• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Taker34

Banned
This is already my GOTY, the difficulty settings are called normal, hard and "I Never Asked for This". Didn't even finish the tutorial section and it looks very solid overall. It's Human Revolution 2 basically.

Tovarisc

I don't really follow Lirik so I don't know if this is just his schtick, but his playstyle is really... not great? He's rushing from story mission to story mission and he doesn't seem interested at all, and that's kinda turning me off from watching the stream... even though I want to see some sweet PC footage.

Just how he plays games like this, he rushes main story and thats it.

deoee

Just how he plays games like this, he rushes main story and thats it.

At least it shows how the game plays out the way I never ever will play it.

Still, Lirik is a wasted opportunity for this game IMO, totally the wrong guy for anything with deeper and more complex systems.

nOoblet16

I hope they made it like Fallout 4 with a controller where if you open the menu, first option is quick save, select it and you're immediately put back into the game. Save/loads sometimes get tedious with controller especially when they keep prompting you to confirm creating a new save, waiting a few seconds for it to actually save, etc.
It's exactly like that, the first option isn't save but resume but the 2nd one is save you go there and first option is create new save and 2nd is to overwrite last save once you do that you can unpaid and it'll let you continue. So you can basically pause, go down one option and press X twice to save and leave immediately.

The game also autosaves frequently and you can reload last save as well as the second last save.

Tovarisc

That just seems incredibly boring to watch, especially for a game like Deus Ex with all the environmental world building.

For variety streamers like him it's important that audience come to watch him for his personality, not mainly for the game he is streaming that day.

Tecnniqe

Banned
For variety streamers like him it's important that audience come to watch him for his personality, not mainly for the game he is streaming that day.

Looking at Cohh that seems to be the way to go.

He postponed playing DE:MD in favor of following his schedule and still have over 5k viewers.

Impressive if you ask me, usually most people flock to the "new" game.

Taker34

Banned
What difficulty did u choose?
Please don't judge me, but I chose the normal difficulty setting. It's been a while since I've played a Deus Ex game... even though playing in a stealthy way, already lowers the difficulty significantly, imo. Enemies might spot you earlier (which isn't too bad) but I assume that it's much harder to unlock certain dialogue options with more difficult settings. Messing up dialogue and certain decisions is something I also wanted to avoid on my first playthrough.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Later today. Jim said he wants to leave some space between review and Jimquisition release.
Oh, cool cool. I have found my views have been aligning with his lately so I am curious to see what he scores it. His impressions have been warm so far right?
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/767489009123663872

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/767497599473618944

"Deus Ex: Mankind Divided finished. Review tomorrow." - 22 hours ago.
"Mankind Divided was terrific but I agree with other critics that the end is abrupt. Feels like a set up for more games, definitely."

Should be up in the next few hours.
👍

Tovarisc

Oh, cool cool. I have found my views have been aligning with his lately. I'm curious to see what he scores it. His impressions have been warm so far right?

Yeah. He has praised the game in twitter and in few videos about unrelated games.

gfxtwin

To those who have played early somehow or watched lots of gameplay, does it seem to have more of a physics system this time around? One of the things I love about games like this (Bioshock, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Fallout, etc) is how every object in the world is interactive and has physics. Human Revolution surprised me with how pretty much only boxes and stuff like refrigerators and coke machines could be moved. Every once in a while an odd can, bottle , or random object could be picked up, but nothing like in Bioshock or Fallout or even the previous Deus Ex (Invisible War). Even shooting some things like cups and objects sitting on desks and counters couldn't be move them or even damage them. I was kinda shocked at how much of a step back it was regarding interactivity. Does DE:MD have more interactivity than HR? About the same? Less (lol)?

Taker34

Banned
To those who have played early somehow or watched lots of gameplay, does it seem to have more of a physics system this time around? One of the things I love about games like this (Bioshock, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Fallout, etc) is how every object in the world is interactive and has physics. Human Revolution surprised me with how pretty much only boxes and stuff like refrigerators and coke machines could be moved. Every once in a while an odd can, bottle , or random object could be picked up, but nothing like in Bioshock or Fallout or even the previous Deus Ex (Invisible War). Even shooting some things like cups and objects sitting on desks and counters couldn't be move them or even damage them. I was kinda shocked at how much of a step back it was regarding interactivity. Does DE:MD have more interactivity than HR? About the same? Less (lol)?

It's more or less the same like in HR... you can pick up certain objects like boxes or traffic cones but it's limited to the few highlighted ones. You can throw them around or use them to reach higher platforms. Dragging bodies, in order to hide them is also possible. Most objects are completely useless though and I guess that's ok. It doesn't need physics like in newer The Elder Scrolls games and you can still find a lot of hidden objects throughout the game. Like credit chips and other items behind some buckets etc.

Karak

I am pretty impressed with my hands on with all the versions now actually. As I think many of us thought. Good ports.

renzollo

Banned
Unfortunate timing for the late steam release - personally I'm still miffed by the No Man's Sky PC delay so I'm feeling a bit more irritated by the staggered PC release than I probably would normally. I don't care about not being able to play it at midnight tonight, but I definitely look forward to getting up early on release days to get a couple hours in before work. First world problems ofc, but still disappointed.

ibn Saïd;214626393 said:
and considering the fact dxhr was my #1 of last gen, i think i'm gonna enjoy the shit out of this.

Yeah, reading Jim's review was relieving, it sounds like aside from
a smaller story scope
, the game is a worthy successor. The wait for the next one will be tough though.. Let's hope they only take somewhere around 3.5 or 4 years for the next one, since they will hopefully just have to update the Dawn engine rather than make it out of the older Hitman engine as they made this game. Apparently balancing the engine development along with the rest of the game made development a little difficult, according to an AMA some of the devs did on Reddit.

Regginator

So.. we're all migrating to the OT or what? I can't take a look over there without fearing someone forgets to put up spoiler tags or whatever.

See y'all later!.... In two weeks, I'm avoiding all DXMD topics until I've played through all of it.

@Valkyri - I'm not quoting you because I don't want to read that tag, but surely the next one should already be in development by the time MD reached polishing phase... Especially considering that several critics are saying the ending is abrupt and that it sets up a sequel. Out of my ass I'd say anything more than 2018 would be too long.

Trojan

Any newer impressions of the PC performance? I read some initial takes that performance wasn't that great and I'm hoping some tweaks have happened since the review builds.

I preordered yesterday and am hyped! Huge Deus Ex fan and thought Human Revolution was a masterclass reboot.

From Kotaku:

In the original Deus Ex, that generally meant that you could either hack your way in, or access a hard-to-reach alternate route, or smooth-talk a guard, or sneak in and steal the keycode from someone’s desk, or some other creative option that wasn’t immediately apparent. You had to pick a couple of specializations from the outset and focus on them, which meant that some avenues of progression were locked off.

Mankind Divided is so eager to show off its toys that it almost immediately throws all that out the window. The two primary character builds that players have to choose from are basically “stealth” and “combat.” Like a good Deus Ex-er, I decided at the outset to focus on stealth, which meant that I didn’t need to pay attention to any of the skills related to damage absorption, reload speed or robo-armor.

The farther I got into the game, the less even that initial stealth/combat distinction seemed to count. I was soon able to earn enough upgrades to unlock the majority of my hacking, stealth, exploration and combat options. The game stopped being about building a specific character for a specific playstyle and became more about choosing which way I wanted to crush my adversaries this time.

Seems they haven't learned shit from their last game. What a disappointment.

From Kotaku:

Seems they haven't learned shit from their last game. What a disappointment.
The game stopped being about building a specific character for a specific playstyle and became more about choosing which way I wanted to crush my adversaries this time.
Is that a bad thing? I'm never going to replay this game, at least not the entire thing. Being able to choose my playstyle from a wide array of options rather than having to be locked into a specialization for a playthrough due to early choices and unlocks sounds so much better and more free-form

So.. we're all migrating to the OT or what? I can't take a look over there without fearing someone forgets to put up spoiler tags or whatever.

See y'all later!.... In two weeks, I'm avoiding all DXMD topics until I've played through all of it.

@Valkyri - I'm not quoting you because I don't want to read that tag, but surely the next one should already be in development by the time MD reached polishing phase... Especially considering that several critics are saying the ending is abrupt and that it sets up a sequel. Out of my ass I'd say anything more than 2018 would be too long.

That's a good thought, quoting someone does unfortunately reveal spoiler tags. I don't know anything reviews haven't told me, but it's good to be cautious.

I'm sorry to say, but your expected release date of 2018 is unrealistic, that'd be just about barely 2 years if they started now, and even COD teams get more time to cook their games nowadays. I would not bet on a sequel happening before 2019, a solid 3 years is a minimum for a game like this IMO. Anything less, even if there was perhaps some content cut and saved for a sequel (which I doubt), would still be too short of a development period to polish up that content/those concepts and add on to it well (while also making sure to improve upon MD).

I'm personally hoping for an early 2020 release (3.5 years), or one near the end of 2020 (so 4 years). It's painful to think we may go until the turn of the next decade (!) until we get the next entry, but that would be for the best IMO. Funny how after one more game after that, we'd almost be caught up to Human Revolution. That'll be much weirder than when MGS4 set up it's world in 2014 and we caught up to that, since Metal Gear's world has always had a little realism to it, and the game was only made 6 years from its setting. Catching up to HR is going to be much stranger.

TheYanger

Is that a bad thing? I'm never going to replay this game, at least not the entire thing. Being able to choose my playstyle from a wide array of options rather than having to be locked into a specialization for a playthrough due to early choices and unlocks sounds so much better and more free-form

Yes, it's a bad thing. Player choice doesn't mean anything if the 'consequences' of choice are nonexistent. If anything it's less freeform when you can do everything because there's no creativity, it's all being spoon fed (Hey, sneak in through the window, OR shoot the dude in the front, OR hack the lights and shut them off, and then also do the other ones if you want, no big deal).

The original Deus Ex gave you enough points to mix and match what you wanted to create your own way through each encounter, and the engine and game design were very open ended. It wasn't 'the stealth way' and 'the combat way' it was 'what combat encounters can I handle, do I want to handle them or search for a way through that my build will support, if I'm going stealthily there's still 4 different ways into the building, one might require hacking, one might require lockpicking, one might be a tighter timing window to avoid detection, one might involve some kills'...

I mean, HR was a fantastic game, but if there's one major criticism I have of it it was that. For all the shit people give Mass Effect about its shooting, as an RPG it worked great in Deus Ex to enforce your decisions. Using a pistol without the skill is HARDER. not impossible, but absolutely harder. same for anything else.

Is that a bad thing?

The perpetual decline of role-playing and decision-making in games. That it happened to Deus Ex is sad.

To answer your question, it is not inherently bad. Just unfortunate in this case, even if it is expected. There are more old-school RPGs being made these days than in the recent past so I suppose this evens out.

edit: What Yanger said.

Top Bottom