• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah, well. Even the though the majority here seems to love the graphics. Dissidents should still be able to come here and voice their disappointment. I hate circle-jerk threads.

As for myself, I agree with Mengy on the look of the game:

Hey man, I'm all for anyone and everyone who dislikes the art or graphics of Diablo 3 to come on in and post them. This is the Diablo 3 thread and this is where that stuff should be posted.

Hey man, I'm all for anyone and everyone who dislikes the art or graphics of Diablo 3 to come on in and post them. This is the Diablo 3 thread and this is where that stuff should be posted.

you rang?

i'm just wondering what drives people to get into the diablo world; gameplay, Loot, the story, the gothic art, and the mixture of them all;

because i value the gothic art and story more so than the gameplay and loot! that's why i love Diablo and Diablo 2;

the Diablo 3 world cannot immerse me in the diablo universe; the concept art, book of cain and the trailers all have what i loved about it, and boom the actual game shatters my expectations...

forrest

formerly nacire
you rang?

i'm just wondering what drives people to get into the diablo world; gameplay, Loot, the story, the gothic art, and the mixture of them all;

because i value the gothic art and story more so than the gameplay and loot! that's why i love Diablo and Diablo 2;

the Diablo 3 world cannot immerse me in the diablo universe; the concept art, book of cain and the trailers all have what i loved about it, and boom the actual game shatters my expectations...

Well I'd say it varies based on the individual. For me personally, I think the story, creatures, etc. were the initial draw. The gameplay is really responsive, solid and fun for me which goes a long way in keeping me actually playing the game. Add in the challenge of difficult encounters with the rewards of cool looking gear and more powerful items and I'm hooked. I don't really get the "Gothic" correlation with D2, but maybe it's just me. On a side note, we have yet to see all of Diablo 3 and it could turn out to be the most "Gothic" Diablo yet.

Lothars

you rang?

The thing is you haven't played the full game, You can't tell me that if you played the demo of Diablo 1 or 2 and automatically knew they weren't gothic enough or the world wasn't good enough.

we are seeing maybe 20% of Act 1 but there's tons more that's not known or what the next acts will bring or look like.

I just think your judging the full game on a small portion of it but for me it's a combination of the world, creatures and the gameplay, I am more than happy with what i've played so far and am really looking forward to the rest.

spirity

Moaradin: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3967848172?page=1

That won't do anything to address your complaint with the art direction of D3, but it does sharpen up the game considerably. Check it out, I couldn't believe how much of an improvement it makes. I'm also quite fond of how it dulls the colour palette which I know is not to everyones taste. I just hope beyond hope that something like this won't get squashed by Blizzard. I'm really looking forward to D3 and this filter would make a great game even better for me.

but this is what i'm feeling from the game although i've only seen maybe 10~20% of the game:

if they recreated diablo 2's world with diablo 3's graphics, art choices and the like, it would not give me the satisfaction of the immersion and feeling i got from diablo 2- i don't really know how to explain this , but it's not like the art style is going to change depending on the location. act 2, 3 and 4 may consist of hell, caves, fallen monarchies, deserts and the like, but the art style - the brutal savaged corpses and the hints of torture within rooms, dead bodies really made me feel " wow, this is grotesque!" - with the combination of music and the gritty art that made diablo diablo. the animation i see within diablo 3 (from what i've seen and finally played! ) really makes me think that Blizzard tried to make this game accessible to the mass public, even in young teenagers- hence the choice in not as graphic (when i say this, i don't mean blood going everywhere i mean the way it is graphically presented)

maybe it's because i prefer single player in diablo 2, as i finished the game solo while beating andy, durial, then meph, diablo, and finally baal, and really grasped the world, if you know what i mean.

well, that's my rant- anybody get what i;m trying to say?

i already preordered diablo 3, (yaaay art book) but i just keep think to my self if it was any better.

Moaradin: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3967848172?page=1

That won't do anything to address your complaint with the art direction of D3, but it does sharpen up the game considerably. Check it out, I couldn't believe how much of an improvement it makes. I'm also quite fond of how it dulls the colour palette which I know is not to everyones taste. I just hope beyond hope that something like this won't get squashed by Blizzard. I'm really looking forward to D3 and this filter would make a great game even better for me.

that actually looks alot better. wow!

So playing the beta for a couple of months now I never touched a WD and had no intention to, I really don't like the theme of a WD, i'm more of a Necro person myself, but man they are fun as hell now that I tried them. They also seem to have the most spells out of everyone, fuck im so undecided on what to get to 60 first.

sazzy

So playing the beta for a couple of months now I never touched a WD and had no intention to, I really don't like the theme of a WD, i'm more of a Necro person myself, but man they are fun as hell now that I tried them. They also seem to have the most spells out of everyone, fuck im so undecided on what to get to 60 first.

i thought WD was kinda weird too when i started.. but as soon as i hit level 3, BAM! fucking enjoyed throwing spiders everywhere so much!! i'm definitly starting with a WD on my first play

Yiorgos

This is probably way too late in the cycle but is it possible to get a beta invite from somewhere/someone? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Avellon

I'm not sure how people can claim diablo 3 doesn't have the same "blood and gore" factor as diablo 1/2 after playing the beta when the first few hallways of the cathredral in D3 are literally full of mutilated guard corpses pinned to walls with their own spears, and many floor tiles have giant swaths of blood and hints of parts of bodies and guts. There is just as much graphicness as anything you'd see in Diablo 2's harem in act 2.

I actually feel D3 ups the blood factor in the beginning. In D2 you start in the middle of an encampment/town. In D3 you also start by a town/encampment, except the entrance is strewn with bodies and dead zombies, and the first thing you see when entering the town is a giant horse cart full of bodies being burned like its Black Plauge time 2.0.

PatzCU

i thought WD was kinda weird too when i started.. but as soon as i hit level 3, BAM! fucking enjoyed throwing spiders everywhere so much!! i'm definitly starting with a WD on my first play

WD didn't have the spider throwing a few months ago. I recently went back to try WD after all the character talent reorganizations. I've gotta say, the spider throwing is incredibly satisfying to the point that I might main WD (otherwise I'll be maining Barb). A lot of the other WD abilities feel really stupid though like the bats and green corpse running dude.

But damn, those SPIDERS!

Wolfie5

WD didn't have the spider throwing a few months ago. I recently went back to try WD after all the character talent reorganizations. I've gotta say, the spider throwing is incredibly satisfying to the point that I might main WD (otherwise I'll be maining Barb). A lot of the other WD abilities feel really stupid though like the bats and green corpse running dude.

But damn, those SPIDERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34_a1ZMLDBw&feature=player_embedded

:)

PiLON

Neo Member
Does everyone still consider Monk to be lackluster? Haven't kept up with this thread recently, so I apologize.
I didn't think much of the Monk until I reluctantly tried one. Wow, are they fun! Much more hit and run than the Barb with more cc and support from what I can tell. Hard to put my finger on it but they seem to be a very 'active' class. Not a dull moment with the Monk.

But damn, those SPIDERS!

So many amazingly diverse opinions, haha. The spiders are a neat idea but I find them annoying and tedious to use in combat (*KSHH KSHH KSHH KSHH KSHH KSHH KSHH*). Fucking love launching waves of fiery batty death at everything, though, especially after using Soul Harvest and just laying waste to the entire screen.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was planning on going with a Barbarian my first play through but that WD spider video has peaked my interest. Very cool.

I've played every class to 13 now, twice, in two different patches, and honestly I think they are all a blast to play. The WD is much better now than he was a few patches ago, same with the monk, but I enjoy all five classes. At this point I have no idea which will be my "main". That's why I'm playing all five up to 60, the end of Hell. I want to see how each class plays with all skills and runes available. At that point I'll pick one to venture into Inferno with and really start tweaking him out.

TheKurgan

I've played every class to 13 now, twice, in two different patches, and honestly I think they are all a blast to play. The WD is much better now than he was a few patches ago, same with the monk, but I enjoy all five classes. At this point I have no idea which will be my "main". That's why I'm playing all five up to 60, the end of Hell. I want to see how each class plays with all skills and runes available. At that point I'll pick one to venture into Inferno with and really start tweaking him out.

I have only played the witchdoctor once through the beta - up to lvl 9 or so. And that was probably about 7+ patches ago. =) I will give him another try tonight and see how it feels first hand.

I was thinking the Barbarian would be the most straight foward (easy to figure out) class - but it might be a better strategy to take an less common class on the first play through. Less competition on auction house items, party members more likely to just give you class specific items, etc..

See, the thing is, do you do one all the way to 60, then repeat? Or get all through normal, then one at a time to 60? Or all through, one difficulty at a time? There are probably even more ways to do it.

I'm definitely getting one character all the way through normal first. After that, I'm not sure what I want to do. I'll probably just feel it out live, depending on what other people I play with decide to do. I have a friend who probably won't play as fast as me, so I may need to set aside a character to match his level if my first character outpaces him. Part of it depends on how long it takes to run through the game too. It'll definitely be longer the first time through, but after that, skipping dialogue and other extraneous things should make it fairly quick.

foladar

See, the thing is, do you do one all the way to 60, then repeat? Or get all through normal, then one at a time to 60? Or all through, one difficulty at a time? There are probably even more ways to do it.

I'm definitely getting one character all the way through normal first. After that, I'm not sure what I want to do. I'll probably just feel it out live, depending on what other people I play with decide to do. I have a friend who probably won't play as fast as me, so I may need to set aside a character to match his level if my first character outpaces him. Part of it depends on how long it takes to run through the game too. It'll definitely be longer the first time through, but after that, skipping dialogue and other extraneous things should make it fairly quick.

Personally, I'm taking one character (barb or monk) through Hell, level 60, at least and probably working my way farming for Inferno. I'd rather get as far as possible with one character before starting on another, plus if you did two characters through normal, you'd be "behind the curve" and I can't let my friends get past me LOL

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm going to get each class through normal first, whatever level that ends up being (20-30?). Then, once all five are in Nightmare I'll pick my favorite to take through all the way to Hell, and then go back and do the other four in turn. Then again at the Hell level break (45 or so?) I'll pick my favorite class and take him all the way to 60, and then again the rest of them one at a time. Once I have one of every class at 60 I'll pick my favorite one and focus on Inferno with him.

Personally, I'm taking one character (barb or monk) through Hell, level 60, at least and probably working my way farming for Inferno. I'd rather get as far as possible with one character before starting on another, plus if you did two characters through normal, you'd be "behind the curve" and I can't let my friends get past me LOL

I don't care at all about being "behind the curve". I'm playing on my own curve, and friends and such can just wait for me at endgame if get their first! I'll be playing this game for years to come, there's no rush.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone up for plowing through all the content and levelling fast?

I can read the story on my 8th play through like I did with Diablo II.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know that's my plan. A buddy and I are both taking off work to play it. Where I'm taking two days, he's taking a week. o_O
I'll be taking some time off for sure. 12 Hours a day for at least two unless it gets old.
Love being on the edge of the curve and finding out game mechanics and exploring builds. Next time I'll care is Diablo IV which probably won't release for a while.

Loto

I'll be taking some time off for sure. 12 Hours a day for at least two unless it gets old.
Love being on the edge of the curve and finding out game mechanics and exploring builds. Next time I'll care is Diablo IV which probably won't release for a while.

I'm off the 15th & 16th, let's do this!

sazzy

I think it's incredible how someone can be amazed for 14 minutes straight by just one spell. Almost like every single vase blows his mind.

apparently he's high

but prob 15 or 16 years old which is why he cant handle it

edit- you can tell at the part where he's killing the exploding fat guys

Gvaz

Banned
the textures in d3 don't seem low-res, they look highly stylized, like a pastel painting.

because of the style, the game will continue to look phenomenal in 10+ years.

either way, i'm not sure about this because i've been having too much fun playing the game to notice silly things like this.
The enviroment is fine, the characters are shit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know that's my plan. A buddy and I are both taking off work to play it. Where I'm taking two days, he's taking a week. o_O

I'm off the 15th & 16th, let's do this!
Ok we got 4 then. Classes?
I'm leaning Monk/Barb.

foladar

Same here, me and a buddy are doing the same stuff, though I took off two days or so, he took off .. well, a lot longer. Can't wait for Diablo 3.

KKRT00

I'm curious KKRT00, and this is a serious question, do you feel that graphics are more important than gameplay? Is the technical graphics design of a game engine more important to you than how the game actually plays? And do "bad" or outdated graphics engines detract from a gameplay experience for you?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33293061&postcount=5165

But KKRT00 seems to genuinely hate D3 simply because it's not up to 2012 video game graphics standards. It's not DX11 feature rich and doesn't require the highest end PC to play, and because of that he seems to be content to dismiss the entire game. He is almost on a crusade to single handily make D3 be a commercial flop. I can't understand that narrow view of gaming, it's like without superior graphics everything else in D3 is worthless. Maybe he is on the PoE development team?

Yep, I'm a secret New Zealand developer from Poland...

I havent said anything about gameplay in my last few posts and i havent also said anything that i hate Diablo 3. Where have You read that?
I just dont worship Blizzard and dont think that is unreasonable to except modern rendering tech [not several years old] from one of the most wealthy AAA PC developer.

Ps. I'm actually playing Might and Magic VIII right now...

forrest

formerly nacire

Yep, I'm a secret Australian developer from Poland...

I havent said anything about gameplay in my last few posts and i havent also said anything that i hate Diablo 3. Where have You read that?
I just dont worship Blizzard and dont think that is unreasonable to except modern rendering tech [not several years old] from one of the most wealthy AAA PC developer.

Well that's good because I can assure you everyone who has been disagreeing with you secretly does.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Yep, I'm a secret Australian developer from Poland...

How do you explain Nintendo's choice with the Wii then?

Wealthy doesn't mean hyper realistic graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom