• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

mileS

The Trag'oul set dungeon is insanely easy to master. Going to be easy to finish this season journey. Still having fun with the Necro.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
got my class set! tweaked my build a little to make better use of the stats.

not sure if i'll be able to finish the next chapter.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Got my necro to 70 last night, actually to P42, now have four pcs of Rathma's plus a couple of random legendaries and I'm breezing through T3 with a pet build. Tonight I'm going to push the T levels to see just how much I can handle and start collecting up legend gems.

So far I'm liking the necro pet playstyle. I'm using the skeleton attack and bone golem whirlwind to take down clumps quickly, I'm keeping 10 skel mages up by spamming bone spikes for mana, and I'm plopping army of the dead fairly often due to the 4-pc Rathma perk. Then I have the blood teleport to get around quickly. It's working well but I'm also finding it a rather fun playstyle too. I've no idea just how viable it will be in higher GR's, but I'm gonna try to optimize the gear as much as I can to get me there. It's not quite as large an army as my D2 necro used to run with, but it's more interactive and dare I say it more fun to play, so I'm happy!

Got my necro to 70 last night, actually to P42, now have four pcs of Rathma's plus a couple of random legendaries and I'm breezing through T3 with a pet build. Tonight I'm going to push the T levels to see just how much I can handle and start collecting up legend gems.

So far I'm liking the necro pet playstyle. I'm using the skeleton attack and bone golem whirlwind to take down clumps quickly, I'm keeping 10 skel mages up by spamming bone spikes for mana, and I'm plopping army of the dead fairly often due to the 4-pc Rathma perk. Then I have the blood teleport to get around quickly. It's working well but I'm also finding it a rather fun playstyle too. I've no idea just how viable it will be in higher GR's, but I'm gonna try to optimize the gear as much as I can to get me there. It's not quite as large an army as my D2 necro used to run with, but it's more interactive and dare I say it more fun to play, so I'm happy!

Pet build stays strong into the late GR90s. If you're enjoying it, keep playing it. It has some equipment that is mandatory, but nothing terribly rare and a good version of the scythe needed for the strongest version of the setup happens to be the easiest scythe to rolled well. It's a bit fragile for my tastes higher up but its power can't be understated and it's easy to play.

AlexBasch

Is there an end game guide I should read? I just like to reach Lv.70 and use flasjy skills and whatnot to clear the rifts, I have absolutely no idea of what you guys are talking about here, tbh.

Dreavus

Is there an end game guide I should read? I just like to reach Lv.70 and use flasjy skills and whatnot to clear the rifts, I have absolutely no idea of what you guys are talking about here, tbh.

Once you have a 6pc set it's about refining it from there and seeing how high you can "push" Greater Rifts. Looking for auxiliary legendaries that help the build, getting ancient versions, etc. will all let you go higher.

If you're playing in season you can try for the season journey objectives too.

Do Cold skills inherintly slow down enemies? I thought that the skill had to specify that it applies the "Chill" effect, so I was under the impression that Frozen Orb doesn't apply a "control-impairing effect". But after experimenting just now I noticed that when I fire off an Orb into enemies, the "Slowed!" modifier pops up above their heads. I can't think of any gear effects, Follower (I dismissed my Follower to be sure), or passives that I'm using that would modify Frozen Orb in this way, so does it just slow enemies on its own? The tooltip for Frozen Orb only states:

"Create an orb of frozen death that shreds an area with ice bolts, dealing 393% weapon damage as Cold"

The reason I ask is that I want to make sure that my Frozen Orb is proccing Bane of the Trapped or not.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

are you playing seasons?

just jump into the game and search the communities for season power level. ask someone to power lvl you. should be easy enough since we're over a week into the season.

that'll get you to lvl 70 and maybe a few paragon levels. at that point i usually just find my footing and make sure i have all my gear slots filled out and then find out what difficulty i'm comfortable at. the tasks aren't too difficult early on.

just have a look at all the skills and try to decide on something that works. later on you can check a build on icy veins if you want. there are also communities that will let you join them to get better gear.

work towards all the tasks in the season and you should be fine. if you're on PC i wouldn't mind adding you. i'm not great at this game as most people on here but i'm happy to help out. there is GAF clan you can join too :) if you're not sure about anything then just ask in here :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
having a weird issue with my Crusader, usually its the damage that is my stumbling block, but my damage is fine, Im just getting insta killed in XIII (and even in XII). I have the full set of items for the Hammerdin build, its weird that I die this fast.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyone using an MMO mouse? My Logitech G600's left click is giving out (randomly registering a double click for single clicks) and I'm about to pick up a replacement. I had the Razer Naga previously. Looking at the Corsair Scimitar for my next one:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64938

While the G600 worked well enough, it'll be nice to get away from the weird layout with two concave button sets.

Isaccard

Anyone using an MMO mouse? My Logitech G600's left click is giving out (randomly registering a double click for single clicks) and I'm about to pick up a replacement. I had the Razer Naga previously. Looking at the Corsair Scimitar for my next one:

While the G600 worked well enough, it'll be nice to get away from the weird layout with two concave button sets.

Honestly, I just got another 600 when I needed something new. I've yet to see anything better and no one else offers the "g-key" modifier which I use alot.

And thanks for the carry the other night!

AlexBasch

Once you have a 6pc set it's about refining it from there and seeing how high you can "push" Greater Rifts. Looking for auxiliary legendaries that help the build, getting ancient versions, etc. will all let you go higher.

If you're playing in season you can try for the season journey objectives too.

are you playing seasons?

just jump into the game and search the communities for season power level. ask someone to power lvl you. should be easy enough since we're over a week into the season.

that'll get you to lvl 70 and maybe a few paragon levels. at that point i usually just find my footing and make sure i have all my gear slots filled out and then find out what difficulty i'm comfortable at. the tasks aren't too difficult early on.

just have a look at all the skills and try to decide on something that works. later on you can check a build on icy veins if you want. there are also communities that will let you join them to get better gear.

work towards all the tasks in the season and you should be fine. if you're on PC i wouldn't mind adding you. i'm not great at this game as most people on here but i'm happy to help out. there is GAF clan you can join too :) if you're not sure about anything then just ask in here :)
Okay, thanks!

It's just that I felt really lost with the builds and things you all are writing in here and had no idea what to do.

I'm playing Seasons on both XB1 and PC (double dipped on the Necromancer, god knows why) but starting over kinda stings. Maybe I'll take on your offer since I'm pretty much a newbie in Diablo 3 overall, which is why I kinda fear joining a game since I don't want to ruin someone else's game, haha.

I've never bought an "MMO" mouse, just too many tiny buttons IMO.

I like a fair bit amount of buttons though --- currently using a G502 and it's alright, though I might need to get it replaced under my Best Buy warranty soonish, one button feels like it might give out.

I like the G502 better than the G700s that I've gone through 3-4 of -- that one just isn't made for the side buttons to be used extensively. Doesn't look like they make the G700s anymore though.

Not sure if there's anything else out there right now that I'd really like. The G900 or G903 (wireless charging version) seem decent, but retail for 2x to 3x as much as a G502, which is kinda pushing it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Okay, thanks!

It's just that I felt really lost with the builds and things you all are writing in here and had no idea what to do.

I'm playing Seasons on both XB1 and PC (double dipped on the Necromancer, god knows why) but starting over kinda stings. Maybe I'll take on your offer since I'm pretty much a newbie in Diablo 3 overall, which is why I kinda fear joining a game since I don't want to ruin someone else's game, haha.

whats your username and ill add you

Took a necro to P431 this season and I just don't enjoy it mechanically. Most builds have you casting something to avoid losing damage which is the opposite of fun to me. I much prefer casting to DO damage. I always feel like I'm trying to hold sand. Also the corpse mechanic really blows when you're corpse starved.

Dreavus

having a weird issue with my Crusader, usually its the damage that is my stumbling block, but my damage is fine, Im just getting insta killed in XIII (and even in XII). I have the full set of items for the Hammerdin build, its weird that I die this fast.

I had trouble with this until i had unity going tbh.

Yeah Inarius was fun before the nerf but none of the other builds are appealing to me at all. I'm glad I got my necro time in before the season, been having a good time with archon manald heal wiz and just started a monk to try the raiment/shenlong build.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I had trouble with this until i had unity going tbh.

I assumed I wouldnt need unity until 70+ like with Necro, what with Crusader aready being tankier by nature.

Also icy veins (I know I know) Hammerdin guide doesnt even list unity for solo, I guess I'll need to drop convention then.

edit: I don't have 2 unities lol >_<

Okay tested the bindings. My LoN LTK runs Rabidstrike full time anyway so it was not much to switch. Put a worthless weapon skill in the cube and removed one of the LoN rings and Stricken. Fought Farty McFartButt on TXI. So one fight with Nems and one with the Bindings.

Nem's affixes are about 20% less damage than Bindings' so that will skew things a bit. Fought the same style, full time Eph., Cyclone within every 5 seconds, BlindFlash when ever needed. Kick, kick, kick...

With Nems dropped him around 33 seconds. With the Bindings 18 seconds.

According to forums the clone does proc area damage so it should scale real good against mobs.

Thinking about playing this game for the first time

Is it easy for newcomers to join?

Yup. Fairly straightforward since there is such a wide range of difficulty settings, and it is really easy to switch between them as needed.

I would start with a season hero for the free gear.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Thinking about playing this game for the first time

Is it easy for newcomers to join?

Yep!

Just make sure you get the Reaper of Souls expansion! Buying the battlechest is cheaper anyway. RoS changes the game dramatically...in fact it IS the game. The base game is basically story mode. The real game begins in Adventure Mode which you need RoS to access. Think of the base game as just a warm up. It'll teach you the basics, let you get familiar with your class, and help you decide if you enjoy the gameplay or not. Don't worry about the Necromancer pack just yet unless of course you want to play through the story with it. If you're not sure if you'll stick with it then you could save some money.

Once you unlock Adventure Mode (defeat final story boss) you can do what you want really. Go back to fight bosses, do bounties or rifts. Bounties are just things like clearing areas, cleansing cursed chests, kill bosses, etc. If you do all 5 bounties in an Act you get bonus loot. There are 5 acts (4 in base and 1 in RoS).

Rifts are created by join various areas together into 1 large "map". The first area could be from Act 1, the next from Act 3, the next from a different map in Act 1. Rifts will be at whatever difficulty you have the game set too and as you kill enemies it will fill up a bar. When you fill it up it was spawn a boss. You can loot a Greater Rift key from the boss. Greater Rifts are a bit different. Essentially the same but you can pick more difficulty levels independent of what difficulty your game is so for example you might have the game set to Torment 4 and the next level would be Torment 5. However in the rift you can pick a level that is somewhere in between. also the rift is timed so you need to fill the bar up and kill the boss before it runs out. There are some other differences but I won't get into them all.

Once you settle in to adventure mode you can try out seasons. You start from scratch and can only play with other seasonal players. It's divided into multiple chapters which have a list of tasks you need to complete. This is what the current season looks like:

https://d3resource.com/journey/

Theres a lot more to the game but I've type up enough! If you have any questions or just want someone to play with then just ask :)

Jinroh

I love it when I'm Paragon 300, farming bounties in T11 and right before I complete chapter 4 by myself I start to get insulted on the chat by someone paragon 600 who pretends I'm AFK and just leaching and I end up kicked from the game.

This kind of thing drives me furious, some people deserve a permaban for their shitty behavior.

can you co op them? wouldn't mind trying to help out :)

Don't think so. They are annoying AF, currently working on Helltooth mastery.

No poison damage allows means that if you don't have poison immunity amulet you are fucked in the ass.

Also required to kill enemies 20 at a time with a single stationary spell, but all the enemies in this dungeon are dumb AF and don't actually chase you, so it is super annoying to get them all together. The bosses in the dungeon also love teleporting you INTO the poison.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

No poison damage allows means that if you don't have poison immunity amulet you are fucked in the ass.

Also required to kill enemies 20 at a time with a single stationary spell, but all the enemies in this dungeon are dumb AF and don't actually chase you, so it is super annoying to get them all together.

i don't need to master it. i think i just need to avoid poison and do the kill 20 x4. no luck. i managed to get 20 once...i really do hate set dungeons.

RS4-

i just have the set dungeon to do before finishing slayer. any tips? i hate set dungeons! i'm a witch doctor

I am in the same boat with witch doctor!

I find set dungeons so lame and un-fun. Shit design imo.

dungeons are so shit.

Tips depend on which one you're trying to do, some might be easier than others. I don't think I've actually bothered with any of the WD dungeons.

The Rathma dungeon for necro is by far, the easiest dungeon ever. Then again, I've only done monk, dh, and possibly wiz lol.

edit - check icy veins, and diablofans. Pretty sure they've got some writeups on set dungeons.

dungeons are so shit.

Tips depend on which one you're trying to do, some might be easier than others. I don't think I've actually bothered with any of the WD dungeons.

The Rathma dungeon for necro is by far, the easiest dungeon ever. Then again, I've only done monk, dh, and possibly wiz lol.

edit - check icy veins, and diablofans. Pretty sure they've got some writeups on set dungeons.

They have tips, but they all center around have a specific amulet, which I don't have.

The minibosses all teleport you, which makes it virtually impossible to avoid poison damage.

Alrus

Also required to kill enemies 20 at a time with a single stationary spell, but all the enemies in this dungeon are dumb AF and don't actually chase you, so it is super annoying to get them all together. The bosses in the dungeon also love teleporting you INTO the poison.

This reminds me of the dumb Unhallowed Essence set dungeon. Awful awful awful.

The necro set dungeon (at least the Trag'oul and Rathma) are so easy in comparison.

IceMarker

Finishing the final Season chapter ("Conqueror") should reward a mailed loot bag with three free Primal Ancient items. Gives a reward to people who have all four unlockable Seasonal stash tabs and to those who are dedicated enough to reach there.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think so.

I remember the first step being stupid easy.

YES!! i did it! :D i just avoided all the poison and killed the amount of enemies it said to. that's that done!

not quite sure i'm ready to move on to the next chapter knowing i need to master this to complete it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pet build stays strong into the late GR90s. If you're enjoying it, keep playing it. It has some equipment that is mandatory, but nothing terribly rare and a good version of the scythe needed for the strongest version of the setup happens to be the easiest scythe to rolled well. It's a bit fragile for my tastes higher up but its power can't be understated and it's easy to play.

Holy cow, the power jump from Rathma 4pc to 6pc is immense. I got my full set last night and suddenly monsters literally just melt at the wave of my hand, I don't even need to use half of my skills, I just run around in T6 and stuff simply melts! Currently up to GR39 and it's still seeming fairly easy. And this is with non-ideal gear that I haven't even started to enchant or optimize, heck I don't even have my three legend gems in yet!

Talk about a strong set, damn.

Quantum

I'm a little bummed that Blizzard doesn't offer Haedrig's gifts for both Softcore and Hardcore. I understand that they are giving a full set to jump start the grind, but I specifically have saved my gift thinking I would use it on a Hardcore character.

as far as I can discover, the "mail" system is separated between Softcore and Hardcore so that when you reach an accomplishment (chapter2/3/4) you can only receive it on the "core" you are playing.

This doesn't make sense to me - it wasn't documented when I read the season journey notes (unless I completely missed it).

The reason I really don't like the above answer - I had no problem receiving the challenge rift cache on Softcore side one week and on Hardcore side another.

oh well - maybe that will change in the future, and I do like the helltooth set with an angry chicken.

I've never found a better mouse than the G600, use one both at home and with my laptop at work. I also had used the razer naga and it seemed to get too warm while I used it.

the weird concave design just feels normal to me now and I automatically know what I'm pressing - although I don't routinely use the third and fourth row of side buttons.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Holy cow, the power jump from Rathma 4pc to 6pc is immense. I got my full set last night and suddenly monsters literally just melt at the wave of my hand, I don't even need to use half of my skills, I just run around in T6 and stuff simply melts! Currently up to GR39 and it's still seeming fairly easy. And this is with non-ideal gear that I haven't even started to enchant or optimize, heck I don't even have my three legend gems in yet!

Talk about a strong set, damn.

The EU peeps and I have been speedfarming T13 so far, and let me tell you: even without using Command Skeletons with the Jesseth sets (which gives you a 4x dmg bonus), I'm still wrecking shit. Even in solo, really. Granted, my gear is pretty good (3 lvl 80+ gems, many ancient pieces, good rolls on a number of them), but my weapon isn't even ancient. And I'm not even using an Endless Walk set yet.

Top Bottom