• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 vs XB1

Has Crystal Dynamics said anything about the massive dead zone? I mean seriously, WTF?!

uE1Hp0K.gif

Input lag didn't really even bother me on the Xbox One version if I'm honest.

The gunplay even like that was still far superior than Uncharted 4's for example so it felt pretty good.

100% bullshit.

Micerider

Having played both on Xbox One and PC. Input lag (and higher quality AO like VXAO) are a massive difference. It doesn't make console versions bad. But better input lag makes the game a good deal more enjoyable. Sad they didn't fix it for PS4 (may pro mode?)

BeeDog

My head hurts reading comments that ROTR's gunplay is better than Uncharted 4's. Now I know whose comments I can safely disregard.

vivekTO

I don't understand one thing, People here were saying it has better Gameplay/Gunplay than UC4 all year long, Looking at recent issues of input lag and deadzone , its not seems to be the case. What happened? was all that for console war bullshit?

I havn't played Rise on PC still , looking forward to it in future.

hawk2025

I don't understand one thing, People here were saying it has better Gameplay/Gunplay than UC4 all year long, Looking at recent issues of input lag and deadzone , its not seems to be the case. What happened? was all that for console war bullshit?

It's not even close.

A case could be made for TR2013. Rise's combat is simply sloppy, and compounded on the Xbox One and PS4 by the awful dead zone and input lag issues.

For what it's worth, a bunch of people brought it up in the game's original OT, but it was fairly widely dismissed IIRC.

It's still a pretty great game, which makes it all the more baffling on how they butchered what they had already nailed 2 years before -- the combat and the tight controls.

EvB

It's not even closeFor what it's worth, a bunch of people brought it up in the game's original OT, but it was fairly widely dismissed IIRC.

The issue is that nobody has actually tested it in any kind of scientific way, is it input latency or is it dead zone or both?

Putty

It's a good port to a more capable system. I think the only clear flaw this has the weird lag issue seen on XB1 also. The weight of that drag depends on each gamer.

Absolutely. A bad port would be zero improvements or worse which clearly isn't the case here....I hear you on the lag of course. some susceptible, some not. Reading some of the comments here though, good lord you'd think people had had their soul sold to the devil.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes. But worse AF

edit: Uncharted 4 gunplay was great.... Haven't played Tombraider yet, but that much i can say. Some people are really playing a consolewar game here.
Nah, the AA *AND* AF are basically identical between the two. They didn't change them at all.

The issue is that nobody has actually tested it in any kind of scientific way, is it input latency or is it dead zone or both?
The issue seems to be both.

There is a noticeable dead-zone, but this can be overcome with improved input response (as we get on PC).

There is latency in button presses as well.

All actions feel slower on Xbox One and PS4.

dark10x

AF is the same?? Oh wait, AF is better on 360? Or what am i looking at?
Yes, it's the same.

That comparison is of the Xbox 360 version. The 360 version features improved filtering in comparison to both Xbox One and PS4.

You should check out the vid I did on the 360 port again at some point, it's super fascinating to see what they achieved. It's an incredibly solid version of the game that actually plays better due to reduced input lag. It definitely looks worse overall, of course, but it's still a great port.

Please tell me you don't believe that they put so much time in that... The port was probably finished way before release.

I certainly don't now, that's for sure.

But regardless of how much of the last year was actually spent porting, given that Nixxies managed to solve the problems on the 360 for release at the same time as the XO version, and did the same for the PC port half a year ago, I cannot see there being any excuse whatsoever for these flaws to be present here.

Yes, it's the same.

That comparison is of the Xbox 360 version. The 360 version features improved filtering in comparison to both Xbox One and PS4.

You should check out the vid I did on the 360 port again at some point, it's super fascinating to see what they achieved. It's an incredibly solid version of the game that actually plays better due to reduced input lag. It definitely looks worse overall, of course, but it's still a great port.

this video?
That is pretty amazing what they did on the 360. Considering this was made for this gen.

While I'm sure some folks like to throw around BS conspiracy theories as usual (not you), I can explain the reason.

That scene in the Xbox One version happens a ways into the game. I played just shy of halfway through the PS4 version before I had no choice but to stop in order to hit the deadline. I literally only had about a day to do this video from scratch. I played the heck out of the PS4 version but I just couldn't get to that combat scene in time. That's all.

I'm going to check on it today.

...and the discovery of Xbox One S running better was an accident. I used that system for capture because I specifically knew that the valley exhibited screen tearing on Xbox One...but it was fine in the capture. It took me a couple of hours before it finally dawned on my why so I had to re-write the script and re-record it before pulling out the original XO for testing. So, yeah, that was an annoyance.

I did load up that combat scene on the S because I did want to include it and it does run much better. Once I get there on PS4, I'll update you.

Unfortunately, I don't control time so I did the best I could within the time constraints. For comparison, when covering the game on Xbox One originally, I had a full two weeks with the game. For the PS4 version of ROTTR, I received it and downloaded it Tuesday night. So, yeah, 24 hours with it. Thankfully, I've played the game SO much now that I was able to make it to the valley by staying up super late on Tuesday into Wed.

I see, thanks for the answer. Shame you didn't have time, I'm sure you'd agree that if the PS4 or Xbox One S avoids all those drops that would be the most important improvement over everything else. Not trying to put a conspiracy forward, I just remember your performance video with regular drops and there's no mention of it here as if it was fixed on OG Xbox One.

Perhaps an idea for a future video, S model would be interesting if it irons out all these drops but I know you've played enough ROTTR. :)

Alchemy

I thought the combat design and level design was better for enabling combat in RotTR compared to UC4, and UC4 also has its own input lag problems.

hawk2025

I thought the combat design and level design was better for enabling combat in RotTR compared to UC4, and UC4 also has its own input lag problems.

1) Where? Which combat scenario -- pick the very best one -- is better than pretty much any combat piece in Uncharted 4? Which combat scenario in Uncharted 4 is as categorically awful as the introduction of armored enemies in the escape from the Soviet Base in RTTR?

2) The input lag is not even close.

I hate that people made excuses for the inexcusable controls and lag on the Xbox One version. You guys are the reason why they didn't bother to fix it a year later.

Fool me twice, shame on me, though. I was a fool to buy it again before being absolutely sure it was gone.

Jhn

I feel like I have to thank DF for consistently giving poor input responsiveness and performance issues attention while pretty much no other game media does. If this stuff is not picked up by anyone the industry will only get worse about it.

So thanks DF and Eurogamer. You remain a bastion of competence and credibility in a sea of PR regurgitation and clickbait.

vivekTO

I think the major complaints , i have heard in regards with UC4 , is combat pacing , People having issues with how far and few the combat scenarios are in the game , and there is lot of "slow/free time" between combat scenarios , using terms like Walking simulator.

But i haven't see many complaining about the combat design and level design itself, The problem is that they are few , according to some here. and don't see anyone making a lot of noise about input lag on UC4.

I just don't understand , how combat design or gunplay is better , if there is a technical/design flaw in the game itself.

dark10x

I see, thanks for the answer. Shame you didn't have time, I'm sure you'd agree that if the PS4 or Xbox One S avoids all those drops that would be the most important improvement over everything else. Not trying to put a conspiracy forward, I just remember your performance video with regular drops and there's no mention of it here as if it was fixed on OG Xbox One.

Perhaps an idea for a future video, S model would be interesting if it irons out all these drops but I know you've played enough ROTTR. :)
It's interesting but surprisingly not that important overall as there are only a small handful of battles where you could trigger slowdown at all on Xbox One. Basically, in those select battles, where you run into lots of lighting and effects, you could trigger drops under 30fps.

If it happened more often, I would agree, but it's rather uncommon due to the lack of such scenes. Honestly, if the game had more combat scenes like that, it would ultimately wind up playing a lot worse due to the input latency. It's a good thing that you don't often wind up in those large combat areas.

I'll let you know when I make it there on PS4, though!

Maedre

Banned
Damn, no input lag fix, no buy.

This was the reason i sold the XB1 version very fast. I can't stand it.

Kinda unrelated, but Sony/Guerrilla gave up on the whole BS experience thing at some point right? Feeling "heavy" is bullshit in any game. There are better ways to engender weight than lag or non-responsive dead zones.

I honestly never understood what the hell Guerrilla was trying to convey in Killzone 2. You felt as if the bog-standard assault rifle (and even a freaking revolver) weighed like 50 kilos. Aiming basically any stocked weapon IRL is lightning fast.

It's interesting but surprisingly not that important overall as there are only a small handful of battles where you could trigger slowdown at all on Xbox One. Basically, in those select battles, where you run into lots of lighting and effects, you could trigger drops under 30fps.

If it happened more often, I would agree, but it's rather uncommon due to the lack of such scenes. Honestly, if the game had more combat scenes like that, it would ultimately wind up playing a lot worse due to the input latency. It's a good thing that you don't often wind up in those large combat areas.

I'll let you know when I make it there on PS4, though!

Oh ok. In the old video you said it happened regularly. Might not be worth your while then if its rare.

dark10x

Someone from here should've gone to their offices and explained to them about this input lag/deadzone issue.
These guys aren't idiots - I'm sure there must be a technical reason for it. It sucks, but it could be an issue with the way the engine works on these consoles.

MisterR

It was console war bullshit. You could love or hate the pace of UC4, depending on if you want to go from shooting gallery to shooting gallery or not. The level design and shooting controls are top notch, and the implication that UC4 has input lag problems similar to TR is completely false fanboy drivel.

jett

D-Member
But there's no such report on PC DF face off back then.

I also played it on PC capped at 30fps as my PC can't handle 60fps. If there were input lag, I'd notice it right away.

I'm pretty sure it's a sarcasm post.

It's my personal experience. My computer is JUST short of getting 60fps on TR, so I tried locking it down to 30. It felt absolutely awful to me.

ViciousDS

Banned

what kind of bullshit is this......UC4 input lag problems? I didn't pull out my fucking hair in intense firefights in UC4. In RotTR I wanted throw my console out the window because of the response. I had to move to my monitor to enjoy it and even then the input lag is noticeable. I play on a fricken mx279h for crying out loud.......and still noticed problems!

Jhn

There is none. Been playing on both extreme survivor & survivor. Haven't noticed any lag. Maybe it was their build?

Either you're trolling or ignorant, and neither is helpful. The current version of the game is laggy as fuck, the fact that you for whatever reason don't notice it doesn't mean its not there.

dark10x

It's my personal experience. My computer is JUST short of getting 60fps on TR, so I tried locking it down to 30. It felt absolutely awful to me.
While it does feel worse, I can say that the Xbox One and PS4 versions are even more laggy than the PC version capped at 30fps. Seriously.

The AF is the same stop with this bullshit.

Yeah there was a surprise 360 image in there that had better AF.
I should have seen that because it had horrible aliassing but i thought it would be just PS4 vs XboxONe screens. My bad.

XboxOne and PS4 have the same AA and AF.

psychotron

While it does feel worse, I can say that the Xbox One and PS4 versions are even more laggy than the PC version capped at 30fps. Seriously.

You said it about the XBone when it was released and you were absolutely dead on, because I felt it immediately. This means I'll be waiting until the Pro comes out to see if it's fixed. If not, then my XBone playthrough will be the only one I'll be doing.

Riddler

Either you're trolling or ignorant, and neither is helpful. The current version of the game is laggy as fuck, the fact that you for whatever reason don't notice it doesn't mean its not there.

Sure I'll accept maybe I don't notice it. At least it's not as bad as that Heavenly Sword GIF, but hey I did complete that game when it released.

How does one go about locking the pc version to 30fps? Mine won't let me change it from 60. It's literally grayed out. Wanted to test out the lag. Is it because of display port?

Durante

How does one go about locking the pc version to 30fps? Mine won't let me change it from 60. It's literally grayed out. Wanted to test out the lag. Is it because of display port?
If you use a Nvidia card, half-refresh V-sync in nVidia inspector and a 30 FPS limit in RTSS usually give a good result.

Top Bottom