• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 x Ghostbusters Crossover coming on March 19, 2024

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

fatmarco

You get the feeling that when analysing the collapse of the modern day gaming industry, one significant thing historians will point to is the fact that large games had to become advertising platforms for 3rd party sponsors to maintain their publishers' (expected) profits, rather than staying true to a cohesive creative vision of the game developer.

Fortnite and its consequences.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Bungie is in that “we aren’t getting new players so let’s milk this thing” phase I think. I can’t stand the new hoverboards either, the game has lost any semblance of seriousness it once had.
I have my criticisms of Destiny but how was adding hoverboards taking away from its apparent seriousness? Was the game ever really serious to begin with? Hoverboards were also used in the last expansion so they fit within the universe, whatever that is at this point.

Also Sony owns Ghostbusters so it makes sense that they now own Bungie they might want to take advantage of some of their other properties. Obviously it's dumb and its only goal is make money but it is what it is.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

How is Destiny 2 these days? (SteamDB says ~40k players.)
Last I heard the fan-base wasn't too happy with the current state of the game. (I stopped playing it just before Lightfall was released. I enjoy the shooting mechanics and the moment-to-moment gameplay but it's a cluster-fuck figuring out the quest system.)
Has Destiny 3 been confirmed?

Shubh_C63

Following mediocre month(s) with no content and worse Destiny 2 player count in history where WARFRAME had twice as many players than D2 for over 2 months,
Do you see that bump ?

That bump is the news of Hoverboards releasing in the game. So this cosmetic shit clearly works.
Bungie can't do 3 season armors because "too much work" (their words not mine) and then release back to back collaborations and exclusive emotes/armors only purchasable in their Store.
Screenshot-2024-03-11-220724.png

MonkD

You get the feeling that when analysing the collapse of the modern day gaming industry, one significant thing historians will point to is the fact that large games had to become advertising platforms for 3rd party sponsors to maintain their publishers' (expected) profits, rather than staying true to a cohesive creative vision of the game developer.

Can't blame Fortnite for its success. Rather everyone else who imagined they could get a piece of the pie. Might as well blame Smash for the proof of concept.

SCB3

How is Destiny 2 these days? (SteamDB says ~40k players.)
Last I heard the fan-base wasn't too happy with the current state of the game. (I stopped playing it just before Lightfall was released. I enjoy the shooting mechanics and the moment-to-moment gameplay but it's a cluster-fuck figuring out the quest system.)
Has Destiny 3 been confirmed?
Lightfall was a bit of a bust in general and its theming didn't suit the game and the general lack of new thigs to do was not there, the seasons kinda helped over time but you can feel the game is barrelling towards its end at this point

DeaDPo0L84

Following mediocre month(s) with no content and worse Destiny 2 player count in history where WARFRAME had twice as many players than D2 for over 2 months,
Do you see that bump ?

That bump is the news of Hoverboards releasing in the game. So this cosmetic shit clearly works.
Bungie can't do 3 season armors because "too much work" (their words not mine) and then release back to back collaborations and exclusive emotes/armors only purchasable in their Store.
Screenshot-2024-03-11-220724.png
The hoverboards aren't just a cosmetic addition though, they actually impact gameplay. As someone with quite a bit of time in the game I am familiar with certain paths you'd be required to take in strikes and open world areas. The hoverboard changes a lot of this up in a fun way to at a minimum make it feel different. You can legit skip pretty decent size chunks of space by simply gaining height and grinding.

Nevadatan

While i love zany campy stuff like this, i honestly think the game has more pressing issues needed to be addressed first before start adding content like this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I would have bought something, to bad still banned…. Way to go bungie

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Sad right? I hate it. Even if I think some of them are good ideas. It just feels like it's the bean counter's decision to do this stuff.

Nydius

The Mass Effect crossover at least made SOME thematic sense. This is just milking what few whales are left with out of control nostalgia bait. Indicative of a game struggling to retain interest and with no real direction for the future.

A shame. For all its foibles, I still go back and play the complete Destiny 1 package from time to time. Destiny 2 is a lost cause.

Bry0

I have my criticisms of Destiny but how was adding hoverboards taking away from its apparent seriousness? Was the game ever really serious to begin with? Hoverboards were also used in the last expansion so they fit within the universe, whatever that is at this point.

Also Sony owns Ghostbusters so it makes sense that they now own Bungie they might want to take advantage of some of their other properties. Obviously it's dumb and its only goal is make money but it is what it is.
It’s been a gradual change since destiny 2 launched I think, and it was already apparent in lightfall that they were shifting to this corny marvel vibe for the franchise and art direction. I’m not saying we’ve hit the wall all of a sudden, it’s been going this way for years.

Darchaos

Thx pingo for selling out and massacre Destiny beyond recognition. But the gamingworld is this now so not surprised. Cater to bluehairs and streamers that walks over corpses to earn a dollar and sellout theire integrity and soul.

Top Bottom