• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: PS4 & Mantle will drive Frostbite design and optimisation going forward

astraycat

And unless AMD approves Nvidia, that's not gonna happen. Mantle isn't open-source or anything, and even if the AMD has said that they *could* allow Nvidia to use it, I somehow doubt that they will. And if they would, they definitely wouldn't allow Nvidia to integrate any Nvidia specific features/optimizations etc.

Considering how hard they're pushing the "other vendors can choose to implement it too!" angle at their conference right now, I'd be surprised if they tried anything like that.

Skeff

What does that mean? Will frostbite engine games look/perform better on PS4?

It will be easier to port Mantle code between PC and PS4, the mantle optimizations will work well with the PS4, if the code can be ported quicker and with some optimizations from mantle in place then the PS4 will start from a higher place than the XB1 after the first build of a game is up and running.

weyIY0b.jpg
This doesn't mean the next gen console versions will be getting an update that greatly boosts performance, does it? :(

I'm still confused as to how Mantle will affect the PS4/XB1 versions of Frostbite games.

x3sphere

comeone. REPI said it is not GCN based. He explictly said on stage multivendor API and OPEN to dev community to work together improving it.

There is Intel there is Nvidia and there is one big nothing beside them

Yeah but he didn't say any other vendors are actually using it. What I took from it is there's nothing preventing NV from using it - but the big question is will they.

It already is in BF4...and that's a relatively 'first-gen'/early/immature/unoptimised example.

It will be easier to port Mantle code between PC and PS4, the mantle optimizations will work well with the PS4, if the code can be ported quicker and with some optimizations from mantle in place then the PS4 will start from a higher place than the XB1 after the first build of a game is up and running.

Okay thanks for the info.

No Love

Banned
This doesn't mean the next gen console versions will be getting an update that greatly boosts performance, does it? :(

I'm still confused as to how Mantle will affect the PS4/XB1 versions of Frostbite games.

Let me help you out: because next-gen consoles are now more like PC's than ever, AMD has designed Mantle (an API for usage on PC's) that is closely related to the same library of dev tools used on PS4/Xbone. What this means is that now, more than ever, PC/PS4/Xbone are interconnected and porting from PC to PS4/Xbone or vice versa is fluid and easy in comparison to the days of old. Developers will spend less time tearing their hair out trying to troubleshoot/develop/optimize for multiple platforms, OSes, and API's, and more time getting the most out of hardware/making games look beautiful/sounding great and also making the worlds more immersive and vast than ever.

It also means that games using Mantle on PC will get big performance boosts/fancier effects thanks to devs being able to tap into the hardware more easily/less overhead costs. Everyone wins.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah but he didn't say any other vendors are actually using it. What I took from it is there's nothing preventing NV from using it - but the big question is will they.

NOT NVIDIA.

DICE AND EA. This API is created by DICE and EA. AMD got involved probably because new consoles have AMD hardware in them so they wanted to start with AMD tech to port over console like API. Essentially AMD provided them support instead of them creating it.
At least that is how it looked like from repi presentation

Somewhere Durante (along with all other Mantle detractors) is crying.

oh artist, be nice

Kenka

WHy would I want console-like performance on my PC?

I am fairly uneducated about computing and hardware but I assume that using Mantle allows you basically to code on the metal directly which was possible on console but wasn't so far on PC.

edit : others replied in greater detail

astraycat

NOT NVIDIA.

DICE AND EA. This API is created by DICE and EA. AMD got involved probably because new consoles have AMD hardware in them so they wanted to start with AMD tech to port over console like API. Essentially AMD provided them support instead of them creating it.
At least that is how it looked like from repi presentation

oh artist, be nice

It was certainly not created by DICE and EA. It may have been created as a response to what EA and DICE wanted, but AMD is the one who developed it.

majik13

I think I remember last time they talked about it, that they would update the next gen consoles. But I may remember it wrong, or it could have changed.

RulkezX

What tech site was it that got it right then ?

I remember after the announcement we had one site saying this was the same as the XO and another saying it was close to PS4 ( I think the later was DF)

Crisco

Banned
Yo, DICE, how about working on fixing the fucking game that millions of people have already spent $60+ on instead of working on a goddamn API that only ~20-30% of your PC customers will benefit from. No one will give a shit that they get 10 more FPS when the game is still constantly crashing. Priorities totally out of whack.

DieH@rd

Banned

Consoles have their own [and even faster and more efficient] APIs. Mantle takes those techniques and translates them to PC space.

The only benefit that consoles will have from Mantle, is that more developers will spend more time working with low-overhead APIs, learning new techniques that can be used on both consoles and PC.

Raydeen

So what I'm reading from this is if you are planning on a new GPU for your next PC upgrade, make sure it has the letters AMD in it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yo, DICE, how about working on fixing the fucking game that millions of people have already spent $60+ on instead of working on a goddamn API that only ~20-30% of your PC customers will benefit from. No one will give a shit that they get 10 more FPS when the game is still constantly crashing. Priorities totally out of whack.

The PC patch is schedule for tomorrow.

Pain

Banned
Sony and EA should enter into some kind of partnership for their Frostbite games.
Best on PS4.

The Microsoft partnership is primarily EA Sports isn't it?

imt558

Banned
What does this mean for Xbone?

Nothing. Sorry

My understanding This means DICE says even if PS4 Doesn't support Mantle like xbox one, it seems there is a way to handle it because they looks similar?

Mantle is supported by PS4/Xbone. It's a low level API for PC, but is the quite similar to low levels API's on PS4/Xbone. But BIG PROBLEM for XO is the eSRAM and a weaker GPU.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So what I'm reading from this is if you are planning on a new GPU for your next PC upgrade, make sure it has the letters AMD in it?

Well, you could go buy a laptop with a Nvidia 650M and it would have the letters A, M, and D in it ;)

belmonkey

Consoles have their own [and even faster and more efficient] APIs. Mantle takes those techniques and translates them to PC space.

The only benefit that consoles will have from Mantle, is that more developers will spend more time working with low-overhead APIs, learning new techniques that can be used on both consoles and PC.

^ I think that kinda nails it; Consoles already have their own low-level APIs. Mantle is a similar low-level API for PC so that it can get "console-like" optimization as well.

As far as squeezing out more performance in PS4 games, I think that's what console optimizations are for; Mantle wouldn't directly help.

Unless someone can confirm this though, it's all from my behind.

B_Boss

Aside from the myriad of PS4 news bits, this is probably the best piece of news today. I am pumped for the future of DICE and BF on PS4.

vpance

Once they start tapping into asynch compute, Bone won't have an answer to that at all.

I think a lot of us were worried about PS4 versions being castrated but hearing this news alleviates those concerns.

Let me help you out: because next-gen consoles are now more like PC's than ever, AMD has designed Mantle (an API for usage on PC's) that is closely related to the same library of dev tools used on PS4/Xbone. What this means is that now, more than ever, PC/PS4/Xbone are interconnected and porting from PC to PS4/Xbone or vice versa is fluid and easy in comparison to the days of old. Developers will spend less time tearing their hair out trying to troubleshoot/develop/optimize for multiple platforms, OSes, and API's, and more time getting the most out of hardware/making games look beautiful/sounding great and also making the worlds more immersive and vast than ever.

It also means that games using Mantle on PC will get big performance boosts/fancier effects thanks to devs being able to tap into the hardware more easily/less overhead costs. Everyone wins.

I think I remember last time they talked about it, that they would update the next gen consoles. But I may remember it wrong, or it could have changed.

Thanks for clarifying, guys. :)

artist

Banned
Because AMD released some more pointless PR presentasions ?

The problem with AMD is that they talk much and have beatifull visions of future but when time to deliver comes we receive Bulldozers, turtle slow apus, jaguar cores which lose to atom or 290X space heaters and on software front they have such successes as their PhysX alernative with 0 titles support and TressFX with 1 game support.

Yeah it really is suprising some people are sceptical ;)
Still salty that AMD released a product that cratered the price of your card. Good thing is cheaper prices for everyone, even if Nvidia is slightly uncomfortable.

Besides, this wasnt a presentation by AMD, its quite evident you havent been paying attention.
Nice pointless personal antagonism. Trying to make friends I see.
Heh, it was personal argument between us. He kept insisting that Mantle was pointless and AMD should've gone with a "better" approach and just went with OpenGL. From Johan's presentation, the opposite is true.

RSTEIN

Still salty that AMD released a product that cratered the price of your card.
Why would someone be upset if the price of their card falls? Do people get upset when Apple lowers the price of the current ipad when a new ipad comes out? Are you going to be upset when AMD/Nvidia come out with their next gen cards and it lowers the price of your current card?

He kept insisting that Mantle was pointless and AMD should've gone with a "better" approach and just went with OpenGL. From Johan's presentation, the opposite is true.
In the grand scheme of things, Mantle is still pointless. Need to see much broader adoption by developers and much higher penetration of AMD cards.

RSTEIN

Makes me wanna get an AMD GPU.... But I've always been team Green D:

Better to be team flexible. For now the best team is still Team Green. AMD's only claim to fame right now is Mantle, which has a long way to go before it can be taken seriously. Nvidia beats AMD at the high end, Nvidia still has better driver support, AMD has no answer to Shadowplay, and of course let's not forget G-Sync.

Cassius

Do we have any footage of BF4 running under Mantle yet?

Would really like to see for myself the advantages that it sounds like it will bring.

artist

Banned
In the grand scheme of things, Mantle is still pointless. Need to see much broader adoption by developers and much higher penetration of AMD cards.
Using the same logic I could say the same for G-Sync (despite my enthusiasm for the tech) but that would be silly.

syko de4d

mhh Star citizen + all the nice EA games will use Mantle. I must say thats makes AMD cards very attractive. Hope the Benchmarks will be good and other games jump on the Mantletrain. We need some competition, Green has become to dominant on the PC.

Top Bottom