• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony deliberately put so much media out before the xboX launch?

dEvAnGeL

E3 was a bit of a bunmer and as far as i can remember the Paris game show has never been a place to announce big games for Sony, did they deliberately released all these trailers, that look amazing by the way and announced the sucker punch game, guacamele 2 and a few more to mess with the launch of the new xbox console? like look at all we got, what do they have? Sort of thing, to me it seems like they did and I believe it’s a brilliant marketing move to be honest.

Vlightray

You could look at it that way but maybe they just weren't ready to show these trailers back at E3. I personally think they have alot of games per usual as they own alot of studios and are doing there thing.

Is so tho smart move.

Is there any reason for Sony to be afraid of the X? They are still selling miles and above what the Xbox One is doing. A middle gen refresh won't change things that much. If anything, this conference was a statement on why you should keep your PS4 or buy one in the near future.

Sony is still investing on exclusive games for their platform and they have enough first party software for you to consider the PS4 over the competition. I'm just glad Nintendo and Sony actually care about first party content still, it is vital to the vision of their platform.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The world's most powerful games console is about to drop.
I am sure Sony are terrified.

If Sony was terrified there would have been price drops on the PS4 and Pro.

Sony has the games, they are not terrified of the X.

I cant wait to get my Scorpio Edition but wow my Pro has some killer games coming.

I cant wait to get my Scorpio Edition but wow my Pro has some killer games coming.

You mean like when the PS4 recieved a limited time price drop when Switch launched?

yurinka

Did Sony deliberately put so much media out before the xboX launch?
No, it's just another Sony conference more just like every year. We saw even bigger announcements at Gamescom or PGW in previous years. And even more in PSX & E3.

Sony has a massive first party catalog, key marketing+micro exclusive deals with some of the biggest 3rd party IPs and marketing+timed console exclusive deals with some of the best indies. Nothing new.

Seems that PS4 sold at least the double than XBO, Xbox X is gonna be expensive with no big seller (console) exclusive in the short term. PS4 instead just released a Gran Turismo (their biggest selling IP), has marketing deals with most of the biggest autumn/winter AAA 3rd party game (I think AC is the exception), and has big guns coming soon as God of War, Spiderman, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus remake, Street Fighter V Arcade Edition and more.

Sony doesn't need to do anything special to outsell XBO worldwide in the upcoming months. XBO will experience a slight bump during a month or so thanks to XBO X, but that's all. Even during that month I don't think it will outsell PS4. Nothing points to XBO X affecting PS4 success, so no action is required to counter it.

The PS4 exclusives that littered my subscription page this morning would probably make anyone second guess an X purchase unless they already had a PS4.

Edit: youtube subscriptions

Mikey Jr.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Sucker Punch game looked Phenomenal
Tlou2 looked almost real
Spiderman had a trailer
Monster Hunter exclusive beta this December

Lots to play on PS4, thats for sure. I could see a scenario where someone decides to get a pro instead of the X after this showing.

dEvAnGeL

The world's most powerful games console is about to drop.
I am sure Sony are terrified.
This is not about being terrified or afraid of the competition product, it could be more about telling gamers, “look what we have coming exclusively to our console” kinda thing.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You mean like when the PS4 recieved a limited time price drop when Switch launched?

Yes, I do think Sony was more concerned with the Switch launch then the X.

The Switch offers something new.

Again I am getting not only 1 Scorpio Editions but 2 and I cant wait but what does the new X has to offer that Sony would fear?

Slightly better graphics that people like Digital Foundry has to pause the game then zoom in to look at grass?

Now if Xbox would have come it at equal price to the Pro or even wanted to get overly aggressive and somehow undercut the Pro in pricing then year Sony would have been scared.

All of this is 100% my opinion but I honestly think Sony was relieved when Xbox announced the price and being a year behind.

I am upgrading because I have 4k displays throughout my house and look forward to playing my Xbox games at their best versions.

Do I think the X even gets Xbox "back in the game?" Looking at their games lineup nope it will not.

Do I think Sony dropped all this info a week before X launches? Of course they did.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
To what end? They revealed a couple of new games, and updates on a lot of known games. Now, if they announced a new console, that might have been a different story.

NahaNago

Probably not and maybe yes. I could see them holding trailers back for a more impactful conference and they could have also chosen the conference closest to Xbox release.

After watching some PGW videos, my brain be like: "rather than using your $499 money for buying Xbox One X
or upgrading your PC*
, here is games you probably want for $480". So yeah, this Sony's PGW somewhat affecting my decision to buy Xbox One X.

The $480 games:

1. The Last of Us 2
  2. Ghost of Tsushima
  3. Shadow of Collosus
  4. Detroit: Become Human
  5. Spiderman
  6. OnRush
  7. Monster Hunter World
  8. Concrete Genie
...assuming they are all $60.

*Last April/May I purchased Team Elite 16GB RAM for around $110 but I just checked they are now around $177. Not sure what happened but what I know RAM prices are hiking for unknown reasons for me.

Lets assume that they are- what purpose would it serve?

Would anybody who's set on buying the XBX really be deterred by more PS4 exclusives?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Is there any reason for Sony to be afraid of the X? They are still selling miles and above what the Xbox One is doing. A middle gen refresh won't change things that much. If anything, this conference was a statement on why you should keep your PS4 or buy one in the near future.

Sony is still investing on exclusive games for their platform and they have enough first party software for you to consider the PS4 over the competition. I'm just glad Nintendo and Sony actually care about first party content still, it is vital to the vision of their platform.
This^

Good timing, however ,people buying an 1x were most likely aware of sonys exclusives before these new trailers.

N7.Angel

Nah i don't think so, why should they feel afraid about the Xbox One X ? It's not like Microsoft will have some exclusives tomorrow...

Breakage

This is not about being terrified or afraid of the competition product, it could be more about telling gamers, “look what we have coming exclusively to our console” kinda thing.
Yeah, I wasn't being serious. Sony have got this gen locked down. The One X isn't going to change that.

Alebrije

XboneX won't hurt Sony, my bet is that it will cannibalize XboneS market, do not hear people saying that will sell their PS4 to get an XboneX. By this time the market is settled people with a console preference hardly will move to a new one.

The media we saw today could be related to XboneX lauch but seems just a preview of what can you expect from Sony next year , a price drop on PRO could be more related to XboneX but this did not happen. Maybe on PlayStation Experience on a few weeks.

Metzhara

That's how Sony operates. It's how most general businesses in competition operate.
I still remember Sony having a small press conference as Dreamcast was launching (in Japan) with the sole purpose of reminding people the PS2 would have "as many controller ports as you want" and be "online".
I always envision Sony as that carnival snake oil salesman... but while the oil isn't a cure-all at least it's got some uses you approve of.
Whether it's waiting to drop a megaton of information on the consumer or price dropping, this is a tactic that has been employed the moment two people set up shops and shared customers.

Freeman76

He was being facetious. Sony dont give a fuck about the 1X, it has no exclusives and Sony keep dropping bombs that will never come to the 1X. I always get shot down for saying this as its assumed I am a Sony fanboy but I own all the consoles and have no preference. Who wants to shout about having the most powerful console that has 2 or 3 decent games that arent available elsewhere and even those are the 4th and 7th versions of the same game lol. MS need to do much more than release a powerful console to worry Sony. Damn sony need to be more worried about Nintendo than they do MS. Come at me MS fanboys.

I think probably to some degree, but overall Sony is just doing what they've been going all gen. The playstation platform is miles above what Xbox offers right now. And the X really won't move the needle all that much.

WaterAstro

I don't think it's deliberate. Studios are ready to show their games when they have the time to make it, and it coincided with PGS.

Absolutely. It's not that they are scared or anything, but just being smart marketers. I've noticed that their TV ads are really emphasizing their "The Best Place to Play" slogan, which is clearly a "stick with us" message. They at least recognize that some of their customers will be tempted by the X. Sony has been, if nothing else, a great marketing company with the PS4, and they aren't above trumpeting games that may not be ready for a long-ass time if they think it might distract a customer from the competition.

freefornow

Just reaffirms my decision to keep my PS4 Pro for Sony exclusives (Sony and Nintendo excel at this) and use the XB1X as my multiplat machine.

All I see from this Paris show is winning.

Unknown?

Maybe in part. I think a lot of it is to keep existing customers engaged. Just because you’ve sold a lot doesn’t mean you can relax. Look how that worked for Microsoft with the 360. Lost all the momentum they had from the start. But I see it also be for enticing people with Xbox’s to get a PS4.

Top Bottom