• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

FDC1

I received the game on PC today and thought I'd do a quick screencap for you to decide which version is more faithful to the PC. (The PS4 version looks much closer in my opinion)

1080p, everything on ultra, 4x MSAA:
bf4_x862013-10-2918-520osj.png

No flags on the buildings? PC inferior version confirmed :p

for the 100 time.

There is no blurr on PS4 version. Beside lower res than PC PS4 is as sharp as it can get without getting better res as PC.
There's FXAA and upscaling, both of which will cause some blur. Calling it a vaseline blurry mess is an exaggeration of course. And I'd personally take it over jaggies.

But 900p with FXAA isn't going to match the IQ of 1080p with MSAA.

If FXAA is being used on the XB1, which is probably the case, it will also cause blurring; but some sort of artificial sharpening is being applied at some point that's presumably masking it and replacing it with artifactual edges.

Perkel

Banned
FXAA is causing some blurring. FXAA always does, and it's the AA solution we know they're using.

There is none. If you mean compared to PC then yes FXAA will give "some" blurr but according to direct feed images there isn't really any blurr compared to PC version aside from lower res.

There is no addtional blurring vs Xbone version.

This comment got him banned? Wtf?

PS4 looks better but it doesn't look like too big of a difference.

JackFrags videos show a pretty big gap to my eyes, and his PS4 videos are multiplayer. They look objectively better than the One's SP videos. And SP is always supposed to look better than MP.

I really doubt there will be an option for these weird, non-standard resolutions.
I mean that's a weird kinda HD 4:3 ratio.

"720p" plasmas usually used 1024x768 16:9. Rectangular pixels. The sets still looked great though. It was seeing dark10x's first Pioneer plasma in person that got me on the Pioneer plasma bandwagon, and it was a pre-Kuro 768p 42".

Xbone version looks like it has a lot more jaggies, and less detail in the darker sections of the game.

Other than that, they seem more or less the same.
I wouldn't want to be paying 100$ more for a console with the worse looking title though, but PS4 only having 900p is a bit of a disappointment.

teiresias

Am I the only one that finds the chromatic aberration popping up randomly very distracting? Granted, I've never really played BF, so maybe this effect (or something similar) was used in older games, it just looks really annoying to me.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
FXAA is causing some blurring. FXAA always does, and it's the AA solution we know they're using.

Isn't there an option to turn off AA in the settings?

If so I'm totally fine with that solution, FXAA looks like crap and kept me from buying a bunch of multi-platform games on PS3.

TitanPilot

Neo Member
Is it me or is there a slight lag between when the bullet hits a player and the subsequent death animation? It is most evident when sniping in the new MP PS4 videos.

Here ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3Objaswg-Rw#t=117

Many more examples but this is just one i found quick

I don't see that lag in the PC footage, anyone else see it?

Edit: its also really bad in the Gametrailers video http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2dks60/battlefield-4-explosive-ps4-multiplayer-gameplay

Isn't there an option to turn off AA in the settings?

If so I'm totally fine with that solution, FXAA looks like crap and kept me from buying a bunch of multi-platform games on PS3.

we have no idea. such an option was patched into the PS3 version of BF3, so people are hoping for a similar option again but nothing has been confirmed.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I really doubt there will be an option for these weird, non-standard resolutions.
I mean that's a weird kinda HD 4:3 ratio.

If it has a proper scaler(ala 360) you should be able to output at any "standard" resolution which I would certainly consider 1024x768 based on the amount of 720p TV that use it.

I really hope this is something Sony\MS have NOT overlooked this gen

Can't believe folks are still watching the crappy DF videos of PS4...

STOP WATCHING DF videos for PS4 and WATCH JackFrags videos!!

They show how good the PS4 version looks. And thats just MP. XBO is nowhere close to it.

There is none. If you mean compared to PC then yes FXAA will give "some" blurr but according to direct feed images there isn't really any blurr compared to PC version aside from lower res.

There is no addtional blurring vs Xbone version.

The post you were replying to, was complaining about FXAA. They hoped that technique didn't become standard because it somewhat blurs the image. This is not a matter of opinion. It does. The artificial sharpening of the Xbox One image is hiding this, but you will see FXAA causing some blur on every game that uses it, on every platform.

Perkel

Banned
There's FXAA and upscaling, both of which will cause some blur. Calling it a vaseline blurry mess is an exaggeration of course. And I'd personally take it over jaggies.

But 900p with FXAA isn't going to match the IQ of 1080p with MSAA.

If FXAA is being used on the XB1, which is probably the case, it will also cause blurring; but some sort of artificial sharpening is being applied at some point that's presumably masking it and replacing it with artifactual edges.

let's see how this is in reality:

PC

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PC_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

PS4

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PS4_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

Beside obviously lower resloution i don't see any usual FXAA crap like more blurry textures.
Imo DICE did amazing work with PS4 version and its AA.

Do we even know if it is FXAA ?
Maybe they are using MLAA variant?

I mean look at this how AA brakes in PS4 gif. It is obviously sub pixel problem that would point at MLAA variant instead of FXAA

iQXnww9oCgl6.gif

At start there is something that looks like popin at left side at start. It is AA braking.
At the end of video at upper side of gix there is powerline that also pops which looks like AA switching on/off

Can someone explain how FXAA works compared to MLAA variant ?

edit:

i noticed in those 2 shots there are way less objects at bottom of those towers in PS4 version compared to PC. Same with grass.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This thread is straight up jokes all round

Indeed. I was wondering why Salvor was banned and then...

That means nothing when the Xbox One version doesn't look like the blurry mess that the PS4 version is.

I certainly see the jaggies but the PS4 version is a blurry mess.

Just look at this:

Wait wtf. Looks like the Jackfrag video shows off better lighting on the X1 than what DF is showing? What the hell is happening?

So the difference sums up to:

Better AA on PS4
Sharper picture on the XB1.

Wow. All that drama for THIS? Jeez.

XB1 upscaling is pretty damn good and I think it proves Penello's point - some stuff can be accomplished through an intelligent mix of hardware and software to bridge the gap.

No doubt about it - the PS4 on just about every comparison video looks blurry. Bad upscaling. Look to Crytek's Ryse to see how it should be done.

Man, I can't friggin wait for the COD comparisons.

This is ps4 footage?

yes all the gifs that BigBoss is posting are

see it for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackfrags/videos
I don't think most people are watching the Jackfrags videos. It's a shame because they're the highest quality footage out there right now. I don't see how some of the pc gamers can randomly drive-by and say the PS4 version looks like "shit" compared to pc.
they should put a link to his channel in the OP that or someone should make a new thread

DUDE, FLAMETHROWER??
Or maybe there was just a gasleak from a wall.. i dunno.
it is the dragon from Deep Down game jumping using the PS4's jump in system

Salex_

I don't think most people are watching the Jackfrags videos. It's a shame because they're the highest quality footage out there right now. I don't see how some of the pc gamers can randomly drive-by and say the PS4 version looks like "shit" compared to pc.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
let's see how this is in reality:

PC

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PC_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

PS4

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PS4_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

Beside obviously lower resloution i don't see any usual FXAA crap like more blurry textures.
Imo DICE did amazing work with PS4 version and its AA.

Do we even know if it is FXAA ?
Maybe they are using MLAA variant?

I mean look at this how AA brakes in PS4 gif. It is obviously sub pixel problem that would point at MLAA variant instead of FXAA

iQXnww9oCgl6.gif

At start there is something that looks like popin at left side at start. It is AA braking.
At the end of video at upper side of gix there is powerline that also pops which looks like AA switching on/off

Can someone explain how FXAA works compared to MLAA variant ?
It's FXAA, and it's enabled in the PC screens as well. FXAA has about the same problem with sub pixel detail when the detail is just a line like that, as it simply blurs the whole thing,

Foxix Von

As Zomg mentioned above, Digital Foundry are blaming the Xbox One itself and have said that because elsewhere was using the "Elgato Game Capture HD consumer-level devices" provided by EA (which, according to Digital Foundry is "unsuitable for DF work because they cannot acquire 1080p at 60 frames per second and they do not provide lossless video"). Digital Foundry "claimed that footage from " [the] Xbox One was also acquired at full range 0-255 RGB with the dash set accordingly, in line with the other versions - exactly how we approach every Face-Off." but that "the EA event was set by default to limited range RGB" which resulted in the crushed blacks.

So, honestly, it really is not clear if this is solely a Digital Foundry problem, an Xbox One issue, or a Dice issue (which I don't think is the case). This:

must be taken with caution at the current time but is implying that it is an Xbox One issue.

Ah, thank you very much.

What an astoundingly strange problem to have.

Liamario

Banned
Xbone version looks like it has a lot more jaggies, and less detail in the darker sections of the game.

Other than that, they seem more or less the same.
I wouldn't want to be paying 100$ more for a console with the worse looking title though, but PS4 only having 900p is a bit of a disappointment.

Yes, other than the massive differences, they're identical.

If it has a proper scaler(ala 360) you should be able to output at any "standard" resolution which I would certainly consider 1024x768 based on the amount of 720p TV that use it.

I really hope this is something Sony\MS have NOT overlooked this gen

Most 720p TVs don't even accept a 1024x768 input. The ones that do, by supporting PC modes (VGA, and DVI over HDMI connections) often have issues with doing so (color space issues, overscan issues, etc.).

I like PC mode support, but it's also more for developers to test. I think it's reasonable for 2013 consoles to only support regular television modes.

The comparisons are interesting...but at the end of the day most will be playing one version at a given time. The aliasing on the X1 version for a next gen console for $500 is nothing short of shocking.

You don't need to have seen a 'better' version to see how terrible that looks.

Yeah the aliasing is just fucked up

Top Bottom