• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Diablo 3 at 1080p on Xbox One

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If MS had simply pushed for 1080p without supporting Blizzard, then I think it would be fair to criticise. But as it is I think they should be supported. The framerate drops seem very minor and the increased resolution should be clearly beneficial for a game like this with small details

Raide

If it stays 50's during big battles, all is right with the Xbox One version. I am glad they pushed for 1080p, now it will be just a console preference thing. Bring on more Diablo!

I'd rather have a solid framerate, even if there isn't much of a difference when you get into the low 50's. MS knew they could not get the exact same game as the PS4 did. Why didn't the lower the shadow's resolution or something to get 1080p + 60fps?

mike4001_

Maybe we get some kind of a performance patch in the future.

If they have done the 1080p at the "last minute", it is possible they can optimize demanding areas a bit so the framerate doesn´t drop so much.

MMaRsu

Banned
If it stays 50's during big battles, all is right with the Xbox One version. I am glad they pushed for 1080p, now it will be just a console preference thing. Bring on more Diablo!

It may go further down the more the action intensifies tho. This test was done in single player story mode.

InsuRn

I hope they include the pc version in the final conparison. Something seemed off to me playing this morning coming from the pc version. I just can't tell what though without seeing the versions side by side.

I'm still in the 100s here with the latest update. Or maybe you meant the graphics are different ?

Hawk269

People should watch this video before jumping on the hate train
The frame rate drops are so infrequent
people should but then they would nothing to bitch about so it will be ignored. I am more interested in the code they were given to allow about a 40% or so jump with some minimal performance impact. That is the real story here that will get lost in the "hey look..more stuff to bitch about".

Jrs3000

I'm hoping they do a endgame review on inferno to see what kind of frame rate xb1 and ps4 get. Even the PC get's slow down on some of those so let's see the consoles get.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
intentionally imho
I think having sharper visuals makes the low framerate more obvious. The PS3 version had much softer imagery.

If I had a One, I would personally have taken 900p over drops, because you might as well hook your XB1 up to a 720p monitor instead of a 1080p one.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They made the right decision regarding the XB1.
A native 1080p on a 1080p display is vastly superior to a few nigh-perceivable frame drops.
The clarity and detail of a native resolution is absolutely a big deal with a stylized, detailed and busy game like D3.

If you have a choice PS4 is obviously the best choice but it's not like XB1 owners are getting a unplayable port or some shit.

They made the right decision regarding the XB1.
A native 1080p on a 1080p display is vastly superior to a few nigh-perceivable frame drops.
The clarity and detail of a native resolution is absolutely a big deal with a stylized, detailed and busy game like D3.

If you have a choice PS4 is obviously the best choice but it's not like XB1 owners are getting a unplayable port or some shit.

This. Either way your gonna play the game on the system of choice you bought it for.

Should have kept it at 900p. Would have still looked good and without the performance hits.

Yep, stop this 1080p craziness. We don't need it, the difference isn't significant enough based on games I've seen on both platforms, games still end up looking incredible, and the worst case scenario is that it could negatively impact games.

Sure, the drops don't seem too insane or anything, so they may very well get away with it in this particular case, but I wouldn't like this to become a growing trend or anything.

edit: And as others said, it's good MS at least assisted them with the development.

People are forgetting that displays don't output arbitrary FPS, they output 60 FPS, so 50 FPS means that about 1/5 of the frames will be duplicated (causing micro-stuttering) on top of the pain caused by frame rate variability. It's not the end of the world, but it's definitely worse than the small amount of blurriness you get from 900p.

zedge

Yep, stop this 1080p craziness. We don't need it, the difference isn't significant enough based on games I've seen on both platforms, games still end up looking incredible, and the worst case scenario is that it could negatively impact games.

Sure, the drops don't seem too insane or anything, so they may very well get away with it in this particular case, but I wouldn't like this to become a growing trend or anything.

You can't honestly believe they would make a game unplayable for the sake of resolution? This boggles my mind.

Alchemy

It will be interesting to see how the game holds up at end game. I dunno what changes they made to the content for consoles, but Rifts and what not on high difficulties get pretty crazy on PC.

Raist

Banned
It drops frames when barely anything happens. The game throws way more stuff at once later on higher difficulties and with more players.

To be fair it sometimes happens fairly randomly. In DF's review, framerate goes crazy in TLoU:R at some point with not much going on the screen, and is absolutely fine in other, seemingly more taxing circumstances.

I don't think anyone is "complaining" about the drop into the 50s, more that the only reason it does is because they sacrificed it for resolution.

Zornack

What a silly performance video, are there ever more than a dozen mobs on the screen? Let's see how the framerate holds up when a pet doctor enters a graveyard rift.

Orayn

What a silly performance video, are there ever more than a dozen mobs on the screen? Let's see how the framrate holds up in a graveyard rift.

I'd assume Blizzard planned for that and toned down mob density accordingly. Hell, they might have had to tone it down since enemy AI is server-side on PC and the new consoles' CPUs aren't the greatest.

If the number of enemies in rifts is somehow unchanged, then yeah, both current-gen versions would probably drop plenty of frames in that scenario.

Raist

Banned
No it would not cause judder.

Did you watch that video? When it dips it's still smooth. With out the counter you not even notice.

Yes I have, and no, it's not smooth. It's particularly noticeable when the character moves around.

Quotient

All this does is further confirm to me that a PS4 will be the right choice for me. I haven't bought into next-gen/current-gen yet, but i've been following along and every DF face-off just further cements the PS4 as the machine for gamers.

synce

A few drops from 60fps to 50fps is not a big deal, even the TLOU remaster had those. When devs start sacrificing a smooth 30fps just to get 1080p is when I'd start worrying. Fucking resolutiongate people need to chill out and realize there's more to games then pixels.

Shin-Ra

Agreed. I honestly would never notice a 5fps change, but that is just me. The Xbox version is also a bit better for my circumstances since I believe you can do split screen online gameplay with only one xbox gold account instead of needing each player to ahve PS+.
Is this true? Doesn't make any sense to me as PS+ covers all accounts local to a PS4.

After playing TLOU on the ps4 I'm thinking more devs should offer options like 30fps frame lock and lower resolutions.

Options are great, but there was absolutely no reason to run TLOU Remastered at 30fps unless you changed it for just that one encounter where dipped to 48fps. It was 60fps 99 percent of time. Or maybe you just like prettier shadows.

Raide

It may go further down the more the action intensifies tho. This test was done in single player story mode.

I wonder if the simplified HUD etc helps to keep the FPS more stable during those hectic MP moments? Surely they must have tested 4 player co-op right?

hesido

Yeah .01% of your time playing will be spent at 50fps or whatever.

Never have understood it myself. But to each their own I guess.

I will take better visuals while playing 100% of the time over the game dropping framerate while playing 1% of the time.

This "minimum framerate" bullshit is also getting on my nerves. It does not tell anything about the general performance of a game. Digital Foundry should do histograms, so we know how long a game stays at particular framerates.

Top Bottom