• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

Whats the difference between that and just starting a new season? This just gives those who do not play as much time to actually feel they participated in the season and be competitive.

To each their own...

It messes up the leaderboards.

Leaderboards should not span multiple major patches. Everyone should be on the same playing field.

BTW, still looking to get approved to NeoGAF clan :p

Dahbomb

Whats the difference between that and just starting a new season? This just gives those who do not play as much time to actually feel they participated in the season and be competitive.

To each their own...
It changes the dynamic of a season. It sort of negates the work people have put in the early stages of the Ladder when something gets changed later on and they are shafted because they didn't spec for the new patch. Plus there's always the danger of something game breaking in a new patch that can't be fixed fast enough before it ruins the season.

This stuff doesn't matter to people who don't play as much. They aren't going to be competitive even if there's a patch mid season. The people who are ahead will stay ahead of the people who played less than them.

The main good thing about short season sessions is that the season exclusive Legendaries are in regular rotation early. It was excruciating having to wait so long for some of the Season items to start dropping in regular mode because the season was going on for too long. Not everyone plays Season and you are short changing those people by having long seasons.

And IMO.. short seasons actually help out new players more. Most new players don't even want to play past the 200 Paragon points when you get most of your end game gear. You can EASILY attain that many Paragon points and gear within 2-3 months. You play for a couple of months, take a break from the game then come back to a fresh new season to start over. Unlike the first season which most people played for the first month then didn't play for 5 months.

I mean we have someone reaching 1000 Paragon points in a 2-3 month Season... that to me is insane and tells me that the season is long enough.

MrDaravon

It changes the dynamic of a season. It sort of negates the work people have put in the early stages of the Ladder when something gets changed later on and they are shafted because they didn't spec for the new patch. Plus there's always the danger of something game breaking in a new patch that can't be fixed fast enough before it ruins the season.

This stuff doesn't matter to people who don't play as much. They aren't going to be competitive even if there's a patch mid season. The people who are ahead will stay ahead of the people who played less than them.

The main good thing about short season sessions is that the season exclusive Legendaries are in regular rotation early. It was excruciating having to wait so long for some of the Season items to start dropping in regular mode because the season was going on for too long. Not everyone plays Season and you are short changing those people by having long seasons.

And IMO.. short seasons actually help out new players more. Most new players don't even want to play past the 200 Paragon points when you get most of your end game gear. You can EASILY attain that many Paragon points and gear within 2-3 months. You play for a couple of months, take a break from the game then come back to a fresh new season to start over. Unlike the first season which most people played for the first month then didn't play for 5 months.

I mean we have someone reaching 1000 Paragon points in a 2-3 month Season... that to me is insane and tells me that the season is long enough.

I pretty much agree with all of this. 3 months should be the absolute max for seasons, at least as the game stands right now.

Ironically Seasons also makes me completely not care about the XP buff lol.

Trying to provide motivation for people to keep playing even though 2.2 is so near.

Then gib blood shard or legendary buff :p

I'm already higher in paragon levels on my seasonal character(s) than my non-season ones, with less overall time invested.

I think I'm mostly done until S3 releases. Mostly just finding more optimal/ancient pieces of things I already have, in the extremely long logarithmic tail.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Season ending soon is pretty nice. Can't wait to officially play with 2.2.

Man, talk about short seasons....

The season is ending too soon =/

Agreed. I know a lot of people want fast seasons but man not all of us can play that much. I feel like I just got my DH to 70 and can finally handle T2 and now it's resetting so soon.

I think I need to just play a char up to 70 each season simply to unlock the transmogs and then focus on my normal characters. I don't have time for these quick rolling seasons.

th3dude

Agreed. I know a lot of people want fast seasons but man not all of us can play that much. I feel like I just got my DH to 70 and can finally handle T2 and now it's resetting so soon.

I think I need to just play a char up to 70 each season simply to unlock the transmogs and then focus on my normal characters. I don't have time for these quick rolling seasons.

I'm a very casual player, but I think my agreeing with short seasons isn't really the seasons themselves. To me, it is an indicator that things are changing quickly in the game (i.e. patches) and I like the level of effort still being shown by the developers.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Chillax at the season length guys, I'm pretty sure this season will last longer--but they know how thirsty people are for 2.2 and the new sets, so they probably ended this season early when the live playerbase dropped by 90% the second that the 2.2 ptr went up.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
People were complaining how long the last season was. Now people are complaining about how short this season is. They will never be able to please everyone.

Jedi2016

People were complaining how long the last season was. Now people are complaining about how short this season is. They will never be able to please everyone.
Maybe S3 will be right in the middle. I'm sure then we'll have people on both sides of the fence then.

Radec

Well you can still continue on your DH past T2 in non-season.

Transmog aren't the only things you'll miss in non-season tho.

mileS

for Blizzard games (most games in general but yea) this is always the case. But I think there's a large % of us here and plenty of others that were in the camp of 'last season was way too long' but still think this season should have been a month or two longer.

AlexBasch

Got this game lying around since I found it in a stupid low sale and it's been there uninstalled.

I finished the PS3 version campaign, but I'm reading about the whole seasons thing.

Is it something that I just can join in or is it designed for people who have beaten the game over and over?

Dahbomb

Got this game lying around since I found it in a stupid low sale and it's been there uninstalled.

I finished the PS3 version campaign, but I'm reading about the whole seasons thing.

Is it something that I just can join in or is it designed for people who have beaten the game over and over?
Seasons is for PC version, not on consoles IIRC.

AlexBasch

Seasons is for PC version, not on consoles IIRC.
Yes, should have clarified haha. I have the PC game from that sale. :p Haven't bothered to install it but a couple of friends wanted local coop and bought Diablo 3 PS3 instead.

I'm kinda curious on actually installing the PC version and check that stuff out.

Dahbomb

Seasons are like a restart to the whole game and everyone in the season starts fresh together. It's supposed to capture the essence of leveling up your character from scratch and getting all the loot again. Also allows you to farm specific Legendaries earlier as they are Season exclusive or go for Season Leaderboards/Achievements.

When you finish a Season your entire progress is loaded back into the main game.

Anyone can play Seasons, there's no restriction as far as I know.

Grampasso

Seasons are like a restart to the whole game and everyone in the season starts fresh together. It's supposed to capture the essence of leveling up your character from scratch and getting all the loot again. Also allows you to farm specific Legendaries earlier as they are Season exclusive or go for Season Leaderboards/Achievements.

When you finish a Season your entire progress is loaded back into the main game.

Anyone can play Seasons, there's no restriction as far as I know.

While that is true, I'd whish not having to farm for recipes. That is annoying as hell.

joesmokey

for Blizzard games (most games in general but yea) this is always the case. But I think there's a large % of us here and plenty of others that were in the camp of 'last season was way too long' but still think this season should have been a month or two longer.
This season was generally long enough due to how much loot got buffed this season. It was drastically quicker to ramp up to full set status.

I don't even think it took the usual 50 hours to reach T6 farm status for season 2 (I think a group of us were farming T6 by Sunday).

That being said, this season would have been a month or two longer if it would not have been for patch 2.2. This is pretty much a fluke season length.

Grampasso

Yes, should have clarified haha. I have the PC game from that sale. :p Haven't bothered to install it but a couple of friends wanted local coop and bought Diablo 3 PS3 instead.

I'm kinda curious on actually installing the PC version and check that stuff out.
Just in case I'd suggest you to breeze through normal until you beat the game and reach 70, so you can start a season with adventure mode unlocked. That is much more manageable IMHO.

Just in case I'd suggest you to breeze through normal until you beat the game and reach 70, so you can start a season with adventure mode unlocked. That is much more manageable IMHO.

Yep this is a good advice, Adventure mode makes leveling a lot less painful, in my opinion, at least if you've played the game before. You can just grind those quick bounties, doesn't take long at all, feels a lot better for progressing, and if you're bored of an act you can just swap it doesn't really matter. Mob density is a ton better in adventure mode too so it's more fun to just clear stuff in there.

ViviOggi

Yeah I haven't touched campaign since a week after RoS, there's not a single reason to unless you somehow enjoy Metzen's crap. Good riddance.

Yeah I haven't touched campaign since a week after RoS, there's not a single reason to unless you somehow enjoy Metzen's crap. Good riddance.

Still need to do it once every new season as DH for the bracers recipe, but luckily on normal with strafe+tactical advantage+vault+prepa, it takes like 3hours total. Still annoying though, I wonder if they'll make Malthael drop the patterns in adventure mode at some point(or maybe he does and I just wasted my time last season).

Baliis

Still need to do it once every new season as DH for the bracers recipe, but luckily on normal with strafe+tactical advantage+vault+prepa, it takes like 3hours total. Still annoying though, I wonder if they'll make Malthael drop the patterns in adventure mode at some point(or maybe he does and I just wasted my time last season).

I'm pretty sure he already does in adventure?

ViviOggi

Seems like they did change that at some point, got the recipe from him through adventure mode this season.

Addnan

You made a pretty boring mistake :p

Wickwire

Got my enchantress a new maximus last night....

dWwEwfFl.png

I'm pretty sure he already does in adventure?

It drops in adventure.

They should do boosted leg drops rates on top of the xp/mf thing at the end of seasons.

Seems like they did change that at some point, got the recipe from him through adventure mode this season.

Same here, I just killed Malthael at Torment and he dropped it on first try

You made a pretty boring mistake :p

Well then, now I know ^^. It wasn't so bad though I hadn't done it in a long time and got a bunch of achievements for under 1hour clears(though I obviously already had them, so it was just season achievements which I don't think do anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom