• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realyn

Bedies wanting to play the game I begin to really be curious about inferno. I mean ... it is blizzard afterall we are talking about. I can't remember them to lie into our faces. Even with stuff like no lan for SC2 they were pretty straightforward.

We all know the distance measurement is fubar in relation to rl - but one guy did the work to analyze the ingame distances:

D3_Distance_Map.jpg

source

So you are 30 feet tall in Diablo 3.

Gotcha.

TylerD

Went on 5 last SK runs with each of my lvl 13s and when he died and the loot dropped I threw all my gear on the ground and watched as the other players scrambled to hoover it all up.

Beta is uninstalled now, bring on 05/15 2:00 am CST!

sazzy

i know there's several hours left for the beta but i decided to uninstall it.

rip off that band aid.. for now

Just finished my last playthrough of of the beta. Didn't max any characters to 13, but I only ended up getting maybe one or two total to 13 in the entire time I've been in the beta. They wiped it too frequently once I got it.

Did pick up some sweet crossbows off the vendor, as well as +2-4 Damage rings and had a Demon Hunter at level 7 or 8 doing ~40 DPS. Which is pretty damn good. I didn't even have pants with stats for her.

I've definitely settled on female Demon Hunter as my first character, even if she doesn't end up being my main in the long run. It's hard to fully gauge how well you'll like each class when you only get a small taste of all the abilities. The male DH just looks kind of skeezy and I think the female VA is better too.

Also, that last unlock on the launch website is
a cinematic, which probably won't exist anywhere else.
It was datamined pretty early on when the site went up. As for the other two, we have another Developer Diary, and Wallpapers.

See here for the datamine: http://www.diablofans.com/news/1143-diablo-iii-darkness-falls-heroes-rise-mini-site/

Kalnos

Banned
While I'm not the biggest fan of female barbarians... I do commend Blizzard for making them look like barbarians and not models in bikini armor like the above. :p

maharg

idspispopd
While I'm not the biggest fan of female Barbarians... I do commend Blizzard for making them look like barbarians and not models in bikini armor like the above. :p

Agree with the bolded. Want impossibly shaped women you can go oggle at the Demon Hunter with her back arched so far back she must have spinal bifida.

suzu

There's other non-bulky female characters to choose from. Barb females are perfectly fine.

They make you sick, really? :p

I wish those "interviews" were a little less scripted. It's really obvious that every word that is said was cleverly crafted by a marketing engineer.

The Blizzcasts are awful. They're not real podcasts so much, like you'll get from some other developers (the old Bungie podcasts were pretty good) as pretty much straight PR talk.

Not to mention how sporadicly they release them. There've only been 17 in a span of 4 years. It was almost a year (358 days) between the recent one and the last one released, and there were 5 month spans between the two before that. I'm not asking for a weekly, or even a monthly podcast, but a little regularity would be nice. They do sort of make up for it with copious blue posts and the panels at Blizzcon though, so I can't be too harsh.

Dresden

I just wish male witch doctors weren't so hunchbacked.

Don't really intend on playing anything else so w/e (although wizard kinda looks tempting).

maharg

idspispopd
Ultra-rare item socket runes that give some small enhancements (other than IAS/increased DPS) to existing skills would be kind of cool though.

What baffles me about the change is, honestly, why they call them runes at all. Should have come up with a new name.

valeo

Ultra-rare item socket runes that give some small enhancements (other than IAS/increased DPS) to existing skills would be kind of cool though.

What baffles me about the change is, honestly, why they call them runes at all. Should have come up with a new name.

I think it's because everyone already associated runes with the new skill system.

Loofy

While I'm not the biggest fan of female barbarians... I do commend Blizzard for making them look like barbarians and not models in bikini armor like the above. :p
I dont mind the frame.. not a fan of the face though.. and the bright orange hair. Shouldve went with more of a copper red.

Something like She-hulk wouldve been better.
VbaRPs.jpg

You pretty much never found any good ones. The only way to get them was trading for dupes.

Dupes? Are you referring to the D2 runes?

I think the guy was asking about when runes dropped in D3. Still seems like a shame they changed it. Would've been cool to decide which skill to socket a rune with.

You pretty much never found any good ones. The only way to get them was trading for dupes.

Ah I see. Feels a little cheap now... like why wouldnt you have a run enabled?

The whole skill system feels like it has changed a lot and I havent' even seen the past types of it. It doesn't really make that much sense to me still...

Dupes? Are you referring to the D2 runes?

I think the guy was asking about when runes dropped in D3. Still seems like a shame they changed it. Would've been cool to decide which skill to socket a rune with.
Yeaaa, that was kind of a big point for me with D3. I liked the idea of finding neat runes to customize skills with. Just clicking them on seems weird..

Twinduct

Man can't wait for them to update the weapon guides to final stats.
I hope there is some hidden set drops. Or at least more than 1-2 that's specific to each class.

Dreamed I was playing last night :<

Negator

Man can't wait for them to update the weapon guides to final stats.
I hope there is some hidden set drops. Or at least more than 1-2 that's specific to each class.

Dreamed I was playing last night :<

I'm not going to look until Nightmare. Bashiok said on twitter that some of the items are super spoilery.

This. It took me so long to understand what happened because I was confused.

Also, has anyone else quickly shoved in runes into armor/weapon for runewords before they went poof?
Dol Um ber Ist
Ko Vex Pul Thul

Good times.

ElyrionX

Droppable runes is a terrible idea anyway.

Agreed. I didn't like it when I first heard of it back when D3 was announced and now that we have this new system, I am glad that they ditched the old one. I absolutely hate having gameplay elements locked away by RNG mechanics.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Agreed. I didn't like it when I first heard of it back when D3 was announced and now that we have this new system, I am glad that they ditched the old one. I absolutely hate having gameplay elements locked away by RNG mechanics.
I'd take that over level restrictions. Just trade what you find on the AH.

At least basic runes themselves (e.g. Lvl 1s, 2s) weren't intended to be rare at all - only the higher level ones. So getting one split on your magic missile, everyone could do - getting 7? Not nearly as easy.

I definitely think there was a missed opportunity there, either having runes as items, or items that modified/enhanced a baseline rune, but the current system is passable, except for the UI, which works, but it still pretty crappy.

There's always room for changes in an expansion.

Boken

Banned
The problem is...

When runes are common (early ranks) - the mechanic is pointless, runes operate just as they do now, you will always have a rune available for your skill.

When they are rare - A. And the power difference between ranks is low, they aren't worth the effort. OR B. The power difference between ranks is high, RNG becomes a lot more punishing, full builds not available to everybody.

Blizzard chose (A) probably mostly because they want everybody to be able to have a "full build" (even if you didnt have rank 7 runes, rank 6 wasn't much weaker). But then the runes weren't worth how rare they would drop, nor how many of them there were...

The problem is...

When runes are common (early ranks) - the mechanic is pointless, runes operate just as they do now, you will always have a rune available for your skill.

When they are rare - A. And the power difference between ranks is low, they aren't worth the effort. OR B. The power difference between ranks is high, RNG becomes a lot more punishing, full builds not available to everybody.

Blizzard chose (A) probably mostly because they want everybody to be able to have a "full build" (even if you didnt have rank 7 runes, rank 6 wasn't much weaker). But then the runes weren't worth how rare they would drop, nor how many of them there were...

Oh I completely agree. And the scenario where having thousands of possible items, for something that so heavily affects the gameplay, more so than gear or gems, wasn't going to work either.

I just think it's would have been possible to have a more compromising solution between what was, and what we have now. Not that what we have now is bad by any means.

I'd take that over level restrictions. Just trade what you find on the AH.

Gonna have to disagree here, because I think you and I are looking at things from opposite perspectives. I mean, the problem I run into with the old system is that levelling after 30 is boring. Once you've unlocked the skills, what does a level up get you? Some incremental improvements to your stats? Your level feels meaningless, and levelling up isn't exciting or fun. Tying unlocks to your level means that every time you level up, you get something new. You check the skill page to see what you unlocked, and you're enticed to try a new build revolving around a skill you wouldn't normally use, but that rune looks so good. You call it a restriction on what you can do, I call it an exciting opportunity to do more things as you progress.

We all know the distance measurement is fubar in relation to rl - but one guy did the work to analyze the ingame distances:

D3_Distance_Map.jpg

source

So have blizzard stated why the distances are like this? I noticed a problem when it said my monk's deadly reach extended 45 yards on the 3rd hit. If they just replace "yards" with "feet" it'll pretty much be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom