• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Assassin's Creed Origins Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro vs PC graphic Comparison

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
At most times xbox one x have a 50%-90% resolution increase over the pro damn
You know a 90% increase would be over 4k right? 1440p vs 1700p is not even a 30% increase?
Or did I miss read something?
Edit maybe horizontal resolution?
Still don't sound right though

You know a 90% increase would be over 4k right? 1440p vs 1700p is not even a 30% increase?

total pixel count, not vertical or horizontal width

900p is low and looks blurier/murkier or whatever. It's obviously less sharp. While 1440p and above isn't that visibly different and obvious in comparison.

Yeah Ok..

The narrative changes depending on which side of the power gulf you're on.

Last gen was 720p(360) and 640p(PS3) Xbox fans said the difference was huge and PS3 fans said it was imperceptible.

Beginning this gen. 900p vs 1080p. Xbox fans say imperceptible, PS3 fans say huge difference.

Now it's a 40% or more improvement in XBox's favor. XBox fans say it's huge. Sony fans say it's imperceptible.

Round and round we go.

Really good points that is translating into tangible benefits for this game. I wonder if it'll continue to be this way for other games moving forward as sort of the baseline.

Anycase up to 80-90% more pixels vs pro at certain points in game is just staggering. Super well designed machine.

It’s not staggering at all

We are at the point of diminishing returns. Just look at side by side comparisons

sun-drop

PC minded gamers might be all about res boosts, but above and beyond what PS4 pro offers ..it's going to take a LOT more than that to translate to any perceivable difference joe ave is going to contribute to the console over say the TV it's playing on.

next gen means geometry boosts. not exclusively ..but it's required.

so yeah..waiting for the real reset

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah Ok..

The narrative changes depending on which side of the power gulf you're on.

Last gen was 720p(360) and 640p(PS3) Xbox fans said the difference was huge and PS3 fans said it was imperceptible.

Beginning this gen. 900p vs 1080p. Xbox fans say imperceptible, PS3 fans say huge difference.

Now it's a 40% or more improvement in XBox's favor. XBox fans say it's huge. Sony fans say it's imperceptible.

Round and round we go.

Welcome to console wars! Where everything is made up and resolution doesn't matter!

mario_O

This argument is diminishing.

Games are going to look a bit sharper on the X. Sure. But is it worth it to spend 500 euros for the extra clarity? It's a good upgrade for xbox1 original owners but not for Pro owners. And imo too late, next gen is around the corner. Add to that the lack of first party titles and it really isnt a good idea to buy this console. I would wait for Xbox Two.

goonergaz

Games are going to look a bit sharper on the X. Sure. But is it worth it to spend 500 euros for the extra clarity? It's a good upgrade for xbox1 original owners but not for Pro owners. And imo too late, next gen is around the corner. Add to that the lack of first party titles and it really isnt a good idea to buy this console. I would wait for Xbox Two.

The problem is you really need a decent, massive HDR 4K TV to see the difference (especially between Pro and X). Seriously, I have a 55" 1080p TV and switch between Performance and details on games like Horizon and Tomb Raider and each time I settle on performance because unless I stop playing an pay really close attention I can't see the difference.

Diminishing returns is true in regards to how easy it is to see - last gen in many ways the smaller differences were easier to spot.

Space_nut

Games like Shadow of War and ROTTR and many others show significant upgrades over pro :) 4k assets, huge increase in res and IQ, and better graphical effects. Clearly not just extra clarity ;)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

As someone who owns both it's more than a bit. You're down playing it massively.

There's zero evidence that next gen is "right around the corner." Zero.

Journey

Banned
As someone who owns both it's more than a bit. You're down playing it massively.

There's zero evidence that next gen is "right around the corner." Zero.

Seriously, that's the equivalent of Xbox and GameCube launching and people saying what's the point, PS3 is around the corner lol.

The Pro and X launches are indicative that next gen is a lot farther away, the whole point of a mid gen refresh is to extend the generation, so mid gen means we're just half way.

You want to wait until 2020 or 2021? then suit yourself, but don't try to diminish what's available today.

goonergaz

Seriously, that's the equivalent of Xbox and GameCube launching and people saying what's the point, PS3 is around the corner lol.

Lol, it's nothing like that. Xbox and Gamecube released around 1year to 18 months after PS2 and 5 years before PS3 and on top of that both had exclusives.

XBOX has neither of those advantages.

The Pro and X launches are indicative that next gen is a lot farther away, the whole point of a mid gen refresh is to extend the generation, so mid gen means we're just half way.

Based on what evidence? Both Sony and MS marketed this as a premium product, Sony specifically stating they wanted to stop people migrating to PC because for the last 2/3 years of a generation games start to struggle because the gap to PC is so large. If Sony was indicating Pro was mid gen then PS5 will be out in 2019.

You want to wait until 2020 or 2021? then suit yourself, but don't try to diminish what's available today.

Each to their own, this is a great upgrade for XBO owners who can afford it, Pro owners with a TV decent enough who can afford it and don't mind having 2 decent consoles to support or are prepared to 'migrate' which will mean losing some content and (of course) more expense.

But for most people outside XBO owners it's quite a difficult choice to jump ship mid gen, too much is already invested and many may be waiting for some of the Sony exclusives like LoU2 and be prepared to sacrifice the improvements (like last gen when all games were better on 360 but people still bought PS3).

But for most people outside XBO owners it's quite a difficult choice to jump ship mid gen, too much is already invested and many may be waiting for some of the Sony exclusives like LoU2 and be prepared to sacrifice the improvements (like last gen when all games were better on 360 but people still bought PS3).

What is this jump ship you speak of? We have along ways to go yet and there is a lot of new consumers out there to grab, so stop acting like everyone is already invested.

goonergaz

What is this jump ship you speak of? We have along ways to go yet and there is a lot of new consumers out there to grab, so stop acting like everyone is already invested.

I'm sorry, I bow to your superior knowledge of all these new customers who didn't buy consoles before but will suddenly drop £450 on a mid-gen console.

Please elaborate on these new customers you speak of.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Good Lord the mental gymnastics people play in console wars.

2 years for the ps5 is "just around the corner." And there is zero evidence to support its coming in 2019.

40 percent isn't a a big gap in gpu power. 4 more gigs of RAM won't make a huge difference

Games look "slightly" sharper.

I'm waiting for the people that said the one X can't hit 4k with that amount of GPU power to come back

I'm sorry, I bow to your superior knowledge of all these new customers who didn't buy consoles before but will suddenly drop £450 on a mid-gen console.

Please elaborate on these new customers you speak of.

You're right, the Pro and XBox One X are only for existing PS4 and Xbox One owners repsectfully and any future owner who doesn't have a PS4 or Xbox One will buy the vanilla systems first then upgrade, so sorry for not following your own parameters.

goonergaz

Good Lord the mental gymnastics people play in console wars.

2 years for the ps5 is "just around the corner." And there is zero evidence to support its coming in 2019.

40 percent isn't a a big gap in gpu power. 4 more gigs of RAM won't make a huge difference

Games look "slightly" sharper.

I'm waiting for the people that said the one X can't hit 4k with that amount of GPU power to come back

To be fair I think the point is more 2/3 years until next gen? I'm not paying £450 for a machine that'll be king for such a short time. And WRT 4K, not all games are hitting 4K and dynamic resolution is in play (or am I missing something?). The real kicker here (for me) is that I really wish they'd improved the CPU - especially at this price point, we would really be looking at a 'almost next gen' console then (IMHO).

You're right, the Pro and XBox One X are only for existing PS4 and Xbox One owners repsectfully and any future owner who doesn't have a PS4 or Xbox One will buy the vanilla systems first then upgrade, so sorry for not following your own parameters.

Whilst I never said that, you said that "there is a lot of new consumers out there to grab", I'm interested to hear who hasn't invested in XBO or PS4 that would invest in XBOX? I'd wager a very small number of people. This console is aimed at the Xbox die-hards who felt they were kicked in the balls by MS when XBO came out...there's no secret market of buyers who were waiting on this product to finally jump into console gaming.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
To be fair I think the point is more 2/3 years until next gen? I'm not paying £450 for a machine that'll be king for such a short time. And WRT 4K, not all games are hitting 4K and dynamic resolution is in play (or am I missing something?). The real kicker here (for me) is that I really wish they'd improved the CPU - especially at this price point, we would really be looking at a 'almost next gen' console then (IMHO).

Whilst I never said that, you said that "there is a lot of new consumers out there to grab", I'm interested to hear who hasn't invested in XBO or PS4 that would invest in XBOX? I'd wager a very small number of people. This console is aimed at the Xbox die-hards who felt they were kicked in the balls by MS when XBO came out...there's no secret market of buyers who were waiting on this product to finally jump into console gaming.

I get what you are saying but 2/3 years is 30 percent of a generation. It's not a small amount of time. Previous generations used to be 3/4 years.

And again there is ZERO evidence to when next gen will start. Zero.

And in terms of natve 4k. There's a lot of them that hit nativ 4k as well as some that use dynamic res.

Gears 4
Sahdow of war
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Rise of the tomb raider

All of those games hit Native 4k. No compromises.

Games like Creed Origins and Halo 5 all hit native 4k but will adjust on the fly.

There were people that SWORE xbox x couldn't hit native 4k and that the difference between 1440p and 2160p was insignificant and there wouldn't be a difference in IQ.

Every argument thrown at the X has failed. So now people are trying to spin it an say...wellllll ps5 is right aorund the corner....sooooo, yet those people went out and bought a PS4 pro with ps5 being "right around the corner."

goonergaz

I get what you are saying but 2/3 years is 30 percent of a generation. It's not a small amount of time. Previous generations used to be 3/4 years.

And in terms of natve 4k. There's a lot of them that hit nativ 4k as well as some that use dynamic res.

Gears 4
Sahdow of war
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Rise of the tomb raider

Games like Creed Origins and Halo 5 all hit native 4k but will adjust on the fly.

There were people that SWORE xbox x couldn't hit native 4k and that the difference between 1440p and 2160p was insignificant and there wouldn't be a difference in IQ.

Every argument thrown at the X has failed. So now people are trying to spin it an say...wellllll ps5 is right aorund the corner....sooooo, yet those people went out and bought a PS4 pro with ps5 being "right around the corner."

I will openly admit the XBOX seems to be performing better than I expected, but the real issue is diminishing returns in the way that you need the TV to see it which means by the time 4K had penetrated a good % of homes then we will be (at least) talking about next gen.

WRT next gen, it has to come sooner rather than later - the CPUs in these machines are holding them back from being true next gen, so the logic is that is around 2/3 years the tech will be around to make that 'next gen jump'.

BTW, I'm not sure any generation was only 3/4 years!? lol Xbox had a 4 year to begin with but that's as short as I can think and that's because they piggy-backed off Sony for X360

Bustanen

Gears 4
Sahdow of war
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Rise of the tomb raider

IsUy242.gif

Who the hell said the X couldn't hit 4K when there are dozens of native 4K games even on the Pro? Most games on the X are CBR or dynamic, like the Pro.

Next gen starts when AMD gets their chips to 7nm, likely 2019-2020.

I clearly remember Xbox fans jizzing their pants with the reveal and expecting Ryzen and 60fps games ;)

Majority of sales actually happens when the prices dip below $200. There is still a lot of new customers out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 goes over 100 million when all is said and done. You already openly admitted the Xbox X is doing better than you expected so your whole angle of "it's only for diehard Xbox fans" sounds like you have issues with it to begin with.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I will openly admit the XBOX seems to be performing better than I expected, but the real issue is diminishing returns in the way that you need the TV to see it which means by the time 4K had penetrated a good % of homes then we will be (at least) talking about next gen.

WRT next gen, it has to come sooner rather than later - the CPUs in these machines are holding them back from being true next gen, so the logic is that is around 2/3 years the tech will be around to make that 'next gen jump'.

BTW, I'm not sure any generation was only 3/4 years!? lol Xbox had a 4 year to begin with but that's as short as I can think and that's because they piggy-backed off Sony for X360

With software level super sampling on every enhanced game you will see better visuals. Just check out the OT for the One X and people with 1080 sets are extremely happy with the jump. So saying you need a 4k tv isn't quite accurate.

With the jump in tech I completely understand why people are staying that's when next gen will start but there is still zero evidence thats when Sony and Microsoft are planning. Yes the tech will be there but will it be ready from a cost perspective? Nobody knows.

I was referring to a generation would be around 3-4 years before next hardware was talked about. That's my bad.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
IsUy242.gif

Who the hell said the X couldn't hit 4K when there are dozens of native 4K games even on the Pro? Most games on the X are CBR or dynamic, like the Pro.

Next gen starts when AMD gets their chips to 7nm, likely 2019-2020.

I clearly remember Xbox fans jizzing their pants with the reveal and expecting Ryzen and 60fps games ;)

I wasnt in the ryzen squad but I was in the $399 club.

If you were here during e3 time and after the word here was DOA, can't hit 4k. Mark Cerny said you need 8 TFs. People were ridiculed for thinking it was enough power to hit 4k.

Maybe those people were part of the mass exodus?

Why do cut scenes always dip below 30 or 60 fps when the actual game that is doing more is achieving closer to target frame rate. Shouldn't cut scenes be playing solid 30 or 60 fps as they are just playing a scene, no A.I or game logic.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why do cut scenes always dip below 30 or 60 fps when the actual game that is doing more is achieving closer to target frame rate. Shouldn't cut scenes be playing solid 30 or 60 fps as they are just playing a scene, no A.I or game logic.

That's a good question. Since they are in engine they are being rendered in real time and Maybe they just don't have time to polish them up as much.

rokkerkory

Coming from base xbox one, hell yes it's worth it on top of all the other things the machine can do. Life's short, why wait.

goonergaz

Majority of sales actually happens when the prices dip below $200. There is still a lot of new customers out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 goes over 100 million when all is said and done.

Well yes, which is why the XBOX sales will not be going to many new customers...like I said

You already openly admitted the Xbox X is doing better than you expected so your whole angle of "it's only for diehard Xbox fans" sounds like you have issues with it to begin with.

Performance wise, not sales wise. There's no shortages so maybe it's only doing ok? Who knows - too early to tell, but I expect a strong start to sales which is when all the die hand fans are buying it and replacing their old units. Once that's over I expect sales to slow considerably.

With software level super sampling on every enhanced game you will see better visuals. Just check out the OT for the One X and people with 1080 sets are extremely happy with the jump. So saying you need a 4k tv isn't quite accurate.

What else did you expect from the OT? People saying it was a waste of money!? I know of someone with a 4K TV who isn't happy so...

I wasnt in the ryzen squad but I was in the $399 club.

If you were here during e3 time and after the word here was DOA, can't hit 4k. Mark Cerny said you need 8 TFs. People were ridiculed for thinking it was enough power to hit 4k.

Maybe those people were part of the mass exodus?

Eh? Pro can do 4K and there's plenty of non full native 4K games on X (this is one). I recall there were a slew of people that thought this would do 4K60 but the only people saying it wouldn't do 4K were those saying that there would have to be cutbacks to hit it. I was in that camp, and I admit it's running better than I expected however It's too early to tell how well X will do with games going forward, games that were XBO were targeting running on a lower spec machine are one thing, what will be interesting is how Battlefront 2, COD and other titles run.

Again, there's no doubt this is a great machine - especially for XBO owners with the cash to upgrade, but outside that there's lot's of factors to take into consideration.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What else did you expect from the OT? People saying it was a waste of money!? I know of someone with a 4K TV who isn't happy so...

Eh? Pro can do 4K and there's plenty of non full native 4K games on X (this is one). I recall there were a slew of people that thought this would do 4K60 but the only people saying it wouldn't do 4K were those saying that there would have to be cutbacks to hit it. I was in that camp, and I admit it's running better than I expected however It's too early to tell how well X will do with games going forward, games that were XBO were targeting running on a lower spec machine are one thing, what will be interesting is how Battlefront 2, COD and other titles run.

Again, there's no doubt this is a great machine - especially for XBO owners with the cash to upgrade, but outside that there's lot's of factors to take into consideration.

I'm not sure what your point is that you know someone with a 4k tv that isn't happy? All I said was that the notion that you need a 4ktv to take advantage isn't true. And there are people in OTs that aren't happy all the time.

My point is there are AAA games hitting native 4k which I believe the PS4 pro hasn't done in the AAA space minus sports games and I think ROTR. I believe there are a few CBR games though.

But at this point we arguing semantics and he said she said from neogaf which will get nobody anywhere.

My whole point was (not you included) the things that people say to down play the box they didn't choose to justify to themselves they own the best box is crazy.

Pjsprojects

That's a good question. Since they are in engine they are being rendered in real time and Maybe they just don't have time to polish them up as much.

Could it be that cut scenes hide loading times? If so maybe loading content in at the same time as running the scene means hard drive access is at a premium.

Peterc

Why do we call a console 4k like when it doesn't deliver 4k. It's like calling a nes a 3d experience. I'm a bit disappointed for those false marketing. It will of course have pretty gfx.

Why do we call a console 4k like when it doesn't deliver 4k. It's like calling a nes a 3d experience. I'm a bit disappointed for those false marketing. It will of course have pretty gfx.

Marketing a console as "almost-4K" doesn't sound good. Besides like many people have already pointed out plenty games hit 4K on xbx and even ps4 pro

mario_O

Marketing a console as "almost-4K" doesn't sound good. Besides like many people have already pointed out plenty games hit 4K on xbx and even ps4 pro

But Microsoft marketed their console as a "True 4K machine", and that's misleading to say the least. It wont hit 4K in most -or all- third party AAA games.

goonergaz

But Microsoft marketed their console as a "True 4K machine", and that's misleading to say the least. It wont hit 4K in most -or all- third party AAA games.

And this might be where members here started going against the idea this machine could do 4K (in the way MS was implying).

I seem to recall that being the case and it would also put into some context what Cernysaid about needing 4K (he meant for a true 4K experience).

suicuique

Neo Member

1440p vs 1700p is a 39% increase in number of Pixels rendered.
2160p vs 1440p is a 125% increase.

thelastword

Banned
I have a 1070 PC and a PS4 pro, I can't see the difference so you certainly won't see any difference with any inbetween machine like Xbox One X. It's called diminishing returns.

Unless you've got a huge screen you gain nothing over 1440p, your eyes just can't see anymore, dimishing returns have kicked in and everything looks great now.

60 fps matters though, and that's the target every console should reach. No action game should be 30 fps. That's the last big reason to play your games on PC.
I think there is a nice difference between 1440p to 4k, it might not be as massive as 720p to 1080p, but it is there. Though, what we're seeing here is pretty much 1440p vs 1700p on average, so the difference is not that stark...I think they look pretty close going by the vid tbh.....

Still though, there's still merit in what you're saying as far as perception goes, 1440p looks great anbd so does 4k. i have a 1440p PC monitor and a 4k Panel and games and content look pretty sharp and amazing on both. Most of the times it's what graphcial effects the devs choose to use, perhaps the game mood and setting they're trying to set. Halo 5 for. e,g. looks very sharp and yet it's not full on native 4k, but there are native 4k games which look less sharp because of their effects pipeline, so there's more to the conversation there........

As someome who owns a 1080ti too, i have to say i feel true 4k is slightly overrated, especially for people who sit and watch on a averaget.v. from reasonable viewing distances.

It's definitely more noticeable for someone who is sat very close to their monitor.

I also think "all the bells and whistles" often come at an expense that's not really that tangible when playing a game.

Dont get me wrong those effects are great and are a necessary part of evolution of visuals, but often the consoles are striking a bloody good balance imo.

As someome who doesnt play first person shooters online any more. I'd happily play most games at cbr 4k and save the resources for better frame rates and even happily cut back on highest settings for one below in most cases
It's something I've always said, I would take 4k CBR on PRO over 1440p or dynamic rez with the ceiling being 1584p....If MS wants to go the route of non-cb solutions that's fine, so 1700-1800p on XBONEX with 4k CB on PRO would have been a fine comparison indeed.

They actually stated 1728p - 2016p near the beginning of the video.
Yes, it never gets to 2160p and it averages around 1700p on XBONEX whilst the Pro averages around 1440p.

On the flip, I think it's a bit disingenous for people to use the lowest rez on PRO against the highest rez possible on XBONEX as a form of disparity....There is no way PRO would be at it's lowest of 1350p and the XBONEX would be at it's highest of 2016p, they would both be at their highest or lowest at certain taxing and non taxing areas simultaneoulsy, that's how DR works....

Top Bottom