• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III Spoiler Thread - Solving the Mysteries of the Mighty Barbarians

Suairyu

Banned
It might have been nice if that all out battle between heaven and hell on Sanctuary, as hinted at in the prologue, had happened.

Also people who think D3 is worse written than 2 or 1 need to go back. 2 is just a bunch of really long speeches, poorly written. The CG cutscenes are tight, but then so they are in 3.

D1 hides its bad writing somewhat by having so little of it, but what it does have are monologues.

It's never been a well-written series.

The storytelling in D3 is much improved, if nothing else.

Not that that says much.

Macmanus

I
The storytelling in D3 is much improved, if nothing else.

Totally, completely and utterly disagree. The storytelling is easily the worst in the series. Less is more in the Diablo universe. We don't need Azmodan's stupid fat fire-hologram face popping up every 10 minutes dropping vapid taunts and exposition on me - not to mention the same exact treatment in the next act with Diablo. We don't need a family sized portion of cliche tropes piled on to give us reason why our hero is the hero.

In fact, the D2 story telling was so incredibly vastly superior it's mind blowing. The story itself was dumb, but the way it was presented was amazing. We start out in an insane asylum and follow the story of a happless observer gone mad by the the demon's torment. Only at the end do we piece together a scenario that doesn't bare great consequence to our actions, but still shows the relatable horror this hapless observer had to endure.

I even remember the teaser cinematic for D2 before it was launched. The unnamed hero of D1 slowly making his way east in a caravan as rain fell around him, cryptically monologuing about past and future events. It was brief, succinct, and subtle. Everything D3 wasn't.

Diablo says more in his intro sequence alone in 3 than in all previous Diablo games and trailers put together, and not one bit of it is interesting.

Also Tyrael and his new voice actor are so much worse than 2.

Tiamant

I read that Metzen would like to continue the story of Leah and her redemption.

Ungh, here goes the new Arthas/Kerrigan.

Kunan

-Leah is ressurected, amongst the holiest of angels and the greatest of warriors, after being possessed and destroyed by Diablo-
Leah: lol uncle you and your stories

Suairyu

Banned
Totally, completely and utterly disagree. The storytelling is easily the worst in the series. Less is more in the Diablo universe. We don't need Azmodan's stupid fat fire-hologram face popping up every 10 minutes dropping vapid taunts and exposition on me - not to mention the same exact treatment in the next act with Diablo. We don't need a family sized portion of cliche tropes piled on to give us reason why our hero is the hero.

In fact, the D2 story telling was so incredibly vastly superior it's mind blowing. The story itself was dumb, but the way it was presented was amazing. We start out in an insane asylum and follow the story of a happless observer gone mad by the the demon's torment. Only at the end do we piece together a scenario that doesn't bare great consequence to our actions, but still shows the relatable horror this hapless observer had to endure.

I even remember the teaser cinematic for D2 before it was launched. The unnamed hero of D1 slowly making his way east in a caravan as rain fell around him, cryptically monologuing about past and future events. It was brief, succinct, and subtle. Everything D3 wasn't.
Uh, yeah, the CG is nice. It always is.

But the in game storytelling is just monologues. Painfully slow, poorly written monologues lasting for minutes at a time.

D3 integrates it into the gameplay itself. Characters banter as you continue playing. NPC conversations are much more taught. It's a world of improvement.

Macmanus

But the in game storytelling is just monologues. Painfully slow, poorly written monologues lasting for minutes at a time.

D3 integrates it into the gameplay itself. Characters banter as you continue playing. NPC conversations are much more taught. It's a world of improvement.

You had NPCs burp a couple of interesting tidbits and pieced together the story yourself in D2. It wasn't much, but it wasn't the hamfisted exposition D3 shoves down your throat.

D3 integrates into gameplay via Hellfire Hologram and Diablo Dubbing. It's tacky and simply unnecessary. The story in all of these games are poor. So the less they tell it, the better.

The banter between mercs and your character in D3 was awesome. I will completely give you that one. In fact - that was easily the best executed story implementation.

Uh, yeah, the CG is nice. It always is.

You miss the point: It wasn't the CGI. The CGI wasn't actually that nice. It was the way they set up nuanced mystery with tender allusions to the past game. D3 makes no such effort and goes full Michael Bay with corny ass explosions all over the map.

Sure they hand you more story through actual game play - but if it's a plate of shit to begin with why would I want to be constantly eating that plate of shit?

Honestly I think it was both a step forward and a step back. The world of Diablo III felt much more alive, thanks in large part to the wonderful NPCs scattered along its fringe. None of that credit can be passed along to the main story, which even manages to be grating during the cinematics at times. I never got tired of watching Diablo II's cinematics, but I have no interest whatsoever in Diablo III's. They just aren't terribly interesting or surprising, and that's what's missing compared to those moments in Diablo II. God, that moment at the end of the game, when Marius utters the word "Baal" and completely loses his shit...nothing in Diablo III's cutscenes even comes close to that. Not even in the same league.

That said, I think it's important that we don't pile too many accolades on Diablo II. It was disparaged upon release for the "ya just missed him! you suck!" tone to every bit of story which deigned to involve the player, and I think that's still an accurate criticism. Diablo III involves the player in much more meaningful ways...it just doesn't do it very well at all. In fact it does it so horribly that I long for the days of operating quietly behind the scenes and letting the chips in the great cosmic conflict fall where they may.

Lord of Destruction is really the only entry in the series that nailed it. The cutscenes were stellar, with more style than all of the Diablo III cinematics put together. You showed up at the fortress as an important figure, and you interacted with this remarkable group which one of the most popular classes hailed from...awesome!! Finally we see some of that great back story explored, finally we get to see the characters we're actually playing interacting with their own kind, finally we feel like we really have a stake in the conflict. But that was it! Very little exposition is needed. It was there if you wanted it, but as soon as you show up in the fortress you are sucked in. That final cutscene flows perfectly from the moment Baal goes down; it manages to finish the story that began with Marius and Tyreal while still feeling like our story, like the player's story. Neither Diablo II nor Diablo III accomplished this. The original Diablo comes close (ultimately failing by stripping the player of control), but the manner in which the world of Sanctuary was filled out and explored in Act V made for something special.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The fact that the story isn't presented in super-long monologues is a vast improvement. I also really dig the further characterization of the player characters and NPCs.

However, the main plot itself is just really predictable and uninteresting. The CG cutscenes are a sight to behold but the actual plot within is lame.

All the good credit goes to the people who wrote all the ancillary dialogue for the followers, artisans, and townsfolk. All the bad credit goes to the people who wrote the main plot, namely Metzen. The guy is slipping. It's been downhill since the original Starcraft.

You had NPCs burp a couple of interesting tidbits and pieced together the story yourself in D2. It wasn't much, but it wasn't the hamfisted exposition D3 shoves down your throat.

Oh come on... they aren't shoved down your throat... You don't even HAVE to listen to them. You can just as easily take the same approach in Diablo 3 that you got in Diablo 2 and keep the story telling to a minimum via the cutscenes (which are skippable in themselves) but the exposition peppered through out the game is so easy to skip so I don't see how its shoved down our throats... If you couldn't skip them, and were forced to listen to it all, than I could totally see your argument, but that isn't the case.

And when Azmodan is doing his taunts, it isn't like you have to pay any attention to him... I was to busy grinding that outside of his presence I didn't even know what the fuck he said.

Bahaha. My new prediction for Titan: some sort of merging of the WC/SC/Diablo universes where all the stories come together as one!

Bahaha. My new prediction for Titan: some sort of merging of the WC/SC/Diablo universes where all the stories come together as one!

Maybe it'll be like Zelda and we'll find out that the Blizzardverse is both shared and cyclical!

...nah, we're giving Metzen too much credit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I was to busy grinding that outside of his presence I didn't even know what the fuck he said.

He was saying...

"YOU WILL NEVER WIN."

"I KNOW YOU JUST WON THAT THING I JUST PREVIOUSLY SAID YOU WOULDN'T WIN. BUT NOW I MEAN IT THIS TIME. YOU WON'T WIN"

"OKAY. ABOUT THAT THING I JUST SAID EARLIER. ABOUT MEANING IT THIS TIME. I LIED. I LET YOU WIN THAT THING. BUT THIS NEXT THING YOU WONT WIN. FOR REAL THIS TIME. NO LIES"

"HEY. YOU JUST KILLED EVERYTHING AND NOW WE'RE FACE TO FACE. I KNOW YOU PRETTY MUCH JUST WRECKED THE EVERLOVING SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING THAT I SAID YOU WOULDN'T. BUT THIS TIME, YOU WON'T WIN. CAUSE YOU'RE FIGHTING ME"

And then he died.

Zzoram

Both D2 and SC1 had better story than D3 and SC2. I think the problem is that Blizzard writers have changed their style completely to cater to idiots that can't understand subtlety (use of focus groups due to a more corporate culture). All their dialogue now is ridiculously expository because they're afraid that someone might not understand very simple and clear story points. The stories make no sense and seem to be an afterthought added after the cut scenes they thought would look cool were rendered.

All game you want to put the evils in the black soul stone and destroy it to destroy them. You kill Diablo and then you... toss the black soul stone instead of destroying it. WTF.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
All game you want to put the evils in the black soul stone and destroy it to destroy them. You kill Diablo and then you... toss the black soul stone instead of destroying it. WTF.

I think the black soulstone was inside Diablo, which is why we saw it fall after Diablo disintegrated. They tossed him, not the black soulstone itself.

Although i wonder why they tossed him, did they forget the soulstone was inside him or did they think that because Diablo "died"(lol you know he's coming back in the next game), that all the evil souls inside him were too?

Ferrio

Banned
I think the black soulstone was inside Diablo, which is why we saw it fall after Diablo disintegrated. They tossed him, not the black soulstone itself.

Although i wonder why they tossed him, did they forget the soulstone was inside him or did they think that because Diablo "died"(lol you know he's coming back in the next game), that all the evil souls inside him were too?

Because all the characters i nthe game were outright stupid.

Seriously at the end of the game the templare goes something like "Hey.. I bet Leah's mom was that other witch for the coven!"

No shit.

Atrus

Gold Member
Got to love Tyrael becoming the Archangel of Wisdom. Nothing he's done has been wise outside of stopping Heaven from annihilating Sanctuary, as he's been a direct pawn for the scheme of the Prime Evils.

Not that you need to be wise when the agents of the Prime Evils and the Prime Evils themselves tell you of their plans and where to go next.

There is another portal to hell Diablo? Well thank you, I think I'll close that one too.

Oh what's that Magda? The second shard of Tyrael's sword is in the 'Ancient Ruin'! Why I honestly had no clue before, I'll get right on it.

I also like how we spend like 4 or 5 dungeons putting together Zoltan Khuls blood, body, head, and left nut together because he was so powerful the Horadrim could not kill him, yet we can kill him like a regular mob and he's not heard from again.

raphier

Banned
What if Nephalem means God?

Half Angel and Half Human.
half demon. But what if the people thought so, but actually it was just god taking a human form and screwing the world outside of Sanctuary just to make it have more sense. ; ; Kulle saw it, that's why he died so easy.

linkboy

Got to love Tyrael becoming the Archangel of Wisdom. Nothing he's done has been wise outside of stopping Heaven from annihilating Sanctuary, as he's been a direct pawn for the scheme of the Prime Evils.

We see stuff like that happen in games all the time.

Hell, look at Zelda, how many times has the Princess gotten the Triforce of Wisdom and still acted like a total fucking idiot. Especially in Ocarina, holy shit she's retarded.

Haunted

Disappointing that they didn't do anything with the D2 classes, was hoping for some throwbacks there. Also disappointed that they went the boring happy ending route instead of the classic bleak outlook Diablo games normally end on. Feels weak.

Also while watching the BTS DVD they seemed to be proud of making the followers have actual personalities and identities this time around... and then proceed to call them the generic Enchantress, Scoundrel and Templar in-game instead of using their fucking actual names, which automatically makes them more like a template and more faceless than any of the mercenaries in D2. Rookie mistake, really.

He was saying...

"YOU WILL NEVER WIN."

"I KNOW YOU JUST WON THAT THING I JUST PREVIOUSLY SAID YOU WOULDN'T WIN. BUT NOW I MEAN IT THIS TIME. YOU WON'T WIN"

"OKAY. ABOUT THAT THING I JUST SAID EARLIER. ABOUT MEANING IT THIS TIME. I LIED. I LET YOU WIN THAT THING. BUT THIS NEXT THING YOU WONT WIN. FOR REAL THIS TIME. NO LIES"

"HEY. YOU JUST KILLED EVERYTHING AND NOW WE'RE FACE TO FACE. I KNOW YOU PRETTY MUCH JUST WRECKED THE EVERLOVING SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING THAT I SAID YOU WOULDN'T. BUT THIS TIME, YOU WON'T WIN. CAUSE YOU'RE FIGHTING ME"

And then he died.
As I mentioned in another thread, the villains are straight out of a saturday morning cartoon.

Riggs

Banned
Disappointing that they didn't do anything with the D2 classes, was hoping for some throwbacks there. Also sisappointed that they went the boring happy ending route instead of the classic bleak outlook Diablo games normally end on. Feels weak.

Also while watching the BTS DVD they seemed to be proud of making the followers have actual personalities and identities this time around... and then proceed to call them the generic Enchantress, Scoundrel and Templar in-game instead of using their fucking actual names, which automatically makes them more like a template and more faceless than any of the mercenaries in D2. Rookie mistake, really.

As I mentioned in another thread, the villains are straight out of a saturday morning cartoon.

Casey Hudson didn't like happy endings either you know.

Haunted

But bleak/bittersweet endings fit Diablo so well.

It's probably unfair of me to think of it that way, but happy Hollywood endings almost always feel really fake and focus-grouped to me. :/

Haunted

What if Nephalem means God?

half demon. But what if the people thought so, but actually it was just god taking a human form and screwing the world outside of Sanctuary just to make it have more sense. ; ; Kulle saw it, that's why he died so easy.
Well, there is no god in the world of Diablo. You have the universe origin story of Anu and Tathamet (supremely powerful beings, embodiment of good and evil bla bla), but they're long gone/retired, so there's nothing resembling a god in the current Diablo lore.

The Christian concept of Angels and Demons is converted to be real people with extraordinary powers, Diablo lore has Heaven and Hell as actual physical places instead of metaphorical abstractions like in the real world. Nephalem being an amalgam of Angels and Demons and having special powers is not a new concept either. The Book of Cain does a better job of explaining Nephalem, their powers (and their subsequent weakening due to a modification of the worldstone) than the game itself ever does, though.

Both D2 and SC1 had better story than D3 and SC2. I think the problem is that Blizzard writers have changed their style completely to cater to idiots that can't understand subtlety (use of focus groups due to a more corporate culture). All their dialogue now is ridiculously expository because they're afraid that someone might not understand very simple and clear story points. The stories make no sense and seem to be an afterthought added after the cut scenes they thought would look cool were rendered.

Yeah, it's not very intelligent writing, sadly.

But some of this strangeness also probably stems from the fact that their CG division is so removed from the rest of the company, I can imagine that the image of a falling Diablo was incorporated into the gameplay some way before (like delivering the final blow at the edge, or a crumbling platform or something), but they ended up not making any connection from gameplay to CG, making Diablo's "fall" (toss?) feel pretty hamfisted and... well, stupid.

Tiamant

Act II would have been so much better if they used the enchantress companion as the true Belial instead of the predictable little twat. Just imagine going to free the emperor (whom you are 99% sure is Belial) and then she backstabs you stealing all the gear you spent on her in the process. Bam! You have the "Lord of Lies" theme fleshed out with gameplay implications and true rage. Hire me Blizz, I'm cheap.

As for Azmodan they nailed it, talking that quantity of irrelevant crap has to be one huge sin.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
In diablo 1 the butcher just goes "ahh, fresh meat" while bum-rushing as soon as you open the door to his little slaughter-room. He was built up splendidly by the dying soldier on the steps of the church, and if you were there for the story the drunkard in the corner had a magnificent little story to tell you of his encounter with the butcher. The story is there, the story is serviceable, but the story doesn't dictate the pace of any of this. And when you're replaying a game 20+ times, brevity is very appreciated.

I can't help but be disappointed at blizzard squandering this opportunity to make something interesting. They knew people would play this game until the end-times regardless of what story they put in. To me it seemed they strove to make something that even at it's best would be incredibly standard-fare fantasy.

*causes explosion of undead and deaths of hundreds of townsfolk*
*is captured via a simple ruse and gets deckard cain killed by some chump*
*is tricked by the worst disguise ever*
*never figures out that the incredibly suspicious witch is evil*
*can't tell that the oddly magical girl born 9 months after tristram is the devil's daughter*
*gives up just because*
*decides he can't help you fight for no reason*
*forgets about unstable magical rock containing all the devils*

I will now be... WISDOM.

Zultan kulle pretty much knew we was being played for suckers, Why does Diablo sound so camp on act 4 when you hear him taunt you during gameplay? I couldn't take him seriously at all, I didn't really like Tyreal becoming human forever and taking up wisdom instead of justice, he pretty much did nothing

Rufus

Well, all humans are by definition Nephalem, most just don't rise to their potential. Humans being angel/demon hybrids means he couldn't have become human, other than by whatever magic Blizzard chooses to address this with. Provided that they care.
The whole concept of the world(s) doesn't make a lick of sense as it stands now anyway. If the arch angels just come into existence from the arch, then why are they representations of human concepts, when humanity came into the equation last? (And why do most of them look male, with one being obviously female? Sexual dimorphism in beings that just pop into existence via their arch is odd.) Same with the prime and lesser evils. Why is there a lord of sin in hell? What is sin in hell?
You have to assume that everyone who provides exposition on these matters is just wrong and spouting myths for it to make sense.

Conclusion: It's stupid genre filth written in a bubble and we're thinking harder about this than the writers ever did.

He didn't seem to like good writing, either. Wanting to keep the ending 'high level' and whatnot.

Haunted

Nephalem aren't immortal.

Anyway, the biggest mystery about Diablo is and always has been why the wildlife and monsters from hell have so much human equipment on them.

Discuss.

I'm glad Adria got away, since she was like the only character not to be tricked by anyone. She has the potential to be a more interesting villain than the Evils in an expansion but they'll probably just continue with the cartooniness. I'd like to see a triple cross where she sacrificed Diablo on purpose and the end of the game is all according to her plan. I'm rooting for her to come out on top. Way too happy an ending for a Diablo game.

Nephalem aren't immortal.

Anyway, the biggest mystery about Diablo is and always has been why the wildlife and monsters from hell have so much human equipment on them.

Discuss.
Once you hit Nightmare (so busy lately I'm still only on Act 2 NM) it becomes hilarious how all these dead villagers and townsfolk are carrying huge claymores and breastplates. Maybe if they actually used them they wouldn't have been killed by trash mobs.

Haunted

Once you hit Nightmare (so busy lately I'm still only on Act 2 NM) it becomes hilarious how all these dead villagers and townsfolk are carrying huge claymores and breastplates. Maybe if they actually used them they wouldn't have been killed by trash mobs.
Well if the qualification to become the ARCHANGEL OF WISDOM is so low that fucking Tyrael of all people fits the bill, just imagine the intellectual capacity of your average Diablo villager.

Macmanus

The fact that the story isn't presented in super-long monologues is a vast improvement. I also really dig the further characterization of the player characters and NPCs.

However, the main plot itself is just really predictable and uninteresting. The CG cutscenes are a sight to behold but the actual plot within is lame.

All the good credit goes to the people who wrote all the ancillary dialogue for the followers, artisans, and townsfolk. All the bad credit goes to the people who wrote the main plot, namely Metzen. The guy is slipping. It's been downhill since the original Starcraft.

Diablo has never had super-long monologues, and Metzen was an art director for SC.

Oh come on... they aren't shoved down your throat... You don't even HAVE to listen to them.

They are absolutely shoved down your throat. No you don't have to listen to them, but did anyone playing them for the first time not listen to them?

You can just as easily take the same approach in Diablo 3 that you got in Diablo 2 and keep the story telling to a minimum via the cutscenes

Uh, no? Did you actually play Diablo 3? You remember how each act had an exponential amount of cut scenes, then on top of that the acts were parced with those random scribble CGI moments and character back story. Sorry, but this is dead wrong.

He was saying...

"YOU WILL NEVER WIN."

And then he died.

Perfect, just perfect.

Wow, just encountered one of the worst mobs ever in hell. Throwing fire, coupled with lasers and immune minions. Plus add to the fact it there was only a straight line to go in(act 2 where you have to disable the machines)...wow terrible. I just left the game lol as I couldn't even pass get pass them. And it was right at the very start where the checkpoint is so every time I restarted I'd just be bombarded with firebombs

Macmanus

dude. Go play Diablo and Diablo 2 again. Every character has multiple, super long monologues. Your memory is screwing with you.

I finished both within two weeks of D3 launch. So unless three paragraphs of exposition constitutes super-long monologues - just no. You're incorrect or have the attention span of a gnat or simply don't know what a monologue is.

Rufus

dude. Go play Diablo and Diablo 2 again. Every character has multiple, super long monologues. Your memory is screwing with you.
Super long? Eh. None of the prime evils say more than one sentence, least of all Diablo himself. The quest givers babble a bunch, true, but there is a lot less exposition going on.

golem

*causes explosion of undead and deaths of hundreds of townsfolk*
*is captured via a simple ruse and gets deckard cain killed by some chump*
*is tricked by the worst disguise ever*
*never figures out that the incredibly suspicious witch is evil*
*can't tell that the oddly magical girl born 9 months after tristram is the devil's daughter*
*gives up just because*
*decides he can't help you fight for no reason*
*forgets about unstable magical rock containing all the devils*

I will now be... WISDOM.

LOL

Haunted

Wow, just encountered one of the worst mobs ever in hell. Throwing fire, coupled with lasers and immune minions. Plus add to the fact it there was only a straight line to go in(act 2 where you have to disable the machines)...wow terrible. I just left the game lol as I couldn't even pass get pass them. And it was right at the very start where the checkpoint is so every time I restarted I'd just be bombarded with firebombs
I might be weird but that sounds like fun.

Finding a way beyond these guys, abusing kiting and baiting and wearing them down is more fun than just plowing through.

edit: disclaimer: I'm on Nightmare Act III though, so maybe regular Hell gameplay is already strategic like that and that mob is just unfair. :p

Top Bottom