• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III Spoiler Thread - Solving the Mysteries of the Mighty Barbarians

Yeah, you could put all your eggs in one basket. And it was unstable too. Those are not advantages.
Ah, I thought you meant differences from the ones in D2. In this case, I suppose the advantage is that it's the only soulstone left, so either put the Evils in there after you kill their body, or just let their spirits linger around until they get bored and possess another body.

Anustart

Only playing the starter edition, but need to know : are mephisto and baal fought/mentioned? And how does diablo come back?

Only playing the starter edition, but need to know : are mephisto and baal fought/mentioned? And how does diablo come back?

I know this is the spoiler thread, but.. you really need to know ahead of time?

Anyway, Mephisto and Baal are not in the game, although they are probably mentioned (don't specifically recall) as they are all trapped in the Black Soulstone, apparently.

Even in a thread dedicated to talking about it, I can't bring myself to just spell out the end of the story for someone, but it's pretty easy to put together from the rest of the thread. And someone will just spell it out for you anyway.

So... uh am I the only one who noticed the uncanny resemblance Diablo had to the Xenomorph queen from the Alien movies?

Yeah he grew quite a set of hips from his host I guess, haha.

Haunted

Mentioned but not fought.

Diablo is freed from the Black Soulstone, unifying the other 6 lords of hell within him.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Never had the chance to follow the lore closely enough to really understand the prime evil/demon hierarchy in these games. I also do not plan on playing D3 for quite some time. Would someone care to break down all the main demons in the game and the prime evils for me? Or link me to a freakishly detailed flowchart/summary page?

Tess3ract

Banned
I have to say that Diablo was weirdly sexy.
Another possible explanation from the lore stems from the Sin War novels, where Diablo is said to take the form of his viewer's greatest fear (that he once terrified himself by his own reflection). This Demon may in fact be how Blizzard Entertainment thinks the modern gamer would visualize the Lord of Terror as the worst fear imaginable, while maintaining the overall dinosaur-like reptilian design of Diablo.

A girl

Junie12

I was disappointed by the happy ending in this game :/

I was hoping for a cliffhanger like in D2 but that didn't happen, I wonder what BS stuff they're gonna pull out for the expansion. I hope it's not a rescue Leah mission, I don't want another happy ending, this is a Diablo game for fucks sake! I want my bad ending dammit!

I was disappointed by the happy ending in this game :/

I was hoping for a cliffhanger like in D2 but that didn't happen, I wonder what BS stuff they're gonna pull out for the expansion. I hope it's not a rescue Leah mission, I don't want another happy ending, this is a Diablo game for fucks sake! I want my bad ending dammit!

While it doesn't really end in what you could call a cliffhanger (all the prime evils being defeated for the time being), there are quite a few loose ends and room for the story to grow before we inevitably end up having to kill prime evils again.

Imperius is gonna go crazy, track down and shatter the black soulstone and free all seven. Calling it now.

Baal + Mephisto fight simultaneously for second expansion

Haunted

Never had the chance to follow the lore closely enough to really understand the prime evil/demon hierarchy in these games. I also do not plan on playing D3 for quite some time. Would someone care to break down all the main demons in the game and the prime evils for me? Or link me to a freakishly detailed flowchart/summary page?
There are 7 lords of hell.

The 3 prime evils, the brothers
  • Diablo, Lord of Terror
  • Mephisto, Lord of Hatred
  • Baal, Lord of Destruction

The 4 lesser evils
  • Duriel, Lord of Pain
  • Andariel, Maiden of Anguish
  • Belial, Lord of Lies
  • Azmodan, Lord of Sin

At the start of Diablo III, only Belial and Azmodan are undefeated.

I have to admit, I felt some dissapointment in the "happy ending" also. Since when do Diablo games have happy endings? None of them have had a happy ending! Not a single one! I really hope they don't save Leah. Don't make this into Warcraft. And I really hope we fight Mephisto and Baal in the expansion(s). I miss them and would love to see them in this game.

raphier

Banned
We need new prime evils. Rehashing same evil is not fun in my eyes. Imagine all the angels get corrupted and turn evil to kill humanity as they deem us wrong. Now that's dark. And the only hope of survival lies in trying to shift the realm outside of the reach of magic, the Earth as we know it today...

darksagus

I want Leah to come back in an expansion, without her there's not really a guide anymore like Deckard. Tyrial is still around but I don't relate to him as much and he's gonna be hanging out in heaven it seems like.

Leah inherited some demonic powers when the wanderer (who had Diablo's soulstone in his forehead at the time) boned Adria. There you go.

But did he keep his cloak on at the time or was Adria into that kinky shit with stones embedded into your forehead?

Diablo looks like fucking Queen of Blades without boobs (and red). For shame, Blizzard.

We need new prime evils. Rehashing same evil is not fun in my eyes. Imagine all the angels get corrupted and turn evil to kill humanity as they deem us wrong. Now that's dark. And the only hope of survival lies in trying to shift the realm outside of the reach of magic, the Earth as we know it today...

This is plausible since we now know that they already voted once and Tyreal cast the only vote in humanity's favor. Now that he's just a bag of bones Imperius might just tell him to fuck off and start owning dudes all up over the Sanctuary.

Ha, what if in order to defeat Imperius you have to enlist the help of Diablo? Best companion character ever. Can you imagine the Fox News backlash of that? Dude!

Rufus

But did he keep his cloak on at the time or was Adria into that kinky shit with stones embedded into your forehead?
Hey, she's a witch, she could be into that sort of thing for all we know.
But I don't think the devil will fuck you face to face. Doggy all the way. With Rammstein's 'Bück Dich' playing in the background.

This is surprisingly amusing to think about.

Rufus

This is plausible since we now know that they already voted once and Tyreal cast the only vote in humanity's favor.
I'm pretty sure I heard Itherael say that both him and Auriel voted in favour of humanity as well, unless I misunderstood that. And at the very end, before you go to fight the last fight, Tyrael says something to that effect as well.

It was pretty late, there's always the chance that I could have misheard things, but it stuck out as a glaring inconsistency to me, then.

The vote was split, and Tyrael made the deciding vote. They word it strangely at first in the game, making it sound like Tyrael was the only one to vote to save humanity, but it was just that his was the deciding vote.

Yeah, Imperius was confident Tyrael would vote to extinguish Sanctuary, and apparently tie votes go to Imperius. (Kind of a weird system they have up there.) But instead Tyrael voted to save them and Imperius was outnumbered.

Another sketchy retcon is that it's apparently a revelation--to Cain, anyway--that the reason Aidan was acting all weird and grumpy and then left with a trail of demons in his wake was because he was struggling to contain Diablo. No one noticed the soulstone embedded in his forehead? Excellent makeup? Artful hood positioning?

Another sketchy retcon is that it's apparently a revelation--to Cain, anyway--that the reason Aidan was acting all weird and grumpy and then left with a trail of demons in his wake was because he was struggling to contain Diablo. No one noticed the soulstone embedded in his forehead? Excellent makeup? Artful hood positioning?

There was a trailer cinematic showing Aidan traveling, way before Diablo II was released...it never made the final game, but it shows the spot on his forehead. It just looks like a big scar, easily concealed. It looked like that in the D2 cinematics, too.

I actually don't remember seeing his face in the cinematics, but since the box cover showed a giant hole in his skull, I always pictured it kind of protruding out like a backwards horn, haha.

Just finished Normal last night. Very fun. That ending though was garbage. "And humans and angels learned to live together..." You don't remember when the angels were one vote away from exterminating mankind? Or when the top angel was about to kill you before he suddenly collapsed? I also didn't feel like the character was even on the same level of Diablo. Watch Archangel vs Archdemon fight. Experience actual last boss fight. Anti-climactic.

zou

I hated how the boss fights barerely stood out from the random mini boss fights. Act 3 they at least added some pretty cool level design, but with both Act 1 and 2 I wasn't sure I completed the act until the game prompted me to travel onwards.

Though I'm not sure I would even consider Act 4 to be its own, too short and base camp is act 3...

Returners

The ending is... non-existent.

They didn't foretell what Alaric would be doing (unlike D2 with Baal) or if its going to be Alaric at all.

The Leah parts were well done and I was generally surprised that Tyrael fell from the sky (and the circumstances surrounding it).

Just feel that they could have done a better job explaining how Azmodan is leading the charge from Arreat. Considering the Worldstone was shattered, making mortal realm vulnerable to Hell.

Did anyone understand the last cinematic? When Tyrael said he now join the Angels again... as a mortal? How does that work?

zashga

I also don't understand Tyreal's change though. No longer Justice, now Wisdom? Isn't there already an Archangel of Wisdom? So confused.

Plus, Tyrael is kind of an idiot in this game. I don't see how he can be the embodiment of wisdom after failing to notice that Leah is the devil's daughter and letting Adria humiliate him at the end of Act 3. Dude's just not very smart.

The only thing he's good for in this game is opening doors. Maybe there's a spot on the council for that.

Pimpbaa

Well, I just finished and enjoyed pretty much everything about the game. Even the story, which I don't see as much worst than your average game today (certainly better than your average jrpg story). Only things I didn't like were crappy loot from bosses and dialog taking too long to skip when retrying after you die (Diablo fight in particular). Also disappointed there was no jungle themed act since they were recreating the themes from D2, maybe in the expansion. Would like to see the other 2 prime evils return in expansions.

finshed it.

Hope they bring Leah back as a guide since they FUCKING KILLED CAIN! Man that was a bummer, he was like the last link of the old Diablos to Diablo 3, meh whatever. I thought the angels thing was kinda of stupid, and over the top, also the whole 7 demons combined and then dies? Sometimes less is more, and if we just killed all 7 prime evils into 1, ....what else is there? I hate when games do that.

Otherwise I liked the game, it going to be a painful wait for an xp though....

edit: GIVE ME A DAMN NERCO IN THE XP ALSO!

edit 2: Tyrael is also the most bumbling angel ever....

The problem for me is not really the story, but the storytelling aspect.

You are the Nephalems, the group who will destroy Diablo but the focus in most of the CG cutscenes, and some of the in-game once are not on you. I felt a disparation. I knew I was important, I knew my role in the story but can at least one of you at least acknowledge me in it?

I also expected some of the important angels to die at least. It was hinted by that prophecy. Didn't expect that when it was said that "When Valor turned into Wrath' meant that he just gets really angry.

And the ending. It ends with Tyrael. Not you, the group that actually went and kicked Diablo's ass. I love the dude but all I get is a thank you text message (from an angel) in game? That's all? Argh.

Game is fun as hell though. I'm day one for expansion packs etc. Just frustrated at the story.

Imperius is gonna go crazy, track down and shatter the black soulstone and free all seven. Calling it now.

Baal + Mephisto fight simultaneously for second expansion

They hinted about different Gods and evil via Covetous Shen. I hope they go with that.

I also expected some of the important angels to die at least. It was hinted by that prophecy. Didn't expect that when it was said that "When Valor turned into Wrath' meant that he just gets really angry.

That prophecy clearly refers to the first expansion ;p

They hinted about different Gods and evil via Covetous Shen. I hope they go with that.

I really hope they don't. The heavy metal heaven/hell theme is one of the things that still truly sets the lore of Diablo apart from WoW.

I guess they are opening the door with Covetous Shen and the monk, so it could happen. I'm just not sure I trust Blizzard to do that right now.

They need to make an expansion where you go on crazy adventures with Covetous Shen looking for that gem. It would be awesome.

I think pretty much all the writing in this game sucks, but the game has a really fun cast of voices, James Hong especially. I fuckin' love that guy.

Right!? He has this weird, feminine swagger when he walks, with a small waist, large bust, and big hips.

...Kinda weird!
Not gonna lie, i kept staring at Diablo's boobs in horror.

Anyway, i agree that the heavy metal hell aesthetic defines Diablo, but they could insert a little eastern mythology/aesthetic in. I mean have you read the oriental description of hell? Crazy.

Lazlo

Just waiting for expansion storyline of bringing leah back as the replacement angel for Tyreal or some nonsense like that. That and having angels turn evil. And they killed a few characters so why not kill tyreal too.

-_-'

K.Sabot

The only thing blizzard is good at these days is killing off their good characters. Either by character assassination (Starcraft 2) or straight up killing them (Warcraft and Diablo)

Raide

I hope the Expansion pack also deals with the Followers and their quests. Would be pretty awesome to go with the Templar to ruin the Order. :D

Anyone else get a bit sad when they saw Warriv's body and Caravan all mangled up?

Top Bottom