• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third |OT| A game made of liquor with perfect bald man. He is cool.

Peff

The multiplayer works well, better than the single player for sure, at least for me. Problem is that there aren't too mich people. But, well, it' 2 am here in Europe and the game arrives tomorrow lol I hope during the weekend ot gets better.

It seems everybody's playing team battle. The other modes are basically empty, which is a shame, but yeah, multiplayer is definitely the meat and potatoes of the game.

Revven

It seems everybody's playing team battle. The other modes are basically empty, which is a shame, but yeah, multiplayer is definitely the meat and potatoes of the game.

Speaking of MP, can you set up your own lobbies with friends?

Its still holds this weird charm over me lol...I might just have to buy when it gets cheaper. Glad to see that the multiplayer is as zany as it was purported to be.

Peff

Speaking of MP, can you set up your own lobbies with friends?

Lemme check.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it? You can seemingly set friends as favourite players, but not private rooms as far as i can tell. Maybe once you unlock the siege/clan stuff.

Kikorin

Played for 2 hours and half this night, I'm having a lot of fun to be honest. One thing that I love is that I can play on the controller. For now I've reached level 9, I've also created a clan and I called it "ItalianFTW!" because I think I'm the first (and I hope not the only one) italian's Devil's Third player XD

Kid Ying

There is something ironic on the fact that the multiplayer is the saving grace for some and its the part that wasn't direct by Itagaki. He only directed the single player mode. The MP was directed by Daisuke Hiroyomi.

Also, i don't know why i expected more, but winning the game on hard difficulty gives you nothing and the game gets much more frustrating. Don't waste your time with it

I'm enjoying it a so far. The seamless transition between guns and melee combat makes it a bit different to everything else out there. It's super cheesy, pretty janky, and fun. Add me if you want someone else to play with on multiplayer, my NNID is smashballtaz.

Spades

OK, so I started playing MP with the Pro Controller last night and found it instantly more playable.

Is there a GAF clan or anything?

I would have bought this blindly at a lower price tag but 60€??? What was Nintendo thinking? It's unjustifiable when I bought Splatoon and Yoshi at launch for 36/37€ each. It's not even localized in euro languages.

Played for 2 hours and half this night, I'm having a lot of fun to be honest. One thing that I love is that I can play on the controller. For now I've reached level 9, I've also created a clan and I called it "ItalianFTW!" because I think I'm the first (and I hope not the only one) italian's Devil's Third player XD

Nice party yesterday lol.

I really wanna pick up this piece of shit at some point but I'm afraid it'll disappear before the price crashes.

Man I do not want to pay full price for this.

Thanks OT, I'm waiting for my copy to arrive. NID is PlayerReady if anyone wants to add me. Will be getting my copy next week, hopefully sooner!

Spades

A reminder for those in the UK who want to buy the game for a lower price: SimplyGames are currently selling for around £26.

R.D.Blax

Do the game have gyro control ? I have been spoiled by Splatoon and COD, and I don't know if I can ever come back to simple dual stick control

microtransactions are mentioned right at the top, review thread is linked at the bottom (click on the box arts). plus, seriously, don't try to tell me that the game's supposed quality is a secret to anyone at this point. not really feeling your grumpiness.
How would we know the box art is a link to the review thread?
I only realised because I tried to find the review thread linking me to this post.

TheMoon

baldman96s7a.jpg

copy get!

OK, so I started playing MP with the Pro Controller last night and found it instantly more playable.

Is there a GAF clan or anything?

There isn't yet. Someone needs to make it - I would, but I don't think I'm that active around GAF or playing online in general to do so. But if someone would kindly go ahead I'll join :p

What weapons are people feeling online?

I lost my primary weapon somehow, so I spent most of my time with my secondary (P90) and the Katana. Regularly getting ~30 kills per match in free-for-all. I've noticed people somehow doing leaping jumps with swords though, really want to know which weapon that is. They really need a decent training mode before you buy the weapons. Having a static target isn't useul enough to get a feel, especially trying to run & jump & dash with the melee weapons

So i've played a bit of the single player
(Up to Japan)

Wow this game blows. It sucks because there is so much potential in the concept. My biggest problem is with the waste of a mechanic that is the melee combat, every weapon has basic combos that have no satisfying punch to them, every single enemy feels like your fighting the big pink demons in Ninja Gaiden 2 you just feel like you're rubbing some feather duster against them. The guns are the opposite, overpowered with awful control and feel, shooting them is the most ungratfying feeling and aiming them is an absolute hassle with stick (I know you can use Mouse and Keyboard but I don't have the means to do so) its just not sensitive enough to the point where every single stick press sends you too far over the target. The level design is awful with the most bland, colorless, uninspired levels to run around in. The games difficulty is too easy most of the time with the only deaths being cheap either one hit kill deaths or getting attacked from off screen. The bosses are just plain shit, they are super easy all being beat by them not being balanced to fight at range or even close up (I beat the second boss by running in circles hitting when he stopped using the same attack). Overall this game so far is a total waste of time and of a great concept I pretty much agree dead on with the threes. (At least for single player but with how the game feels I don't think multiplayer will fair any better).

Maybe the people below Itagaki were the real talent?

(I'll post again when I finish the single player and play the multiplayer)

(Forgot to say it also runs like shit, looks like shit, the music is shit and the voice acting is shit, overall rating: shit)

I'm having fun with this, it's like a glorious b-movie or something. Would it have gotten as much slack if it was made by the likes of Grasshopper I wonder.

Also a weird moment, I watched Good Kill yesterday night, and the first scene in the game when I started playing today came straight out of that movie, including the Vegas strip.

Broritos

The NA release date sucks but hopefully it causes an influx of new players online when it finally comes out.

As long as there's a dedicated community, the online in this game will be fine.

I still play Neotokyo and that game has a max of about 20-50 people worldwide. I feel like something similar will happen with Devil's Third.

Exile20

The clan system sounds really cool. Do you actually pay other players?

Can anyone explain the clan system in more detail? or impressions?

Kikorin

The clan system sounds really cool. Do you actually pay other players?

Can anyone explain the clan system in more detail? or impressions?

I've created my clan yesterday (we are only in 2 for now asd). You can create it choosing a name, a message to recruit new players and a logo, that you can create using a 10 layers "program" with pre-made images (at start you have only few simbols, but you can purchase a lot more).

At start you can have 10 people in your clan, but you can pay to unlock spaces for more members. Player that create clan is general and he can choose the role of other players, like captain, ecc... Your clan is rewarded with money every 30 mins (if i remember well) and you can select what percentage of these money go to your clan members. You can also select how much pay everyone that join the clan.
All players can make his fortress (there are a lot of buildings that you can purchase), and there's a fortress for the clan too. You can attack other clans or defend from them, and the fortress is a key factor in this, bur I've not yet tried, so I don't know well how it works.

Players, after level 5, can choose to join a clan, become mercenary (he can play for other clans and receive money, but they are not part of the clans) or create a new clan. You can select to accept all players or you have the control to accept only who you want.

I think is all I've understand of the clan system for now, sorry if is not well wtitten, but I'm not english and I've no time to correct all with google translate now XD

parkinho

Played this for about 90 minutes last night and I'm not gonna lie - I enjoyed it! Controlling Ivan was pleasantly responsive with the sliding and climbing mechanics providing a satisfying feel to traversal, plus the seamless transition between melee combat and gun play brings something unique to the table. Sure, we're not talking Vanquish x Bayonetta here but I do applaud Devil's Third for mixing things up a bit.

Multiplayer in particular was a lot of fun and providing enough folk stick with it I can see the online mode eating up a lot of hours. Certainly WiiU owners are hardly spoiled for choice so I do hope it can build a dedicated pool of players.

Exile20

I've created my clan yesterday (we are only in 2 for now asd). You can create it choosing a name, a message to recruit new players and a logo, that you can create using a 10 layers "program" with pre-made images (at start you have only few simbols, but you can purchase a lot more).

At start you can have 10 people in your clan, but you can pay to unlock spaces for more members. Player that create clan is general and he can choose the role of other players, like captain, ecc... Your clan is rewarded with money every 30 mins (if i remember well) and you can select what percentage of these money go to your clan members. You can also select how much pay everyone that join the clan.
All players can make his fortress (there are a lot of buildings that you can purchase), and there's a fortress for the clan too. You can attack other clans or defend from them, and the fortress is a key factor in this, bur I've not yet tried, so I don't know well how it works.

Players, after level 5, can choose to join a clan, become mercenary (he can play for other clans and receive money, but they are not part of the clans) or create a new clan. You can select to accept all players or you have the control to accept only who you want.

I think is all I've understand of the clan system for now, sorry if is not well wtitten, but I'm not english and I've no time to correct all with google translate now XD

Thanks so much, I understood everything you said so you did a great job.

Spades

I created a clan called GAF if people want to join. It's in the Grand Canyon area; I'm not sure if that makes a difference. You should just be able to search for GAF and join the clan when you hit level 5.

Could you update the OP if people start joining?

I created a clan called GAF if people want to join. It's in the Grand Canyon area; I'm not sure if that makes a difference. You should just be able to search for GAF and join the clan when you hit level 5.

Could you update the OP if people start joining?

I'll join later this evening - player name is Mara.

Ranked 4th now on the free-for-all leaderboards, and literally only just discovered how to use grenades :p The eratic framerate coupled with the twitchy aiming is really screwing me over in the heat of things :/

NolbertoS

So IGN gave it a really bad score. Is it as awful as people say?? I'll buy it anyway, just so I can support Itagaki getting more games out West. Hopefully his next game doesn't bomb as bad.

So IGN gave it a really bad score. Is it as awful as people say?? I'll buy it anyway, just so I can support Itagaki getting more games out West. Hopefully his next game doesn't bomb as bad.

I get the impression that if they'd held back the review copies until the multiplayer servers went public, its overall score would have been atleast a couple of points higher - most of the reviews focus on the single player, though obviously its lasting value is in multiplayer. Which thankfully doesn't suck.

Top Bottom