
Call to arms
Nightfall
Raid

+ 4 Powerful Clan engrams (if you are in a clan that is good/big)

Truant

I've been saying it for weeks. Taken King was much more exciting than this. The story and the main villain were a lot more engaging, it was filled with mystery, and they leaned much more into the RPG/MMO aspects of the game with the Quest system and whatnot.

I love the more open nature of the planets and how you access missions, but everything else feels like a step back.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You get new milestones every Tuesday.

Clan XP contribution
Flashpoint
Call to arms
Nightfall
Raid

+ 4 Powerful Clan engrams (if you are in a clan that is good/big)

i mean, yes, but that's only once per week, right? and if they drop equipment for slots that are already high level you're out of luck. More so if you can't stand the PVP stuff. :(

GlamFM

Banned
i mean, yes, but that's only once per week, right? and if they drop equipment for slots that are already high level you're out of luck. More so if you can't stand the PVP stuff. :(

Yeah, that´s once per week. It´ll still get you to 305 rather quickly.

Keep in mind that there is no reason to be 305 in Destiny 2 because nothing matters at all once you are past 280.

ethomaz

Banned

Every week: Flashpoints, Call of Arms, Clan rewards, etc.

I got to 300 with one character without Raid or do Nightfall... in fact I didn’t touch Nightfall in the last two weeks with any character and I never did Raid... never infused anything due holding the purple things to Xur.

Because the lack of time (and bored) I’m playing about 2-3 hours per week and without doing Ninghtfall or Raid I already crossed 300.

Ohhhh Purple Mods give you more 5 light per gear... I never used them too.

I agree with most of the OP except for the issue of random rolls on loots stats. More reliance on RNG for progression is never a good thing, imho. I'd be happier if random loot drops in all gameplay activities allowed loot to drop which had a PL upto maybe 5-10 levels higher than your own. In which case you'd be incentivized to do more than just the weekly activities in order to progress your character.

At the moment there's little reward for putting in more time playing D2, and it shouldn't be like that.

Another issue I've never figured out is the difference between the three energy types for energy weapons: i.e. void, arc and solar? Are they supposed to affect different enemy races differently? As I've never seen a difference personally.

I agree with most of the OP except for the issue of random rolls on loots stats. More reliance on RNG for progression is never a good thing, imho. I'd be happier if random loot drops in all gameplay activities allowed loot to drop which had a PL upto maybe 5-10 levels higher than your own. In which case you'd be incentivized to do more than just the weekly activities in order to progress your character.

At the moment there's little reward for putting in more time playing D2, and it shouldn't be like that.

Another issue I've never figured out is the difference between the three energy types for energy weapons: i.e. void, arc and solar? Are they supposed to affect different enemy races differently? As I've never seen a difference personally.

Elemental weapons affect shielded enemies depending on the type of shield they have.

So if you use an arc weapon against an enemy with arc shield, destroying his shield would cause an explosion that can affect any other enemies near him.

I've seen enough of destiny 2 to feel bad thinking about buying it, and just watching destiny 1 nerf perks and how powerful exotics were was enough to tell me that bungie really don't know is what they want from their own looter shooter.

When perks suck and hardly do anything you've done something seriously wrong in a game where loot is the main attraction.

SkylineRKR

Its worse than D1. That game at least had a hook. More strikes, freely selectable. More PvP maps, better maps, game modes to choose.

More build variety, already too limited for me, but better than this pre baked D2 shit. Especially combined with D1 exotic armor there were some interesting options. Not to mention exotic weapon perks. And legendary rolls were kind of exciting because of a possible great roll. Keeping 2 of the same weapon was viable.

D2 has QoL improvements. But it was ridiculous that a 2014 AAA game didn't have those. They're not special, just new for this franchise.

Destiny 2 is shit and glad I sold it for 35. Had 2 weeks of fun with it, kind of. For PvE i prefer Warframe and its free.

Also, release schedule. Dragon's dogma, shadow of war, TEW2 and Wolf 2 are all mine. 2014 was less packed.

As someone who has no time for the end game grind and dropped destiny 1 TTK after finished the story stuff and a little bit of pratting about a tthe end game (19 hours i think), I agree.

I used to love these kinds of games (PSO being my fondest memories). But these games are all about the chase of loot. That loot lets you do harder stuff to get more loot and repeat.

I have played more of Destiny 2 than 1 because they made it easier to do. But I am left wondering why they did this. After just 40 hours (which is nothing for this kind of game, i have well over 150 in diablo 3) I am lvl 286 and have never done a nightfall or the raid.

I have a friend who is playing and is new to these kind of games. He will say "hay you wanna do a nightfall"
me "not really, dont have time"
him "but we can see what loot we get"
me "not really worth it I can already do any part of the game as it is if I want, higher lvl wont do anything"
him "but you can get to lvl 310?"

For me that means nothing. Why bother? there is no reason to other than the number is higher. Stuff isnt easier to kill as it all seems to scale with you. You never feel more powerful through the whole game once you have you skills unlocked. Its the strangest leveling system I have ever seen.

Also you are right in that nothing feels special. I have tons of exotics already. I have all the stuff I want so all I am doing is feeding powerful gear quest rewards into my current gear.

Last night I spend about 50 mins getting this weeks Caide pwerful gear quest, handed it in and just thought to my self 'I think im done'. There is no reason to do this.

What they have done is make a loot game that is perfectly accesable to people like me who dont really have time (or the drive) anymore to play this type of game. But in doing so they take away all that makes those games appealing.

Its a very strange thing they have made.

Dont get me wrong I have enjoyed most my time playing it and it was worth the money I paid. I just find the whole thing a bit confusing when regarding its design choices.

Which I personally feel was a mistake. Reseting everything instead of snowballing the original Destiny.

From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense.

7c33540d.gif

Pooya

I'm just waiting for year 1 release now to get the game. PC delay really helped in the end. Between the terrible pvp, overpriced expansions and all these late game complaints that are popping up, it seems for the best. In the end what kills the game for me is the no fun allowed pvp, that's what I was looking forward the most so it's easy pass now. I really hated how vanilla D1 turned out but I still stayed and played the game for a while on the back of casual but fun multiplayer. The best thing about Destiny was how good everything felt mechanically and pvp was really fun because of it. I got tired of grinding same bullet sponge bosses after 2 months.

Top Bottom