• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked (EU) finally released after 2 years, still has bugs.

jtm33

Neo Member
Hi everyone.

First of all I would like to apologise for the issues you have been experiencing it's not good enough and we will be looking into what went wrong.

As an update into what will be happening I will be going into the office today to start tracking down these issues in the game and we will be hoping to fix these issues as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Ross

I don't envy your position. This is quite embarrassing. Good luck in trying to sort it out for what it is worth. I know you guys have good intentions.

I am not even mad, I guess I have been conditioned to it. Every Atlus game launch is inevitably one misstep after another.

Hi everyone.

First of all I would like to apologise for the issues you have been experiencing it's not good enough and we will be looking into what went wrong.

As an update into what will be happening I will be going into the office today to start tracking down these issues in the game and we will be hoping to fix these issues as soon as possible.

Ross

I appreciate that you're apparently being proactive in dealing with things, but some of this really shouldn't have gotten through in the first place. It's like a dash jump locking up a Mario game and nobody noticing it before shipping the game. Really reflects poorly on GL.

web01

People should still avoid buying this game at all costs until its known exactly what the extent of the fix will be and when it will arrive. It could take months.

Really what I feel they should be doing is a full recall and reprint considering the nature of the bug.

Conan-san

ATLUS, YOU DARE DEFY THE GODS?!

I SENTENCE YOU TO TRAVEL AMONGST UNKNOWN SALES

UNTIL YOU REACH THE KINGDOM OF GOOD LOCALISATION

YOUR PROFITS WILL BE LIFELESS AS STONE!

Fisico

Hi everyone.

Ross

Good luck with that, as for me, and probably many others, I am waiting for you to fix the problems before buying the game.

I wonder if this situation will have any kind of influence about the hypothetical release of Devil Survivor 2 on DS.

Labadal

Hi everyone.

Ross

If you can fix the problem, I'll buy it, despite cancelling my pre-order in anger. I know you're in a difficult position, and you're right an apology isn't good enough. It's good then that you are looking into the matter. I really want to play the game, so I really hope it is a problem you can fix.

Dambrosi

Banned
It is the 21st Century.

Ghostlight killed the giant 2 Year Delay while rescuing their licenses and their next game, Devil Survivor Overclocked.

But the ancient Gods of EuroGAF are angry [at game-stopping bugs], and threaten a terrible revenge...

ATLUS, YOU DARE DEFY THE GODS?!

I SENTENCE YOU TO TRAVEL AMONGST UNKNOWN SALES

UNTIL YOU REACH THE KINGDOM OF GOOD LOCALISATION

YOUR PROFITS WILL BE LIFELESS AS STONE!
Atlus; "Lord Ghostlight, the route to Good Localisation has been wiped from my memory"

*the patch eventually comes out* "Player! Oh, Player!"

*3DS owner hugs copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked* "You are playable, my game!"

*didum didum didum didum*

Sure, lets go with Zen united, or however many other partners it takes before people realize the common theme in all these disasterous releases

*googles "Zen United"*

...Oh. Considering that Australia is getting the game at about the same time as Zen United, yeah, probably Atlus' fault. Unfortunately, if Atlus is the one responsible then that means that having a European branch wouldn't necessarily resolve Europe's Atlus-related issues (It would help with the licensing but that's about it). Poor Europeans. :(

OMG Aero

Sure, lets go with Zen united, or however many other partners it takes before people realize the common theme in all these disasterous releases
NIS seemed to handle Persona 4 Golden fine. There was a four month wait between the American and European launches but that isn't long enough for me to mind with it being a lengthy text heavy RPG.

Fisico

Unfortunately, if Atlus is the one responsible then that means that having a European branch wouldn't necessarily resolve Europe's Atlus-related issues (It would help with the licensing but that's about it). Poor Europeans. :(

It could, because if the game bombs it would more directly affect them, right now, since it's other publishers which take the risks, they don't care whether the game sell or not, they've sold the publishing rights and got the money.

redlemon

NIS seemed to handle Persona 4 Golden fine. There was a four month wait between the American and European launches but that isn't long enough for me to mind with it being a lengthy text heavy RPG.

NISA/Koei do a fine job when it comes to european releases on consoles but handhelds are a different story, presumably because of cart costs. Maybe that's changing though since they published golden like you said and it looks like there publishing Etrian Odyssey IV too.

It's rather hilarious that with no additional language localizations that they managed to break the game so bad. What did they change in the game? The Naoya thing is funny since they wouldn't have any reason to mess with that string in the first place if they aren't modifying the localization.
Thats exactly the point. I speculate that what happened is Atlus USA were like...instead of doing find+replace on every $first and $last to swap them we'll swap the stored values instead and didn't document this.

Or perhaps what happened is this localisation being based off the Japanese version had swapped those round. Either way its an oversight.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
We aren't talking about an issue that's actually hidden in the game. Virtue's Last Reward remains perfectly playable for the most part, the save-deleting bug occurs mostly in a single room, is easily avoidable and it's plausible that Aksys simple didn't catch the bug before release.
This is OT, but since it keeps being brought up: the crashing + save corruption problems in VLR also existed in the Japanese version. It wasn't confined to the NA/EU releases.

OK, I'm out; y'all can go back to being justifiably pissed at Ghostlight.

bitoriginal

Great response time from Ghostlight imo. It's a bank holiday weekend here in the UK and the game was released Thursday/Friday. A response on the Sunday is unexpected. Hopefully they'll get a patch out asap.

Alkolto

Neo Member
I'm really not sure why everyone seems to think that this is somehow Atlus' fault. I own both the Japanese version and the North American version of Devil Survivor Overclocked, and I have only ever run into a few bugs between the two versions. Both versions have one or two points where the game can lock up on you on a rare occasion. And the North American version has a few lines that have English voice acting, but the text went untranslated for some reason. Nothing close to this. Hell, I'm no master at programming, especially when it comes to 3DS hardware. But some of these bugs have nothing to do with localizing the game? The whole last name thing doesn't make much sense, considering that was a string they shouldn't have even touched. And how did the summoning thing even come up?

And is it really Atlus' fault for not having a European branch of their own? It's not their job to release the games everywhere they possibly can. I mean, I guess I can understand the logic behind this kind of statement, but it's still not very good logic. I really hate using this word, but it's a very 'entitled' kind of logic.

This is pretty awful, but unless Atlus maliciously sabotaged the code for the European version, I find it hard to blame anyone but Ghostlight.

Khrno

This is pretty awful, but unless Atlus maliciously sabotaged the code for the European version, I find it hard to blame anyone but Ghostlight.

We don't really know who did the localization coding, if it was internally by Ghostlight, or as the interview I posted on the previous page, done by Atlus.

We do know that Ghostlight didn't test the game properly and missed 3 obvious problems. But in the same vein, we can also blame Nintendo's submissions QA for also missing these obvious bugs, that's it if Nintendo even QA the games that are being released in their platforms (because Sony does this).

So in the end this is a very big fuck up, mainly by Ghostlight, but also by Nintendo and maybe even by Atlus if they indeed did the localization.

Domstercool

It's not their job to release the games everywhere they possibly can

What kind of company doesn't want people to buy their products? I would say it is their job to release their games to the world whenever they can. EU is a big market, it wouldn't make sense to not try get your games released there.

I guess we should just let all games stay in Japan and maybe wish other companies will pick the titles up, such as FF Type 0 and Bravery Default or have European only releases that don't come to the US (like Fatal Frame 2 Wii). It's a silly thing that is happening. :/

redcrayon

What kind of company doesn't want people to buy their products? I would say it is their job to release their games to the world whenever they can. EU is a big market, it wouldn't make sense to not try get your games released there.

I guess we should just let all games stay in Japan and maybe wish other companies will pick the titles up, such as FF Type 0 and Bravery Default or have European only releases that don't come to the US (like Fatal Frame 2 Wii). It's a silly thing that is happening. :/

It's certainly not the job of a company to release products in regions where it would be unprofitable to do so.

The audience for most Atlus games is tiny compared to the amount of languages and individual country trade laws that need to be taken into account for EU release, I'm surprised it wasn't an eshop only title.

Domstercool

It's certainly not the job of a company to release products in regions where it would be unprofitable to do so.

The audience for most Atlus games is tiny compared to the amount of languages and individual country trade laws that need to be taken into account for EU release, I'm surprised it wasn't an eshop only title.

That is true, but the UK is the 3rd biggest market on the planet. If there is already a US version, then it can't be that hard to release in the UK with the English that is already there, be it physical or a download title.

Don't some North American games sometimes come with French or Spanish language settings as well?

redlemon

We don't really know who did the localization coding, if it was internally by Ghostlight, or as the interview I posted on the previous page, done by Atlus.

We do know that Ghostlight didn't test the game properly and missed 3 obvious problems. But in the same vein, we can also blame Nintendo's submissions QA for also missing these obvious bugs, that's it if Nintendo even QA the games that are being released in their platforms (because Sony does this).

So in the end this is a very big fuck up, mainly by Ghostlight, but also by Nintendo and maybe even by Atlus if they indeed did the localization.

The buck still stops with them though.

redcrayon

That is true, but the UK is the 3rd biggest market on the planet. If there is already a US version, then it can't be that hard to release in the UK with the English that is already there, be it physical or a download title.

Don't some North American games sometimes come with French or Spanish language settings as well?

Unfortunately there is a big drop off after the first two markets- the UK may be the third biggest but France isn't far behind, and its only the entire EU combined that make it a viable PAL release, which means hitting the requirements for a dozen different sets of media laws, which makes the whole process of localisations and having an EU office quite expensive in comparison to expected sales. We're not talking about companies that make Fifa or faceshooters here.

Not only that, but the handheld market is tiny here- 3DS games just don't sell very much even in a decent-sized EU country. Having an English and Spanish translation (or French if Canadian origin) available is only a fraction of the work involved as both countries have different media approval systems and trade laws that need to be satisfied, plus each is only a tiny fraction of the US market.

A UK- only physical release just wont happen, but I'd love developers to make a digital release in the UK available as soon as an English translation is possible. Having said that, if a company does do an EU release, proper UK localisation makes a big difference in quality to me- various Americanisms and differences in accepted grammar can come across as clumsy in script to us, no matter how used we are to cool US tv shows (I'm not knocking US Gaf here, but stuff like 'addicting' etc just grates, and I'm sure the reverse is also true for UK media sold over there). There is a real art in localisation- the Dragon Quest games are pretty good at making UK country/regional accents come across reasonably well rather than the usual mangling of anything vaguely Celtic or non-SE England by US voice actors in most RPGs.

Still, after years of importing from the US, now not an option due to region-lock, I'd rather have any release in English than none at all, I just realise that the situation for getting an English release in the UK is more complex than it seems, despite how bizarre having to wait for French, German, Spanish and Italian translations may seem on the surface.

Alkolto

Neo Member

You're missing the point. Atlus doesn't have to start their own European branch if they don't want to. And it's not like starting up a new branch is incredibly easy. You don't just clap your hands and then a new branch is formed. It's much more time consuming and money draining than that before the idea of a profit can even be made.

It's completely up to Atlus whether they feel like they need a European branch of not. They are not required to have a branch in Europe, and if they don't want to start up a new branch, they shouldn't have to. Like I said before, to act like Atlus has to have a European branch is just nonsense. It would be nice if they did make a European branch so they wouldn't have to rely on other companies to localize their games in Europe. But if they don't want to, they don't have to, and you should respect that. It's not their job to make games for every market possible.

Also, it's incredibly rare that NA region games have other languages than English. Sometimes there are manuals that are also in Spanish, and sometimes games with very minimal text have language options, but never games the size of Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Andrefpvs

You're missing the point. Atlus doesn't have to start their own European branch if they don't want to. And it's not like starting up a new branch is incredibly easy. You don't just clap your hands and then a new branch is formed. It's much more time consuming and money draining than that before the idea of a profit can even be made.

It's completely up to Atlus whether they feel like they need a European branch of not. They are not required to have a branch in Europe, and if they don't want to start up a new branch, they shouldn't have to. Like I said before, to act like Atlus has to have a European branch is just nonsense. It would be nice if they did make a European branch so they wouldn't have to rely on other companies to localize their games in Europe. But if they don't want to, they don't have to, and you should respect that. It's not their job to make games for every market possible.

Also, it's incredibly rare that NA region games have other languages than English. Sometimes there are manuals that are also in Spanish, and sometimes games with very minimal text have language options, but never games the size of Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Honest question:

Are you:
a) European
b) An Atlus fan
c) All of the above
?

Alkolto

Neo Member
Honest question:

Are you:
a) European
b) An Atlus fan
c) All of the above
?

If I was, it wouldn't change my opinion, because I don't let things like that bias me.

And even if I was, this probably wouldn't apply to me in the first place, since I'd have a JP region 3DS and I'd probably end up getting a NA region 3DS instead of EU region anyway, since I'm a pretty big import gamer.

Asking something like that is incredibly leading, and incredibly dirty. Because if I don't answer C that gives you the freedom to shout WELL YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE GOING THROUGH. But that doesn't change anything about this argument. Not to mention that that logic is very flawed, and that if I lived in Europe I would suddenly feel like Atlus should have to open up a EU branch even if they don't want to. It is not Atlus' job to release games everywhere they possibly can. Whether I live in Europe or any other place where I can't get a hold of these games, it doesn't change this fact.

Domstercool

You have to wonder though. If Nippon Ichi can self publish their games in EU, and they probably sell around the same, if not less, since they are very niche games, then you would think Atlus would be able to as well.

I guess Nippon Ichi just care more. :p

Volcynika

You have to wonder though. If Nippon Ichi can self publish their games in EU, and they probably sell around the same, if not less, since they are very niche games, then you would think Atlus would be able to as well.

I guess Nippon Ichi just care more. :p

They have an agreement with Tecmo Koei as far as distribution and such. It's not all on NISA.

Atlus is my favorite company, this and the whole P4A BS really sucks.... I know it's not their fault, but this will give them a bad image in Europe.

Andrefpvs

If I was, it wouldn't change my opinion, because I don't let things like that bias me.

And even if I was, this probably wouldn't apply to me in the first place, since I'd have a JP region 3DS and I'd probably end up getting a NA region 3DS instead of EU region anyway, since I'm a pretty big import gamer.

Asking something like that is incredibly leading, and incredibly dirty. Because if I don't answer C that gives you the freedom to shout WELL YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE GOING THROUGH. But that doesn't change anything about this argument. Not to mention that that logic is very flawed, and that if I lived in Europe I would suddenly feel like Atlus should have to open up a EU branch even if they don't want to. It is not Atlus' job to release games everywhere they possibly can. Whether I live in Europe or any other place where I can't get a hold of these games, it doesn't change this fact.

My point is that your opinion (to which you are rightly entitled to) is going to reflect your personal situation.

You are clearly an individual who is willing to go the extra step in order to enjoy his hobby (you import hardware to bypass region-locks), but not all of us wish to do so, for various obvious reasons.

You have found your way to avoid the frustration 90% or so of the people posting in this thread usually feel when it comes to Atlus releases in Europe and that's okay.

You are correct when you affirm that Atlus don't have to open an European branch if they don't want to, it would be idiotic to assume any other way.

However, to come in a thread where people are distraught by the constant second class treatment they receive by a company and debate that, basically, "that company doesn't own you jack," (essentially adding fuel to their fire) is in my opinion as reproachable as my "dirty" attempt to ask you a leading question (to which I assume and apologize).

Maybe it passes as being entitled (like you said), but if we don't voice our opinions, what else do we have? All of us are just expressing hope that one day this situation changes (as an Atlus fan myself, the existence of an Atlus Europe is a personal dream of mine).

I and other PAL gamers just want to play Atlus's excellent games like others can, and I'm saddened that corporate decisions sometimes prevent us from doing so.

Alkolto

Neo Member
My point is that your opinion (to which you are rightly entitled to) is going to reflect your personal situation.

You are clearly an individual who is willing to go the extra step in order to enjoy his hobby (you import hardware to bypass region-locks), but not all of us wish to do so, for various obvious reasons.

You have found your way to avoid the frustration 90% or so of the people posting in this thread usually feel when it comes to Atlus releases in Europe and that's okay.

You are correct when you affirm that Atlus don't have to open an European branch if they don't want to, it would be idiotic to assume any other way.

However, to come in a thread where people are distraught by the constant second class treatment they receive by a company and debate that, basically, "that company doesn't own you jack," (essentially adding fuel to their fire) is in my opinion as reproachable as my "dirty" attempt to ask you a leading question (to which I assume and apologize).

Maybe it passes as being entitled (like you said), but if we don't voice our opinions, what else do we have? All of us are just expressing hope that one day this situation changes (as an Atlus fan myself, the existence of an Atlus Europe is a personal dream of mine).

I and other PAL gamers just want to play Atlus's excellent games like others can, and I'm saddened that corporate decisions sometimes prevent us from doing so.

I understand that, but acting like Atlus is at fault because they just don't own a EU branch and currently don't have any plans to create one is beyond crazy. That kind of logic is not only terrible, but also dangerous. That is not how companies work, at all. And having the kind of mindset that a company is at fault because they don't do their best to directly cater to everyone that they possibly can is just very bad logic. And like I said, I hate the word, but it is very 'entitled' logic. It's basically saying 'do what I say, or I'll pin the blame on you for something you might have barely had anything to do with!'. Do you not see how dangerous and crazy that kind of logic is?

duckroll

I understand that, but acting like Atlus is at fault because they just don't own a EU branch and currently don't have any plans to create one is beyond crazy. That kind of logic is not only terrible, but also dangerous. That is not how companies work, at all. And having the kind of mindset that a company is at fault because they don't do their best to directly cater to everyone that they possibly can is just very bad logic. And like I said, I hate the word, but it is very 'entitled' logic. It's basically saying 'do what I say, or I'll pin the blame on you for something you might have barely had anything to do with!'. Do you not see how dangerous and crazy that kind of logic is?

It's not really crazy or dangerous. I think the logic is very simple:

- Atlus creates products some people want to buy

- These people live in a region which Atlus does not care about

- If Atlus did care, they would have the business of these people

- The companies Atlus does business with to bring their titles to this region appear to be really bad at their job

- The longer Atlus allows this to continue, the more their brand will suffer in these regions

It's entirely likely that Index as a whole does not feel it is worth their time and money to invest in running proper European operations. That's their right. It also means that they're actively hurting their potential consumer base there with how things are. There is nothing crazy or dangerous about the situation, it's just how business is. They weigh the pros and cons of expanding their business and they pick an option, the consequence is that people who want their products in that region will either be thankful or will be annoyed.

Alkolto

Neo Member
It's not really crazy or dangerous. I think the logic is very simple:

- Atlus creates products some people want to buy

- These people live in a region which Atlus does not care about

- If Atlus did care, they would have the business of these people

- The companies Atlus does business with to bring their titles to this region appear to be really bad at their job

- The longer Atlus allows this to continue, the more their brand will suffer in these regions

It's entirely likely that Index as a whole does not feel it is worth their time and money to invest in running proper European operations. That's their right. It also means that they're actively hurting their potential consumer base there with how things are. There is nothing crazy or dangerous about the situation, it's just how business is. They weigh the pros and cons of expanding their business and they pick an option, the consequence is that people who want their products in that region will either be thankful or will be annoyed.

I'm talking about the people in this topic with the logic that it's Atlus' fault that this happened because of the lack of an EU branch, though. Would this probably not has happened if they just had an EU branch to do it? Probably not. Does that somehow put extra fault on them because of the lack of an EU branch? No, that's crazy talk.

duckroll

I'm talking about the people in this topic with the logic that it's Atlus' fault that this happened because of the lack of an EU branch, though. Would this probably not has happened if they just had an EU branch to do it? Probably not. Does that somehow put extra fault on them because of the lack of an EU branch? No, that's crazy talk.

It is absolutely Index's fault that they are not catering to the consumers in Europe. This particular thing happening is besides the point. People in Europe who like Atlus games are sick and tired of being treated this way, and they are expressing that outrage. It is absolutely fair for them to. Index doesn't have to do anything about it if they don't think it is worth their time and money, but that's not going to stop people from being left behind.

I don't see why anyone has to defend a company which doesn't even want a presence in a territory. There's no "extra fault" here. People want Atlus to take responsibility for their own products in Europe instead of leaving it to cheap lowest-bidder fuckup companies who take years to release titles in Europe for higher prices and sometimes lower quality. It's a shit situation.

Alkolto

Neo Member
It is absolutely Index's fault that they are not catering to the consumers in Europe. This particular thing happening is besides the point. People in Europe who like Atlus games are sick and tired of being treated this way, and they are expressing that outrage. It is absolutely fair for them to. Index doesn't have to do anything about it if they don't think it is worth their time and money, but that's not going to stop people from being left behind.

I don't see why anyone has to defend a company which doesn't even want a presence in a territory. There's no "extra fault" here. People want Atlus to take responsibility for their own products in Europe instead of leaving it to cheap lowest-bidder fuckup companies who take years to release titles in Europe for higher prices and sometimes lower quality. It's a shit situation.

I'm not quite sure you are taking my posts the right way. I'm not saying that Atlus can't be expected to take shit for not having a European branch, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that the blame can be pointed at Atlus for another company's screw up. Yes, if there was a European Atlus branch the game probably would have been released earlier with less/no bugs. But that's really all they are at fault for in this scenario. In this scenario, it seems like Ghostlight is the one who dropped the ball the most, yet there have been numerous people in this thread acting as if the majority of the blame belongs to Atlus rather than Ghostlight. Someone doing a bad job Vs. someone who could have done a better job if they worked on it. It's pretty clear that the people who actually worked on the game that ended up like this are more at fault here.

duckroll

I'm not quite sure you are taking my posts the right way. I'm not saying that Atlus can't be expected to take shit for not having a European branch, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that the blame can be pointed at Atlus for another company's screw up. Yes, if there was a European Atlus branch the game probably would have been released earlier with less/no bugs. But that's really all they are at fault for in this scenario. In this scenario, it seems like Ghostlight is the one who dropped the ball the most, yet there have been numerous people in this thread acting as if the majority of the blame belongs to Atlus rather than Ghostlight. Someone doing a bad job Vs. someone who could have done a better job if they worked on it. It's pretty clear that the people who actually worked on the game that ended up like this are more at fault here.

You seem to be talking to yourself regarding this issue though. Your first post in the thread is a comment that you don't understand why "everyone seems to think Atlus is to blame" for this. But reading the actual thread will indicate that there is a grand total of ONE person who actually blames Atlus for the actual problem without any good reason, and he was responded to accordingly by numerous people. Everyone else is split into people who:

a) want Atlus to open a European branch because they don't want to suffer anymore.

b) have reason to believe that while Ghostlight is publishing the game in Europe, the localization programming was still handled by Atlus Japan, which means they could have messed it up either because they didn't care or because it was a rush job before their programmers moved on to another project.

So all you've done in this thread is to come in to whine about people supposedly blaming the wrong company, when it is far from the case.

Domstercool

EOIV is Nintendo, unless I missed a detail in the announcement?

I don't think it is. I believe they announced it on a Nintendo Direct, but it is being handled by Nippon Ichi?

EOIV.png

That is Australia, couldn't find a EU one.

Reknoc

Huh weird, I assumed since they announced it on Nintendo Direct they were bringing it over. NISA Europe's twitter has been completely silent on it as well.

faridmon

I don't know about this gamer, but al the games I have bought from them seemed to be fine and in excellent state. i have bought a lot of collectors edition games for their PSP games and their costumer service were top notch.
Hope this game doesn't damage their reputation, because their PSP support was solid to say the least.

NotLiquid

Persona 4 Golden was pure Nippon Ichi, was it not?

I believe they are the only ones on Etrian Odyssey IV too?

I wouldn't put it passed NISA and Atlus if P4G was just a case of cutting out the middle man, merely recertifying the game and shipping it out as is considering the platform.

Working with Atlus seems like a pain. A Vita exclusive being handled by a company more dilligent than Atlus is one hell of a low hanging fruit.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
As I said in the SMT IV thread: it's about time for Atlus to establish a european office if they expect to be taken serious over here.

Omikaru

I think the likelihood of us getting an Atlus Europe office gets smaller each day as we move closer to a DD future.

The likely scenario is that Atlus USA handles European certification and release of digital-only games once third parties aren't needed for manufacturing and distribution. Right now they'd be missing a whole lot of customers by going digital only, but I think in the future that won't be the case.

Ultimately, however, whilst Atlus have fucked up, and Ghostlight have fucked up, I apportion most of the blame on Nintendo. Their regressive policy on region locking is completely pointless, and at least in this scenario PAL players would've had a not broken option 18 months ago. I've never seen mass importing of a product (to the point that it devastates another region's bottom line on that game) as a problem -- merely something that is sometimes seen as "necessary" for hardcore fans of certain series or companies -- and unfairly punishes enthusiastic niche gamers on both sides of the pond.

redcrayon

Honest question:

Are you:
a) European
b) An Atlus fan
c) All of the above
?

This wasn't aimed at me, but I'm both European and an Atlus fan and completely understand why they don't want to open a branch here. 'Because I want them to even if it isn't financially viable for them' isn't a valid answer.

If I started my own business and a few US customers wanted me to open an office over there, rewriting everything especially for them at a huge cost in office space and staff (plus all the invisable costs and taxes of running a small-ish business) when that would cost me almost the entirety of any profit I might make to do so while also being hugely risky, I wouldn't bother either. Better to keep on having moderate success locally than to over stretch in uncertain times.

It might be worth them starting a team at one of their existing offices specialising in global digital publishing, however, now that eShop and PSN have made physical releases no longer mandatory.

Top Bottom