• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

Mabufu

Banned
Microsoft's PR marketing must be doing a terrific job fooling everybody, just like Sega with their "Blast Processing" shit back in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Super Nintendo/Super Famicon days.
Blast Processing was not shit. It actually was a thing on the hardware architechture that allowed some really great optimizations, just so you know.

wow this is impressive, do we think this is the dx12 update that has given the xbox one the sudden burst of power?

Nope.

Games have to be developed specifically for dx12 to take advantage of dx12. Dx12 hasn't been released to dev that we know of.

Most likely reason is simply a bad port, or

Bad port and better ms dev tools.

Either way, likely bad port

KainXVIII

Bad port - you mean port from DX11(12?) to opengl renderer or what?
I think that there is something wrong with ps4 dev tools, ice team need to pull shit together.

TBH they probably built it on PC, did a quick and easy XB1 port due to DX11 being shared on both platforms, and then spent equal amount of time porting it to PS4, whose API (don't remember the name) requires more work to get it up an running, even if more powerful hardware means less optimization time (for a well-made game).

R_Deckard

wow this is impressive, do we think this is the dx12 update that has given the xbox one the sudden burst of power?

My golly I think your right...Maybe Capcom have an early lead on this and now we are seeing the fruits of MS labour.

It is a slippery slope from here for the PS4 as the gap narrows and then, as here widens in the other direction.

Edit:- I also think the DX12 power is showing with the AF work, that full on 16x come at a heavy price!

thelastword

Banned
I actually had forgotten about the extra frames of lag. That does make it useless for tournament play. Aside from that I really think it's still a solid version. The important thing is that it ran at 60 fps and still looked great. The 360 version may have been a better but it didn't feel like a lazy release on PS3. If not for the lag I would say it's a fantastic port. We know damn well that PS3 was a more difficult platform to work on (unlike PS4). Compared to your average PS3 port it was pretty great.
No no, I agree. I'm not saying it's a bayonetta or anything close to RE-R2, but it is worse, and there's a trend of Capcom not going the second mile for quality anymore.

Almost all other fighting games was better played on a PS3 for the controller alone and had no technical issues like the Capcom games had. No input lag in Blazeblue, Persona, Skullgirls, Tekken etc. Capcom could not fix the input lag issue across 4 iterations of SF4 on PS3, that's saying something. The only reason I'm not worried about games like USF4 and SFV on PS4 is because Sony is either co-developing or overseering.

Take RE4-HD on the PS3/360. That game should have been 720p 60fps with 2x MSAA at the least, instead, we got a 30fps port with no noticeable upgrade in textures and aliasing galore. I'm surprised that they haven't ported RE4 Ultimate to the PS4/XBONE yet, even then there's a gaffer doing some awesome work on upgrading all textures etc..If one man can do this, surely a team at Capcom could do this at a much faster rate.

Ushay

How in the hell is a horrible PS4 port good news for XB1 owners? The game clearly wasn't optimized much at all on any platform, especially so on the PS4. How is that good for anyone? Console Warz bullshit.

I said good for X1 owners, ie they get a well performing game. What does that have to do with PS4? Did I say 'OMGZSONYISSCREWED!' .. No I didn't. If anything I try to make a point the PS4 version got little attention.

Nope.

Games have to be developed specifically for dx12 to take advantage of dx12. Dx12 hasn't been released to dev that we know of.

Most likely reason is simply a bad port, or

Bad port and better ms dev tools.

Either way, likely bad port

Exactly! XB1 was probably the lead platform for this one.

Virtually every other game is better on PS4. This is merely a fluke.

Regardless, I may consider picking up the XB1 version.

Top Bottom