• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GILGAMESH for smash believe!

Crossover characters for Crossover games pls

The world and FF fans all over care about what you asked for.

Come on, an airship? That's every FF game.. how bout something new? That's fine if you really want that but this is a solitary dude in a rocking mech, not an entire party needing to go on adventures around the world.

Every FF game? Crystal Chronicles? Dirge? XIII series?

Shinta

Banned
Give me a reason to expect VsXIII to not turn to shit when they couldn't even manage to make a decent console game in forever, as they say "you're only as good as your last game"

If you don't want to get Versus, I really couldn't care less. Don't buy it then, it's not my job to sell you on it.
A full blown conniption? That's a huge exaggeration. I just think you're finding mundane details in order to have something to criticize.

It's a discussion of which game looks better. Why is that mundane to mention the animations of all the characters and monsters? It's kind of a key part of the game. Admiring rocks and mountains that look arguably better or around the exact same looks fairly mundane to me, but everyone in this thread is doing that.

If you don't personally care about animations, that's fine. Why are you arguing with me about it then?

Coins

Banned
It frightens me to think how much money has been dumped into 14.

A subscription based MMO that failed, got shutdown, retooled and will be relaunched?

No one even cares anymore.

=(

Brera

Banned
Not running over, flying over.

amekbv.gif

This gif shows the japan still has it.

It's the lumbering giants that can't compete right now.

I wonder if X has HD towns...

Mael

If you don't want to get Versus, I really couldn't care less. Don't buy it then, it's not my job to sell you on it.

So you accuse me of shitting on SquareEnix and then you give no reason why one shouldn't when they actually deserve it?

How many games has Monolith developed in those 7 years? How many has Square and on how many platforms?

Better compare the size of the companies too or that makes no sense, next we'll be comparing the other Monolith dev house to EA...

BadWolf

For Monolith Soft to pull out an amazing looking game like this with potential multiplayer, while Square Enix takes 7+ fucking years to develop a SINGLE player game? Yeah. Square Enix really shot themselves in the foot.

Not only that, but if X is multiplayer w/ no sub fee... then all that money will likely have gone to waste with XIV 2.0.

How many games has Monolith developed in those 7 years? How many has Square and on how many platforms?

Metazoid

Banned

It's a discussion of which game looks better. Why is that mundane to mention the animations of all the characters and monsters? It's kind of a key part of the game. Admiring rocks and mountains that look arguably better or around the exact same looks fairly mundane to me, but everyone in this thread is doing that.

If you don't personally care about animations, that's fine. Why are you arguing with me about it then?

I guess you should find something substantive to criticize or go home.

I could say that noctis's animations are unrealistic and overly stylized but who cares in the end?

Eidan

Skyrim looks a lot better than Versus. It's hard to look at any of Versus's environments and not come away unimpressed.

Shinta

Banned
So you accuse me of shitting on SquareEnix and then you give no reason why one shouldn't when they actually deserve it?

Actually deserve what? I enjoy their games a lot, and I think Versus looks great. This whole conversation has been about me saying Versus has substantially better animations. It also looks much better in general, as far as character models, art design, character design, spell effects, combat system, music, story.

If you don't agree, I honestly, truly, supremely don't care.
I guess you should find something substantive to criticize or go home.

wut lol

Shinta

Banned
If you didn't care Shinta, you wouldn't be dignifying others with a retort.

Caring what they think, and letting buffoons get the last word are two entirely different things.

I actually am late now though, so have it at gentlemen. You have the floor. Don't kill too many brain cells. Drink lots of water. Crying this much can lead to dehydration.

Famassu

I agree, but in this generation, that seems impossible. It's not just square, its all of the major publishers that over expose their franchises. It's especially painful coming from their playstation and snes days, where they just made high quality games left and right like it was going out of style. And the majority of them weren't final fantasy titles.
The difference being that pretty much all Final Fantasy games are very different from each other. XII doesn't play like Type-0 which doesn't play like Dissidia which doesn't play like XIV which doesn't play like Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. Giving them the name Final Fantasy is simply a marketing trick, it automatically gives the game visibility whereas games like The World Ends With You end up being ignored by many who'd probably enjoy it, despite it being better than a lot of FF games.

I'd understand the bitching about SQEX relying on Final Fantasy if they were like the Call of Duty series or something, but as they are all so vastly different... Besides, they've had some (good) new IPs in the last few years (The Last Remnant, TWEWY, Bravely Default), they simply haven't been successful enough to encourage a shitton more of original IP development. The reason why they dropped the number of new IPs is pretty clear when they saw awesome games like Vagrant Story selling maybe two copies outside Japan while some much worse FF spin-offs sold like gangbusters (at least in comparison).

Mael

Actually deserve what? I enjoy their games a lot, and I think Versus looks great. This whole conversation has been about me saying Versus has substantially better animations. It also looks much better in general, as far as character models, art design, character design, spell effects, combat system, music, story.

If you don't agree, I honestly, truly, supremely don't care.

Your insults are getting tiresome though.
You're literally throwing everything and nothing at this argument.
I mean we don't even have words about story or anything and magically Vs is better?
We don't have anything as far as music and AGAIN you claim it's better?
You're a joke poster that's for sure.
And funny how when your opinion doesn't match its "like your opnion man"
but yours need to be treated like some word from god.

The difference being that pretty much all Final Fantasy games are very different from each other. XII doesn't play like Type-0 which doesn't play like Dissidia which doesn't play like XIV which doesn't play like Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. Giving them the name Final Fantasy is simply a marketing trick, it automatically gives the game visibility whereas games like The World Ends With You end up being ignored by many who'd probably enjoy it, despite it being better than a lot of FF games.

I'd understand the bitching about SQEX relying on Final Fantasy if they were like the Call of Duty series or something, but as they are all so vastly different... Besides, they've had some (good) new IPs in the last few years (The Last Remnant, TWEWY, Bravely Default), they simply haven't been successful enough to encourage a shitton more of original IP development. The reason why they dropped the number of new IPs is pretty clear when they saw awesome games like Vagrant Story selling maybe two copies outside Japan while some much worse FF spin-offs sold like gangbusters (at least in comparison).

That's not new at all,
after all Saga was marketed as a FF spinoff,
Seiken Densetsu either.
It's not a bad idea to make sure that people are interested in your product.
Heck I don't think anyone complained when FF Tactics was part of FF and didn't get another name.
That's actually a good idea, start off as a spinoff and branch it out when it has enough base behind it.
Heck in the good old times the only difference between one of their product being FF and another name was that the FF game had a higher priority and they had more expectations behind it.
After all all FFs are pretty different and wouldn't feel that different if they had other names.

Heck Kingdom Hearts is really FF + Disney, it doesn't need that marketing ploy because people know what it is.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Caring what they think, and letting buffoons get the last word are two entirely different things.

I actually am late now though, so have it at gentlemen. You have the floor. Don't kill too many brain cells.

Yes, yes resorting to namecalling says so much about your overall character. Sorry your favorite RPG company is getting called out on it's asinine decisions. And the fact that it bothers you so much you must defend it with the most trivial of details, namely animation in your case here. If the animation is so good then why don't they talk about it or mention it in a blurb? Or is is it bad animation or animation SO GOOD that they can't comment on it, or perhaps they don't want anything to overshadow the focus on LR and XIV since if they screw up the miracle they seek for XIV they may as well pack up and become a lesser company and become a shell of what they once were which IMO has already happened.

YOU may enjoy their products and maybe others do too, however you must also consider others MAY NOT like their products and call back to products they DID LIKE and why Square does not dish out innovation, ingenuity or simply expanding on a story or gameplay concept, regardless of that specific concept's sales or reception.

Square first and foremost is a large company and all a company truly cares about is how to make the most money and in a efficient manner, iOS for them is a great revenue source due to their fast, cheap, and easy way to produce them. Though it may be a boon to the company, the consumers are still human beings and will have their own opinions on them and this also extends to their console and handheld products as well and what they think of them.

In this day and age people like to know things instead of being kept in the dark and Square is conservative in this regard and quite frankly I'm inclined to believe it pisses people off unless you are the overly optimistic consumer they actively seek.

Your insults are getting tiresome though.
You're literally throwing everything and nothing at this argument.
I mean we don't even have words about story or anything and magically Vs is better?
We don't have anything as far as music and AGAIN you claim it's better?
You're a joke poster that's for sure.
And funny how when your opinion doesn't match its "like your opnion man"
but yours need to be treated like some word from god.

The term White Knight seems to be a more apt analogy.

''Let's just release a trailer showing a guy entering a flying robot, I'm sure the nerds will have a meltdown thinking it's the best thing ever and immediately take out their wallets''

Fisico

How many games has Monolith developed in those 7 years?

As far as i remember
- Xenosaga III
- Xenosaga 1+2
- Baten Kaitos Origins (with a huge involvment of Tri-Crescendo)
- Soma Bringer
- Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Mugen no Frontier
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Mugen no Frontier Exceed
- Project X Zone
- Disaster Day of Crisis
- Xenoblade

And they worked on
- Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
- The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

The studio has never been developping only one project at the same time so far
SRT OG Saga Mugen no Frontier - Exceed - Project X Zone were made by the same guys
Soma Bringer - Xenoblade - X most likely the same dudes to0

Don't really know who were behind the Disaster (lolz) game, but most likely they join forces with the Soma Bringer team at some point to help with Xenoblade, for X new guys should have joined has their recruitment page tend to hint

And i think they just crossed the 100 employes mark very recently.

How many guys are working at Square-Enix already ?

ari

Banned
Shouldn't the argument be nintendo vs square? Even though mono made a great game compared to square in the last fucking decade, i think a publisher vs publisher should be more appropriate.

Mael

Shouldn't the argument be nintendo vs square? Even though mono made a great game compared to square in the last fucking decade, i think a publisher vs publisher should be more appropriate.

I don't think anyone want to make an argument where one side has FFXIII and another have Mario Galaxy 1/2, 2 conccurent platforms, parts in another company make freaking Pokemon.
Let's be a little fair here.

Trailers have release dates.
Did Nintendo release trailers with release dates? Nope, they basically know the sheep will get excited anyway.

They also stop announcing stuffs years in advance when it bit them in the ass with Twilight Princess so a Vs XIII situation is highly unlikely.

Daedardus

Square is a primarily roleplaying publisher though, and Nintendo has lots of different genres. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Trailers have release dates.
Did Nintendo release trailers with release dates? Nope, they basically know the sheep will get excited anyway.

Lots of game announcement trailers don't have release dates. Even if they do, it's most likely to miss that target anyway.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Really? I never knew that. I presume it's a fairly behind the closed doors affair with a press statement released at the end of it?

It is, but one insider or so he says is able to attend these meetings. He generally doesn't reveal much but he is so far trustworthy.

not to mention you can't drive the ones that are there post FF9.

Another reason why I love Type 0.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Good point although I remember the music part trying to expand internationally but that's probably my shitty memory.

They have their concerts in certain locations and albums available to buy, but that's the most that the other hemisphere usually can have access to, and that's if you pay attention.

Mael

They have their concerts in certain locations and albums available to buy, but that's the most that the other hemisphere usually can have access to, and that's if you pay attention.

A friend went to see the one from last week or so in Paris....yeah you really need to know for that...
Too bad their cinema venture was so misguided, they really do some sweet CG

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So are you trying to talk about the game/topic or are you just in here to make passive-aggressive statements and derail the thread with "Nintendo sheep" crap?

He's just trolling. Ignore it.

A friend went to see the one from last week or so in Paris....yeah you really need to know for that...
Too bad their cinema venture was so misguided, they really do some sweet CG

With the right direction it can work. XIV ARR is proof of that. I await the day that FF is a game where everything IS CG. And I mean everything is super detailed from every conceivable distance. And isn't linear or shallow.

Mario007

It is, but one insider or so he says is able to attend these meetings. He generally doesn't reveal much but he is so far trustworthy.
Cool, will be on the lookout for it info about it, in that case. Square really has a very barren line-up in the west and east this year.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Cool, will be on the lookout for it info about it, in that case. Square really has a very barren line-up in the west and east this year.

I suspect 2013 will be a shitty year for Square. At least IMO.

2014 might be different.

is not a fair question.. Monolith Soft is a small company of 92 people divided in 3 teams... plus they never got great budget from Nintendo.. Probably that will change with X

Square Enix is a giant..

I tend to believe small groups work best.

Malvingt2

is not a fair question.. Monolith Soft is a small company of 92 people divided in 3 teams... plus they never got great budgets from Nintendo.. Probably that will change with X

Square Enix is a giant..

Daedardus

is not a fair question.. Monolith Soft is a small company of 92 people divided in 3 teams... plus they never got great budgets from Nintendo.. Probably that will change with X

Square Enix is a giant..

Budgets are largely used to hire people. You just can't throw money into a machine and let it output a better game.

jamsy

First, research every article about Versus Info, then watch every trailer, also realize that it's being done by a different team and then you will see that Versus will be NOTHING like FF13. :)
The only connection is the vague crystal theme and the name.

Meh, still not interested. This thing has Nomura written all over it, and I can't stand Nomura anymore.

Mario007

I suspect 2013 will be a shitty year for Square. At least IMO.

2014 might be different.

Yeah it seems like a really troubling year. Their western studios don't seem to have anything cooking up that can release in the near future. Square Japan is all working on FFXIV, which looks awesome but it's just one game. They would usually pump out quality handheld stuff but even that is out of the question now. And then there's LR which would actually work great as a 3DS title, but not as full console game. So they have 3 games this year only.

Maybe they'll have something for the launch of the new consoles, though I doubt it.

And maybe...just maybe...E3 2013 they'll start hyping up Versus for a Christmas 2013 release.

Top Bottom