• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hacker's Memory cover art, preorder DLC, and special edition info.

Cool boxart. Unfortunately, I think this seals the deal on no femc, which I think would make this the first Digimon Story without the option? I really hope the mc has an actual character to make it sting less.

The Sistermon DLC better not be as limited as the BlackAgumon/BlackGabumon DLC in the West. The fact that people still don't have the option to buy them is disappointing.

I actually sold my Black Agumon/Gabumon code on GAF... for $5... had no idea that it wouldn't show up for sale :x Ah well it was an extra code Amazon sent me, anyways.

I hope we get an LE, but knowing Namco lately, EU will prob get one with NA being digital-only. Seriously Namco, stop making things unequal in the regions!!

Getting the Sistermon in the game is pretty cool. I wasn't expecting that.

And that appears to be Arkadimon Super Ultimate in the background on the box art, which is really awesome.

Seriously considering getting that LE for the art book and soundtrack, along with the anime songs in the game.

My hope for Hacker's Memory release date is around April. February would be fantastic for me with No No Kuni 2 in January and God of War likely in March, but I don't think we'd get it that close to Japan's release.

Actually Sistermon is part of one the worst Digimon design choices. Human that is cosplaying. Arguably it’s even more worse since it sexy and its evolutions are waifu-bait.

I was actually not sure if that was Arkadimon Super Ultimate, since its arms looked bit different, however the arms look like Arkadimon Ultimates. I think prefer normal Ultimate. Arkadimon SU is just a mess of blob tentacles.

-Deimos

Actually Sistermon is part of one the worst Digimon design choices. Human that is cosplaying. Arguably it’s even more worse since it sexy and its evolutions are waifu-bait.

I was actually not sure if that was Arkadimon Super Ultimate, since its arms looked bit different, however the arms look like Arkadimon Ultimates. I think prefer normal Ultimate. Arkadimon SU is just a mess of blob tentacles.
Googles Sistermon....what the fuck...

Hacker's Memory cover art, preorder DLC, and special edition info.

Cool boxart. Unfortunately, I think this seals the deal on no femc, which I think would make this the first Digimon Story without the option? I really hope the mc has an actual character to make it sting less.

The Sistermon DLC better not be as limited as the BlackAgumon/BlackGabumon DLC in the West. The fact that people still don't have the option to buy them is disappointing.
The first game I played as MaleMC and had planned to play FeMC for the sequel :S, hopefully this means that the MC will have more of a presence in the story and have an actual voice... but I doubt it. As for pre-order bonuses I still check form time to time to see if I can buy the Cyber Sleuths theme with the main characters but it still not for sale. Damn me and my obsession for wanting physical copies of games T_T.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the more bestial designs in general, but some of the human Digimon like Lucemon and Sistermon are my least favorite. It doesn't help that female Digimon have a tendency to be oversexualized, so they just end up being sexy women in costume, which doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

But some Digimon fans do like them and they aren't yet another version of Omegamon, so it's all good.

Stuart444

Well, I have a new computer now that makes typing easier than it was when I was on mobile, hopefully I'll be around the OT more now :) (well typing, I do read from time to time when I was on my phone :p )

I forgot Hacker's Memory was a thing though until the other day >.>. Looking forward to another Digimon game though :)

Sad if there is no FeMC though :(

The Digimon Game Community website is open.
8Gr7HHT.png

There are a few articles up, including an interview with Kenji Watanabe. There is a bulletin board where you interact with other members and a Q&A where you interact with developers. You can raise your own Digimon by gaining experience points.

According to Gematsu you'll need to set your region to Asia/Japan to get access to everything. I got this news from there.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Appmon ep 43-44

Ep 43 was great, nice to see a moment with the brothers. Oh, and then it turns out that Hajime is secretly a hacking genius too, who created Bootmon :p Then in ep 44 it's like he surpassed his brother (not sure how or when he could've even practiced it, but ok :p) It was a great ep for a fun one. I just hope we will find out whatever Yuujin's secret is. There's so many shifty glances to him and hints... I can't get over that he's the opposite colour scheme as Haru, so maybe there's some kind of connection?

Looking forward to ep 45 whenever it comes out!

The worst part of seeing wargreymon appear is that it was better animated (and so looked better) than tri. The skipped frames / choppy animation really do takeaway from what could have been.

I haven't watched appmon but it looks pretty cool, warpmon looks pretty good in the actual anime, his design didn't look great when I first saw him.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Appmon ep 45

Now THIS is how you do a filler/cross over! The cross over in Boy Hunters was just out of nowehere, but they made it work in Applimon. It's basically like in the Tamers' dub where Digimon was a game the kids played... sort of. Making Agumon a game character was a good choice, as I assumed that it was going to be an "he came from a different universe" sorta thing. Seeing him evolve and hearing Brave Heart, especially, was perfect.
I didn't actually know he was going to evolve, but the above post kinda ruined the surprise >_> Ah well, at least I got the song.

The whole ep was like a "yes, this IS connected to Digimon (sort of)" I felt like :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That
Brave Heart
though.

I thought the show was winding down but now I'm wondering if it's gonna go a bit longer than expected since next week looks like a "filler".

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the show was winding down but now I'm wondering if it's gonna go a bit longer than expected since next week looks like a "filler".

Could be a few different things. Like, maybe they were slated for the given amount of episodes, but only have like 3 episodes planned for the climax, so they are stretching it out a bit. As long as they don't pull a Boy Hunters. I'm still mad with how that all worked out. There was no real direction the show was headed in, then epic climax!! At least Applimon has a clear story that it needs to get through, but I just hope that they can pull it off well.

Of course, I have enjoyed the past two fillers, though :x

I got so pumped up when Brave Heart started playing that I thought I might cry. That was such a beautiful moment.

Appmon's pacing has been weird, in that the plot will get serious, but then they'll do some random "Appmon of the week" episodes. But it was announced as being 52 episodes awhile ago, but going by the titles it seems like after next week's episode we should be entering end game.

Episode 47 is titled
"The Truth about Yuujin!"

I hope ep 45 gets Digimon fans interested in looking into Appmon. That stuff was hype. And even if next week's is filler, I'm glad we finally get an Astra focused episode again. He hasn't had one in forever.

WELL FINALLY.

Watch it be an episode about how
Yuujin secretly hates cupcakes or something and hi-jinks ensue.

Watch Da Birdie

Next Appmon...fucking finally.

Also I wish the concept of them using the other Appmon to help was expanded more, enjoyed that element of this episode.

Next Appmon...fucking finally.

Also I wish the concept of them using the other Appmon to help was expanded more, enjoyed that element of this episode.

I'm surprised how little they use the other Appmon considering the toys are based off the applink concept. I guess only the main Appmon have those toys though.

whatsup with tri these days?

We did just get the name for Meicoomon's Ultimate/Mega on the poster of Tri part 5: ラグエルモン (Raguerumon)

Speculation is that it will be translated Raguelmon and be based on the angel of justice, Raguel.

Watch Da Birdie

I hope we get another season of Appmon because there's still a ton of Appmon who haven't shown up who'd be neat to see show their abilities like Savemon ("An Appmon with the ability to save and create backups of data. It is even capable of returning the target back to a previous state as long as a backup from that state exists"), Auctionmon ("An well-known auction master in the arts scene. No matter when, where, or what the product is, it is able to open an auction right then and there"), and Newsmon ("A reporter whose purpose in life is to spread exclusive news scoops to the world. It seems to have some level of foresight, as the news it writes about future events tend to come true."). You could pull off some Stand-type shit with 'em.

Also, I personally think Roamon is one of the coolest looking Appmon...

h3iMDt8.jpg

On the other hand, uh, this happens to be an Appmon...

fNXagH8.jpg

I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt but Yokai Watch wasn't above having a black-face character so...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
On the other hand, uh, this happens to be an Appmon...

fNXagH8.jpg

I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt but Yokai Watch wasn't above having a black-face character so...

I think you might be looking into thst a bit too much. No way is it similar to a Jynx or Mr Popo type.

The Kenji Watanabe interview has been translated.

A few interesting bits:
Watanabe: Since Zubamon was the character representing and commemorating the 20th anniversary, I wanted to draw something that was a step up from the usual designs. Also, since it's the 20th anniversary after all, I wanted to draw a character that was like a shrunk-down version of Omegamon, a symbolic character within the Digimon franchise.

Habu: Since we're on this topic, let me represent the fans in asking this question. What do you think of the increasing number of Omegamon [species]?

Watanabe: Hey, that's not my fault (laughs). In fact, it was Bandai Namco Games (now Bandai Namco Entertainment) that made the initial request. (Omegamon) Zwart had been made for a card earlier on, but I was told that they wanted a 'black' version with a different feel [from Zwart]. So, using that data, all the drafts were done in the image of Omegamon. However, we also talked about how if we were to make that Omegamon, we'd have to create the pre-fusion Digimon forms as well.

Habu: Ah, I didn't know that... This was from [the making of] next 0rder (Digimon World -next 0rder-, released 2016 for PlayStation Vita), wasn't it? Personally, I have more of a preference for filling in the evolutionary gaps in existing Digimon.

Habu: You're right. I also think that if we were to create brand new Digimon, I'd want for them to have a specific role. However, even before that, I'd want to dig deeper into the Digimon groups that already exist, and include them in my games. Like the Olympos XII, for example.

Watanabe: The humanoid Digimon take inspiration from American heroes; more specifically, we aim for the slim-macho type build. For example, the arms might be firm, but slim. Anyway, in general, the limbs are usually drawn bigger. However, somewhere down the line I thought that we didn't have to follow this rule strictly and started doing rough sketches with smaller limbs, which ended up getting corrected by Volcano Ota-san who said "Digimon can't not have big limbs!" (laughs).

Watch Da Birdie

Hmm...if they make more Digimon I just wanna see some regular ol' Digimon, I don't think everyone going forward needs to be some part of a new lore-intensive group.

I like how they both try to pass the buck on all the new Omegamon species and are like "hey, it's not my fault". There's a lot of really interesting tidbits in there about the creation process.

Well, it finally happened in Episode 47 of Appmon.

Yuujin being an android was kind of expected, I feel, but that reveal was so chilling. Poor Haru, and poor Offmon, too. They took their time getting to this moment, but it was well worth the wait. We needed the Haru/Yuujin relationship to really be fleshed out to sell this moment.

Watch Da Birdie

So, like, I'm not the only one who sees Haru and Yuujin's relationship as something more than friends, right? I'm not really the type to look too hard into relationships, but it's interesting how at first they seemed to set up Ai as his love interest and quickly swerved away from that.

Also next episode totally has Yuujin pulling off that one move dudes do when they put their arms out to "block" girls they like

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it finally happened in Episode 47 of Appmon.

Yuujin being an android was kind of expected, I feel, but that reveal was so chilling. Poor Haru, and poor Offmon, too. They took their time getting to this moment, but it was well worth the wait. We needed the Haru/Yuujin relationship to really be fleshed out to sell this moment.

I didn't expect him just to command Shutmon to outright kill Bootmon :/ That's the thing about this show, it can be super silly and then just like that, something serious pops up out of the blue! I think we all figured Yuujin was some kind of AI, but I was hoping that it would be from Minerva's side. Like, an AI to protect Haru or something. Then again, maybe he just made up the "sacrifice yourself for someone" part or something. Or will turn good later and die anyways. I'm going with a last minute change of "heart".

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Watchmojo just did a top 10 saddest Digimon moments. Leomon dying in Tamers is only at 5. Thinking about it it's kind of hard for me to argue against #1. The list is severely missing the end of movie 6. That wasn't like a crying moment, but like a "damn this is kind of depressing and unresolved" moment.

Watchmojo is usually good with their picks, but this one was definitely out of order. Hard to argue with #1, especially with Tamers. Wormmonn Wizarmon and Leomon are definitelly top spots. #10 was kind of skimmed over, but Tri movie 3 was real sad, but more on the Patamon/Takeru side of things, whereas here they highlighted Tentomon.

Watchmojo is usually good with their picks, but this one was definitely out of order. Hard to argue with #1, especially with Tamers. Wormmonn Wizarmon and Leomon are definitelly top spots. #10 was kind of skimmed over, but Tri movie 3 was real sad, but more on the Patamon/Takeru side of things, whereas here they highlighted Tentomon.

Tri part 3 would probably be #1 for me but that's mainly because of the timing when it came out. I need to watch all of the movies again. I've only seen the US versions and if I remember right my ranking for the first 7 was 2 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 5. Our War Game is really hard to top. I still love the cheesy soundtracks the first 3 got as well. The second Tamers movie is 2nd because it adds on to the amount of character development that didn't really get explored in Tamers and has the most action out of any of these except maybe the Frontier movie. One and four are really close for me. First gets the edge for the better stand out moment and the final blow in 4 was kind of underwhelming. The only Frontier movie is up and down. It has a ton of good action but they threw a ton of 3D environments into it and it looks really weird. One of the things I didn't like about Frontier is throwing old Digimon names onto things and this movie added to that. The 3rd and 5th (first 02 and Tamers movies respectively) are at the bottom. Both had really dumb endings that came out of no where. 3rd gets the edge because of the cheesy soundtrack and Omnimon's appearance in the first Tamers movie felt really out of place.

Appmon 48:
Damn, Yuujin was really cruel, especially when he busts out the crocodile tears for the sole purpose of trolling Haru. And I lost it at that costume at the end. Eri and Astra's scenes in the second half of the episode were great.

Also, it totally felt like Haru and Yuujin were one second away from kissing.

Ep 49

All I want to say is, Appmon is good.

Appmon 48:
Damn, Yuujin was really cruel, especially when he busts out the crocodile tears for the sole purpose of trolling Haru. And I lost it at that costume at the end. Eri and Astra's scenes in the second half of the episode were great.

Also, it totally felt like Haru and Yuujin were one second away from kissing.

Ep 49 spoilers:
I knew they'd eventually turn around with a "he still has good in him" moment, but they really tried to make him appear irredeemable with the crocodile tears. I guess the "Do you have someone you want to protect?" question popping up again confirms that Minerva did give him the Appli Drive Duo? Wouldn't Leviathan/Evil Yuujin be suspicious of that?

Also, yeah, close friendships exist, but Haru and Yuujin have scenes/lines together that can be easily fan-interpreted.

appmon 49
leviathan ends up get appliarized... inb4 the good side managed to appliarize Minerva in last episode
I want a giant owl, but we'll probably get a giant woman.

Episode 49:
That human application project scene might be one of the darkest scenes in Digimon history (maybe only behind Episode 13 of 02). Seeing all of those people scream while they were ground up was just harrowing. Like, I was not expecting anything on that level.

The rest of the episode was really great, too. The scenes of Haru in despair were really well done, and that bit where Yuujin shows up just to mess with him more was so awful. I'm wondering how the stuff with the other Yuujin will play out; maybe that Yuujin was a program created to be more convincing as Haru's friend, but has taken on a mind of his own due to Minerva? And then we'll probably see him wind up sacrificing himself to take down YJ-14. That would make sense given his appli drive question. Oh, and then you have that whole "Chosen Children" drop at the end of the episode.

Just three episodes left now. We have all the makings of a top tier finale in the works, and Appmon should wind up for me as one of the better seasons of Digimon.

Watch Da Birdie

That was great with Yuujin in the window and being all nice and then that sudden change to "hurry up and Applirealize your God Appmon!" was awesome.

I'm guessing since Leviathan is an A.I., maybe there's some weird "rules" it still has to follow where it needs Haru to use his God Rank to achieve a total victory or something?

Top Bottom