• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

I have a PS4 pre ordered, launch edition, on amazon.

Every single one of the pics in the OP, I preferred the XO version as I thought the images were sharper and the colors were richer. I am not reading the whole thread and I know there's some controversy regarding how DF did their work, can someone please quickly summarize what the controversy is?

In layman's terms they increased the sharpness and color of the XB1 footage.

DieH@rd

Banned
XB1 version looks way better.

2bksfilhi6q.jpg

Great work. :D Dat sharpening.

KKRT00

Why is it misleading? Watch the whole video, it's pretty consistent.

No, its not. And i watched it 3 times.
For example up to the point of this screen, game runs on both systems in locked 60fps, except for few seconds when it drops on PS4 to 52-54fps.
After this point for a whole another minute of the video You have locked 60fps on both platforms, except for heavy fps drop on PS4 for 2 seconds and two small drops on Xbone for half second [2-3fps].
So how is this screen consistent with the video?

===
That graph shows far more than "2-4" fps that DF claims. It's more like 5-15fps

Maybe watch the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzkw32amOM

It is max 2-4fps difference. It actually is locked 60fps for a most of the time, which is quite impressive if You ask me.

Kosma

Banned

Every single one of the pics in the OP, I preferred the XO version as I thought the images were sharper and the colors were richer. I am not reading the whole thread and I know there's some controversy regarding how DF did their work, can someone please quickly summarize what the controversy is?

Xbone footage uses sharpening and contrast/colour saturation to mask where it's worse.

You can get that "look" by changing your tv settings :)

KORNdoggy

Can anyone give me a tl;dr on what we've learned, aside from 900p?

PS3
-higher resolution
-better AA (or just better due to resolution increase)
-PC quality AO
-higher overall framerate
-softer image (due to no sharpening filter) (arguably fixed via TV settings)

Xbone
-sharper image (due to some sort of sharpening filter)
-AO will be added for launch

if the xbone is your only console, you probably won't be dissapointed, but if you have the luxury of choice, PS4 version is better across the board.

XO versions jaggies add an extra grittiness to the proceedings, making for a more believable warlike experience. RL wouldn't be so pristine if you were at war. think about it!

Portugeezer

So is this the only sub 1080p game on PS4? (besides Order 1886, but don't get me started on that discussion again please)

If so, I can live with that as they are doing large maps, 64 players, land/air/sea vehicle warfare, destruction, 60fps (with dips to low 40's but still much smoother than 30fps)

Guerilla

DF fucked up, don't trust their comparison, watch the IGN vid.

I believe the TL;DR version is basically that the DF images and video were only captured with a limited RGB range and with some sort of sharpen filter applied.

If you really do like the look of it you can achieve the same effect with your television settings by essentially cranking up the sharpness and contrast, or limiting the consoles output to limited RGB [this was a feature on PS3 I think, so presumably will be there on PS4].

Just as an example, this is a picture someone posted of Killzone Shadow Fall
http://abload.de/img/2bksfi.jpg
This is an image where I limited the colour depth and applied a sharpen filter:
http://abload.de/img/2bksfilhi6q.jpg

I hope that they also patch in some of that great Motion Flow stuff that makes the game 120 fps. I saw it at the Best Buy and it looked so smooth and rich.

Ashes

Banned
I'm with the "XB1 looks better" people. I know there are some technical advantages to the PS4 version, but the image quality looks more appealing to my eye. Maybe it's because it's darker; shit, I don't know. Regardless, the gap ain't big.

You can crush the blacks and sharpen the picture on ps4, if you want to. As has been shown, time, and time and time again.

Can anyone give me a tl;dr on what we've learned, aside from 900p?

The biggest thing that we have learnt is that the Playstation 4 version also has a better overall framerate. Alone, this probably would not be hugely significant, but that this coincides with the higher resolution is quite damning. The lack of Ambient Occlusion on the Xbox One would have been very interesting news but we have, of course, learnt that this will be added. This does mean that the framerate, which is already at a disadvantage, may be further impacted (to say by how much it will impact it though, if at all, would be surmising at this stage). All of this indicates that there is quite a gap between the two versions and suggests that the Playstation 4 may contain the better multiplatform versions of games for the majority of the generation (but of course we need to wait for more comparisons to see if this will be a consistent trend). EDIT: There has also been a large discussion on 'crushed blacks' and 'sharpening' but this seems pretty irrelevant overall.

I am really surprise how big the difference .

I assumed the difference wouldn't be linear to theoretical benchmark. So I assumed the difference would be less than 40% at max.

to see greater than 50% count in addition to AA and better frame rate is shocking to me.

Couple of facts after the first comparison thread.

1) developers aren't gimping the more powerful console for parity sake (at least dice didn't) kudos to them
2) The difference between next gen console will be much much bigger than any current gen platform differences

Yeah, it is interesting to note that with the PS3/360 the biggest resolution differences were generally 660p vs 720p, and even that was rare.

Here we already have a 900p vs 720p difference, and we know Ghosts is likely going to be 1080p vs 720p. Most people don't know it, but the resolution gap there is massive compared to the previous gen differences we saw.

meppi

The only thing is you will never experience a Killzone moment in Killzone, never mind something as *gasp* visceral as you do during a Battlefield moment.

#truthfact

ivaCIA2UUgrOe.gif

:p

Have to say from the seeing the images on first glance, the difference seemed to be much smaller than what I was expecting.
But after looking at a lot of the videos that have hit the web, it's quite easy to see that the PS4 version is the superior one.
Works out fine for me as that's the system I'll be getting first anyway.

johnny956

The screenshots in the OP don't appear to have the screwed up contrasting but does have the XO's sharpening. That's the only thing I can think of that will alter your judgement because the PS4 looks "softer" when in reality it looks more accurate to me. The resolution and AA is very noticeable. I'll be playing this on a 46" and a 65" 1080p tv's so I would notice is greatly.

KKRT00

PS3
-higher resolution
-better AA (or just better due to resolution increase)
-PC quality AO
-higher overall framerate
-softer image (due to no sharpening filter) (arguably fixed via TV settings)

Xbone
-sharper image (due to some sort of sharpening filter)
-AO will be added for launch

if the xbone is your only console, you probably won't be dissapointed, but if you have the luxury of choice, PS4 version is better across the board.

Both will have same quality of AO.
And slightly better framerate, at least in SP. MP could be another beast.

I would generally wait for retail comparison if You'll have access to both consoles and care mostly about framerate. If You dont care about fps that much, You dont have to wait, because PS4 will be definitely better for You.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
Well, if we're playing that game, what makes you think only the XB1 will continue to get optimizations?

???

I don't really understand this line of reasoning from people on this topic. No one has suggested the PS4 won't continue to be optimized (its a guarantee that it will). People were questioning the frame rate staying as good as it is for the Xbone version after the HBAO update has been added. That caused people to logically assume that the devs had made further optimizations to the Xbone version to allow such a feature to be added. That's all there is to it, the PS4 and its optimizations don't even need to factor into that argument, because its not even about the PS4 in this case.

Skeff

You can crush the blacks and sharpen the picture on ps4, if you want to. As has been shown, time, and time and time again.

And will be shown again, once a thread reaches 15 pages, the last 5 pages simply repeat themselves again and again, unless new information comes to light.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm guessing most of the "I like the XBONE version better" people still have their TVs at mostly factory settings. Thus they already have contrast at max, backlight at max, brightness at 50% and sharpness at somewhere between 50-100%.

In other words, when they plug a PS4 into their TV it will largely look like the XBONE version does in those video.s

codhand

NYGiants4Natic 1 minute ago

Nobody plays shooters on the PS3 or PS4....Shooters belong to MS and will continue that way. Leave exclusives to Sony for their 8 hour story line and nothing else.

dead @ youtube tears

Mr.Speedy

Banned
This is one intense launch. I think it's going to be a really bloody console war this gen. The Ten Years War, if you will.

From what I can tell, the X1 version is better if you just watch the footage. The PS4 version is better if you look at benchmarks and worry about frame rate. Of course, that's just the single player. I'm very interested to see how the X1 multiplayer footage compares.

Knuf

Reading this thread, this is what I gathered:
720p > 900p
lower avg fps > higher avg fps
no AA > AA
no AO > AO
missing other gfx effects > having other gfx effects

PC version is the worst of them all, confirmed.

monlo

the images are being doctored. I've already found various versions of the same images with different brightness

the PS4 version has obviously better looking grass and textures. less blurry.

derFeef

Why is the PS4 pic sharpened and the XBO not? This comparison stinks, need guys with cood capture devices and uncrompessed video - resolution benefit will be more visible then.

No, its not. And i watched 3 times.

Then you're full of shit.

First frame drop, PS4 starts behind because there's an explosion PS4 and none on X1, as soon as theres an explosions on the X1 too it falls immediately behind and it stays like while the rubble/smoke is present, PS4 mainlining 60. These aren't brief moments either.

Second, start of building colapse, PS4 behind, no doubt about it, can't really understand why either.

Third, the roof tops, X1 falling behind several times for periods of 5 seconds or so.

4th, cutscene, both drop, X1 drops more every time for long periods.

5th, boat gameplay, same as above although the gap isn't as big (although it gets bigger on character closups)

6th, tank, again more drops for X1, there's only 1 for PS4.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Where is this from? PS4 version clearly looks superior here.

However, images in OP show the XO version are sharper.

The PS4 image in that gif got the post processing treatment by a user to show how the ps4 version can look once you change the settings on your TV to the same sharpness and saturation that the X1 version already has applied.

Basically, all the people saying they prefer the "look" of the X1 version, should still get the superior PS4 version and change their tv settings to match their taste.

So is this the only sub 1080p game on PS4? (besides Order 1886, but don't get me started on that discussion again please)

If so, I can live with that as they are doing large maps, 64 players, land/air/sea vehicle warfare, destruction, 60fps (with dips to low 40's but still much smoother than 30fps)

It's the only confirmed one. The only other launch title that seems questionable at this point is Need For Speed Rivals, since it's using the same engine as this, but since it's 30 fps instead of targeting 60, it could still be 1080p.

If anyone has a good confirmation on that either way, I'm unaware of it.

Liamario

Banned
The footage we have seen is compressed garbage. Any preference for the xbone version has been based on your standard tv contrast and sharpness settings and blind fanboyism. Unless we get some uncompressed video and or properly calibrated images, any comparisons aren't going to be worthwhile.

That said, where the hell is all the 60fps footage!!!

It practically looks the same as the PC version. That is why I'm so shocked.
Not really, but it does look damn good. I don't know why so many think these consoles are pieces of shit lol. Look at the visuals of the rest of the games coming to them, they look phenomenal. We're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

The footage we have seen is compressed garbage. Any preference for the xbone version has been based on your standard tv contrast and sharpness settings and blind fanboyism. Unless we get some uncompressed video and or properly calibrated images, any comparisons aren't going to be worthwhile.

That said, where the hell is all the 60fps footage!!!

Honestly, I am sick and tired of watching these videos on youtube, IGN and Gamespot. so much of the next genness gets leached out of them by horrible bitrate and 30 fps.

Top Bottom