• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

I don't know whether I want to give DF the benefit of the doubt and say they messed it up by accident rather than having a more malicious intent of specifically fucking with the gamma settings on the PS4 capture to make it look washed out. I hope that when they get final hardware for both they spend time tweaking their capture settings so they can get proper output on each of them, not having a higher than normal gamma on PS4 and very low gamma on the Bone.

Marlenus

I am one of those that like the sharpened xbone look but after looking at this post (which sharpens the ps4) I can tell the ps4 is better which matches the tech specs. QUESTION IS - how do I get that look when playing the game on PS4? Is it just a matter of tv settings? Currently (or at least on this thread) the PS4 compare pics are blurrier and don't POP as much as XBONE but your updated pics def do (for PS4 - pop, etc)

May have already been answered but yes, you can just change the contrast and sharpness settings in your TVs picture menu. Most TVs should have these options.

AngryBird

Banned
x1 looks much better. Ps4 looks washed out and look at that bald guy's head , you can see the ps4 ver looks a lot blurrier/lower res.

jaosobno

IMO it wasn't intentional. They already had their capture settings optimized for the X1, and then didn't have enough time to tune them again for the PS4.

It was all due to the rush to get the material up.

Man, if that black crush means optimized settings, I'd hate to see unoptimized results.

Xbox is a bit darker but...it looks sharper in many areas. Still waiting on Titanfall to purchase one but I'd give xbox a slight edge based on these videos & pics.

derFeef

Amazing screen from the IGN footage:

9xBb87a.png

LOLOL

Since we are comparing amazing compressed videos, here is the same map on PS4 and PC, not telling you which one is which! lol ... (you can see it :p)

hO2ZXeM.png

PU2GOb8.png

Yes, I read the op. You're confused about the difference between hardware-based and software-based upscaling. DF's guess was a bad software-based upscale.

I never differentiated between hardware and software. Are you saying the software upscaler had nothing to do with Sony and is the fault of DF?

billsmugs

I am one of those that like the sharpened xbone look but after looking at this post (which sharpens the ps4) I can tell the ps4 is better which matches the tech specs. QUESTION IS - how do I get that look when playing the game on PS4? Is it just a matter of tv settings? Currently (or at least on this thread) the PS4 compare pics are blurrier and don't POP as much as XBONE but your updated pics def do (for PS4 - pop, etc)

I'd like to know this too, can this effect definitely be replicated on a TV? It makes the PS4 version look much better.

Replicant

Am I to understand that DF doctored the screenshots in order to make XO version more appealing? Or am I getting something wrong?

How else would you explain version containing 50% more pixels as looking worse (in DF shots) than 720p version?

Several possibilities:

1. The capture for Xbone was done at 720p, whereas the PS4 one was done at 1080p so the scaling was introduced for PS4.
2. Both were captured at 1080p but the scaling software/hardware in Xbone introduced brightness/contrast toggle whereas the PS4 scaling/hardware keep the image as it was. You can't upscale an image to be something bigger and not losing clarity. BUT covering it with high brightness/contrast does not exactly eliminate the problem. It just makes the image looks pleasing in some instances.
3. The capture method that DF used employs a gamma setting that brings out the best in Xbone's output but doesn't do justice to PS4 because the gamma in each console were preset differently.

bGanci

Banned
No.

Well, you could construct a case where AO hides jaggies by being drawn over a previously (without AO) high-contrast edge. But notable aliasing is generally not at places where AO applies.

The difference in aliasing is that because of the hardware difference?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Since we are comparing amazing compressed videos, here is the same map on PS4 and PC, not telling you which one is which! lol ... (you can see it :p)

http://i.imgur.com/hO2ZXeM.png[/IM G]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PU2GOb8.png[/IM G][/QUOTE]

Bottom is PC cause I see the V

RetroStu

Banned
Which one do you prefer now that the PS4 image is sharpened and oversaturated like the X1 version?

You can achieve this effect with your TV settings.

Ah i take back what i said earlier, the PS4 version does look better in those pics. Strange though as i honestly thought the Xbpx One version looked better in the 'Videogamer' vid.

Huggers

Which one do you prefer now that the PS4 image is sharpened and oversaturated like the X1 version?

You can achieve this effect with your TV settings.

See looking at that makes me question DF's motives. Either that or they just messed up by mistake, which seems odd

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Top one looks crisper I guess.
How is this?

You can do this on your TV. PS4 is crazily superior in every aspect, if you prefer the "X1" look, you just need to put saturation and sharpness on your TV up on the PS4 version and you have the same look.

All the people who are saying they prefer the X1 version, just talk about a look of the game that anyone can have on either console, but it doesnt change that the PS4 one is massively superior.

slapnuts

doesn't matter. If you're an xbox fan it won't stop you buying an xbox. If you're a playstation fan it won't stop you buying a playstation.

but if you're a 'don't care just want to play the games' fan, why would you conciously accept a lower quality option for more money? Even if the games look ok, wouldn't you prefer to buy the one that looks better?

You're right though, many people won't notice or care. Hopefully Sony wakes up to this and starts mentioning 'Full HD' in all their native 1080p games. Use the same kind of marketing that sells HDTVs - even casuals know that 'full HD' is better than 'HD ready'. They might not know how or why, but its FULL right?

Yeah Sony should probably push their power advantage more than they currently are , it's only a smart business move as you kind of put it. I was always an Xbox fan but this time around i am going with PS4 first..I will probably get a Xbox One later down the road for some of their exclusives. I think Sony's exclusives will really shine though - this is where i believe we'll see that bigger difference graphically. I say in a year or two from now we will began to see some remarkable titles from Sony's exclusives lineup.

Like i mentioned before...Sony has really gone back to its roots as they were with the Original Playstation console..i was such a hardcore xbox gamer and still am to a degree but i was just so impressed with how they handled the development of their PS4 hardware. I mean they really made one heck of a machine this time around that it's just way to hard to pass up like i was able to with PS3 for the first few years after it launched. Cerny and gang really did a hell of a job with PS4..it's a developer's dream machine.

I expect to see a ton of new IP's coming out of the PS4 console like we saw with the Original Playstation console.

so PS4 footage looks washed out due to the press using foreign recording gear

900p.... hmmm wonder if both versions resolutions would be larger if Dice had more time

Yes, it would be.

Ruining images by cutting off entire parts of the color spectrum and scaling with a sharpness setting which introduces heavy ringing is not an advantage.

It's a bit disheartening how a sharpening filter and some higher contrast/saturation tweaks will serve to convince 70% of the mainstream public, as the image "pop up" more.

I never differentiated between hardware and software. Are you saying the software upscaler had nothing to do with Sony and is the fault of DF?

Why would Sony have anything to do with a SOFTWARE upscaler for BF4?

As for the discussion at hand. I am truly amazed at what the X1 is able to display IQ wise with BF4. 720p, lower framerates, no AO, no AA from what I see, etc. etc. I guess when games are native 1080p on the PS4 this " upscaler " thing won't be an issue, which is nice since BF4 is one of the only launch titles not 1080p on the PS4.

Funny how the Xbone screenshots in the OP look better than the PS4 ones.

Yep, I've got a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of questionable comparisons between now and launch, captured in a variety of ways.

As ever, the truth is usually lost somewhere in the midst.

The maddest thing is people looking at colours and gamma on their PC screens, 99% of which won't be even vaguely calibrated to any reasonable standard. It's also why BD screen comparisons are nigh on meaningless on the net.

Just set your TV's sharpening from the default of 50 to around 80 and you will get a similar look. For the colours, set the PS4 output to RGB limited and your TV to RGB full then set the colour mode to vivid or individually set the contrast to around 80 and the saturation to around 80, lower the brightness to around 30 and set the backlight to maximum to compensate.

Those are TV showroom settings as well.

Nev

Banned
If it makes you feel better about your purchase, sure.

I won't buy any version, and if I had to get one it would be for PC because I don't plan on getting a next gen console.

I'm just pointing the lack of severe differences between the PC and the PS4 version (that one can check from the comparisons between both), whose
negligibility would make the PC version look bad if the PS4 version looked, as stated by some PC fanboy, "awful"

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

The best comparison

Things close up and further away both look much better on the PS4. No contrast fiddling, no DF meddling, nothing just the same shot used.

Yeah that GIF really make it obvious. I'm sure once we see non compressed 1080p footage running at the original frame rates of each version we'll see a marked difference too. YouTube and web players in general are going to struggle to really show off the next gen titles as intended.

Top Bottom