• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

gogogow

Not trying to argue with you in any way, but to my eyes the X1 version looks crisper and more colorful.

It doesn't. Well, it does, but that's because the XO's version has higher contrast textures and they are also sharpened to make up for the lower resolution. The PC version also has a softer look ala PS4 version or vice versa.

thuway

This pisses me off to no end because it happens with every comparison. The PS version always seems washed out compared to the Xbox versions. Why don't they set the TV settings to be the same for comparisons?

Protip: The Xbox One version of the game is intentionally botching accurate colors and image reproduction in favor of over sharpening and oversaturation.

Not trying to argue with you in any way, but to my eyes the X1 version looks crisper and more colorful.

Because it is. DF found the same. Sony has better effects and better aliasing in their game and they wouldn't have lost the visual comparison if they put a half decent scaler into their box.

Silky

Banned
Put my glasses on this time.

Why the fuck is the PS4 version look like washed out mud? Everything on the XBO ver. looks...cleaner. Crispier. Ps4 has better framerate, sure, but the 'pop' isn't there.

Then again; compressed youtube nonsense.

Why are people claim the Xbone has better / higher res textures?

The DF article doesn't state that at all. Just that the Xbone uses some post process sharpening method to make up for the lower native resolution.

Because graphics noobs don't know a compressed tonal range when they see one. They just think it looks "crisper" and move on. Who needs to see what's in those shadows anyway?

Those blacks are terribly crushed in the XBone version.

EDIT: Just as I was typing this...the post above...case in point.

Why the fuck is the PS4 version look like washed out mud? Everything on the XBO ver. looks...cleaner. Crispier. Ps4 has better framerate, sure, but the 'pop' isn't there.

maomao

Banned
Please, look right here, and you can find this all over the video as well as aliasing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I don't know what to tell you.

ps4xboybina.jpg

Ground and grass, xbone wins
Sky and far away buildings, ps4 wins

Kssio_Aug

You think the PS4 looks better in this pic? Looks washed out and blurrier to me, but to each their I guess.

I do. I think what seems blurry its just about contrast... Xbox One colors looks more depth. But if you look at the grass and at the cable in the picture, you can see the pixels difference.

I dont know... Really not a big deal. I thought the difference would be a lot clearer.

cool_dude

Banned
Soft PS4 image:
1920x-1

Sharp XO image:
1920x-1

Aliasing through the door window. Although you can "count the pixels" there, PS4 has more "stair-stepping" effect.

Xbox One looks good, can't wait to play it.

Computer

2 minutes into that video, the biggest "you will say wow" difference is the stuff with the helicopter. Xone with a huge downgrade in the sand particles and effects shown with the copter wings blowing...

If all we have to argue about is grains of sand and blades of grass then then whole my console is better then yours needs to go away.

keuja

JZHn6eR.jpg

PS4 version looks better. That distorced pixeling is a signal of the lower res?

Also XOne version looks darker, maybe to hide those defects?

Not a huge difference anyway. At leasy not by youtube video.

Dude, X1 looks better here. Less blurry and better texture (the ground for instance). Or it could be the gamma settings, not sure.
It could be different when seeing the game in motion but considering the resolution advantage of the PS4 it is actually very disappointing.

WoolyNinja

In motion PS4 is easily the better of the two. Is it XboxOne's scaler making everything look aliasy? Whatever it is its very tough on my eyes.

Raymo

Not the normal maps.

They are the same.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PS4_020.jpg.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_XO_020.jpg.jpg

You are confusing the increased contrast with higher res textures and that really destroys your credibility. XBO shouldn't be outputting such a high contrast image, anyway. It should be neutral so that you can adjust it to your liking on your tv or in settings. So much detail is lost in the shadows.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Meeeeh

PS4 version looks better and the framerate being steadier at a higher resolution is pretty impressive. Still nothing to make XB1 owners worry about their purchase.

antonz

As someone with no horse in this race it would appear to me that overall the XB1 version is looking better. It certainly has higher resolution textures in a number of spots.

Framerates are generally pretty similar. Ps4 might be a bit more stable but the different between the two is no where near omg one is so obviously suckier.

The blur effect the PS4 version has really doesn't make sense though im sure its being used to hide some of the ugly. Seems like they would have been just as well better served staying 720P but wanted a PR win

morpix

PS4 is closer to PC, so the XBone is doing something to cover up its lack of resolution/performance.

Slam dunk for PS4 in my book. Better resolution & framerate, done.

~~Hasan~~

man the jaggies on the xbox one is a game killer. seriously its just so annoying !!.

its like they didn't apply any sort of AA in this game at all.

with that being said, the xbox one look....... crisper ? maybe the better word it the ps4 version colors are washed out ?

i duno i like the image quality on Xbox one much more than PS4. but i cant #$@$ stand the jaggies

Kibbles

Xbox one version runs betters and looks crisper overall.

PS4 has higher resolution, and they are pushing it at 900p while trying to maintain 60fps which causes a few issues.

Look at 1:10 in the DF comparison. PS4 version has higher framerate drop.

PS4 obviously more powerful, but since it was pushed to 900p, it lost some performance.

gQTuZs6.jpg

wat
Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

Derrick01

Banned
PS4 is 900p and XBO is 720p...

Yet, the XBO version looks... better?

No you got it wrong. Having slightly better textures doesn't make a game look better than the version with better framerate and resolution/less jaggies. It's not even close to being an acceptable trade off.

The PS4 version is clearly better.

hwateber

Thought the XBONE footage looked better at first glance too. After another skim I think it's really just the higher contrast that makes the textures appear "sharper" than on the ps4. It's kind of like playing around with the clarity slider in lightroom. Pretty sure that the textures were the same on both consoles and the only real difference I saw was resolution.
Jaggies everywhere

As someone who edits photos from time to time, I hate crushed blacks though.

The difference is alot smaller than I expected and was lead to expect by some people on this site. I'm honestly second guessing my pre-order right now. I prefer the Xbox exclusives and the only reason I went with PS4 was because I thought there was going to be a huge difference. Fuck.......

Well, I learned my lesson about not letting a few hyperbolic GAF members sway my purchasing decisions. But I don't know what to do now. I convinced one of my friends to pre - order a PS4 and if I cancel, he'll kill me. What do I do?
The hell are u talking about? Just look at the upcoming games and output from this gen with exclusives and make a decision. Why r I asking gaf anything ur gonna get the most varied answers ever...

Btw disappointed I stayed up late wit u guys ... This was stupid they look the save to me st first glance thought it would be more drastic... U guys suck!!! I'm gonna be tired at work tomorrow

Ploid 3.0

Dang all through that vid the PS4 looked better to me. I noticed the alising was worse on Xbox one and the lack of added fluff like ambient occlusion I suppose. It looked much flatter. I play PC games a lot not so it was more obvious to me, I sometimes bump a game down to add more mods or effects (Skyrim).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

I am confused, I thought the PS4 was 50% stronger? how is this even possible?? I'm seriously disap-fucking-pointed. I feel deflated by how bad the PS4 version looks in comparison. It's like PS3vs360 version washed look again.

dreamfall

From a quick look, it seems like the PS4 version is more in line with the PC version. Which is weird when people are saying the Xbox One version looks better so they'll get the PC version. This whole situation is strange.

Yeah, this is so strange to me.

Crushed blacks do not make for a better image- and yet, most are saying XO version has the slight.

To each their own! Glad to see both consoles are doing certain things well!

lol. That's how I feel I just watched the videos. Not sure how you can come away with that conclusion. Even DF doesn't agree with that.

It's a clear case of people not really knowing what makes for something looking good graphically. They see what appears to be sharper textures and more saturation but are ignoring the fact that some textures are downright different and the crushed blacks make colors stand out more. Sadly enough, "the xbone version looks better" will be echoed by the morons who just don't know better.

Protip: The Xbox One version of the game is intentionally botching accurate colors and image reproduction in favor of over sharpening and oversaturation.

Listen to the god damn bird people.

jaaz

There are other videos up comparing the PC version with both the Xbone and the PS4 versions. Looking at those it's clear which is the better version. The PS4 version comes quite close to the PC, I was surprised.

Top Bottom