• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait i thought it was STILL like this in D3?

I thought in order to play Nightmare mode(hard) you HAD to have finished Normal or else you wouldn't even get access? Or do you mean you had to have a MAXED out Normal char like level 99 or whatever to tackle hard?

You need to finish Normal to unlock Nightmare.

As for SK - Blizzard mentioned there is a plot twist right after you defeat him, so maybe difficulty change has something to do with that.

Trickster

"Normal" in D2 you could actually die in. It's different now, that's why they changed it.

Are you speaking from experience of having played the full game through in normal. Or just from playing the 1½ beta? Anyway, I'd suggest watching Hazaro's 1+ hour footage from the leaked beta areas.

Ricker

Hmm thought I was pretty clear. Without "Elective Mode" checked or turned on, you can only assign one skill from one category at a time. So for the demon hunter, I can only assign one skill from my primary skill category. Meaning I cannot use hungering arrow at the same time as bola shot. If I were to enable "elective mode" now I can "elect" which skill I want to use in combination with other skills. If I want to choose 4 primary spells and 2 secondary spells then that is my choice. The default way Blizzard wants you to select something from each category essentially because they basically think that is an easier path to a balanced build than letting people just go all willy nilly and choose for themselves.

Got it now thanks,I was actually looking for something else(hotbar locks)...I thought this elective mode could make me set things up like a MMO kinda with 2 rows of hotbars etc etc...

Raide

Aye, so they force us to go through "easy" difficulty without dieing once? I really hope it picks up after the beta section...

If players cannot get through Normal without dying, they can forget about Nightmare and beyond.

It is called Hardcore for a reason. :D

I think this difficulty thing is being wildly overstated. Just for comparison's sake, go back and play the first 10 levels of Diablo 2 on normal and tell me how many times you died.

I'll wait.

If you're going to argue that this is because of "experience" or something similar, I'll probably agree. It's not like "experience" is non-transferable to incredibly similar games, making them seem easier than they would be to a newcomer. (I have seen people die in public games, for what it's worth.)

kinda tempted to actually boot up D2 now to play the first 10 or whatever lvls and see just how hard or easy it REALLY was with all this discussion going on hmmm

only KINDA though so nahh

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I died in the beta once
I blame the latency!! ... Or the phone call

During November ( I believe ) when I first got hands on the beta dying wasn't really that uncommon for me, especially if you got cocky and stood close to a harvester/grotesque when they blew up.

Though nowadays you really have to go out of your way to get killed. So it was certainly more difficult a couple of months ago.

Raide

kinda tempted to actually boot up D2 now to play the first 10 or whatever lvls and see just how hard or easy it REALLY was with all this discussion going on hmmm

only KINDA though so nahh

Unless you cannot play D2 or choose not to equip any items, the first 10 levels are a breeze. Woodhead Treefist can be a little annoying but nothing major, so its not until Old Tristram and you have to fight Griswold, which can be a little tricky.

Its really class dependent, since some can have an easier time that others.

I found in D3, the Wizard was hard for the first few levels until you get some more damaging skills etc.

During November ( I believe ) when I first got hands on the beta dying wasn't really that uncommon for me, especially if you got cocky and stood close to a harvester/grotesque when they blew up.

Though nowadays you really have to go out of your way to get killed. So it was certainly more difficult a couple of months ago.

I thought the consensus was they cranked the difficulty up a bunch of times since the beta launch. But I wasn't in until February, so I don't know. It is definitely harder now than it was in February though.

I died once early on as a lvl 3 or 4 DH when I ran into a champion pack. And then I think the Resplendent Chest got me once as a Barb right after they cranked up the difficulty in Patch 14 or 15.

TylerD

Aye, so they force us to go through "easy" difficulty without dieing once? I really hope it picks up after the beta section...

Just because Jay Wilson says he can make it through normal without dieing doesn't mean everyone else can right off the bat. In the same video he does say that he has played Diablo 3 over 1000 hours during development.

Regarding the "hand holding" I don't see how it is much different than so many other tutorials in other games. And the elective mode and advanced tool tips not being enabled from the start? As soon as you notice that you are being so restricted in where you can put skill types and the simple tool tips I would be digging through options to find a solution because there is no way that it would be that rigid without an option to change that stuff.

I do wish you could remove the quest beacons when you get close to an objective but I plan on exploring every area the first time through and ignoring them and probably keeping the quest log collapsed as much as possible.

Unless you cannot play D2 or choose not to equip any items, the first 10 levels are a breeze. Woodhead Treefist can be a little annoying but nothing major, so its not until Old Tristram and you have to fight Griswold, which can be a little tricky.

Its really class dependent, since some can have an easier time that others.

I found in D3, the Wizard was hard for the first few levels until you get some more damaging skills etc.

i agree about the Wizard being hardER than the others at first but imo he was still far FAR from dying... i mean you can just run around a little, spam some spells and in time the mobs will die, even if they hit you, you won't lose much!

Either way, i will play the shit out of this game, easy or not and then move on to Nightmare and have a blast either way!

V_Arnold

So here's the difference I see between the beginning of diablo 2 compared to the beginning of diablo 3:

-Diablo 2 you start off with very few skills. The necro has to pretty much go melee for 5 or 10 levels, even the sorceress has to use melee sometimes if I remember correctly. Even the mana related skills you do use can't be used constantly. In addition, the initial skills in diablo 2 are very weak feeling; you can usually only take down 1 or 2 enemies at the same time. You honestly don't start feeling "powerful" until level 20 or even 30, when you get many of your best skills. And when you get your best skills, you really can't use them much at first. A lot of the grind for better gear is just so you can use your best skills more frequently. Think how fast your mana regen has to be as a sorceress to constantly use frozen orb maxed out.

-Diablo 3 you have quite a few active skills to choose from, and can use them constantly from the beginning. Even the secondary skills which take juice to use can be used more than the initial skills in diablo 2. A lot of these skills can already control a crowd very well, enabling you to kill a decent sized group enemies in a matter of a couple seconds. This simply was not possible in diablo 2.

Whats my point? Difficulty aside, I feel waaaay more powerful at the beginning of diablo 3 than I do at the beginning of diablo 2. I can use all my available skills as much as I want and I can kill a bunch of enemies at a time straight off the bat. This worries me a bit because I like feeling like I'm getting progressively stronger. In diablo 3, it seems that the reverse may happen although I can't rightfully say. But from what I've seen, blizzard's correlation of progressive difficulty and feeling of power may have flipped to some degree.

-In diablo 2 you start off weak, enemies start off weak. As you progress, its about you creating more of a gap between you and the enemy's level of power. Of course there are times where it closes back up, only for you to widen it again.

-In diablo 3 you start off way stronger than the enemies. My guess is that this feeling of power is pretty consistent through normal, possibly beginning to close at the end. When do you get that initial feeling of power again? That remains to be seen, but I'm curious to see whether or not it makes you actually feel like you're progressing as a character, rather than just the difficulty ramping up while you stay relatively the same (or less powerful?). Of course as you go through diablo 3 you'll hone in on your build as you would in diablo 2, that much we're all pretty sure of.

Valnen

I died in the beta once
I blame the latency!! ... Or the phone call

I died a couple of times early on before I happened to have a bunch of new PC parts thrown on me. I think having sub 5 FPS is a perfect excuse to have bad reaction time >.>.

Island

I died a couple of times early on before I happened to have a bunch of new PC parts thrown on me. I think having sub 5 FPS is a perfect excuse to have bad reaction time >.>.

I died to the stuttering bug. Right at the beginning when you go into the tavern, and all the zombies spawn. I sat there stuttering for 30 secs, I could hear everything going on. When the stuttering stopped I was dead.

Really hope they fix that bug, won't be playing HC until they do.

So here's the difference I see between the beginning of diablo 2 compared to the beginning of diablo 3:

-Diablo 2 you start off with basically no skills. The necro has to pretty much go melee for 5 or 10 levels, even the sorceress has to use melee sometimes if I remember correctly. Even the mana related skills you do use can't be used constantly. In addition, the initial skills in diablo 2 are very weak feeling; you can usually only take down 1 or 2 enemies at the same time. You honestly don't start feeling "powerful" until level 20 or even 30, when you get many of your best skills. And when you get your best skills, you really can't use them much at first. A lot of the grind for better gear is just so you can use your best skills more frequently. Think how fast your mana regen has to be as a sorceress to constantly use frozen orb maxed out.

-Diablo 3 you have quite a few active skills to choose from, and can use them pretty constantly from the beginning. Even the secondary skills which take juice to use can be used more than the initial skills in diablo 2. A lot of these skills can already control a crowd very well, enabling you to kill a decent group enemies in a matter of a couple seconds by level 10. This simply was not possible in diablo 2.

Whats my point? Difficulty aside, I feel waaaay more powerful at the beginning of diablo 3 than I do at the beginning of diablo 2. I can use all my available skills as much as I want and I can kill a bunch of enemies at a time straight off the bat. This worries me a bit because I like feeling like I'm getting progressively stronger. In diablo 3, it seems that the reverse may happen although I can't rightfully say. But from what I've seen, blizzard's correlation of progressive difficulty and feeling of power may have flipped to some degree.

-In diablo 2 you start off weak, enemies start off weak. As you progress, its about you creating more of a gap between you and the enemy's level of power. Of course there are times where it closes back up, only for you to widen it again.

-In diablo 3 you start off way stronger than the enemies. My guess is that this feeling of power is pretty consistent through normal, possibly beginning to close at the end. When do you get that initial feeling of power again? That remains to be seen, but I'm curious to see whether or not it makes you actually feel like you're progressing as a character, rather than just the difficulty ramping up while you stay relatively the same (or less powerful?). Of course as you go through diablo 3 you'll hone in on your build as you would in diablo 2, that much we're all pretty sure of.

Yeah, I hope they do somehow manage to convey that feeling of an increase in power.

But there is one good thing about this approach, at least... I can only imagine Blizzard took advantage of this:

resource management, a non issue at higher levels cause of crazy fast mana regen and pot spamming in DII, should be way more balanced later on in DIII.

forrest

formerly nacire
Got it now thanks,I was actually looking for something else(hotbar locks)...I thought this elective mode could make me set things up like a MMO kinda with 2 rows of hotbars etc etc...

Yeah, trust me, I hate the locked hotbar too. Unfortunately it's a side effect of the current skill UI. They correlate each skill unlock to a specific hotbar location which they lock as well. The last iteration simply didn't put the mouse button or hotbar key next to the skill unlocks in the skill window. Which meant your entire bar could be unlocked from the beginning and had fuck all to do with how many assignable skills you had unlocked.

I prefer to assign my skills right to left, so I'll be forced to rebind my hot bar everytime a new slot opens up. Luckily it only takes you to lvl 19 to unlock the entire bar, but again, this is one of those small things where I feel Blizzard has dropped the ball.

The main things I see that just aren't as good as they could be are:

Main screen UI - Can we not get an exit game button on the left side? I dont know, but the arrangement of things here just isn't feeling intuitive or well laid out.

Skill UI - Having to page through multiple categories, which feel quite arbitrary, to find skills that may or may not naturally fall under said category is quite a pain. I really thought as long as I had been in beta that I would eventually "know" which Demon Hunter Skills were where and which category came after each category. This simply did not happen.

Locked Hotbar - Unfortunately a side effect of the Skill UI, pisses me off to no extent and while it's a minor quibble in the long run, it's simply not as good as it could be.

Elective mode - Another compromise made by Blizzard to offer some sort of guided approach to skill selection and build creation. I just wish Blizzard would trust the players enough to scrap this way of thinking. I also don't think that a tooltip and through the grapevine is a very professional way to go about explaining a feature that the vast majority of people will prefer to use. If I'm overestimating majority here, I believe it will be because people won't even know about elective mode.

Hitbox - This one I will mention, but it's not a huge issue for me, but it can be a pain at the right time. The hit boxes are so forgiving on the mobs that targeting the correct one quickly in a pack can be a chore. Again, this one isn't huge for me, but I've seen many complaints regarding it and it has happened to me on occasion.

For those talking about difficulty and character level, I thought this blue post was interesting.

In my actual experience (admittedly, with a full build that reflects where the game was in difficulty a month ago), I had to push my demon hunter up to level 32 to get out of Normal, and up to 55 to get out of Nightmare.

Source

LordCanti

Yeah, trust me, I hate the locked hotbar too. Unfortunately it's a side effect of the current skill UI. They correlate each skill unlock to a specific hotbar location which they lock as well. The last iteration simply didn't put the mouse button or hotbar key next to the skill unlocks in the skill window. Which meant your entire bar could be unlocked from the beginning and had fuck all to do with how many assignable skills you had unlocked.

I prefer to assign my skills right to left, so I'll be forced to rebind my hot bar everytime a new slot opens up. Luckily it only takes you to lvl 19 to unlock the entire bar, but again, this is one of those small things where I feel Blizzard has dropped the ball.

The main things I see that just aren't as good as they could be are:

Main screen UI - Can we not get an exit game button on the left side? I dont know, but the arrangement of things here just isn't feeling intuitive or well laid out.

Skill UI - Having to page through multiple categories, which feel quite arbitrary, to find skills that may or may not naturally fall under said category is quite a pain. I really thought as long as I had been in beta that I would eventually "know" which Demon Hunter Skills were where and which category came after each category. This simply did not happen.

Locked Hotbar - Unfortunately a side effect of the Skill UI, pisses me off to no extent and while it's a minor quibble in the long run, it's simply not as good as it could be.

Elective mode - Another compromise made by Blizzard to offer some sort of guided approach to skill selection and build creation. I just wish Blizzard would trust the players enough to scrap this way of thinking. I also don't think that a tooltip and through the grapevine is a very professional way to go about explaining a feature that the vast majority of people will prefer to use. If I'm overestimating majority here, I believe it will be because people won't even know about elective mode.

Hitbox - This one I will mention, but it's not a huge issue for me, but it can be a pain at the right time. The hit boxes are so forgiving on the mobs that targeting the correct one quickly in a pack can be a chore. Again, this one isn't huge for me, but I've seen many complaints regarding it and it has happened to me on occasion.

For those talking about difficulty and character level, I thought this blue post was interesting.

Source

The second quote makes me wonder if going DH is a bad idea. 55 to clear Nightmare? Doesn't that mean some more balancing is needed?

I'm considering going Wizard instead, if only because they seem to have more abilities that disperse mobs or else keep mobs off of them.

Naeblish

Yes it does. I played the leaked area's and with a lvl 12 DH those area's were pretty hard, i had to kite quite a while before i could take down a unique tree mob.

Lothars

Source
I believe with the Elective mode, it was previously unlocked by default and I would hope that the case in the full game.

Difficulty I don't really believe that it takes up to level 55 to go through Nightmare but than again we will see.

chris-013

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus at that 20dps bow about 30minutes in. Man I want that.

I think 1 hand xbox *2 (18-19 max dps) are better in the beta.

The second quote makes me wonder if going DH is a bad idea. 55 to clear Nightmare? Doesn't that mean some more balancing is needed?

I'm considering going Wizard instead, if only because they seem to have more abilities that disperse mobs or else keep mobs off of them.

Like he said 1 month ago... They are tweaking the difficulty in their internal beta so we don't know if 55 will be true at the release.
If you choose to play a different class every time blizzard change something you'll never play. :p

I believe with the Elective mode, it was previously unlocked by default and I would hope that the case in the full game.

Nah it wasn't, and it wouldn't make sense to have it be an option if it is enabled by default. That means you're not 'protecting' the players you wish to protect with such an option.

V_Arnold

Elective mode.... elective mode....elective mode....

There. By writing this down three times, I have given it more attention than it needs to be turned on when I start a new character. That is about all the attention that it needs to be given by players that know what they are doing. Anything more is just obsession over something, imho.

chris-013

:( I hope it evens out in the end game. I really dont want to be pushed to duel wield xbows because 2h's are so much less effective, that would really defeat the purpose of them existing.

Don't worry, I'm only talking in the beta until lv13 and the bow + quiver are very close in damage. I'm more worried about 2hand xbow...

Lothars

Nah it wasn't, and it wouldn't make sense to have it be an option if it is enabled by default. That means you're not 'protecting' the players you wish to protect with such an option.
I don't remember who was saying it but there was a couple posts regarding elective mode and being unlocked maybe on previous builds but I am sure I heard it somewhere.

Freki

European Start time 00:01 CEST confirmed here - link was taken down shortly after...

We’re inviting you to join us for the midnight launch of Diablo III! In addition to local retail shops’ midnight launches, we’re holding a number of demonically charged worldwide launch events in major cities where you can join Blizzard to celebrate the release of Diablo III and pick up your copy of the game. Each event will have its own activities, giveaways, and contests, so see the press release for further details and be sure to check the launch event site for more info on the one nearest you.

Diablo III Midnight Launch Events

Whether you’re attending a launch event, grabbing the game at a local store, or waiting patiently at home for your digital version to unlock, you’ll want to be ready to jump in right when the servers open. For the European region, the game servers will go live at 00:01 CEST on May 15. As a reminder to our Russian players, the Russian-language version of the game will be available digitally and at retail starting June 7.

Don’t forget to create your BattleTag — it's important to do so now if you haven't already, as it’s REQUIRED TO PLAY DIABLO III. Also note that if you’d like to receive a digital copy of Diablo III free, there are still a few days left to sign up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

We hope to see you at one of our Diablo III launch events, and we look forward to seeing you in-game on May 15!

But FUCK YES!!! I would have hated to have to wait till the next morning...

Twinduct

Hmm I'll have to wait for my order to come through on Tuesday (Thanks for the 30usd increase for the DD version blizzard). Still need to figure out how to get leave from work though. Thinking the old ' I feel like shit' excuse might work. Will have to see

Freki

Hmm I'll have to wait for my order to come through on Tuesday (Thanks for the 30usd increase for the DD version blizzard). Still need to figure out how to get leave from work though. Thinking the old ' I feel like shit' excuse might work. Will have to see

Take some of your vacation days like any honest person would? If you don't have any left work overtime before - that's what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom