• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Playstation's 'Project Cronos' Cloud Streaming for PS5

Mr.Phoenix

Does any of that make any sense? I’m reading it and don’t see how the ssd speed is the thing that causes the issue…
I am heavy on NAS servers.. and what I will say is, do you know of any storage server that gives you bandwidth in excess of 5GB/s (40Gb/s) with es than 1ms latency? And such that it could support thousands of instances simultaneously? Typically, to get my server speed up, we would be using NVMe SSDs to cache the HDDs. And there aren't any fully developed SSD-based servers aren't that popular because no one really needs it.

I have been saying this for a minute now, this is what Project Q is about. At no point in any way did sony ever say project q was for local remote play only. Not once. That was a narrative started by obtuse media heads that lacked half a brain. I find it strange that there are people who actually believe Sony would make a whole new device whose sole purpose is to allow you play your PS5 from another room in your house.

Project Q is a remote pay device, that remote can be your house or a Playstation server somewhere.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I appreciate it being of value to you, and others in that situation. However the 98% of gamer currently they don't see the value in it.

Stadia failed because people didn't see value in it even with supply chain issues limiting the hardware you could buy. If cloud gaming wasn't a value add to Gamepass ultimate would you pay for it separately?
Stadia failed because it didn’t offer alot of good games. Look at GeForce now as it’s very successful and growing! If Xbox cloud had 1440p/4k it would be a major game changer

Roxkis_ii

Initially I was apprehensive against Cloud streaming games, but that Stadia Resident Evil 4 browser demo was pretty good and I didn't find the lag noticeable

Mr.Phoenix

Wait, so everyone is after the cloud...and sonys been working on it for 5 years...

WTF! erm, that's cool I guess but I guess they need to work on how they get people to use this service.
Assuming the Projet Q is a $199 handheld/controller.

Think of this service + Project Q as a $200 handheld PS5 that only works if you have an internet connection and a PS+ extra account minimum. There would be people that could just buy this device, buy games digitally and pay for those games through this, and never even own a PS5 home console.

And those that own a console, would not need a PS+ account to access their games remotely.

Mephisto40

Wait, so everyone is after the cloud...and sonys been working on it for 5 years...

WTF! erm, that's cool I guess but I guess they need to work on how they get people to use this service.
They wait for ISP's to make their connections more reliable, that's literally the only thing holding cloud gaming back at this point, the fact that a huge amount of people don't have internet good enough to use it properly

Ozrimandias

More than 10 years ago, Sony presented PS Now, it's streaming service that allows you to play your favorites games from ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 on your tv, ps vita and ps console......10 years ago.

With almost ZERO progress.

vivftp

Didn’t they only launch their Gamepass style library recently though?

No. PS Now had a library of games for several years

Back in mid 2017 they had 500 games to stream. Then a year later they added the ability to download PS4 games

What you're referring to was the rebranding of the service with a Plus and Now merging into other tiers we now have that occurred last year. Even before all of that, Sony had been doing stuff like this for many years with the Instant Game Collection on Plus

Where we're at now is a natural evolution of what they've been doing for over a decade.

vivftp

More than 10 years ago, Sony presented PS Now, it's streaming service that allows you to play your favorites games from ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 on your tv, ps vita and ps console......10 years ago.

With almost ZERO progress.

For the first 3 or 4 years Sony as a whole was still pulling themselves out of a financial hole, so it makes sense that they had to cut back on certain ambitions. So PS Nows plan to be on all those devices had to wait and support for some devices like Vita and TVs was taken away. The service was mostly in a holding pattern for years with small growth here and there.

Then more recently any plans they would have had to move to PS5 hardware in the cloud would have been impossible because all components had to be diverted to console production. It's only been several months since production issues were sorted. Now that's dealt with and Sony is in a strong financial/market position, it's not unreasonable to think that we may see them pick up where they left off with those PS Now ambitions for expansion to more devices and countries.

We know from Jim Ryans statement that an aggressive cloud push is coming. It'll be interesting to see what they've got cooking. I'm guessing the reveal is next month

Neilg

Project Q is a remote pay device, that remote can be your house or a Playstation server somewhere.

Yeah.
It's a good media strategy - announce the hardware, let it settle with people, let them talk shit. Then as it gets closer to launch, push the streaming angle/content and the hard sales pitch of why you actually want one.
The ps5 had its first reveal as pure hardware, no software was shown until later. They don't want hardware conversations happening at the same time as the content, it muddies things up.

Last edited:

DrFigs

people are just making very strong assumptions about what the Q can do and how much it costs. Sony has said very little about it. And until like a few weeks ago, we didn't even know it was using Android.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I just don’t understand why companies are putting so much money into these cloud streaming services that are nowhere near as good as native gaming and probably won’t be for years to come.

Cloud gaming on the go is dog shit and barely works. I’ve tried multiple times with Xbox Game Pass and it’s just bad on the move. If you’re at home, you’re much better off streaming via your home network to an iPad or your phone. It’s not perfect but it’s a bit better than cloud gaming and the input latency is somewhat bareable.

All of this is taking into account you have fibre broadband directly to your home and not through some exchange (FTTP), which in the UK is available in only certain areas. If you have the old copper cable or satellite broadband, forget it, it’s bad. The infrastructure just isn’t there for this kind of thing and only really works for music and video streaming.
Because you have to start somewhere! You have learn and gather data, adjust and that stuff takes years to develop and get going. If you just wait for 10 years you’re kinda behind the ball before you begin

Also I have friends who got into gaming because of GeForce now and don’t own any gaming hardware. They have found plenty of games that are somewhat slower paced and can’t tell the difference! This is the market for cloud gaming at this point in time.

Just because you find it bad doesn’t make the idea bad. I’d personally use it for a lot of games even Fps 1440p/120 fps and have zero issues with it but I’m in a good location I suppose.

Last edited:

ergem

It looks like the PS6 will not have much improvements to its SSD’s speed considering it took Sony this much to replicate PS5’s SSD into a cloud server.

I can imagine the PS6 architecture will have the cloud gaming in mind.

ergem

I am heavy on NAS servers.. and what I will say is, do you know of any storage server that gives you bandwidth in excess of 5GB/s (40Gb/s) with es than 1ms latency? And such that it could support thousands of instances simultaneously? Typically, to get my server speed up, we would be using NVMe SSDs to cache the HDDs. And there aren't any fully developed SSD-based servers aren't that popular because no one really needs it.

I have been saying this for a minute now, this is what Project Q is about. At no point in any way did sony ever say project q was for local remote play only. Not once. That was a narrative started by obtuse media heads that lacked half a brain. I find it strange that there are people who actually believe Sony would make a whole new device whose sole purpose is to allow you play your PS5 from another room in your house.

If it took this much for Sony to replicate the PS5 SSD speed in a cloud server, do you think Cerny would still develop a crazy fast SSD speed for PS6 or just keep it as is?

I suppose it would pose a lot of problem again if the PS6’s SSD is cutting edge.

What makes it hard to replicate?

Mr.Phoenix

If it took this much for Sony to replicate the PS5 SSD speed in a cloud server, do you think Cerny would still develop a crazy fast SSD speed for PS6 or just keep it as is?

I suppose it would pose a lot of problem again if the PS6’s SSD is cutting edge.

What makes it hard to replicate?
I am sure whatever server they cooked up would be forward-thinking enough to allow them to future-proof it.

Besides, Storage has had its day, no matter how much better the SSD in the PS6 is, it won't be anything better than a 2-3x boost over the PS5 SSD. Unlike the 50x boost, the PS5 SSD was over the PS4 HDD.

The thing is... beyond a certain point... we may not even need faster.

Ozriel

M$FT
I just don’t understand why companies are putting so much money into these cloud streaming services that are nowhere near as good as native gaming and probably won’t be for years to come.

Cloud gaming on the go is dog shit and barely works. I’ve tried multiple times with Xbox Game Pass and it’s just bad on the move. If you’re at home, you’re much better off streaming via your home network to an iPad or your phone. It’s not perfect but it’s a bit better than cloud gaming and the input latency is somewhat bareable.

All of this is taking into account you have fibre broadband directly to your home and not through some exchange (FTTP), which in the UK is available in only certain areas. If you have the old copper cable or satellite broadband, forget it, it’s bad. The infrastructure just isn’t there for this kind of thing and only really works for music and video streaming.

Well, good luck with carrying your PS5 around with you in your pocket. Or lugging it around anytime you travel.
Cloud gaming gives you a solid option to play your games on the go. It’s not going to be as good as ‘native’, but infinitely better than having nothing to play at all.

“The infrastructure just isn’t there” is such a weird thing for any adult to say, especially one that watched the evolution of stuff like mobile telephones and the internet. Stuff improves, if there’s a market for it. That’s what technology is all about.

ergem

I am sure whatever server they cooked up would be forward-thinking enough to allow them to future-proof it.

Besides, Storage has had its day, no matter how much better the SSD in the PS6 is, it won't be anything better than a 2-3x boost over the PS5 SSD. Unlike the 50x boost, the PS5 SSD was over the PS4 HDD.

Cerny’s goal with the cold storage speed is the possibility of loading assets as fast as a character make a 180 degree turn. I don’t think PS5 is there yet.

I’m seeing Cerny might abandon some plans for PS6 in consideration of cloud gaming servers.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I can imagine the PS6 architecture will have the cloud gaming in mind.
Among others things. Gran Turismo was made with VR in mind. In that sense maybe some compromises have been made that would not have been made if the game was not planned for PS VR 2 since the start. But I don't see people complaining. I hope that it will be the same for the PS6. Not a expert at all, but if the PS4 was easy and approchable to not have the PS3 problems and the PS5 SSD was a demand from the devs I hope that the PS will push RAM, and probably Raytracing too. Having the best SSD possible for the PS6 will probably not bet as useful this time.

vivftp

Screw that. I need Sony to finally get their RERAM production up and running (maybe in the new Japan TSMC plant Sony are co-building). Use that as the storage in the PS6 so we can get raw read speeds 10x faster than what the PS5 is capable of.

Last edited:

vivftp

ok, it was a separate service. PS Now isn’t available in Australia for some inexplicable reason

PS Now was available in about 19 countries. We have leaks that they planned to expand to more countries but the pandemic scrapped those plans. With the merger of the services under PS Plus and the move to PS5 server blades, it's likely we will see further expansion.

PS Now required streaming infrastructure to be in place, which was a massive limiting factor in how many regions it could be in. That's why the current tiers exist, Plus Extra and Deluxe can exist in countries without streaming infrastructure in place yet, while the Premium service continues to grow.

PS Now was available in about 19 countries. We have leaks that they planned to expand to more countries but the pandemic scrapped those plans. With the merger of the services under PS Plus and the move to PS5 server blades, it's likely we will see further expansion.

PS Now required streaming infrastructure to be in place, which was a massive limiting factor in how many regions it could be in. That's why the current tiers exist, Plus Extra and Deluxe can exist in countries without streaming infrastructure in place yet, while the Premium service continues to grow.
So I go back to my original statement, it would be cool if I could use this to stream PS+ games before I download them like I can on GP 😂

Mr.Phoenix

Cerny’s goal with the cold storage speed is the possibility of loading assets as fast as a character make a 180 degree turn. I don’t think PS5 is there yet.

I’m seeing Cerny might abandon some plans for PS6 in consideration of cloud gaming servers.
On the contrary, the PS5 is there. Its just not a practical or easy way to make games. What you are talking about is streaming assets. And the PS5 SSD can stream assets to the tune of at least 3GB/s+ (after factoring in pipeline latency). Thats enough. As balls out as R&C was, its data streaming load was still under 2GB/s. The limitation at this point is not the SSD.
Screw that. I need Sony to finally get their RERAM production up and running (maybe in the new Japan TSMC plant Sony are co-building). Use that as the storage in the PS6 so we can get raw read speeds 10x faster than what the PS5 is capable of.
Haha...I feel you. I fear that project would never see the light of day though. Just no need. RERAM base spec was for around 25GB/s reads and around 10GB/s write over 5 PCIE lanes. PCIE5 SSDs can hit around 13GB/s reads and 10GB/s writes over 4 lanes. The benefits of of RERAM aren't worth making some new format. Probably why they ditched it and went with normal SSD n the PS5.

Top Bottom