• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III has server issues and 5 minutes queue time for playing upon last Season release. How does Blizzard expect to manage Diablo IV's launch?

.Pennywise

Banned
The last Season of Diablo III, which is Season 28, the last one before Diablo IV releases, is now live since last week. This is one of the biggest Seasons updates since years with an all new feature, the Altar of Rites.

C6P70WKCY2YM1676057242534.jpg

More on Season 28

It's been one week since release already, and the servers are on fire, so much so, that in order to play the game you need to do a 5 minute queue, that is, of course, if you managed to properly log-in.

If Blizzard keeps getting trouble managing servers for a 10 years old game. How do they expect to handle Diablo IV's release?

youtube loading GIF by William Wolfgang Wunderbar

That will probably what we see in the first week of release. I'm not sure how game companies don't see these things coming and apologize for the issues. Some pr about not expecting this huge amount of players, blah blah blah.
I assume they know these issues will come up and rather not invest whatever they need and instead just let it go by and get it figured it out later, is it's probably cheaper.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I want to get a job at Blizzard just to fix their infrastructure. After all of these years their shit is still unstable and they still can't manage a launch. I mean the ineptitude is impressive really. Most organizations learn their lessons after a single failure or two. Online gaming is their bread and butter and around two decades after WoW launched, the biggest MMO ever at one point, they still can't grasp the concept of capacity planning, environment sizing, and proper load balancing and resource redistribution. This is like tickle me Elmo my first IT job out of college shit.

Last edited:
Blizzard won't do shit it is going to be s mess.

But blizzard just like a lot of other big developers are too big to fall their franchises always do good... It doesn't matter how much they fuck up.

I was there at D3 launch it was the most incompetent bulllshit ever... The game was giga unbalanced to dorce the use of the auction house and yet D3 is one of best selling games of all time.

D4 will be the same.

Saiyan-Rox

I've tried to play this series and I've no idea why it's so popular.

Each to their own of course just mad it's still seeing server loads.

Reactions: PJX

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love Diablo games, but after plowing through them for a few years even I get sick of them and stop playing. There's only so much mashing and finding uber loot till you top out and lose interest. Ya I know if I keep playing there's that 0.01% chance I find better leg or shoulder pads but enough is enough. It's amazing people can play these games for 10 years. Maybe all these updates and free content are that good to keep playing. I dont know as I bail playing almost none of the new content.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, I remember when 3 launched. I was reviewing it for a Swedish site, and it was a complete mess. Could barely be played. And yes, we factored that into our score, which I believe was absolutely fair.

Pop

First off, 5 mins is nothing

I have been on Diablo 3 all day neither queues or server problems. Probably just your internet

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Blizzard has never had a stable launch. D3 had error 37. D2r was literally unplayable for weeks with sometimes 2 hour queues after they implemented a queue system to try and fix the initial launch problems. D4 will not be different.

Athreous

Queues are real, people saying that they have zero issues might not be in the US/EU servers or are just trolls.
And it's not 5 minutes queue, they can go for more than 30 minutes.

Madflavor

I'll never forget the day D3 launched. I actually took off work, and I think I was able to play for a combined 30 minutes total. I think it wasn't until until 2 days later I stopped getting Error 3006. I learned a valuable lesson though. Never ever waste a vacation day on an online game on launch day.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember D3 at launch. I got it on PC. I forget how close to launch I bought it though. But I remember some server issues too. Not huge though.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
wait btw, is this the same season whereby you can get a set of unique equips for the classes?
I dont remember queue time on console ?

TonyMX

Neo Member
Season 28 released yesterday friday at 5 pm so its a day old, though it shouldn't happen to a 11 yo game, that being said i haven't encountered any problems to play even yesterday 2h before launch and oh boy its great.

Easy fix, make sure there is single player that isn't always online bs, that can be played while waiting. At least people could play a offline character while waiting for queues.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
It will be a thing for like a week and then everything will fall into place and people will forget. Cycle repeats every single big game.. Overwatch 2 was the exact same way

Last edited:

bbeach123

Hint: They cant .

Launch date will be a disaster . Between milions of people trying to log into a server that can barely hold 1/3 of them and hater(and the people who cant get in) trying to DDOS blizzard so noone can play .

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Diablo IV’s launch is going to be a disaster, guaranteed. Just like Diablo III was. If you buy it at launch you won’t be playing it.

L*][*N*K

Banned
People are starved.
Actually this season is very exciting, I haven't gotten in myself yet since I don't care about Ladder I just play for fun so I usually wait a few weeks before jumping into a new season but I honestly want to start this one right away

Don't you remember Diablo 3's launch?

People are starved.
For Diablo games? I don't think so. I mean, right now you can go play Diablo 3 if you want but you also have Diablo 2 Resurrected and Diablo Immortal to play if you are tired of D3. I haven't touched D3 in a while but Immortal has been a great fix. I bought D2 to play up until D4.

For anyone thinking of paying extra to play 4 early...Well, good luck lol
You will probably will get to play it early but for how long is the question. Blizzard has covered their ass:

"**Up to 4 days based on estimated access; actual play time subject to possible outages and applicable time zone differences."

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, you can definitely expect not to be playing the game at launch or for a few days after.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Queues are real, people saying that they have zero issues might not be in the US/EU servers or are just trolls.
And it's not 5 minutes queue, they can go for more than 30 minutes.

Well, I'm in Illinois and have seen no issue besides having to quit the game once because I couldn't remake a game right away. I play solo and am level 450 or so, so far. No queue yet.

TonyMX

Neo Member
Season 28 released yesterday friday at 5 pm so its a day old, though it shouldn't happen to a 11 yo game, that being said i haven't encountered any problems to play even yesterday 2h after launch and oh boy its great.

Top Bottom