• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers Discuss Benefits Of Targeting 720p/30fps Next Gen, Using Film Aesthetics

The take away here is that some very smart people think that rendering a better, smoother, less obviously computer graphics image can be done without resorting to processor intensive brute force methods that we have currently been trying.

Actually, their proposal is that the top picture here looks better.

The top picture is what Pixar actually put on their blu-ray release for example, as opposed to the bottom shot being an "in progress" image.

I'm not sure I agree with them, at least in stills.

You can't really judge something like this purely off a still image. All that high frequency detail will shimmer like crazy in motion.

In games you have to, you know, interact with shit, so the whole equation between the "viewer" and the image changes drastically.

This is fine for most games...it's mainly just racing games and fast action games that really need 60fps. Though the 60fps dungeon exploration in Wild Arms 5 was a nice treat. Have any RPGs on PS3 or 360 done 60fps?

How about you just give me a clean image. Do your best to limit the aliasing

If you actually followed the discussion, you'd realise that's exactly what this is about trying to achieve. Even 8xSGSSAA with a standard box filter has fundamental issues with aliasing/shimmering/popping, so we need to explore other approaches.

They could take the super clean 720p image and scale it internally to 1080p with some good filters.

It won't look 1080p native good, but it would at least get around the TV scaler problem.

Its something that he's building into FXAA actually and having MSAA samples to work with allows it to create some very impressive results.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
that's disappointing
I don't want my games to look like movies, with low FPS, film aesthetics and motion blur.

I want them to look like games, 120fps on a 120hz monitor is glorious, that's what I want console gaming to move towards.
I feel the same way

If you actually followed the discussion, you'd realise that's exactly what this is about trying to achieve. Even 8xSGSSAA with a standard box filter has fundamental issues with aliasing/shimmering/popping, so we need to explore other approaches.

I was actually following the discussion. But when they are talking about emulating movies they are talking about much more than clearing up aliasing. They are also (and mostly since they seem to be fucking in love with this crap) talking about all the other post processing that blurs the image. I wouldnt mind it so much if it was a style that only a minority of games use, but it's almost all of them now.

What purpose does it serve for DX:HR to use that garish gold filter? Or worse yet BF3's blue tint all over everything? These effects dont simulate real life. What is GTA4's DOF filter supposed to emulate? I can see further than 50 yards away in real life.

Their argument is that films use these effects and people like it then. Well a game isnt a film. In a movie I only need to see what the director intends for me to see. The characters in the background are useless noise. Much like the buildings in the Wall-E shot from earlier. In a game I need to be able to look clearly at those buildings just as I would be able to if i looked directly at them in real life. In a game I'm supposed to be free to look anywhere I please, not just where the DOF allows me. Someone earlier mentioned that when you are driving in a car the motion of the things you pass is blurred unless you focus on one spot. While that may be true in real life, in a game the screen doesn't have any idea where my eyes are focusing. It doesn't work.

And I dont care if it's a game or a movie, the over saturation from light sources is being overdone. Super 8 might as well have been called Blue Streaks of Light Across Your Screen.

1C77d.jpg

TUROK

FXAA/MLAA isn't real anti aliasing at all, it's just a blur filter to smooth out everything, it kills the contrast of the image and thereby kills the image quality.
FXAA is slightly less obnoxious (the bf3 solution isn't too awful if you hate jaggies and don't have a killed pc to get a good framerate with the poorly implemented MSAA)

This isn't even close to being true. In layman's terms, they detect polygonal edges and apply a blur to those edges. FXAA however, appears to be prone to detecting edges which are not aliased edges and blurs them, resulting in the soft look.

MLAA on the other hand and produce some fantastic results, just ask anyone who has played God of War 3.

Just because it's a different implementation doesn't mean it's not real AA.

Also, MSAA wasn't poorly implemented into BF3, it's just what happens when you try using MSAA in a deferred render.

Odrion

Banned
You know what, sure. Resolution and frame-rate are good, but IQ is more important for the lasting power of a title. Resolution and framerate can be improved for potential re-releases on next-next-gen hardware or on the PC by ever improving hardware.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You see, this is the mindset developers need to compete with next generation.
You mean high quality full motion video with highly detailed prerendered environments? That's what I would be thinking if told that screenshot was from a game. :p

Odrion

Banned
How would you feel if back on the PS2, Shadow of the Colossus' graphics were dumbed down considerably for a better framerate/resolution, and thus looking nowhere as good as it would now as a HD remaster?

Putting your priority on IQ is better for a game in the long run.

NBtoaster

So you let the game render it at a much much higher resolution than 1080p (ubersampling =ssaa = costs the same resources as if you set the resolution to show onscreen at that high a res) and then let the game downsample it to 720p and THEN you scaled it back up to 1080p.
What is the point of that?

All the cost to get it to look good, then compromise to fit it on a 720p monitor and then crap on the image quality again by upscaling it again...

Ubsersampling was just an example, it could be any form of "good" AA.

I'm scaling because that's what the consoles will do, it's an example that the image quality of 720p this gen isn't destined to look the same next gen, considering the advances in AA and scaling tech/hardware.

Another example: Just Cause 2, 32xCSAA, 720p native, scaled to 1080p
scale20w47y.png

disap.ed

...really?

REALLY?

Yes, really. If someone would have told me that this is from Crysis or something, I would have believed him. It probably is different in motion though.

It just seems like random Avatar trolling to me.

Absolutely not. While the environment looks phantastic (and quite a heap above current games to be honest), the cockpit doesn't look all that impossible to do with current tech.

I think that is what the AMD guy meant last year, that the overall impression won't be too far off Avatar next-gen and I think this will be true for non hardcore gamers and non pixel counters.

IrishNinja

If they 'target' 720p/30, is it fair to assume we're looking at the same res and framerate as this gen? I'm fairly sure they were 'targetting' 720p/30 as a minimum this gen. Didn't happen though.

It really is going to be a mild bump next-gen, isn't it.

exactly my thought @ the OP - thought that was what was shot for here, despite talk of 1080.

Planning to not hit 60? That's fine, developers. I'll just play Nintendo games because they actually give a shit about how a game runs.

is this a thing? the way i understand it, nintendo game design stresses FPS > res, no? which of their titles has run @ 30 vs 60 FPS? gotta figure mario/zelda for the latter.

We're taking about 720p with absolutely zero spatial or temporal aliasing. 720p with none of the rendering artefacts we just accept as the norm in games today, even in supersampled PC games. Basically, go grab a Pixar Bd and see if you like the image quality there.

Micerider

I've been playing most cross-platform games on a PC, hooked to the Television for a while now and I've always found that I had more benefits in Image Quality when using a lower resolution (768p is my sweet spot currently) and toping it with filters when compared to same image, same fps but with higher resolution and less filters.

I think it's a sane approach. It's not a matter of "we can't do 1080p and it's useless" but rather a case of "we Would reach an overall better quality if we worked on a heavily filtered 720p, moreso than just pumping up the resolution)".

They are NOT denying that there is a gain in 1080p, just saying that the power used to display it might result in overall better results if it was focused on Image Quality at 720p instead.

And from my personnal experience, I would totally agree.

The only reason I would see the 1080p prevail is when people are sitting too fracking close to the screen (for console games).

Higher resolutions makes total sense on PC, when you are sitting at a desk, max. 1 meter away from the screen. But when you are sitting 2.5 to 3 meters away, the quality gain for higher resolution (above 720p) is minimized.

As for the 30 FPS discussion well, I prefer a stable 30FPS than a wonky 60 FPS, dipping in the 30's on regular basis. I don' t mind 30 FPS for atmospheric games. I just hope however that they would NOT drop 60 fps as a minimum target for racing games, fighting games and nervous FPS (ie CoD, not Bioshock).

I think there is no need to be agressive about these prospects, these people are just trying to find solutions to offer you the best experience, and they are well damn more knowledegeable than most of us to try it. They never said "WE CAN'T DO 1080p 60 FPS" (because they can, even on current gen), they said "We have better for the same cost". And I want to see it before despising it blindly.

TUROK

I think there is no need to be agressive about these prospects, these people are just trying to find solutions to offer you the best experience, and they are well damn more knowledegeable than most of us to try it. They never said "WE CAN'T DO 1080p 60 FPS" (because they can, even on current gen), they said "We have better for the same cost". And I want to see it before despising it blindly.
We need more rational people like you around here.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Damn that developers discussion scares the shit out of me. Will probably join the master race next gen if that 720p/30fps shit sticks. I have had enough vaseline this gen thanks.

zoukka

Damn that developers discussion scares the shit out of me. Will probably join the master race next gen if that 720p/30fps shit sticks. I have had enough vaseline this gen thanks.

Out of curiosity, how many devs do you think are on board with that discussion? -this question is also directed to everyone in this thread.

jett

D-Member
Yes, really. If someone would have told me that this is from Crysis or something, I would have believed him. It probably is different in motion though.

Absolutely not. While the environment looks phantastic (and quite a heap above current games to be honest), the cockpit doesn't look all that impossible to do with current tech.

I think that is what the AMD guy meant last year, that the overall impression won't be too far off Avatar next-gen and I think this will be true for non hardcore gamers and non pixel counters.

The cockpit is real, just so you know.

All this really points to is this one simple fact..

Wait.

For the love of god, just wait before releasing next gen. Let the time pass so that you can release a powerful console that people can afford which produces 1080p, 60 fps games with all that visual pizazz and AI goodness you want.

Stop forcing the next generation too early.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was actually following the discussion. But when they are talking about emulating movies they are talking about much more than clearing up aliasing. They are also (and mostly since they seem to be fucking in love with this crap) talking about all the other post processing that blurs the image. I wouldnt mind it so much if it was a style that only a minority of games use, but it's almost all of them now.

What purpose does it serve for DX:HR to use that garish gold filter? Or worse yet BF3's blue tint all over everything? These effects dont simulate real life. What is GTA4's DOF filter supposed to emulate? I can see further than 50 yards away in real life.
The gold filter used in DXHR gave it a very unique look which I absolutely loved. Art need not always be created with realistic colors in mind. They weren't trying to emulate the look of a film, rather, deliver on their own artistic vision.

As with all forms of art, it will not appeal to everyone.

lefantome

Games are interactive they don't reproduce movies.

I can't stand 720p games no more, I need more resolution especially in open spaces games. I prefer a clean image less impressive to my eyes than a dirt image with a lot of effects and a stupid AA which kill details.

Unfortunately I'm playing at 1280x800 on my pc without antialiasing.

Is aliasing a big problem on 1080p 3d pc games?

DieH@rd

Banned
All this really points to is this one simple fact..

Wait.

For the love of god, just wait before releasing next gen. Let the time pass so that you can release a powerful console that people can afford which produces 1080p, 60 fps games with all that visual pizazz and AI goodness you want.

Stop forcing the next generation too early.

PS4 will probably come out in 2014...

Wazzim

Banned
How would you feel if back on the PS2, Shadow of the Colossus' graphics were dumbed down considerably for a better framerate/resolution, and thus looking nowhere as good as it would now as a HD remaster?

Putting your priority on IQ is better for a game in the long run.

I'm buying the game now, not for some re-release later on.

ScOULaris

30 FPS? No. Games benefit from higher framerates because it increases responsiveness and control over the action.

720p? Fuck that shit. We're gonna be playing these games on 1080p televisions and/or monitors capable of even higher resolutions. Why should upscaling become standard? The developers will spend all of this time crafting high quality imagery only to leave it up to the TV to preserve that clarity through upscaling?

I can appreciate the concept behind this, but I think games benefit from higher resolution and framerate in ways that don't apply to film.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
30 FPS? No. Games benefit from higher framerates because it increases responsiveness and control over the action.

720p? Fuck that shit. We're gonna be playing these games on 1080p televisions and/or monitors capable of even higher resolutions. Why should upscaling become standard? The developers will spend all of this time crafting high quality imagery only to leave it up to the TV to preserve that clarity through upscaling?

I can appreciate the concept behind this, but I think games benefit from higher resolution and framerate in ways that don't apply to film.
Yeah, I've defended their line of thinking and see merit in it, but the reality is that most TVs these days are 1920x1080. When games are at the mercy of a scaler (either from the console itself or the display) things don't always look great. 720p as it appears on my setup is very decent, but it can look pretty rough on other displays. Using 1080p would at least allow for proper 1:1 pixel mapping and a very clean image.

Yeah, I've defended their line of thinking and see merit in it, but the reality is that most TVs these days are 1920x1080. When games are at the mercy of a scaler (either from the console itself or the display) things don't always look great. 720p as it appears on my setup is very decent, but it can look pretty rough on other displays. Using 1080p would at least allow for proper 1:1 pixel mapping and a very clean image.

Wasn't that what carmack tweeted about for next gen that it would make them have 1:1 pixel mapping.

ScOULaris

This thread is still going? Neat.

And yeah 120 FPS looks amazing. Surprises me every time I see it.

It looks amazing if it's shot or rendered at 120FPS natively and then displayed on a 120hz monitor. If a 27FPS movie or a 30FPS game is being displayed at 120hz using motion interpolation, it looks like SHIT.

It looks amazing if it's shot or rendered at 120FPS natively and then displayed on a 120hz monitor. If a 27FPS movie or a 30FPS game is being displayed at 120hz using motion interpolation, it looks like SHIT.

And dont speak about the input lag. Because tv has to buffer 2 images to interpolate between.

Zeppelin

I'm honestly a bit surprised these guys aren't set on targeting 1080p. That some of them wouldn't go for the 60 FPS has always been obvious though.

But I guess I'm kinda cool with some games going that route. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p when gaming on a TV anyway (assuming anti-aliasing that is). I'm looking forward to see what they can accomplish at 720p and 30 FPS next-gen.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Damn I'm kind of glad that I haven't noticed which console games ran at 1080p and which didn't lol. Only time I notice resolutions is when I play skyward sword :/

LeleSocho

Banned
Looks like the SH wants the rise of the master race to much higher levels...
anyway if this is gonna be true i am ready to boycott nextgen consoles

Top Bottom