• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Orbis vs Durango Spec Analysis

FordGTGuy

Banned
I have some logic to run by your guys tell me if I'm off base here.

1) Most people who don't have internet are going to be in the casual demographic.
2) Microsoft has been pushing to gain control of the casual demographic.
3) Forcing online only would severely limit and hurt all progress made toward the casual demographic.

How does it make any sense?

It makes even less sense if you're one of the guys who thinks Microsoft is going Kinect mostly next-gen.

Microsoft might be evil, dirty, greedy and ignorant but I don't think they are this stupid.

1) Most people who don't have internet are going to be in the casual demographic.
3) Forcing online only would severely limit and hurt all progress made toward the casual demographic.

It makes even less sense if you're one of the guys who thinks Microsoft is going Kinect mostly next-gen.

Microsoft might be evil, dirty, greedy and ignorant but I don't think they are this stupid.

I'll try and play the other side of the coin.

Microsoft is only concerned in digital. They are focused on Xbox Live and digital entertainment delivery.

The casuals who aren't going online;
- are more likely to buy used games
- do not buy many games per year
- are not extremely profitable to MS --- as MS wants to sell you services and digital, if you're not online that's not profitable

rdrr gnr

Things may be different in the US/UK, but if the new Box has always online and the PS has not the box will be dead on arrival in continental Europe, i can guarantee you as much.
What's your reasoning?

People are the same everywhere. They're all looking for a way to rationalize their actions and justify their purchases. That doesn't make them bad or wrong but it does mean this won't be a big deal in the long run.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As if third party isnt going to support another console if it does support used games, thats leaving money on the table. Not to mention trade ins go to buying new software so sales might suffer on that platform.

Maybe it'll be always online for those consumers that are always online?

So if you are genuinely offline, you can still put a disc in and play it, just like before. But if you won't to connect online - whether for DLC, or multiplayer or whatever, that disc gets registered to your account and you can no longer sell it.

So it could be a trade off, with MS/publishers betting that online will be too compelling for most users to stay offline.

I'm a pretty big Microsoft supporter...I mean I roll with a windows laptop, wp8, surface and a xbox 360...

but I have no problem saying Microsoft is stupid enough to do shit like what you are saying lol...they shoot themselves in the foot all the time lol.

Especially now that they are trying to become a more services/hardware centric company then a software company like the old days....

scently

Likely because Microsoft foresee their system making more use of audio functionality, i.e with Kinect, multiple or simultaneous voice commands, multiple games or apps running etc. I doubt this will affect gaming or graphics potency in any tangible way, since that is what the audio chips in both consoles are there to take the load off of in the first place.

It is not there solely for kinect. Even for gaming use, it is incredibly powerful. As for graphics diff and what not, I have stated what I believe and that is that they will be close. Now please don't tell me that -- has -- more than--because as far as I am concerned, its never so clear cut, and I base my belief on what llherre said, which funny enough, is about the same thing as what was reported by edge.

Anyway I am getting both systems at launch as I am invested in quite a few of their respective first party franchises not to talk of potentially new ones that will be announced.

rdrr gnr

I'm a pretty big Microsoft supporter...I mean I roll with a windows laptop, wp8, surface and a xbox 360...

but I have no problem saying Microsoft is stupid enough to do shit like what you are saying lol...they shoot themselves in the foot all the time lol.

Especially now that they are trying to become a more services/hardware centric company then a software company like the old days....
Tell me, would they lose your loyalty if they were to implement always on and no used games?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It is not there solely for kinect. Even for gaming use, it is incredibly powerful. As for graphics diff and what not, I have stated what I believe and that is that they will be close. Now please don't tell me that -- has -- more than--because as far as I am concerned, its never so clear cut, and I base my belief on what llherre said, which funny enough, is about the same thing as what was reported by edge.

Anyway I am getting both systems at launch as I am invested in quite a few of their respective first party franchises not to talk of potentially new ones that will be announced.

PS3 had great audio this gen, I don't have any concerns that PS4 won't also have great audio

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'll try and play the other side of the coin.

Microsoft is only concerned in digital. They are focused on Xbox Live and digital entertainment delivery.

The casuals who aren't going online;
- are more likely to buy used games
- do not buy many games per year
- are not extremely profitable to MS --- as MS wants to sell you services and digital, if you're not online that's not profitable

Well let's devil's advocate this shall we?

1114389462421devils-advocate.jpg

Casual demographic is clearly larger by a order of magnitude than the hardcore market(90 million PCs were sold in the worse recorded quarter). Meaning taking any action against gaining even more casuals does nothing but push profit away from Microsoft. Casuals might not buy as many core games as we do but they do buy the casual games in droves.

When has Microsoft ever tried to limit or shrink their demographic?(I'm talking deliberate actions not stupid mistakes.) No matter if they are dumb or not they've always taken the actions they think will profit them in the end.

You can try to say Windows 8 but Windows 8 was a stupid mistake(not making Metro secondary to the desktop) not a deliberate action to limit the demographic.

PS3 had great audio this gen, I don't have any concerns that PS4 won't also have great audio

Yeah, I get the need for improved audio processing for Kinect, but in terms if general audio...hell I'd be fine with what they had on PS3. I guess I don't know what I'm missing until I have it but audio this gem was more than fine IMO.

AOC83

Banned
What's your reasoning?

People are the same everywhere. They're all looking for a way to rationalize their actions and justify their purchases. That doesn't make them bad or wrong but it does mean this won't be a big deal in the long run.

My reasoning is that there are tons of people who don´t like a company to take away their control over their property. And that´s what always online does, on top of that it has absolutely zero benefit for customers.

Add millions of customers who don´t want or can´t be online all the time they are playing.
This combined with the backlash/bad press and the already much stronger Playstation brand would kill the XBox in continental Europe.

rdrr gnr

My reasoning is that there are tons of people who don´t like a company to take away their control over their property. And that´s what always online does, on top of that it has absolutely zero benefit for customers.

Add millions of customers who don´t want or can´t be online all the time they are playing.
This combined with the backlash/bad press and the already much stronger Playstation brand would kill the XBox in continental Europe.
Maybe I'm more cynical than I should be but I just don't believe it. I think customers will deep throat whatever their amoral corporation of choice will give them. Marketing is powerful and dem graphics sure is purty.

Tell me, would they lose your loyalty if they were to implement always on and no used games?

depends.

My biggest gripe with the always on is the fact that Kinect is mandatory and has to be connected at all time(if the rumors are true; call me paranoid if you want, but after taking criminal procedure/constitutional law in law school, I can already see some agencies trying to get warrants to spy on people; won't play a roll in support of diminishing privacy within your home here in the U.S.).

Remove Kinect out of the equation and then no, I would not have a problem with the console being always on.

I personally, don't buy used games, so that doesn't really bother me.

My biggest problems are the console being always on w/ Kinect being mandatory, Kinect being shoved down my throat when I have no desire to use Kinect, more likely then not being forced to pay for Kinect when again, I have absolutely no interest in it and finally what seems to me to be mediocre hardware for an 8 year generation, granted my tech knowledge is limited, but from the little I do understand, with all the efficiencies a console bring you still are looking at hardware comparable to mid-range pc....(and yes I think the ps4 is underpowered also).

I don't mind the services because I will be frank, I don't even pay for cable anymore. I use Netflix/Hulu for pretty much all my television watching.

FordGTGuy

Banned
depends.

My biggest gripe with the always on is the fact that Kinect is mandatory and has to be connected at all time(if the rumors are true; call me paranoid if you want, but after taking criminal procedure/constitutional law in law school, I can already see some agencies trying to get warrants to spy on people; won't play a roll in support of diminishing privacy within your home here in the U.S.).

Remove Kinect out of the equation and then no, I would not have a problem with the console being always on.

My biggest problems are the console being always on w/ Kinect being mandatory, Kinect being shoved down my throat when I have no desire to use Kinect, more likely then not being forced to pay for Kinect when again, I have absolutely no interest in it and finally what seems to me to be mediocre hardware for an 8 year generation, granted my tech knowledge is limited, but from the little I do understand, with all the efficiencies a console bring you still are looking at hardware comparable to mid-range pc....(and yes I think the ps4 is underpowered also).

I don't mind the services because I will be frank, I don't even pay for cable anymore. I use Netflix/Hulu for pretty much all my television watching.

Always needing Kinect is probably the most absurd thing I've heard...

What if your Kinect breaks? Now your Xbox is completely broken by default.. same with online only.

Another thing about online only, if Microsoft were going to do this why not do it now?

Couldn't they release a patch tomorrow and basically break the Xbox 360 while offline?

When has Microsoft ever tried to limit or shrink their demographic?(I'm talking deliberate actions not stupid mistakes.) No matter if they are dumb or not they've always taken the actions they think will profit them in the end.

You can try to say Windows 8 but Windows 8 was a stupid mistake(not making Metro secondary to the desktop) not a deliberate action to limit the demographic.

Windows 8 wasn't a mistake lol.

It's the stupid people in Microsoft thinking that they can do an apple and tell people what they want.

That's pretty stupid in my book, especially after giving people options for decades and then all of the suddenly saying this is what you want, don't care if you don't like it, deal with it.

AOC83

Banned
Maybe I'm more cynical than I should be but I just don't believe it. I think customers will deep throat whatever their amoral corporation of choice will give them. Marketing is powerful and dem graphics sure is purty.

The XBox brand has never been strong enough here to pull through such heavy anti consumer stuff. And even if Sony did it too it would create some heavy backlash both companies can´t really afford at this point. They need a good image and a good start with their new consoles or they are in trouble.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Always needing Kinect is probably the most absurd thing I've heard...

What if your Kinect breaks? Now your Xbox is completely broken by default.. same with online only.

Another thing about online only, if Microsoft were going to do this why not do it now?

Couldn't they release a patch tomorrow and basically break the Xbox 360 while offline?

What if your 360 gamepad breaks? Same thing

FordGTGuy

Banned
Windows 8 wasn't a mistake lol.

It's the stupid people in Microsoft thinking that they can do an apple and tell people what they want.

That's pretty stupid in my book, especially after giving people options for decades and then all of the suddenly saying this is what you want, don't care if you don't like it, deal with it.

I didn't say Windows 8 was a stupid mistake but the long run I think making Metro the primary UI on Windows 8 was stupid. By primary I mean when you boot Metro is what you boot to instead of the desktop.

What if your 360 gamepad breaks? Same thing

People own multiple gamepads they don't own multiple Kinects...

Also a gamepad costs a fraction(3rd party) compared to a Kinect.

rdrr gnr

depends.

My biggest gripe with the always on is the fact that Kinect is mandatory and has to be connected at all time(if the rumors are true; call me paranoid if you want, but after taking criminal procedure/constitutional law in law school, I can already see some agencies trying to get warrants to spy on people).

Your acceder is exactly what MS is counting on. You may not be indifferent to Kinect but how many people out there are (or love it)? Better With Kinect isn't marketing -- it's reality for them. It's like Minority Report except for the part where anything is mildly cool. Used games don't bother you (nor me) but what about us as consumers instead of individuals? I'd rather fellow gamers have the option than not. And you're more informed than 90% of the people who buy video games consoles. That's why I think these changes won't be met with a backlash.

Edit: Though it has already been pointed out, but I don't think the entire system will be contingent on a functioning Kinect. But I don't think it'll be the same console without it.

Binabik15

You guys don't understand just how berserk people and very, very powerful watchdog groups get over potential invasions of privacy here in Germany. Especially older and more educated people, both groups that actually VOTE. There was a months long media war against even detailing how many people live where and what are they doing (student, working, retired, etc) in a database. The airport body scanners are even more reviled and in most discussions referred to as nude scanners except by the people trying to sell them or fight the terrorists that wear c4 vest.

And anything digital or online is thrice suspect.

BF3 was warned against purchasing it on the media since Origin supposedly scans your pc (for cheats/hacks?) and could steal personal data such as tax statements or CC numbers. That DID cost them sales in the pc market.

I can't imagine the PR warchest needed to calm the public and stop them from crucifying the Nextbox as MS's super spying device when people see that a mandatory (?) camera can detect who/how many people are in a room and said camera constantly feeds info to MS servers.

That and illegally blocking used games? The EU judges would love that.

Oh boy.

rdrr gnr

You guys don't understand just how berserk people and very, very powerful watchdog groups get over potential invasions of privacy here in Germany. Especially older and more educated people, both groups that actually VOTE. There was a months long media war against even detailing how many people live where and what are they doing (student, working, retired, etc) in a database. The airport body scanners are even more reviled and in most discussions referred to as nude scanners except by the people trying to sell them or fight the terrorists that wear c4 vest.

And anything digital or online is thrice suspect.

BF3 was warned against purchasing it on the media since Origin supposedly scans your pc (for cheats/hacks?) and could steal personal data such as tax statements or CC numbers. That DID cost them sales in the pc market.

I can't imagine the PR warchest needed to calm the public and stop them from crucifying the Nextbox as MS's super spying device when people see that a mandatory (?) camera can detect who/how many people are in a room and said camera constantly feeds info to MS servers.

That and illegally blocking used games? The EU judges would love that.

Oh boy.
I think MS would be willing to lose a few markets. Would it be just as bad in the UK? That's the biggest EU market, no? MS owns that.

Edit: DP

Your acceder is exactly what MS is counting on. You may not be indifferent to Kinect but how many people out there are (or love it)? Better With Kinect isn't marketing -- it's reality for them. It's like Minority Report except for the part where anything is mildly cool. Used games don't bother you (nor me) but what about us as consumers instead of individuals? I'd rather fellow gamers have the option than not. And you're more informed than 90% of the people who buy video games consoles. That's why I think these changes won't be met with a backlash.

how many people like or love kinect? only 26 million.

1/3 of the 360 user base roughly(take away for broken consoles if you want).

It's downright stupid of Microsoft to be betting on a gimmick that only only 1/3 of it's user base showed any interest in, with a majority of those sales coming at it's launch.

Their reality is pipe dream and pretty damn stupid one at that since the motion fad has already sailed(including sony). Shows in fact that they are pretty damn disconnected from their user base. Coupled with shitty software sales for Kinect, you would think their analysts would be screaming bloody murder for focusing on such a gimmick after spending hundreds of millions of dollar in R&D for the new console.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I think MS would be willing to lose a few markets. Would it be just as bad in the UK? That's the biggest EU market, no? MS owns that.

This is the logic I can't understand.

If we are saying that they are pushing casuals to increase their demographic why would they intentionally limit their demographic?

Isn't this counter productive in the long run?

how many people like or live kinect? only 26 million.

It's downright stupid of Microsoft to be betting on a gimmick that only only 1/3 of it's user base showed any interest in, with a majority of those sales coming at it's launch.

Their reality is pipe dream and pretty damn stupid one at that since the motion fad has already sailed(including sony). Shows in fact that they are pretty damn disconnected from their user base. Coupled with shitty software sales for Kinect, you would think their analysts would be screaming bloody murder for focusing on such a gimmick after spending hundreds of millions of dollar in R&D for the new console.

We thought 3D tv died for good too... you never know what might make a comeback. I think it's really dependent on how well the technology works and if Kinect 2.0 can impress(and sell) motion isn't going anywhere.

Also Microsoft isn't the only one we've already seen evidence pointing towards continued Move support on the PS4.

rdrr gnr

how many people like or love kinect? only 26 million.

1/3 of Xbox 360 consoles at the 'end' of the console's lifespan is a huge success. Granted the games that are Kinect-only are embarrassing -- it doesn't matter. You put that camera in the box and it's bound to have some impact. You and I are no longer the demographic that matters
as much.

If we are saying that they are pushing casuals to increase their demographic why would they intentionally limit their demographic?

Right. I don't know what MS's executives are saying or what their marketing research has indicated but it isn't indiscriminate 'casuals' and it isn't purely a numbers game. If losing ground somewhere means making up that profit elsewhere -- it's a decision they will make. Say their research has shown cutting off used games will isolate some customers, but the money generated from other customers having to purchase new titles for that platform balances out that exchange. They will go with the latter. They wouldn't even need the most market-share to justify these decisions. There are more active PSN users and accounts (granted they're free) and thus Live is a bad idea? Of course not. They are isolating tens of millions of their customers who refuse or don't pay for Live (like me) yet they are pulling in billions from that service. It's worth it.

Edit: Tired. My grammar is just atrocious.

Retailers, retailers, retailers! If the next Xbox blocks used games completely, why in the world would GameStop, Walmart, Bestbuy support them over the PS4?
I don't see this happening.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Right. I don't know what MS's executives are saying or what their marketing research has indicated but it isn't indiscriminate 'casuals' and it isn't purely a numbers game. If losing ground somewhere means making up that profit elsewhere -- it's a decision they will make. Say their research has shown cutting off used games will isolate some customers, but the money generated from other customers having to purchase new titles for that platform balances out that exchange. They will go with the latter. They wouldn't even need the most market-share to justify these decisions. There are more active PSN users and accounts (granted they're free) and thus Live is bad idea? Of course not. They are isolated tens of millions of their customers who refuse or don't pay for live (like me) yet they are pull in billions from that service.

When has Microsoft not played the long game? I don't remember a single time where Microsoft just went for the quick cash.

Even the Xbox itself is a example of them playing the long game. Cutting markets for a quick buck somewhere else would only burn bridges and ruin future saturation of the market(effectively hurting profit in the long run.).

I don't see how cutting used games supports Microsoft in turning a profit, sure they could get exclusives out of it but not if all the platforms follow suite though.

More games people buy the more likely Microsoft is to sell DLC for those games which they directly profit from.

I didn't think Microsoft gained any direct profit off of new games sales(other than their own).

I personally don't think Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo are as stupid as people make them out to be, sure they make stupid mistakes at times but this is just natural.

Well I'm getting tired and probably saying dumber things by the minute so I bid you all good morning.

rdrr gnr

It still is the long game. It's just a different version of it. It's still a competent box that will have 1st party titles that will appeal to the hardcore. And, that's the thing, they aren't counting on quick cash. They might be hedging their bets on locking individuals into that ecosystem. They are always online... why not buy an avatar or some XBLA games or Gold for Netflix.. (you get the idea). They'll just more of it (your money).

I don't think it will net them exclusives but it might net them support. The cutting markets part is, of course, speculative but, yeah, it does have downsides.

But no one is surprised that these changes are happening -- just by how quickly they are happening. Mix in hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing and an uneducated public (at least in the US) and your problems become negligible. Obviously they could change. That's what I'm counting on for both platforms. But I can definitely see how this decision was made and why it makes sense for them. Even if that's not what we ultimately get, we have enough corroborated evidence to know that at least at some point this was absolutely happening. And that alone is why it should worry conscientious gamers. MS thinks they can pull this off and they are right.

Sorc3r3r

Seems a weird strategy, losing the world for the anglosaxon market.

The only way i see this as a good strategy is MS to try to win the home app market in the USA and become what apple and google are in the mobile market: and with OS convergence with pc-xbox-tablet try to gain traction in the mobile space.

What is clear is that they want to be OS leaders, and in this day their position is not as solid as it was.

Binabik15

That's a weird strategy. Higher PS install base alone could negate the publisher goodwill given for no used games.

And if they're only after always online, pays for Live and services customers, is the UK even offering that ideal customer? In non-English speaking European countries at least, the services ate said to be severly lacking. In Germany most, most, MOST people also don't pay for tv, so online services aren't a cheap replacement for cable, premium online or for-pay channels are always something people buy as an extra.

rdrr gnr

Seems a weird strategy, losing the world for the anglosaxon market.

The only way i see this as a good strategy is MS to try to win the home app market in the USA and become what apple and google are in the mobile market: and with OS convergence with pc-xbox-tablet try to gain traction in the mobile space.

What is clear is that they want to be OS leaders, and in this day their position is not as solid as it was.
'MURICA

But, yes. Sony seems to finally have understood that with their event in NY. Japan doesn't matter. Europe surely matters but they can wait. This is a fight for 'mericans in 'murica.
That's a weird strategy. Higher PS install base alone could negate the publisher goodwill given for no used games.

And if they're only after always online, pays for Live and services customers, is the UK even offering that ideal customer? In non-English speaking European countries at least, the services ate said to be severly lacking. In Germany most, most, MOST people also don't pay for tv, so online services aren't a cheap replacement for cable, premium online or for-pay channels are always something people buy as an extra.
Again. I don't want to come off as a nut trying to posit some grand theory; I'm sure anyone could just destroy my points with facts. But I would say, yes, you would be right if it were to be, what, 2:1? If it were to be within in that (and given such similar architecture thus cheap ports). I'm not sure it would matter.

Sid

'MURICA

But, yes. Sony seems to finally have understood that with their event in NY. Japan doesn't matter. Europe surely matters but they can wait. This is a fight for 'mericans in 'murica.
Why is it so impossible that the PS4 will launch in Europe a week or 2 later than 'MURICA? Sony seems to be going with off the shelf parts and none of that custom stuff like Cell or EE and even the BR tech has matured a lot by now.

rdrr gnr

Wha? Don't understand me over the feel of my freedom, bro?
Why is it so impossible that the PS4 will launch in Europe a week or 2 later than 'MURICA? Sony seems to be going with off the shelf parts and none of that custom stuff like Cell or EE and even the BR tech has matured a lot by now.
Fuck if I know. They very well could have a simultaneous launch but the NA market remains the most important. They can only produce a said amount of units for launch -- so they will have to allocate where those consoles go efficiently. There seem to be some obstacles for a EU launch (I forget what people were saying about why EU is potentially delayed). The question is how confident do they feel about how many units they are shipping to a certain region.

Piggus

It's a lot more complex to distribute a product in Europe than in North America. In Europe you have tons of different packaging in various languages, different regulations for each country, lots of different retailers to deal with, different power plugs to manufacture, etc.

Also, the US is the market Sony needs to win back over. Not Europe, and not Japan. The PS4 will do fine there. But I'm sure Sony is doing everything it can to take back the US market.

Toski

Due to the rumors surrounding Durango & MS, my only hypothesis is that they plan to "dominate the living room" region by region instead of all at once. The companies that MS fears is US companies Google & Apple, not the Japanese Sony. My guess is MS is staked on having the US/NA (and maybe Latin America) as its domain and due to lifestyle research (theres a reason why the 3DS/Vita is doing bad in they US and iOS/Android isn't the sole culprit), and will give up Europe and East Asia.

Sid

It's a lot more complex to distribute a product in Europe than in North America. In Europe you have tons of different packaging in various languages, different regulations for each country, lots of different retailers to deal with, different power plugs to manufacture, etc.

Also, the US is the market Sony needs to win back over. Not Europe, and not Japan. The PS4 will do fine there. But I'm sure Sony is doing everything it can to take back the US market.
So why does this only affect Sony? MS and Ninty can get their consoles out on time in Europa....

Piggus

So why does this only affect Sony? MS and Ninty can get their consoles out on time in Europa....

Perhaps they have better manufacturing capacity or planned out their launches better. I don't think Sony is at all worried about losing ground to Microsoft in Europe, and therefore it isn't as big of a priority for them to launch in all three regions. I'm happy if it means I have a better chance of getting a PS4 at launch. Sorry Eurobros!

Top Bottom