• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diet Racism is a real problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a game that tries to recreate WW1 within the confines of something that is also fun to play. So there are many, many obvious concessions to game mechanics that don't reflect the actual experience of warfare in the period, some of which you have mentioned. Dice tried to keep things as accurate as possible by, for instance, including guns that did at least exist in the period, even if they were not widely used. It's not a simulation clearly. Does that mean that they could have included female combatants? Sure. But I don't think it's fair to say that there was no reason not to.

That's a bullshit excuse, I'm sorry. You can't handwave away what they did under the confines of "it has to be fun" while simultaneously dismissing the lack of inclusion of female combatants in the game. There's no reason to not have them in there if you "just want it to be fun to play".

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's a bullshit excuse, I'm sorry. You can't handwave away what they did under the confines of "it has to be fun" while simultaneously dismissing the lack of inclusion of female combatants in the game. There's no reason to not have them in there if you "just want it to be fun to play".
Exactly, you know what's fun? Being treated as equals and being given the option to play as a woman in a game where one of the campaigns is literally you playing as an armored up space marine mowing hundreds of soldiers down. If they can make concessions for that they sure as hell can make concessions for playing as women.

Mael

It's a game that tries to recreate WW1 within the confines of something that is also fun to play. So there are many, many obvious concessions to game mechanics that don't reflect the actual experience of warfare in the period, some of which you have mentioned. Dice tried to keep things as accurate as possible by, for instance, including guns that did at least exist in the period, even if they were not widely used. It's not a simulation clearly. Does that mean that they could have included female combatants? Sure. But I don't think it's fair to say that there was no reason not to.

Want to have a star destroyer in WWI?
Sure looks like fun, after all we're here to have fun, right?
Women soldiers? Unrealistic we can't have that!

this is basically your argument.

If they wanted to be realistic they wouldn't have pepperred the game with prototype weapons to begin with.
That would barely be a point thought valid if the game was made during WWI and I mean developped in 1915.

this is basically your argument.

If they wanted to be realistic they wouldn't have pepperred the game with prototype weapons to begin with.
That would barely be a point thought valid if the game was made during WWI and I mean developped in 1915.

I don't think that's my argument at all.

There's no reason not have aliens or star destroyers either (to quote that other person) but clearly there is a compromise between what is required to make a game playable and what is unnecessarily unauthentic. I don't know where that line is but I think the developers have the right to draw it wherever they think it is most appropriate.

There's no reason not have aliens or star destroyers either (to quote that other person) but clearly there is a compromise between what is required to make a game playable and what is unnecessarily unauthentic. I don't know where that line is but I think the developers have the right to draw it wherever they think it is most appropriate.

which is almost always white males

OP missed the most annoying type which is that because you don't know their intentions, then it can't be racism. Apparently, you can't judge actions by themselves, you need hateful intent for it to be considered racist.

Actually no, the most annoying one for me is we need to respect different cultures who have had racist practices for years so we shouldn't take away those traditions, cause at least they're not killing people.

LordKasual

Banned

The thought processes that come to those 2 conclusions are coming from completely different places though. The idea of including zombies or aliens in joke side content in a WW1 game is not the same as including an easily identifiable historical blunder for the sake of...well, perceived inclusiveness.

Yeah, I can't even call this real inclusiveness because it's just so obviously forced that it loses all its greater meaning. That's just inclusiveness for the sake of being able to call your game inclusive. A mark on a "positive PR campaign" checklist. It just feels hollow. If they make a 300 game based on the unrealistic ass movie version of the battle of thermopylae and include the option of having female combatants, is the game any better for it? It probably won't be, not for women or men.

Besides, Battlefield 1 has a Harlem Hellfighter on the cover of the game. Now, this isn't even pandering, these men actually fought, and by including them on the cover and in the game, you're probably teaching alot of people something about the war that they didn't otherwise know about. They dont...really have that angle with throwing random female combatants into the war when everyone knows that wasn't really a thing.

I've been noticing a worrying trend on internet as of late in regards to racial tolerance and cultural sensitivity

This is a hilarious opening sentence to a thread. I guess I just don't have very high expectations for the internet.

It's a cesspool of cultural insensitivity and racism. Maybe I should be more hopeful that that can change. Hope it does someday OP.

Women actually were in combat, but it would be unnecessarily unauthentic to play as women because it was rare.

Every gun in the game is entirely unrealistic, but that is okay because it has to be fun.

At this point the absurdity of the argument is clear and you are just exercising a denial of reality.

Also, no one questioned the right of the devs to do what they want, that is a completely ridiculous platitude. No one is calling for legislative mandates on playable female characters.

Sorry, you overreached in your Historical Accuracy section. It distracts from an otherwise great post. You really sound like you want artists to shoehorn in diversity where it wouldn't make much sense, just because you can find a few exceptions in history. I'd say the actual racism problem with the arts is white-and-male-washing areas where historical accuracy dictates that there be a lot of diversity.
It sounds like 99.9% of these games aren't historically accurate even when they try simply for the fact they are a bunch of 0's and 1's, and since you make up a world it has no rules except what you state they are. And if your stated rules just "accidentally" leaves out non-white people then you will get called out on it

Women actually were in combat, but it would be unnecessarily unauthentic to play as women because it was rare.

Every gun in the game is entirely unrealistic, but that is okay because it has to be fun.

At this point the absurdity of the argument is clear and you are just exercising a denial of reality.

Also, no one questioned the right of the devs to do what they want, that is a completely ridiculous platitude. No one is calling for legislative mandates on playable female characters.

OK, well I think I've said all I want to say.

KonradLaw

I don't think any European army (apart from Russia) has ever used female soldiers in the modern period until very recently(?) (except in the case of handfuls of women who have pretended to be men). Russia is noted for having used female soldiers in battle, mainly in WW2 as snipers, but even then they were a very small part of a very big army.
Outside of Red Army plenty of women took part in armed resistance during WWII.
But yes, they were always in minority obviously. But some of them were pretty famous, so the image of woman in army isn't that shocking.

It sounds like 99.9% of these games aren't historically accurate even when they try simply for the fact they are a bunch of 0's and 1's, and since you make up a world it has no rules except what you state they are. And if your stated rules just "accidentally" leaves out non-white people then you will get called out on it

Exactly. I mean damn, who cares about the hand-picked historical accuracy excuse in Call of Duty. It's all excuses to exclude. It's as small as debating inaccurate jump physics in the game vs the real world. It's a game. Just get representation, be inclusive for once.

Mael

The thought processes that come to those 2 conclusions are coming from completely different places though. The idea of including zombies or aliens in joke side content in a WW1 game is not the same as including an easily identifiable historical blunder for the sake of...well, perceived inclusiveness.

Yeah, I can't even call this real inclusiveness because it's just so obviously forced that it loses all its greater meaning. That's just inclusiveness for the sake of being able to call your game inclusive. A mark on a "positive PR campaign" checklist. It just feels hollow. If they make a 300 game based on the unrealistic ass movie version of the battle of thermopylae and include the option of having female combatants, is the game any better for it? It probably won't be, not for women or men.

Besides, Battlefield 1 has a Harlem Hellfighter on the cover of the game. Now, this isn't even pandering, these men actually fought, and by including them on the cover and in the game, you're probably teaching alot of people something about the war that they didn't otherwise know about. They dont...really have that angle with throwing random female combatants into the war when everyone knows that wasn't really a thing.
Look BF1 is basically only trying to be realistic with the window dressing and that's about it.
It's in no way a simulation, it never even tries to tell anything meaningful (as the PR repeatedly reminds everyone #justWW1things).
Even if we admit that it was wildly unrealistic (which I'll leave historians to decide over pundits) adding women is just another line in the sand that they would cross over the good 100 they already did.
I guess whitewashing is ok as long as we make sure it's really only going in 1 way.
And don't give me the artistic integrity claptrap for a multimillion company that could give less of a shit about authenticity and anything related to integrity to begin with.
Might as well argue that the people at FIFA really want to pass a deep message of integration and world peace while we're at it.

When a French company forgets to include female assassins during the fucking French Revolution, you know not to expect anything at all in general.

Still the funniest fucking post I've seen this year.
This wasn't some run of the mill cucking. No, the mods were thoroughly cucked. On the night Barack Hussein Obama took office, a strike team of the strongest and sexiest black men in the country were dispensed. Whether it was 4chan, Reddit, or even NeoGaf, no mod was safe. They say that over 100 mods were cucked in one night, forever cursed to uphold social justice on the internet as penance.

Why would a white privilege costume be racist, specialy if worn by a black dude ?

It not worn by a black dude. It is worn by a indian guy from my work. I'm not saying if it isn't or is racist. I'm indifferent. I am asking what does GAF think.

Ah here we go with the "see black people are racist too" nonsense.
Again. not implying that please don't jump to conclusions. And it's is one of my colleagues from work who is Indian. It isn't a black guy.

Platy

It not worn by a black dude. It is worn by a indian guy from my work. I'm not saying if it isn't or is racist. I'm indifferent. I am asking what does GAF think.

That costume looks to be saying that privileged people feel like kings.

It would not be racist even if it was worn by a white dude because it is a JOKE on white/straight/cis/rich/whatever privileges people have

And it is worn by someone who AT LEAST is not one of those options

LionPride

Banned
This wasn't some run of the mill cucking. No, the mods were thoroughly cucked. On the night Barack Hussein Obama took office, a strike team of the strongest and sexiest black men in the country were dispensed. Whether it was 4chan, Reddit, or even NeoGaf, no mod was safe. They say that over 100 mods were cucked in one night, forever cursed to uphold social justice on the internet as penance.

I believe they called it.....The Cuckening

LordKasual

Banned
Look BF1 is basically only trying to be realistic with the window dressing and that's about it.
It's in no way a simulation, it never even tries to tell anything meaningful (as the PR repeatedly reminds everyone #justWW1things).
Even if we admit that it was wildly unrealistic (which I'll leave historians to decide over pundits) adding women is just another line in the sand that they would cross over the good 100 they already did.
I guess whitewashing is ok as long as we make sure it's really only going in 1 way.
And don't give me the artistic integrity claptrap for a multimillion company that could give less of a shit about authenticity and anything related to integrity to begin with.
Might as well argue that the people at FIFA really want to pass a deep message of integration and world peace while we're at it.

I think you're deliberately trying to paint Battlefield as a game that makes a flat zero attempt at historical accuracy for the sake of your argument. This is not a hard concept to understand, I don't know why people pretend like it's difficult to grasp. Yes, they could depict women in infantry in Battlefield 1...but there were no women in combat roles deployed in WWI, and if you were going to throw them in, it would pretty much only be for Russia.

Yes they COULD just say "meh fuck it" and throw them in anyway. But throwing women into combat in World War I is a far more egregious accuracy error than a misplaced gun or two that probably 98% of people wouldn't even notice. That is a false equivalency and you know it.

By your logic, we might as well go ahead and throw nanomachines and a sayian invasion into the main campaign since Dice, apparently, cares so little for accuracy. Also yeah fuck them and their multimillion dollar exploitation machine that hates authenticity and integrity so much that they decided to gave gamers exactly what they've been asking for.

Come on dude just be fair. There are tons of games where the exclusion of women is a legitimate head turner. Battlefield 1 is absolutely positively not one of those games...FFS can you even find a worse game to criticize on this subject in 2016?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The BF1 arguments in here against are absolutely ridiculous.

Regenerating health, respawning when you die, automatic weapons all over the place, perfectly infallible soldiers/gear, 360 no-scope 12 year olds all over (player behavior), nah none of that compares to how unrealistic it would be to put a woman in the game.

It's a video game. It's not a documentary. I really don't think taking the imaginary historical accuracy value from its measly 0.5 to 0.495 is going to hurt much of anything.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think you're deliberately trying to paint Battlefield as a game that makes a flat zero attempt at historical accuracy for the sake of your argument. This is not a hard concept to understand, I don't know why people pretend like it's difficult to grasp. Yes, they could depict women in infantry in Battlefield 1...but there were no women in combat roles deployed in WWI, and if you were going to throw them in, it would pretty much only be for Russia.

Yes they COULD just say "meh fuck it" and throw them in anyway. But throwing women into combat in World War I is a far more egregious accuracy error than a misplaced gun or two that probably 98% of people wouldn't even notice. That is a false equivalency and you know it.

By your logic, we might as well go ahead and throw nanomachines and a sayian invasion into the main campaign since Dice, apparently, cares so little for accuracy. Also yeah fuck them and their multimillion dollar exploitation machine that hates authenticity and integrity so much that they decided to gave gamers exactly what they've been asking for.

Come on dude just be fair. There are tons of games where the exclusion of women is a legitimate head turner. Battlefield 1 is absolutely positively not one of those games...FFS can you even find a worse game to criticize on this subject in 2016?
Having a playable woman in a WW1 setting is comparably egregious to nanamachines and a saiyan invasion and absolutely not ok, yet this is:
elqpufinnntx.gif
^
this is a plane flying upside down, the pilot gets out of the passenger seat to sit in the top gunner seat, destroys another plane, then gets back in the pilot seat, THAT'S fine, but no no having playable women isn't. Holy fuck these mental gymnastics. I like how you say "misplaced gun or two" when the VAST majority of the arsenal is misplaced, those machine guns that the game constantly gives you were incredibly rare. There were few women in combat roles, but there were also zero of these guys rolling through fields of enemies:
B1-EliteClass.jpg

but no no, women are where you draw the line in your world war 1 set dressing, not armored dudes carrying heavy ass machine guns wearing armor that literally deflects bullets, even sniper bullets, (pssst, this may come as a shocker, but armor doesn't block swords let alone bullets).

I don't have a problem if Battlefield 1 wants to depict WW1 through accurate combat roles. I have a problem if people wanna claim that the game is going for realism however. Motherfucker no it isn't. Man, planes getting shot out of the fucking sky like its candy on halloween, regenerating health, automatic weapons everywhere. The immersion ism't gonna be broken if you see women around. The game isn't immersive because it's realistic. Fuck outta here.

It wouldn't be an issue if it was just Battlefield but this excuse extends to like every war game. Yall can jump 5 feet in the air. How are you out here preaching realism. Fucking NBA players and other peak athletes can't do what this average war soldirr is simulating. But women around is what breaks it. Yeah okay.

ccbfan

Diet? Wtf that's full sugar right there.

I don't think I've ever been more angry at a neogaf topic but then again it's neogaf so I shouldn't be surprise. There's more leeway on Asian racism on here than most college football forums I visit and shit gets pretty bad there sometimes.

There's a lot of us Gen X-ers who are a major source for this sort of thing I think. White people like me grew up in diverse environments still close enough to the Civil Rights Act for a great deal of undiluted open racism and bigotry to still be the norm. Many of us then grew up with an incorrect perspective that racism is the same as bigotry and is therefor something you can actively avoid or grow out of.

It's sort of Golden Rule Diet Racism, where many of us believe since we were never bigots we're better than the Archie Bunker types, and since we treat people the way we wish to be treated inasmuch as we have the power to control directly, we don't have a clue why we could be tagged as racist by default. I think fundamentally we were probably raised right but half-informed and privileged enough to have never had to question the Cliff's Notes version of racism we learned in school at the time.

I'm not proud of it, but I was in my mid-20s before I started to understand why being "colorblind" was problematic, and probably 30 before I'd even heard the phrase "white privilege." Regardless of who you are, regardless of who your friends are, if you're not living it, you'll certainly never understand it simply by osmosis by continuing to live as you have and form opinions based solely on your own unaffected existence.

Wait how did battlefield 1 ( video game) get into this thread?

The argument for/against inclusion of women in battlefield 1 (I think). One side is 'DICE wanted historical accuracy. There weren't female soldiers' and the other side is 'historical accuracy in general isn't a good argument, but especially not in a game where you can move from the pilot seat to the gunner seat of a plan w/o having the thing crash in the time it takes you to shoot down and enemy and move back'.

Wait how did battlefield 1 ( video game) get into this thread?

Sorry, it was not meant as a derail-

It was just that, in a lot of MMORPGs that I have played you have a toggle options to allow players who feel their immersion is ruined by certain comical and silly items are present. Role players and other players who enjoy immersing themselves.

Usually these people have resistance from another group of players who tell those sensitive players to fuck off because the game is already unrealistic, to which they respond that just because a game has certain unrealistic elements doesn't mean you cannot be immersed.
I know this from myself. I know Battlefield 4 is very unrealistic, but I had some moments playing that game where I completely forgot I was playing a game. But suspense of disbelief is an impossible metric to measure, and it seems that some are evoking suspense of disbelief to shut down on wanting to not give players choices because of malice.
In MMO contexts the playerbase always fights. People want the developers to work on their aspect of the game.
So if some "sensitive" players come in and say they want a option toggle for this and that it takes time and resources away from things that matter for them, and then this circle of shutting down the gameplay features of other player types begins. Raiders hate PvPers and vice versa. The hardcore hate casuals, everyone hates the loser role players who are weird and fucked in the head.
It's just this.. It makes no sense to me.

Because if you want to play a woman in BF1, and I don't like that. I can just go into option and put on a toggle that loads your character model as default. Or disable gold blinged donald trump weapons. Or black characters. or characters with silly unrealistic gimmicks.
So to me, it's not even about diversity as much as just a general expectation. There is no way developers cannot give people who seek authenticity and those who want less realism in favor of personal expression.

I don't give a shit if its unrealistic for stormtroppers to be helmetless. I'll play what I want, but at the same time you have a right to want to play the battles like in the movies, and its true- there was no helmetless stromtroppers. There is no reason why we both cannot have what we want. But DICE went ahead and removed it all together, and its just so dumb. Make a toggle. Make it an option. It's a server side change. it doesnt take more bandwith. its not complex code. EA has the resources to do this.
We all have a right to game. both those that are sensitive to authenticity based on historical games and those who want to make different less frequent characters.
I've noticed a lot of women play MMOs, and I think it's because it is on of those genres where you have more control over making a female character. I can relate to wanting to have your own features exhibited in your avatar. As human beings we put ourselves into so many things. Both psychologically and metaphorically. It helps us care, it helps us be more invested.

Mael

This doesn't even make sense in a "gravity is a thing" way!

I don't have a problem if Battlefield 1 wants to depict WW1 through accurate combat roles. I have a problem if people wanna claim that the game is going for realism however. Motherfucker no it isn't. Man, planes getting shot out of the fucking sky like its candy on halloween, regenerating health, automatic weapons everywhere. The immersion ism't gonna be broken if you see women around. The game isn't immersive because it's realistic. Fuck outta here.

It wouldn't be an issue if it was just Battlefield but this excuse extends to like every war game. Yall can jump 5 feet in the air. How are you out here preaching realism. Fucking NBA players and other peak athletes can't do what this average war soldirr is simulating. But women around is what breaks it. Yeah okay.
Kinda reminds me of the the Order thread where people were bending over backward to explain that black people made less sense in Victorian era London than fucking werewolves.

This about much more than games. Yeah, most games don't really try much to be historically accurate. You'll see that the conversation was about storytelling in general.

This doesn't even make sense in a "gravity is a thing" way!

Kinda reminds me of the the Order thread where people were bending over backward to explain that black people made less sense in Victorian era London than fucking werewolves.

It's just an insult to intelligence. Like I am fine if a game has no black people or no women combatants or w/e. I play it for fun, I can and do enjoy lots of media with less than ideal representations. But man fuck outta my face with the realism and world building arguments. Like the world is believable where people are appearing through spawn points and there are literally werewolves running around but suddenly a black person apears and the realism they were trying to craft has vanished.

The argument is so offensive in its pseudointellectual crap it blows my mind. I managed to blow someone into pieces 100ft away with a shotgun but if they were a woman it isn't authentic. :|

Because if you want to play a woman in BF1, and I don't like that. I can just go into option and put on a toggle that loads your character model as default. Or disable gold blinged donald trump weapons. Or black characters. or characters with silly unrealistic gimmicks.
Some of these are not like the others.

It's just an insult to intelligence. Like I am fine if a game has no black people or no women combatants or w/e. I play it for fun, I can and do enjoy lots of media with less than ideal representations. But man fuck outta my face with the realism and world building arguments. Like the world is believable where people are appearing through spawn points and there are literally werewolves running around but suddenly a black person apears and the realism they were trying to craft has vanished.

The argument is so offensive in its pseudointellectual crap it blows my mind. I managed to blow someone into pieces 100ft away with a shotgun but if they were a woman it isn't authentic. :|
Not to mention this is the first game in the whole series to have minority lead

00ich

I fail to see how including women would make planes or weapons behave more realistically.
The errors in EA's WW1 diorama just keep adding up and reduce the immersiveness of the experience. With planes, spawn points and unrealistic weapon upgrade paths there's a gameplay reason to make these compromises.
In its core battlefield just imitates other world war one material. The narrative strength of a multiplayer shooter out of itself is low and there is no precedence in other well known media. So no matter the actual historical accuracy because the audience thinks it's wrong and there is very little room to explain it's at least hard to make it work.

With the order that's different. There no reason but carelessness at best.

Mael

I fail to see how including women would make planes or weapons behave more realistically.
The errors in EA's WW1 diorama just keep adding up and reduce the immersiveness of the experience. With planes, spawn points and unrealistic weapon upgrade paths there's a gameplay reason to make these compromises.
In its core battlefield just imitates other world war one material. The narrative strength of a multiplayer shooter out of itself is low and there is no precedence in other well known media. So no matter the actual historical accuracy because the audience thinks it's wrong and there is very little room to explain it's at least hard to make it work.

With the order that's different. There no reason but carelessness at best.

Actually considering how fucking racist Europe circa XIXth century was the omission of minorities in the Order could be explained away with exactly the same reasoning (and I'd argue what little minority there is in the Order is actually quite progressive this side of XIXth century England).
Heck you could erase any PoC in Battlefield 1 and claim that it's to be in line with folklore depiction of WWI (like seriously Birth of Nation is 1915 after all).
And that would actually be more justified.

e: like seriously BF1 is never accurate beyond the skin, let's drop the pretense it's even trying.
They decided to not include women not because it wasn't historically accurate but because they clearly never cared to begin with.
If it's trying to be accurate to WWI it already easily fail on the face of it, if it's trying to be accurate propaganda it also fails pretty hard too.
It's trying to be this weird bastard version of fun and historical veneer that can only fool anyone who's not really looking too hard.
They got the jingoism of the call to war right, that's for sure.

i was reading through the first 20 pages of this thread and noticed an interesting trend. Anyone who disagreed with the need for diversity in this game was BANNED from this forum. for voicing their opinion. i didnt realize how fully cucked the moderators on here are until now. fuck this forum and all the sjws who sit in their safe space here.

I guess after the Trump victory, the mods got uncucked at incredible speeds. The amount of diet/ full calorie racism on GAF is enormous atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom