• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Animated Series reportedly scrapped in Bungie-Netflix Partnership pre-Sony Buyout.

Draugoth

Gold Member
destiny-animated-series-scrapped-netflix-bungie-2-860x484.webp

"This is according to Forbes’ Paul Tassi, who posted a new video on his YouTube channel, discussing whether a Destiny TV project might still be in development. According to Tassi, it seems Bungie was once working on a Destiny animated series in partnership with Netflix prior to Sony’s $3.6 billion acquisition of the company in early 2022*."*

"However, it appears that despite progress made in the early stages, the project failed to materialize beyond the scripting phase."

"I heard a long time ago that there was a Destiny Netflix show being tossed around, like an animated one,” said Tassi in the YouTube video. “But, ultimately it just didn’t really come together."

“I’m not sure how far it got, I think it was in [the] scripting phase or something. This was a long time ago. I think it was before the Sony acquisition, I’m pretty sure.”

More information on the article. Would you have watched a Destiny Animated Show? 100% honest.

Fbh

A cool show where the dev and animation studio are a co producers and Netflix is basically just the distributor? (like Edgerunners and Arcane)
Or one of the shitty ones where Netflix is more involved and they turn out badly written and with ugly 3D animation?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This is a good thing. Destiny doesn't have a real story, it's just a bunch of shit to keep people buying new content packs
It's in a weird space right now, but the game absolutely has a story. It has multiple, in fact, that would make for interesting limited series.
  • Traveller arriving in our solar system and starting terraforming a bunch of planets. Golden Age starts, everyone thinks it's the best thing ever.
    • In that alone there's dozens of events that would make compelling 5-6 episode series. And that's almost starting in the middle.
      • Launch of a shady biotech company
        • Creating the Exo's
        • Development of an overprotective AI
        • Exploring Venus and finding traces of the Vex
        • Failure and mystery around trying to establish the first space colony
        • etc
And this is all before you get to all the Fallen/Hive/Light vs Darkness stuff.

I get why you would think that though. The majority of Destiny's story in the first game was told in "grimoires" that lived outside of the game. You only got snippets of it before and after missions. And Destiny spent most of its life on the back foot after a shitty start.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
100% we're getting some kind of BS show or movie based around Destiny or Marathon. Sony basically said as much during the Bungie purchase.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
100% we're getting some kind of BS show or movie based around Destiny or Marathon. Sony basically said as much during the Bungie purchase.
Yeah, my guess is they cancelled whatever deal Bungie had with Netflix so they could bring production in house and auction it to the highest streaming bidder.

nial

Gold Member
Yeah, my guess is they cancelled whatever deal Bungie had with Netflix so they could bring production in house and auction it to the highest streaming bidder.
Yep, SIE would want PlayStation Productions to be involved in this, in collaboration with Sony Pictures.

Last edited:
Top Bottom