• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Turns 20 Today. Let's celebrate the greatest series on earth

C1dZNGOXcAEZAdq.jpg

On June 26th, 1997, Bandai released the Digital Monster pet, the first in their line of a new sister series to the Tamagotchi focused around raising monsters and battling them with your friends. Created primarily by Volcano Ota (who remained involved with the franchise until a few years ago) and artist Kenji Watanabe (who remains the main Digimon artist to this day), the original Virtual Pet had a total of 14 Digimon that could be raised by the player (Botamon, Koromon, Agumon, Betamon, Greymon, Tyaranomon, Devimon, Meramon, Airdramon, Seadramon, Numemon, MetalGreymon (the original blue virus type one, not that orange one you're thinking of), Mamemon and Monzaemon). These humble beginnings would lead, over the next few years, to a massive series spanning almost every medium imaginable.

In 1998, the very first Digimon video game was released, Digital Monster ver. S for the Sega Saturn. The first manga series, V-Tamer, began shortly afterwards, and would run for 5 years. The original anime began in March of 1999, with the first movie premiering the day before, and the series continued from there. There would be four straight years of Digimon anime aired through 2003, and although the series took a rest on TV after that, it would never be gone for more than a few years.

DDN61hVXYAAzurp.jpg

Today, Digimon is a massive cross media franchise including eight different TV anime (including the currently running and very good Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters), nine movies, a currently running OVA series, more than 50 video games across 16 different platforms, seven different card games, numerous manga, more than 50 Virtual pets and Digivices, and much more beyond that.

While once the number of Digimon was quite small, today there are roughly 1300 Digimon from numerous different eras of the series. Perhaps more than anything else, the series has shown the tremendous capacity to evolve (pun definitely intended) itself. Some of this has been out of necessity as the series has faded from the view from time to time, but some of it has been even during times of strength. The same franchise has produced the original V-Pets, V-Tamer, Digimon World 1, Adventure, Frontier, the Project X series, Xros Wars, Cyber Sleuth and Appmon, and somehow it has always managed to maintain the absolute essence of what it means to be Digimon. The ideas behind Digimon, the digital world, and all of the associated concepts remain as thrilling today as they were 20 years ago.

In about 7 hours, Bandai will be hosting a livestream for the 20th anniversary. They'll be showing off the new 20th anniversary V-Pet that officially launches today (although some people in Japan have had them for a couple of days), show off some more footage from Hacker's Memory, and probably more besides that. With Appmon about to enter its final act coming off a string of really strong episodes, the V-Pet line coming back, Hacker's Memory looking amazing, and lots more stuff being teased, it's possible that there's never been a better time to be a Digimon fan.

So let's all share our memories of this great series that has changed so much over the years, and our hopes for what we'd like to see from Digimon in the future.

And any fans who weren't aware of it, feel free to drop in the Community Thread if you want to. We don't bite.

jwk94

I ahd no clue there was a new anime. I still remember seeing the movie and trying to figure out how to get into the digital world with my friend. Oh lord the things anime makes you do.

Also, gonna use this as an opportunity to declare Digimon 02 (THE DUB) and Frontier as the best seasons outta the first four. I stopped watching after that. >.>

EDIT:
Why does new kid's digivice look like he stole it off future Enzo from Reboot?

I can still remember getting into Digimon for the first time back around 2000, after I had initially dismissed it as a Pokemon ripoff. My friend forced me to watch the first episode of 02, and within a couple of months I was on Megchan's board and watching raw Japanese clips of Digimon. I got obsessed pretty hard, and never really looked back. I can remember being shocked when the first details of Tamers leaked online, and being overjoyed when X-Evolution and later Savers were announced when I thought the series was dead.

To me, Digimon has been a really important fandom for me for a long time now. There's just something about the series that has appealed to me throughout almost every incarnation (although it took me about 12 years to come around on Frontier). I'm feeling really happy with the direction of things lately, so I hope that we can keep getting some great new Digimon material.

I ahd no clue there was a new anime. I still remember seeing the movie and trying to figure out how to get into the digital world with my friend. Oh lord the things anime makes you do.

Also, gonna use this as an opportunity to declare Digimon 02 (THE DUB) and Frontier as the best seasons outta the first four. I stopped watching after that. >.>

EDIT:

A 02 fan. Those seem to be rare these days.

And yeah, there's a new series airing right now, although it hasn't gotten any official release outside of Japan. It's really enjoyable though. They've done a great job at modernizing the idea for kids of today, while retaining the essence of Digimon.

I remember waking up every Saturday morning to watch it on Fox kids. Can't believe it's already been 20 years, lol.

Always preferred the Japanese evolution theme compared to the American one.
SHOW ME YOUR BRAVE HEART!

Yeah, the Japanese music is so good. Brave Heart is an amazing song.

I remember waking up every Saturday morning to watch it on Fox kids. Can't believe it's already been 20 years, lol.
Yup.
Then begging for the Jetix channel so I could watch Data Squad when it first aired in the US. Oh the memories. I've been following since Adventure first hit US.
I love you, Digimon </3
It's a very important part of my childhood.

Is anything post-Savers good? I checked out Tri a while back and was wildly disappointed.

Xros Wars starts out slow, but it gets great in the Death Generals arc (the sequel is trash, though). Appmon has been really enjoyable. It lags for a few times in the middle, but the characters are great and the plot has been pretty enjoyable (especially with things about to hit endgame).

Both are relatively non-traditional, though, in terms of how the Digimon are treated, so they can be an acquired taste.

So is this V line like the originals or something? I'd be interested if that's so.

The Ver 20th V-Pet is aiming to be similar to the originals, although with the Ultimate level added in. It has all of the Digimon from the first 5 V-Pets, along with some new ones.

Lynd7

Xros Wars starts out slow, but it gets great in the Death Generals arc (the sequel is trash, though). Appmon has been really enjoyable. It lags for a few times in the middle, but the characters are great and the plot has been pretty enjoyable (especially with things about to hit endgame).

Both are relatively non-traditional, though, in terms of how the Digimon are treated, so they can be an acquired taste.

The Ver 20th V-Pet is aiming to be similar to the originals, although with the Ultimate level added in. It has all of the Digimon from the first 5 V-Pets, along with some new ones.

Cool, sounds good. I haven't had one since the originals, so these new ones wouldn't require battling real people? I think you had to with the old ones to evolve right?

Are they to be limited?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
How's the new show? And how far along are those tri specials?

Savers > Tamers > Adventure > Frontier = Xros Wars > Adventure 02 IMO.

The fucking GOAT.

God, only 20 years old? Damn. Digimon was my shit from Adventure through Tamers. I was around for a bit of Frontier too. Cheers to one of the greats.

Cool, sounds good. I haven't had one since the originals, so these new ones wouldn't require battling real people? I think you had to with the old ones to evolve right?

Are they to be limited?

The first set already sold out in pre-orders, but they have three new colors that will be going up for pre-orders tomorrow.

There will be single player battling, even including some Digimon that are only in the V-Pet as opponents.

I largely agree with your ranking (although I'd put Tamers over Savers), and I'd say that Appmon right now is in the Frontier/Xros Wars range, but I could see it finishing it up higher depending on how good the final set of episodes are. They've made some interesting plotting decisions with some storylines bubbling beneath the surface for most of the run of the show.

arigato

What were the best Digimon games? I'm really interested in getting Cyber Sleuth and eventually Hackers Memory as long as the reviews are positive.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've been a Digimon fan for a long time now. Caught Adventure when it aired on YTV/Fox, and it was more amazing that the Pokemon rip-off I had thought. I eventually tossed Pokemon aside for a few years too after that (and I loved Pokemon!) After that, I loved both instead of a "which is better" fight. I was big into the Pojo forums, checked out news and fanart on Megchan... But Digimon was a lot more than that. It became a gateway to anime in general, subs, and p2p and torrents. I couldn't go back to dubbed Digimon, which I loved, when I would find eps of Tamers raw/subbed. The music... the voices... Then I found the movies subbed, and that blew my mind, since I already watched my dubbed VHS s bunch of time.

Oh yes, it's been an important fandom to me, and I've stuck with it all these years. :)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really that bad? I dropped it during the Christmas episode.

It's not. It's just different than the normal Digimon concept, so I feel like that's the reason people hate it. It's pretty good right now.
(And clearly people that say that have not seen Boy Hunters).

ZhkEhY0.jpg

I find Appmon to be good (great sometimes), even if it has pacing issues. Be prepared for a comedic tone.

Tri is at part 4 of 6 currently. Part 5 premieres in September

They broadcast it on network TV where I lived, and then pulled it one day. We didn't get cable until well after I stopped caring about the series.

The last thing I remember is that somehow the Digimon had gotten into the real world, and there being a giant red energy dome or something.

nickgia

1 was great and 2 is good just for being associated with 1.

I also really enjoyed Tamers. Never saw any of the other ones.

I've been a Digimon fan for a long time now. Caught Adventure when it aired on YTV/Fox, and it was more amazing that the Pokemon rip-off I had thought. I eventually tossed Pokemon aside for a few years too after that (and I loved Pokemon!) After that, I loved both instead of a "which is better" fight. I was big into the Pojo forums, checked out news and fanart on Megchan... But Digimon was a lot more than that. It became a gateway to anime in general, subs, and p2p and torrents. I couldn't go back to dubbed Digimon, which I loved, when I would find eps of Tamers raw/subbed. The music... the voices... Then I found the movies subbed, and that blew my mind, since I already watched my dubbed VHS s bunch of time.

Oh yes, it's been an important fandom to me, and I've stuck with it all these years. :)

Yeah, same for me. I went onto the Megchan boards back around Fall of 2000 after I had discovered Digimon, and that was really my gateway to fandom as a whole. I discovered raw anime, jpop, fan art, what "yaoi and yuri" were, and all sorts of stuff from that forum and the fandom.

Before I knew it, I knew exactly when Anime Intro Archive would have their Digimon clips up from that week's episode, and I knew who Wada Kouji and Ai Maeda were, and I was in this whole new world. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Amalthea

Banned
I found the original Digimon World in good condition in a thriftstore a few days ago. Might pop it into my PSX today to celebrate.

I can still remember how they hyped the original Digimon pet (the brickwall looking ones) on the local news years before the show was released here and I really wanted that (or the Digivice version later), yet it propably was never released in my country.

I thought this this was the fucking pinnacle of animation as a kid

m7a06ST.gif

It's funny, at the time it was "oh man, they gave WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon the awesome CG animation while the others are stuck with the boring old animation", and now these days it's "oh man, WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon are stuck looking like shit while the other Digimon got some proper animation that aged reasonably well".

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, same for me. I went onto the Megchan boards back around Fall of 2000 after I had discovered Digimon, and that was really my gateway to fandom as a whole. I discovered raw anime, jpop, fan art, what "yaoi and yuri" were, and all sorts of stuff from that forum and the fandom.

Before I knew it, I knew exactly when Anime Intro Archive would have their Digimon clips up from that week's episode, and I knew who Wada Kouji and Ai Maeda were, and I was in this whole new world. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I used that site too! The early 2000s were an amazing time for anime. That site helped me find shows like Angelic Layer, Chobits, RahXephon, and others.

Megchan's site taught me what "gijinka" were (humanoid Digimon) and yet I've never heard that phrase used since... Fanart from people like Splash (who is now part of a Pokemon community I'm in) was big with fanart with things like Taito, and I learned about shounen-ai etc. (I also came across Digimon hentai when looking up art... I've never been able to get the Taichi x Agumon image washed from my memory since :/)

Feltrol

Banned
Such a big part of my childhood -- specially Digimon Tamers (Digimon 3). To this day, I could say it's one of my favorite shows of all time and sure helped me take note of many things back in the day.

I love the concept of Matrix Evolution (Biomerge in the US) so much!

Lynx_7

Are they really champions tho?

"Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon are second place to Pokemon and arguably third now that Yokai Watch is a thing" just wasn't as catchy I guess. :p

Adventures 1 is a legitimately great anime and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. Tamers is great too, though it's a bit more inconsistent. I tried to like Frontier but just couldn't force myself to give a shit 30 episodes in so I gave up.

Still a franchise that I think fondly of and Cyber Sleuth was great. Gonna check out the recent World game whenever I have some spare money.

People first get into fanfiction for all kinds of series, Usually it's stuff like sonic or NGE, but for me Digimon was my first. I think it says alot to really, REALLY like something so much that you would want so much more of it even when it ended.

(Ironically my first fic I've ever read was a yaoi fic do you can imagine my utter confusion)

I've long since moved on from fanfics but Digimon would always be my first of first.

EDIT: Greatest series on Earth and in Cyberspace!

Great series, though there's a couple of series I haven't seen.

Tri leaves one wanting, but we'll have to see when it's all done. The series progression is questionable.

It's not. It's just different than the normal Digimon concept, so I feel like that's the reason people hate it. It's pretty good right now.
(And clearly people that say that have not seen Boy Hunters).
I was always planning on getting back into it, I just wasn't feeling it at the time. Good to hear!
Nothing can be worse than Boy Hunters. I will always be mad about Toei treating its anniversary like that.
I thought this this was the fucking pinnacle of animation as a kid

m7a06ST.gif
This looked so good as a kid but now it looks so bland.
Same goes with the Adventure 02 and Tamers CGI.

Prologue

EDIT:

Frontier better than Tamers?!

1 and 2 are ok (2 much less so on its own)
3 is far too boring
4 is lol
5 is the GOAT

Haven't had the time to watch beyond that

Tamers, season 3, is boring?

Tamers was some heavy shit. My mind was blown at that young aged. Touched on so many mature themes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing can be worse than Boy Hunters. I will always be mad about Toei treating its anniversary like that.

I still remember that it felt like they cancelled the show early on. It was going NOWHERE plot-wise. Then out of nowhere.... surprise surprise fan service climatic ending!! It was great to see, but ended as quickly as the climax started. Leaving you with a "that was neat blantant fan service... but the show still sucks overall" feeling. Did not help redeem it :/

Frontier is not THAT bad.
It just did a lot of stupid things like giving Takuya and Kouji TWO super evolutions while everyone else was still stuck with human and beast spirit.
Totally enjoyed it.

This looked so good as a kid but now it looks so bland.
Same goes with the Adventure 02 and Tamers CGI.

Man, Sakuyamon got soooo lucky. Her evolution sequence still looks great.

Frontier better than Tamers?!

Tamers, season 3, is boring?

Tamers was some heavy shit. My mind was blown at that young aged. Touched on so many mature themes.

Even if you find Tamers boring, you still have to respect the amount of thought put into it. Especially coming after the season where the writers were flying by the seat of their pants.

Frontier is not THAT bad.
It just did a lot of stupid things like giving Takuya and Kouji TWO super evolutions while everyone else was still stuck with human and beast spirit.
Totally enjoyed it.

Frontier gets too much hate, even if its last arc isn't the best.

Top Bottom