• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers hate Series S

jm89

giphy.gif

K2D

Banned
I have an incling that data streaming (streaming and culing textures for LOD reasons) and direct storage is hampered by series s and therefore cannot be used for gameplay features on multiplatform games.

I hope the most ambitious upcoming games ditch the series consoles if this is the case.....

Last edited:
Microsoft need to let Series S versions cut features or let developers make games just for Series X.

They also need to be open and let owners know that they arent guaranteed all games or parity going forwards.

Bring the Series X down in price and bring out a Pro model.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The steam deck has 16gb of ram and I bet the switch 2 will as well
I would love to know the complaint because I bet it has to do with ram configuration and nothing else
If ms had just given the s 16 gb of ram I bet these complaints wouldn't exist

They still have to have their game work on a 1.6 tflop machine, less than half as powerful than Series S, so different compromises will still have to be made.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Its true, what we heard as devs prior to release, wasn't true. We here didn't received XSS for development for over 2 years. XSX dev kits are overpowered even to XSX retail units and that GDK software profile, really works how they told it, but it seems it just limits resolution and VRAM (SW wise), but then you get hands on true HW and its...a mess.... X1X is better designed and more powerful GPU wise in a lot of scenarios.

So yeah, I was hopeful for some major API update, but sadly thats probably not coming for it. There is a lot of cool tech in consoles, which sadly isn't that useful when you are RAM bound.

welshrat

The lack of RAM and Microsofts requirement of parity is the issue here. The steam deck is a different beast entirely and getting steam deck verified does not mean its expected to have all the features of other PC systems, simply that it runs ok when the correct settings are applied.

Really is going to be a nightmare once the PS5 Pro gets released.

MrA

They still have to have their game work on a 1.6 tflop machine, less than half as powerful than Series S, so different compromises will still have to be made.
1.6 tf is way less.of a problem than less ram, 4k to 1080p to 720p, 1/9 the floating point on gpu, (not exactly but res drops free up loads of cpu) reduced particles, reduce other graphics effects will free up way more computational power than they will ram

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The same Devs getting verified for Steam Deck and who will be releasing games for Switch 2.
Deck has more RAM than Series S.

No Because Deck can run at lowest setting at 1280x800 or less and the game still being Deck verified + no dev is obligated to make their game Deck verified. Series S still have to maintain basically the same graphics settings at lower resolutions only.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
1.6 tf is way less.of a problem than less ram, 4k to 1080p to 720p, 1/9 the floating point on gpu, (not exactly but res drops free up loads of cpu) reduced particles, reduce other graphics effects will free up way more computational power than they will ram

That's why I said different compromises, you can only do so much with a 1.6 tflop machine but Devs are happy to get their games Steamdeck verified when it hasn't got anywhere near the userbase of Series S. So I don't think Xbox will have to worry, the gap between One X and One S was in fact far larger in GPU, CPU and speed of ram but developers managed just fine. Publishers have the final say and Devs will do what they are paid to do .

Last edited:
This again?

Most of the devs that complain are able to somehow get their unoptimised games to run on worse PC hardware than the Series S. Hell, even BG3 from Larian has the following minimum spec…

OS: Windows 10 64-bit. Processor: Intel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350. Memory: 8 GB RAM. Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)

Topher

Gold Member
This again?

Most of the devs that complain are able to somehow get their unoptimised games to run on worse PC hardware than the Series S. Hell, even BG3 from Larian has the following minimum spec…

OS: Windows 10 64-bit. Processor: Intel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350. Memory: 8 GB RAM. Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)

Minimum memory requirements are above what XSS has.

Dane

Of course, you need to learn to code instead of releasing shit that uses 4 cores / 8 threads at best while stuttering below 60 FPS with an RTX 4090 at 1080p.
Minimum memory requirements are above what XSS has.
Not only the GTX 970 has the same, if not worse bandwith (see: the 0.5GB controversy) and smaller memory (3.5GB hence the controversy) , the CPU is vastly worse than the one in the current consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom