• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF interview] The making of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition + Some PC info

Pjsprojects

At this point it must have been delayed until Q1 2016.

Nice that another game is taking advantage of async compute.

Not any weirder than any other game running at 60fps.
It looks magnificent, the experience is drastically better imo.

The async compute bit got my attention, how will Nvidea cards fare? With 4k in mind.

Kezen

Banned
The async compute bit got my attention, how will Nvidea cards fare? With 4k in mind.
Not as good as GCN cards I would imagine, but very well nonetheless. Async compute won't prevent excellent performance on Geforce hardware, but will make games shine more on Radeon 7000 and up.

Nzyme32

Mike Rayner : We decided 30fps for campaign and 60fps for multiplayer very early on as a design decision and not a technical limitation. The original was a visual showcase for Xbox 360 and we wanted to continue that on Xbox One by significantly updating the campaign visuals at 1080p while also keeping a more consistent 30fps frame-rate than the original. Running the campaign at 60fps is doable, it just doesn't look nearly as good as the 30fps version.

We'll see the PC version at higher framerate and then decide, but I'd put money on this not being the case because I have yet to come across a game where going 60+fps has been bad (unless the game literally breaks because they bound physics or something else to 30fps and don't allow upwards)

Durante

We'll see the PC version at higher framerate and then decide, but I'd put money on this not being the case because I have yet to come across a game where going 60+fps has been bad (unless the game literally breaks because they bound physics or something else to 30fps and don't allow upwards)
I think his point was simply that if you were to run the campaign at 60 FPS on console it wouldn't look nearly as good. As in, the visual cutbacks necessary outweigh the improvement in smoothness.

It's a reasonable stance IMHO, though it disregards the gameplay improvements from higher framerates. Then again, that is much less pronounced on controllers than with KB/M.

Mind giving a ELI5? I'm not too knowledge around this.
Forward rendering in general would allow for a prohibitively less expensive use of specialized shading for different materials, instead of the same broad one used for nearly all. You can see that in something like Cryengine or The Order where skin, vegetation, and even clothing have separate specialized PB shading in addition to the normal one covering non-metals and metals. Even metals require more specialized ones at times (anisotropic surfaces).

Regarding GI, having more lighting is just more expensive in normal forward rendering because the scene has to be redrawn for that lighting (as far as I understand it). That can be a great deal more expensive... or not... depending on a lot of factors. Being forward rendered does not mean you cannot have GI or cannot use PBS, in fact being forward rendered means your PBS can be more diverse.
Forward or Forward+?
I would hope forward + given xbox1.

Top Bottom