• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny may require co-op play for end-game activities (Story can be completed solo)

Zakalwe

Banned
Expected.
Disappointed.
I hope they at least compromise for players who prefer to play alone.
When I play a game I prefer to play alone, not wait for friends to go online so I can play with them.

At least I can play through the rest of the game just fine by myself.

This has always been billed as a co-op game with the option to solo some content, so I'm not sure why anyone would be disapointed in the inclusion of co-op only optional end game missions.

There's been a lot of focus on the seamless integration of the co-op, so I very much doubt you'll have to wait for friends. It'll very likely have some kind of matchmaking that'll allow you to take on the co-op missions without worry.

NomadFH

Neo Member
I have nothing against playing with others, but I work and have a family so I game at odd hours. So, Waaah.

The same boat I'm in. I usually game on console when I have those small gaps in time where no one is asking me to do something and I have control over a TV. Having to coordinate co op with someone or having to randomly match up with someone who may or may not be a dick, or might have his own agenda for the game, is annoying. But I don't want to imply disapproval or I might be one of dem fuckin whiners.

Robin64

As long as by "friends" they also mean "other random people online wanting to do the same thing" then there's no problem here. This is what I expected from the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Wouldn't expect any less from a MMO and it's not even a problem if it's designed well. I have so many great memories of raids in WoW and its first 2 expansions.

cluderi

Yep, so long as its designed so I can rock up and participate without fully organized co-op with actual friends I'll give it a shot. It's either that or put a "LFG Robot Deathmines of G'fart - rargh imba spec warlock pst" button.

i'm assuming those are the class, spec and dungeon names.

yuraya

Can't Fucking wait. Any word in how many people per server? Is it an mmo or? I need more info on this game.

Its not a fully blown mmo. Its more of a co-op instanced rpg game. Think of games where a player can go solo the entire game or have the option of teaming up with friends in certain locations of the game.

I believe Star Citizen and The Division have a similar concept. Not sure tho. Need more info.

Syril

Its not a fully blown mmo. Its more of a co-op instanced rpg game. Think of games where a player can go solo the entire game or have the option of teaming up with friends in certain locations of the game.

I believe Star Citizen and The Division have a similar concept. Not sure tho. Need more info.

Sounds kind of like Guild Wars 1 actually.

Raxious

Wait, people are surprised that a game which main focus is on an online co-op aspect and that requires an internet connection to start in the first place has something like this?

broony

For people who are upset by this; the campaign can be completed fine solo. This is referring to big raids that start appearing after the campaign is finished. You can still play through all the story content by yourself if you really want to.

And this is why I was never interested in Destiny, not that I hate co-op or online gameplay but I prefer single player. Like Diablo 3 it's okay (sadly) if you want the game to be always online for single or multi, but give me the option to 100% the game solo.

RaikuHebi

Banned
notlikethis.gif

as long as it has good matchmaking system for 'raids', it should be fine, but not having it able to scale for sp is a bit worrying.

just imagine a year from now when there aren't people around doing this quest anymore, what then?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For people who are upset by this; the campaign can be completed fine solo. This is referring to big raids that start appearing after the campaign is finished. You can still play through all the story content by yourself if you really want to.

Good, that's what I hoped. I don't think anyone that sinks enough time into this game to be tackling missions like this will have an issue finding people to play with.

Lexxon

I'm mostly looking forward to Destiny as a Borderlands/MMO style shooter, so this is fine for me. Having the campaign soloable is a great perk though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
How is this even relevant? Destiny isn't multiplayer only. The game has a full solo campaign and people are still whining.

Clearly, the only person who was whining was inside your mind. If the idea of prospective consumers of a title discussing their disinterest in an appropriate thread is so appalling as to cause such a vitriolic preemptive post; It may behoove you, other posters, and lurkers if you ignored reading or at the very least, posting on such topics.

Ah, almost forgot, personal curiosity. Due to your apparent hate toward potential customers who anticipate the single player aspect voicing disappointment, I was curious as to your purchasing habits of games that did not feature multiplayer.

Either way yeah. If a game doesn't appeal to me I don't buy it.

So that's something we have in common.

I don't complain about madden cause it doesn't have enough dragons in it.

You know, I was taking the piss out of xValentine for their idiotic post. But, in your case, if this isn't sarcasm you need some remedial courses in constructing analogies.

Seriously, i just have absolutely 0 interest in MP in 99% of games of this is one of them. I would rather play it solo.

I think we may have violated UGP § 7019 of the console video game bylaws.

2San

just imagine a year from now when there aren't people around doing this quest anymore, what then?
Then don't do the quest. There are plenty of SP games with MP maps where you can't play those maps anymore either(a lot of games don't have bots these days). If you as a SP gamer don't think the SP content is worth your money, don't buy it.

bidguy

Banned
man dont force this crap on me
they said its fine and you can play solo but now i HAVE to play coop

latest info about this game is really worrisome

That never works well, 3 months after release it'll be impossible for new players to complete them as everyone will have moved on, either in game or elsewhere.

MaDKaT

Hmmm.... Destiny may not be a game for me. Nothing against co-op, Halo was always more fun for me with a buddy(couch co-op) in the campaign. Will just have to read up on more details to see how robust the solo campaign is and hope for a local co-op option.

I'm pretty sure someone will find a way to make it past via single player. Unless it's a situation where you need to be in two different places at the same time to open a door (i.e. standing on two different buttons 20 feet apart to open a door)

Somnid

Next-gen is such a disappointment. Destiny was one of the few games that looked interesting (despite being a shooter) and they really seem to be hammering home the forced multiplayer. This is completely unnecessary, even if it was an MMO it's still unnecessary, that's not an excuse. Any game should work offline, why are we putting up with this?

Woorloog

Banned
The game's trailers make it look like shit and now they tell this? Ugh.
The way Bungie describes the game and the game world makes it sound great but... eh.
If the game will offer split-screen and/or i don't need more than one friend (well, perhaps 2-3) to work through end-game content, i don't mind it. Any more, and i'm out. There is one thing i hate in MMOs and it is raiding, even more so than battleground-type PVP.

NHale

This to me seems like Bungie wants to do an online-only game but marketing/publisher knows they will not sell enough copies if they ignore those that want to play it solo.

I worry that this will end up suffering from that indecision because design decisions will end up in the middle between single and multiplayer.

However Bungie needs to decide, don't say it can be played solo and then make it a requirement to have friends to reach the end game. Nobody has a problem with developers making online-only games (don't like it...don't buy it) but everyone has the right to be pissed when a developer say one thing and then does another.

Jito

Banned
Multiplayer in an MMO? How does that work?!

But really if people are going to complain about it, then don't buy it. Not every game needs to be catered to your needs. I'm looking forward to a decent MMO FPS as there aren't any.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I dont think they are implying you need friends to play, just the end game is an "event" as shown at E3

While you can avoid other events, you can't avoid the end game event if you want to finish the game

Don't really mind this though.

Has the said, aye, or yay, on splitscreen yet?
Yeah, I've said it 100 times but this is what will make or break the game for me: I'm not much for online coop but I love couch coop.
I really hope it's like Borderlands in that regard (minus the non scaling UI) and not essentially just an MMO.

Well, it sounds like you'll still be able to solo the main storyline based on the comments but some "end game activities" will require multiplayer. Hopefully that does mean it is optional end game content. I would have expected various elements and mission types to require multiplayer, so I guess that isn't surprising. Still, it would be nice to know it was wholly unnecessary if you so chose to play single player only.

2San

Next-gen is such a disappointment. Destiny was one of the few games that looked interesting (despite being a shooter) and they really seem to be hammering home the forced multiplayer. This is completely unnecessary, even if it was an MMO it's still unnecessary, that's not an excuse. Any game should work offline, why are we putting up with this?
Because some people really like co-op/mp games. Having challenging encounters that aren't solo-able excites me. I don't believe that Bungie should waste their time to balance every encounter to fit the demands and needs of every single person out there. Different games cater to different people. It's not like there is a lack of singleplayer games either.

Jarate

Banned
Good, this is fine with me

Just go and find some buddies on GAF if you are really desperate to do endgame

This is the same type of "forced multiplayer" thats in every MMO. Why are you getting the game if you dont want to play with people. All of the media and everything shown has been talking about how this is going to be essentially an MMO.

How many of you guys would be complaining if they said, "There are special co-op dungeons for everyone after you complete the game!" Cause thats essentially all it is

Casimir said:
. If the idea of prospective consumers of a title discussing their disinterest .
Wait how are you a prospective customer of something that doesn't interest you?

What exactly is the problem here? There is still a full solo campaign!?

Top Bottom