• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

GravyButt

Just starting to get into it today. What are the most important upgrades, especially at first? Im more of a guns a try sneaking kills but when that quickly fails I put lead to skulls kinda guy. Oh and I don't understand hacking haha.

Is the social interaction upgrade or what ever it's called worth it?

not really IMO because there's basically only major 1 conversation duel, and it's not even that important. you can win it without the aug if you just use advice you picked up around town (that he's arrogant but also a bit vulnerable) but it would probably take a couple tries. but even if you fail it, i think you can still just break into his vault anyhow... there's a window you can access from outside that also gives entry to his back office, and you can probably just hack his vault.

there's a few other small places you use the aug (couple of them only have a single interjection response) but they're really pretty minor... it's nothing like DX HR sadly where there were a number of conversation duels that had pretty important results (e.g. the Sarif one which you cannot get any other IIRC).

as for augs... invisibility camo and the Smart Vision are huge for stealth... for combat, probably the armor and health to begin with because without them Adam is kinda a glass cannon... even on medium difficulty you die pretty fast again later enemies, like barely a few seconds sometimes. i don't think quiet walking is important if you have invisibility but if you were doing non-invisibility stealth then you'd probably want it because you have much less of a window of opportunity so the extra speed is useful.

energy battery boosts were really big for me in stealth because i was basically always low on energy from always using Smart Vision, but I have to add that I play the game mostly HUD -less.... so the 'interactive item' highlight is turned off.. so I use Smart Vision often to double check rooms to make sure I got everything. if you play with the full HUD, maybe a stealth build really doesn't need as much battery as I did because I turned off that part of the HUD.

telsa kinda sucks imo... the pathfinding for it is horrible... half the time i try use it it, at least one of them get stuck on a barrier or something. situationally it's awesome when you got really open LOS but it's so rare that i didn't get to use it much and often i just decided to get up closer and do a double takedown and then quickly stun gun the third target if need be. when you set up that perfect 4 person takedown it is pretty cool but i genuinely rarely used it... and probably the last two times i tried to use it, it kept missing (even when i reloaded and tried over and over) because the enemies were standing on a bridge... and because the tesla bolts kinda twirl.... they don't shoot straight but they twirl and arc around, one always seems to get caught on the waist level bridge or a wall edge.

it feels like something designed by the art team (woah this twirl looks cool) but was never tested for practically lol (which is how most of Adam 2.0 feels... kinda dislike how flashy superman most of the augs are, but that's a different topic).

heavy lifting is huge... if you explore, get both heavy lifting and hacking 5. you won't really enjoy heavy exploration if you can't heavy lift and hack, and also break down walls, because so many cool little things are hidden behind them. gas breathing is the least important for those, i felt it was the least common barrier. still enough to justify it but i didn't personally get it.

then... Icarus Dash is also kinda nice for stealth because i used it a lot to access bridges or ledges, and bypass enemies... enter apartments, etc. but it's loud and it can alert enemies, so it's more for exploration or pre/post- enemy infiltration (e.g. after you stealth past enemies and you're hidden in a corner, it's safe to use) but not really useful to use while actually stealthing near enemies. it's not super loud but it did alert enemies (based on noise, not the vision detection meter) a few times for me.

if you do aggressive combat though, i'd probably bypass a lot of these and just make sure you get a lot of defense upgrades and probably that slow motion reflex mode or whatever. you could probably take less hacking too cuz if you kill everyone, it's a lot easier to find keycodes from lower security devices haha.

Just starting to get into it today. What are the most important upgrades, especially at first? Im more of a guns a try sneaking kills but when that quickly fails I put lead to skulls kinda guy. Oh and I don't understand hacking haha.

Is the social interaction upgrade or what ever it's called worth it?

Increased jump height.
Heavy lifting or whatever its called to move heavy objects(the game is littered with secrets areas behind vending machines, printers,etc.)
Level 3 or 4 hacking along with an upgrade in stealth hacking and fortification hacking(assuming you plan on giving hacking an honest shot). Quick rundown: When you start the hacking mini-game,your main objective is to reach the green node. The other files/modules all have a level attached to them, the lower the level, the better chance you have of not activating the alarm timer(this is where stealth hacking upgrade comes in, it lowers your detection rate). You can also 'fortify' nodes after capturing them, which also has a detection percentage, the more nodes you fortify, the more time you have when the alarm timer kicks in. So a general strategy when you start is to: capture the lowest level nodes next to you( for minimal chance of detection), fortify the low level nodes, then just start expanding and fortifying as you work your way to the green node.

There are also 'data caches' on the grid which are side-goals. If you can hack the data caches before the green node, you can get xp rewards or physical items. Once you have a few upgrades in hacking, it becomes pretty trivial. Spamming capture with upgraded fortification gives you plllennty of time to do your thing. I also highly recommend using the keyboard shortcuts to capture(c) and fortify(f), you can swiftly take the grid.

yeah get the stealth and fortify upgrades... i never for a long time, and i still managed to get by and hack most Level 5 computers, but it often took a few tries and i had to burn through software. the upgrades to stealth and fortify make a huuuuge difference.

in general i'd upgrade all of them rather iteratively... start with maybe level 3 and no stealth/fortify, and focus on other things until you feel you're beginning to have too much trouble hacking (or missing out on too many lv4-5 terminals), and then slowly making upgrade to lv4 with lv1 stealth/fortify, and once you begin to fail too often again get the rest.

if you're just failing rarely, just use a multi-tool... i finished the game with 10 extra, so you can use them once and a while and not worry you're going to run out. don't upgrade fully until you feel like you're hitting too many trouble barriers AND can't afford to spare more multi-tools.

i ended up with maxed out hacking but i think i was lv5 with no stealth/fortify until halfway through the game and then just lv1 each upgrade until maybe the last 25% once i had most of the other augs i felt were critical.

Zakalwe

Banned
I loved Human Revolution, played it through multiple times. Really enjoyed everything about it, the main let down being the fall off in area density in the latter part of the game.

MD looked set to remedy that, but I just lost interest about 4 hours in. The main story seems utterly forgettable, the characters are all bland as hell, the writing seems to have taken a nosedive, and not enough's changed to justify another full outing with these systems.

I thought I wanted more of the same, but it seems I don't...

Anyone else have this problem initially then found they got sucked in later on? If so, at which point did it click for you?

Moff

I think the game gets a lot better over time, but that may have been because I spent the first 10 hours exploring prague with few abilities.

Top Bottom