• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: AEW Fight Forever - DF Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Switch vs PC - Feat. The PC Police Officer

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yuke's returns to the wrestling game genre with AEW Fight Forever and you shall learn all about it and the whole wrestling game in general in this astonishing content, featuring a BESPOKE COLLABORATION with the PC Police Officer. It's unmissable. Subscribe for more Digital Foundry

00:00 - Introduction - Don't Skip This, You Jabronies
00:49 - Please Welcome Our Hosts
02:04 - What The Heck is AEW?!
03:23 - Let's Talk Visuals
07:34 - Platform Comparisons
11:19 - The PC Version (featuring PC Police Officer)
14:45 - Frame-Rate Analysis
18:02 - Audi Talks For Four Minutes About This Game

Last edited:

Banned
all 3 current gen versions having the exact same graphics settings is such a weird ass choice...
why not reduce the Series S to 1080p and stabilize the framerate? why not offer a 120fps mode on the big consoles?

so weird... it runs at 1440p 120fps on a 2060 super and a Zen2 with 50% GPU utilisation 🙃

it's UE4 but only has DLSS and no TSR support... not that it would be needed unless your GPU is 20 years old, but still weird.

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Technically not as good as the WWE game.
- Wrestler intros are quick and short, not grand like the WWE games
- Arenas lack detail of the WWE games, but are quite interactive

- PS5 / Series S / Series X all run at 1512p with same visual settings
- Switch runs at 720p docked and around 480p portable
- Switch pares back lots of visuals (shadows, motion blur etc all gone), textures are extremely blurry
- Still in better shape than the WWE games on Switch, looks alright on portable.

- PC version as very barebones options. DLSS included but no FSR.
- 2060 Super can hit 4K/60 with DLSS, no DLSS can reach 1440p/120 without issue
- Very light on system requirements in general.
- No shader comp stutters
- PC version has some awkward control / keyboard related issues but otherwise it's ok
- PC versions modding scene is already blowing up

- PS5 / SX run at flawless 60 FPS.
- Series S drops frames in cinematics when DoF is used. General game play is locked 60 with some drops in specific match types like exploding ring
- Switch locked to 30 with improper frame-pacing. Runs better than the WWE games while looking a lot blurrier

- All versions barring Switch load like cartridge, Switch takes 6, 7 seconds to load each segment.

Last edited:

SomeGit

The announced battle royal mode seems cool, might get this later down the line it seems way more fun than the recent 2K games. Strange the “high” series S res though.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

My lad is a massive wrestling fan so I got him this as a belated birthday present (had it pre-ordered eons ago)..it's in no way a title with all the glitz, bells and whistles of the WWE games but it is a lot of fun, especially if your old enough to remember No Mercy on the N64 and all those arcade wrestlers.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My lad is a massive wrestling fan so I got him this as a belated birthday present (had it pre-ordered eons ago)..it's in no way a title with all the glitz, bells and whistles of the WWE games but it is a lot of fun, especially if your old enough to remember No Mercy on the N64 and all those arcade wrestlers.
Yeah, game looks just fun.

T4keD0wN

Unreal engine 4 and no stutter.
I cant believe it, i was told its not possible, there is just too many possible configurations for it to be possible... :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
480p

Stare Staring GIF

DaGwaphics

Props to DF for making a funny video, the intros were very WWE. I give them a thumbs up.

As for the developers simultaneously under-utilizing the PS5/XSX while pushing beyond the limits of the XSS, I've got to give them a thumbs down for that effort. If you are just trying to use the same version across all three something has gone wrong.

Banned
Props to DF for making a funny video, the intros were very WWE. I give them a thumbs up.

As for the developers simultaneously under-utilizing the PS5/XSX while pushing beyond the limits of the XSS, I've got to give them a thumbs down for that effort. If you are just trying to use the same version across all three something has gone wrong.

don't forget the fact that the pause menu on PC only works with a controller lol...

the game doesn't feel like they gave any platform any real time. they made most likely the PS5 version (cuz japanese studio) and then just used that as the max PC version, and didn't adjust anything from there for the other consoles.

“The past two WWE games haven’t been good” ? Wtf they’ve been praised for 22 being a great reboot and 23 being a polishing of said reboot. I love the N64 wrestling games but 23 pisses all over AEW in every single facet from visuals to career mode to create a wrestler to roster depth. If WWE released this they’d be fucking destroyed lol.

I bought AEW for PS5 and Switch and it’s a fun game but it’s lacking in every department. A 7 is about right imo. Hopefully it sells well, they get more of a budget and they build on a solid foundation for the sequel.

I found this video cringe as fuck and I don’t often use that word. Linneman gets more annoying with every passing video. He’s turned into a bit of an egomaniac who regularly has meltdowns on twitter.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Jeez some people here have a stick up their ass, DF does a fun video for a fun game playing into the Wrestling promos and some of you are losing it, the only thing I thought was missing was a Macho Man Randy Savage impersonation.

adamsapple

Jeez some people here have a stick up their ass, DF does a fun video for a fun game playing into the Wrestling promos and some of you are losing it, the only thing I thought was missing was a Macho Man Randy Savage impersonation.

Z7HeRxU.png

Connxtion

Got it on the switch and it runs great bar the random 1sec freezes during matches & the random bugs that pop up from time to time 😑

Love the gameplay, but hate the lack of game modes, match types and create a wrestler options.

Let’s hope we get more match types (even the ones from career mode, 3 way ladder match etc…) and create a wrestler options.

Kinda regretting paying £69.99 for this game considering it went on bloody sale a couple days later 😡 (base game did)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really couldn't care less about wrestling if I tried, but holy shit this looks terrible. Like a bad 1st generation PS360 game.

There’s nothing wrong with having fun when it’s funny. That video was not imo aswell as talking a lot of nonsense regarding 2k22/23 and I’m not against pro wrestling (was a huge fan from 90-2005).

Top Bottom