• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

sephi22

Wait... the Xbone version is getting a day 1 patch that adds graphical effects? Is the PS4 version getting similar treatment?
The PS4 version already has what's being added to the XB1 version (AO) and still runs better.
Some people are speculating that the XB1 version might take a further hit in framerate because of the new shit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is it outrageous for me to assume this will me at least slightly improved by the games launch due to optimization? Or is it too late for that.

They will further optimize it, but they will also add Ambient Occlusion, which might give another few FPS drops.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I presume retail XB1s will have full range RGB output, so I guess DF can re capture using that version if they want. With the other retail updates it may be worth it to recompare them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is it outrageous for me to assume this will me at least slightly improved by the games launch due to optimization? Or is it too late for that.

they are ADDING AO (and possibly more). So I would have to guess that there is almost no chance for a FPS improvement between now and launch.

clem84

Gold Member
Not trying to argue with you in any way, but to my eyes the X1 version looks crisper and more colorful.
That's what I'm seeing too.

Some of the textures seem more detailed on XO. The XO signal is also a little darker with better color definition.

In the framerate comparison video, XO is also ahead in some sequences. PS4 is ahead in others.

So... what's the explanation? PS4 is slightly more powerful. Was the PS4 version botched?

Portugeezer

They will further optimize it, but they will also add Ambient Occlusion, which might give another few FPS drops.

Video was of PS4 multiplayer, so no AO addition is needed.

But it was near final build, so not much room for improvement until launch. The drops in multiplayer will remain, but as I said dips to 40-50fps is still better than 30fps locked.

Some of the textures seem more detailed on XO. The XO signal is also a little darker with better color definition.

In the framerate comparison video, XO is also ahead in some sequences. PS4 is ahead in others.

So... what's the explanation? PS4 is slightly more powerful. Was the PS4 version botched?

are you still on like page 2? serious question, read leadbetters rebuttal to get an idea of what people are saying.

Spongebob

Banned

54 pages in, and people are still making posts like this...

Crackbone

The fact that the Xbone runs @ 720p and runs at an lower average frame rate than the PS4 is fuckin' sad.

Seriously, fine, you might prefer the launch games, but for christ sakes, I don't see how anyone can justify dropping $100 more on a significantly underpowered box.

Some people fall for artificial contrast and sharpness. It's the same method used to make cheap TVs look better in stores than high end sets.

Looks like it works, even in 2013, regardless of image quality or resolution. Crush dem blacks and torch those whites and omg looks better than literally everything else!

Actually isn't it likely that with the extra effects being added to the XB1 version for launch it will result in a less stable framerate?

I'm referring specifically to the PS4 version multiplayer. It'd be nice if they could get the framerate up above 50fps most of the time. I don't think that's too pie in the sky hopeful, though if they don't get it this time, they probably will next time.

Xenon

1) 900p compared to 720p isn't nitpicking unless you're playing on a small television. It's noticeable even from the footage we've seen (Digital Foundry's botched captures being the exception) and that's compressed and viewed on my 15 inch laptop.

When they are both being scaled up to 1080p, to me it is, at least from what I have seen so far. Who knows maybe live the difference will be more noticeable.

2) While X1 will undoubtedly improve, the PS4 has a distinct compute advantage it has yet to exploit. It could conceivably maintain or even widen the gap once it does.

This will be the fuel for fan boy rantings for years to come. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

However, none of this really means a damn thing if X1 has the games you prefer. That's why I've had my PS4 pre-ordered and paid for since June. While its launch lineup isn't the best I've ever seen, I do love Killzone and that is enough to keep me happy until ND, SSM, RaD, Sucker Punch, Polyphony and others release their PS4 efforts.

Truthfully neither system has a game I must own. But I must own a new system! So I am picking the one that most appeals to me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Video was of PS4 multiplayer, so no AO addition.

But it was near final build, so not much room for improvement until launch. The drops in multiplayer will remain, but as I said dips to 40-50fps is still better than 30fps locked.

Ah yeah, no clue how much focus they have on optimizing the PS4 version. Who knows.

DUMPTRUXX

Banned

Have you guys read this thread at all?

The reason the colors on XB1 look the way they do is because of the way DF captured the footage. It has nothing to do with the PS4.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I presume retail XB1s will have full range RGB output, so I guess DF can re capture using that version if they want. With the other retail updates it may be worth it to recompare them.
Yeah. Could be one of the reasons why MS has an embargo in place. Makes sense.

Green Yoshi

XBO does a good upscaling job, so I don't think I will notice the difference between XBO and PS4 on my HDTV. PC-version plays in another world though.

In these GIFs XBO looks prettier:
ib2oi1LrWrikmU.gif

ihrijghdqxM3C.gif

Massa

Can some kind soul post a summary for those that actually had to sleep last night? What's the poop?

PS4 version runs at a higher res with a better framerate, and has more effects. Xbox One hardware has issues with full range HDMI support that lead to Digital Foundry posting some pretty terrible captures, unlike every other website.

The DF video capture was botched. Check other outlets for comparison and the difference is vastly in favor of PS4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Looks like it works, even in 2013, regardless of image quality or resolution. Crush dem blacks and torch those whites and omg looks better than literally everything else!

well, it still works to sell TVs at best buy also. in 2013.

People don't want stuff to look realistic. They want it to be BOLD AND POPPING OFF THE SCREEN.

About the only thing the XBONE didn't have from the "showroom TV" typical settings is the red push. lol.

Some people fall for artificial contrast and sharpness. It's the same method used to make cheap TVs look better in stores than high end sets.

Yup. Same with the overkill sharpness. I think the best way to compare PS4 vs Xb1 is to compare each to the PC since that is what DICE intended the game to look like.
Also, the close up pics show a sharp image for the XB1 but if you look at small distant object you can see the less detail present cause of the 720p

I'm referring specifically to the PS4 version multiplayer. It'd be nice if they could get the framerate up above 50fps most of the time. I don't think that's too pie in the sky hopeful, though if they don't get it this time, they probably will next time.

Maybe? I would've said at this point it was unlikely any major optimization between now and launch but they're already promising the XB1 some effects so who knows? Maybe they can further optimize the PS4 version a bit

Isn't DF like experts at this kinda stuff? How did they mess it up so bad?

Also, I see a lot of the PC people saying midrange gear runs the game better. While I admit the PC version is leaps and bounds above the console versions (as it should be), I'm still waiting for someone to build me a gaming PC that can run these games at full 1080p on a reasonable quality setting for $399.

fade_

So Digital Foundry admits there was a mistake somewhere along the line but are adamant that the mistake wasn't theirs and with this mistake they are still sticking by their comparison? Wow

So... If you genuinely believe this was intentional, you need to spend some time off the internet to let the crazy wear off. Don't interpret this post as me probably being a fanboy. Interpret it as me, a fellow human being. If you think this was done to misrepresent the disparity you need a break.

btrboyev

And yet no-one managed to build a complete PC rig that can compete with the PS4 if not for spending at least 600/700 dollars or more in the other thread with the PC comparison shots.

As someone who'd rather sit on the couch and play games on the big screen, this will do very nicely for 399$. Not to mention that it will only get better from here on out.

I'm just saying we should be expecting better after 8 years of sub full HD and we are still there. The hardware if these two systems should be that big of a learning curve considering the components they are using in them.

tfur

Much much larger difference than last generation. We all expected the Xbone version to be the inferior console version and it has come to pass.

I do think DICE worked hard to mask the faults of the Xbone well, but it easily looses via image resolution, image effects and frame rate to its console competitor.

It is honestly hard to see anything of value with the compressed dark videos, although it seems all of the text of the previews across the board give the victory to the ps4.

PS4 = 1
Xbone = 0

up next COD.

Hoje0308

Banned
Does the leadbetter article warrant a new topic ?

I'd say so. If anything, just to get people to realize that DF blundered the capture process. Because it's apparently too much to ask that people read the OP. Which brings me to my next point:

Shinobi, can you explain the DF situation better in the OP? It doesn't seem to be sinking in and the thread is just repeating itself. Nauseating.

People shouldn't be suprised that based on some of these screens, the XO version is some people's preference. It's the contrast.

It's like...the reason why HDTVs on show room floors at stores are running in "torch" mode with silly high contrast rather than reference-quality accuracy: colors "pop" when contrast is exaggerated, and your average person interprets more "pop" as more "quality".

Same story with a lot of laptops, which are designed intentionally with more contrast than they should have.

Isn't DF like experts at this kinda stuff? How did they mess it up so bad?

Also, I see a lot of the PC people saying midrange gear runs the game better. While I admit the PC version is leaps and bounds above the console versions (as it should be), I'm still waiting for someone to build me a gaming PC that can run these games at full 1080p on a reasonable quality setting for $399.

Define, "reasonable quality setting"? You could do that for a couple hundred more and make up that investment difference with the free AAA games that come with whatever video card you buy, and paying $20-$50 for new games instead of $60-$70 like you have to on consoles. And you'll never have to worry about backwards compatibility.

XBO does a good upscaling job, so I don't think I will notice the difference between XBO and PS4 on my HDTV. PC-version plays in another world though.

In these GIFs XBO looks prettier:

You seeing those pics on a good screen? Yesterday was viewing them on 1440 x 900 TN screen but well above native the Bone looks over sharpened.

So after all of the insane locked threads yesterday the outcome is:

PC Fans: EL OH EL 900p! PC FTW!
PS4 Fans: ZOMG! 720p! PS4 FTW!
XO Fans: I am okay with this.

Any reaction not contained above I would classify as people on the fence, they moved into one of those categories.

Would you have it any other way?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Haha. It just means you like the contrast adjustment in the XO footage Yoshi. Adjust your TV accordingly. Why would you want more aliasing and less resolution? Not to mention a lower frame rate most of the time.

Top Bottom